auburn swimming thread (for everything men and women)

TrumanCrockett

That's not a good sign for the men's team. Any info on any specific reason for the poor showing, like some guys didn't make the trip, or flu, or something?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's not a good sign for the men's team. Any info on any specific reason for the poor showing, like some guys didn't make the trip, or flu, or something?

Dave's Gone.

• 4 weeks later...

Dave's Gone.

Indiana shaved for this duel meet!

It was on the BIG 10 Network and they wanted to look good- so I'm told.

Coaches believe they have a Top 5 team this year.

Here's Hoping!

• 3 months later...

So, did I see correctly that after day 4 of the SEC Championships our women's team is #6 and our men's team is #3?

My, how fall we've fallen. I say it's time give another call to Marsh and ask him what he needs to come back, if he'll even listen.

A dismal result. On to nationals, where Auburn may not even finish in the top 10 this year. I'm hoping, though, that a few of our athletes can finish on the podium.

I'm not criticizing the swimmers, because they have worked very hard all year and have given their best. My criticism of Hawke is really not so much as a swimming coach, since I've never seen him work, but as a recruiter. He just hasn't been able to attract the level of talent that Marsh did. This is not necessarily his fault. It's just reality.

My real criticism is Jay Jacobs, who single-handedly undermined Auburn's most powerful athletics team. He has made some redemptive hires recently, hiring Malzahn and Pearl. He has not yet manned up about the swimming program.

one bright spot - the AU 4x100 Free Relay won, again. That makes 10 x in a row that AU men have won the final race of the SEC title for that event.

A dismal result. On to nationals, where Auburn may not even finish in the top 10 this year. I'm hoping, though, that a few of our athletes can finish on the podium.

I'm not criticizing the swimmers, because they have worked very hard all year and have given their best. My criticism of Hawke is really not so much as a swimming coach, since I've never seen him work, but as a recruiter. He just hasn't been able to attract the level of talent that Marsh did. This is not necessarily his fault. It's just reality.

My real criticism is Jay Jacobs, who single-handedly undermined Auburn's most powerful athletics team. He has made some redemptive hires recently, hiring Malzahn and Pearl. He has not yet manned up about the swimming program.

That is one more change that we're going to have to make and not the only one.

Its a depth issue. We no longer have the deep teams we had in the past to compete as a team for the NCAA's or the SEC's.

Its a depth issue. We no longer have the deep teams we had in the past to compete as a team for the NCAA's or the SEC's.

I agree with that, all one has to do is look at the meet results. I clearly remember one year when the AU men won the NCAA meet without a single swimmer finishing first. We won a bunch of meets by having guys and girls finishing 2,3,4 and 3,4,5,6.

The question is, we had that depth of talent once. Why is it not here now?

• 2 weeks later...

AU women currently in 22nd after day two at NCAA championships

It doesn't seem like that long ago that the AU women had the championship all but wrapped up after day two. That was in Auburn. Fun meet to attend!

Auburn women finish 18th at the NCAA, with only 66 total points. Three SEC teams finished ahead of Auburn. The winner, Cal, had almost 450 more points than Auburn. Georgia with 450 points. It's not just a depth issue. Only 1 Auburn woman finished in the top 10 of her individual event, and only 3 swimmers other than the relay team finished in the top 30.

Again, it is not a criticism of these athletes, who have worked so hard all year. Auburn just has not been able to recruit top swimmers under Hawke.

This program has really fallen. It's very disappointing. Perhaps a coaching change is needed here? Would love for David Marsh to return but I'm not sure that's realistic.

This program has really fallen. It's very disappointing. Perhaps a coaching change is needed here? Would love for David Marsh to return but I'm not sure that's realistic.

I'm with you. Wish we could get him to come back home, but don't know if that's possible.

I'm with you. Wish we could get him to come back home, but don't know if that's possible.

Not while JJ is there imo could be wrong but don't think so

Not while JJ is there imo could be wrong but don't think so

Lots of hard feelings there. JJ would have to make the first movd. Pride is a terrible master.

Isn't that what everyone said about Muschamp and JJ. Muschamp would never come back, but here he is.

Two different situations. Will Muschamp, (bless his heart), is no David Marsh. In Muschamp you have a failed head coach seeking shelter from the storm. In Marsh, you have a coach with ten National Championships to his credit that is currently highly successful in a very lucrative and rewarding position. Marsh might return to Auburn if he were offered the AD job but I don't think he comes back for less than that.

Archived