General coaching hire discussion (your random tossed out name is probably merged here)

TitanTiger

Who will be the next coach  

326 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be our next head coach?

• Gus Malzhan
    • Charlie Strong
    • Jimbo Fisher
    • Jeff Fisher
    • David Shaw
    • Bobby Petrino
    • Bob Stoops
    • Other

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay folks:

• $$$ would not keep AU from getting the coach we want.
  • Bobby Petrino will not coach at AU
  • Jim Mora Jr. is a complete gamble. He beat USC...Woooo!
  • We need a coach that has already won somewhere and that will be able to recruit against the big boys.

Jimbo Fisher makes more sense than anyone else. IMO. Keeping Chizik would be no more of a gamble than BP or JMJr. At least we know that he can win with great players. (I say great players not great talent. There is a difference.) That can't be said of others...yet.

PM just posted something VIP regarding petrino to auburn. PM has been all over the map, but I would disagree with making a bold statement saying petrino WON'T coach at auburn.

Its kinda funny to think that Auburn is going to just swoop in and take one of these first year coaches at another program, then buy out their contract, pay Chiz's buyout and pay the new HCs salary. Yes it doesn't have to be paid upfront but its still an obligation. I mean before I would go the the hassle of an O'Brien, why not just go with a proven winning SEC Head Coach, one who hates bama with a passion, one that would cause steam to come out the ears of all bammers, one that already has a 152- 52- 0 record at an SEC program ? You want a proven winner as a HC ? Well here is one for you and he has been out of coaching only 4 years .

Phil Fulmer ;D/>

Doing good til you mentioned philly

Well, if you were "doing good" until his name was mentioned, that must mean he has the necessary credentials. ;)/>

That previous post was only half serious on my part but if you look at his body of work, he actually is more accomplished and successful at the things people say are important than any of the other names being mentioned. Hmmm, I think I've convinced myself. Maybe I need to get on the Phil Fulmer bus.

I agree he has the credentials, but the masses may not be willing to agree with your suggestion.....Do you think AU would listen if he called?

Brock Huard was on with The Sports Czars in B'ham this afternoon. Caught it on TuneIn. His thoughts on why AU is one of the best HC jobs in college football....

1. Rabid fanbase willing to support program "no matter what" in order to win.
  2. 1st Class facilities. Among the best there is.
  3. Play in the best conference in the nation.
  4. Have won or has the ability to win NC's in recent past and/or near future.
  5. Ability to recruit Top 10 classes within a 2 hour flight.

He also said JJ is among the best as an AD based on his travels and working games all over the country.

I know, I know, it's Brock Huard and he isn't an SEC guy. Still he has seen just about every college campus in the last few years. It is what he does. He wasn't being paid to say nice things though and he mentioned that his rep is on the line when he makes such statements and he thinks JJ can make the hire we need.

I appreciated what he said about AU being among the PREMIER HC jobs in the NCAA!

Discuss......

I may be in the minority but I think JJ is an adequate AD, I just wonder what amount of control he truly has over the program....I am not an insider or no any, but have met JJ several times and he is as solid as person you could ever meet, plus he bleeds orange and blue....

Its kinda funny to think that Auburn is going to just swoop in and take one of these first year coaches at another program, then buy out their contract, pay Chiz's buyout and pay the new HCs salary. Yes it doesn't have to be paid upfront but its still an obligation. I mean before I would go the the hassle of an O'Brien, why not just go with a proven winning SEC Head Coach, one who hates bama with a passion, one that would cause steam to come out the ears of all bammers, one that already has a 152- 52- 0 record at an SEC program ? You want a proven winner as a HC ? Well here is one for you and he has been out of coaching only 4 years .

Phil Fulmer ;D/>

Doing good til you mentioned philly

Well, if you were "doing good" until his name was mentioned, that must mean he has the necessary credentials. ;)/>

That previous post was only half serious on my part but if you look at his body of work, he actually is more accomplished and successful at the things people say are important than any of the other names being mentioned. Hmmm, I think I've convinced myself. Maybe I need to get on the Phil Fulmer bus.

I agree he has the credentials, but the masses may not be willing to agree with your suggestion.....Do you think AU would listen if he called?

You know what, the more I think about it, the more I would think Auburn would be foolish NOT to listen to PF. He had a very impressive body of work at Tennessee.

With Arkansas offering Gruden it just shows that ARK & TN are going to be going all out to get a top notch HC. I love Chucky but I don't know that he would thrive at the college level. If he takes a shot I think he would at TN where his wife went to school. His hire would create a buzz. though.

War Eagle !

Well Kiffin created a buzz at Tenn too.....everyone was after him (including a bunch of AU folks) so you just never know how things will turn out.

who exactly do some of yall want as hc Fisher lost to NC State, Strong lost to Syracuse so that rules both of them out? there is no perfect guy out there Satan of uat had losses to ulm and uab most of the big named coaches have a few bad losses under their belt Jim Mora Jr. will likely have some as well, Bob Stoops has lost to several teams he should've beaten, there is no perfect guy for head coach

Re; The comment on JJ.

I expect he looks pretty good from the outside. AU has world class facilities, a great game day experience, quality people in most all coaching roles and (other than this year) a pretty consistently good sports program and.... he runs runs a profitable program. Can you imagine a school like UT having financial problems in the athletic department?

We need to be careful about letting our emotions run away with us regarding Jacobs. People who see the entire universe of ADs probably have a better appreciation of the job he does....and very few schools fire the AD over a losing football season. Think what it must be like to be AD at a school like Duke that considers a 6-6 football season as a major accomplishment. Cutcliffe is 21-37 at Duke and they love him.

Not arguing any particular point...just suggesting that an outside perspective from a person like Huard should not be ignored just because he is not an SEC guy. Nobody is good all the time and if we were located in any other state than Alabama, I expect most alums would be much happier people.

who exactly do some of yall want as hc Fisher lost to NC State, Strong lost to Syracuse so that rules both of them out? there is no perfect guy out there Satan of uat had losses to ulm and uab most of the big named coaches have a few bad losses under their belt Jim Mora Jr. will likely have some as well, Bob Stoops has lost to several teams he should've beaten, there is no perfect guy for head coach

Personally I like Gus Malzahn, Jeff Fisher, Butch Jones, Jack Del Rio, and Charlie Strong...

Re; The comment on JJ.

I expect he looks pretty good from the outside. AU has world class facilities, a great game day experience, quality people in most all coaching roles and (other than this year) a pretty consistently good sports program and.... he runs runs a profitable program. Can you imagine a school like UT having financial problems in the athletic department?

We need to be careful about letting our emotions run away with us regarding Jacobs. People who see the entire universe of ADs probably have a better appreciation of the job he does....and very few schools fire the AD over a losing football season. Think what it must be like to be AD at a school like Duke that considers a 6-6 football season as a major accomplishment. Cutcliffe is 21-37 at Duke and they love him.

Not arguing any particular point...just suggesting that an outside perspective from a person like Huard should not be ignored just because he is not an SEC guy. Nobody is good all the time and if we were located in any other state than Alabama, I expect most alums would be much happier people.

Good points 64, but JJ is responsible now for two huge FB HC buyouts. I also remember his "going to go after the best" comments last time and it turned into the "Where's Waldo" goofball tour with the media following him. He did NOT interview one big time candidate. I just don't know if he has it in him.

War Eagle !

Anyone remember when you might be able to get an inside scoop on a message board instead of wild guesses from people who don't know the difference between Jimbo and Jeff Fisher or how to spell Chizik, Malzahn and Tuberville? 113 pages of very little.

Bobby Petrino has fired his agent who also represents Chizik, bc of a conflict of interests between representation. Aka, there is a big possibility BP could be AUs next hc. Per Phillip Marshall.

Get out yer blue motorcycles and die yer wife's hair orange... Ther's a new boy comin' to the Plains....

God can't help us cus we asked for it...

Geez... Never thought AU would be this desperate....

Re; The comment on JJ.

Good points 64, but JJ is responsible now for two huge FB HC buyouts. I also remember his "going to go after the best" comments last time and it turned into the "Where's Waldo" goofball tour with the media following him. He did NOT interview one big time candidate. I just don't know if he has it in him.

War Eagle !

While he has been responsible for one and possibly another large contract buyout, he has also been responsible for drawing in revenues that dwarf those minor obstacles.

I was listening to that too. He sounds like he can STILL go out there and clean clocks. Let's get Kevin and Takeo back to coach our D. That will get them going. Kevin LB Coach and let Takeo "What neck are you referring to?" Spikes can be our S/C Coach.

Game-set-match.

Greene played DE for Auburn in a 4-3. Greene for DL Coach Spikes for LB coach... Greene is one of my favorite Auburn defensive players of all time.

Quentin Groves coaching the DL

Is he going to quit playing for Arizona?

I dunno but it would be cool to have him come back home and teach these guys to get some push on the OL

Quentin Groves coaching the DL

Is he going to quit playing for Arizona?

For that matter is Takeo leaving the Chargers?

Archived