General coaching hire discussion (your random tossed out name is probably merged here)

TitanTiger

Who will be the next coach  

326 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be our next head coach?

• Gus Malzhan
    • Charlie Strong
    • Jimbo Fisher
    • Jeff Fisher
    • David Shaw
    • Bobby Petrino
    • Bob Stoops
    • Other

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its kinda funny to think that Auburn is going to just swoop in and take one of these first year coaches at another program, then buy out their contract, pay Chiz's buyout and pay the new HCs salary. Yes it doesn't have to be paid upfront but its still an obligation. I mean before I would go the the hassle of an O'Brien, why not just go with a proven winning SEC Head Coach, one who hates bama with a passion, one that would cause steam to come out the ears of all bammers, one that already has a 152- 52- 0 record at an SEC program ? You want a proven winner as a HC ? Well here is one for you and he has been out of coaching only 4 years .

Phil Fulmer ;D

Panthers are terrible with him as head coach. So, no.

Then again, Saban sucked as the Phins coach....

If he had signed Drew Brees instead of Dante Culpepper Bama may still be mired in mediocracy.

This statement is horrible exaggerated. Miami was worse the year before Saban got there and was worse the year directly after he left. Fact is, he was nowhere near as bad as is commonly suggested.

2004 (No Saban): 4-12

2005 (Saban): 9-7

2006 (Saban): 6-10

2007 (No Saban): 1-16

This statement is horrible exaggerated. Miami was worse the year before Saban got there and was worse the year directly after he left. Fact is, he was nowhere near as bad as is commonly suggested.

2004 (No Saban): 4-12

2005 (Saban): 9-7

2006 (Saban): 6-10

2007 (No Saban): 1-16

That's still not a "good" record. He may not have been a total flop but wasn't the patriots the only good team in the east at that time?

I really like the idea of Mora Jr. actually. I think it would be a superb hire.

I mentioned him a while back. He would be good and he has said he is interested in coming back down South. Jimbo has grown on me this past week. Would be happy if the rumor about him was true.

When did he say that...??

Just a couple more observations.

1. All of the coaches mentioned already have jobs...it's not like they are in bread lines desperate to take anything offered to them.

2. Do any of you consider the HC jobs at AU, UT, or UK or even Arky as the same thing? Each schools has it's pros and cons and I can't imagine any half intelligent coaching candidate considering them to be a toss-up such that he would take to to the first one that made an offer.

3. Likely each school will be looking for different coaching attributes...I mean, if Petrino is a great catch for AU as some declare, why is Arky letting him go? He's served his one year penalty so just put him back on the staff...how hard would that be?

4. Every coach in the profession knows the AU job is likely to come open in a few weeks so why take the first job opening that comes available? If you don't have to change jobs, why take something like UK. Any coach eager to change jobs, step up or whatever can just wait and see what develops at AU and several other better situations than UT, and UK.

5. I'm probably in the minority that thinks Gus took the Ark State job for career purposes and not just because he and Chiz disagreed. He turned down at least two "better" offers (if you look at the money)in the same time-frame but went where (1) his offense would be welcome (2) where he had great recruiting connections and (3) where he could be an immediate success. Check, check and check...all three objectives accomplished this season...way to go Gus.

So...just be patient folks.

Excellent

I will probably get blasted for this. A few of us have been talking about what should happen on the plains. WE have come up with a pretty good scenario. Fire Jacobs and hire a new AD. Give Chizik one more year to see if he can turn it around with the new recruiting class. This would give the new AD a year to find the right coach, and get a stellar recruiting class.

This is what's going to happen IMO

The sooner that bum is packing a moving van the better. 3-9 in year four in INEXCUSABLE. There is no grey area here. He has to go. It is not ok that we all know without a doubt that UA is going to beat our brains out and they will do so every year that Gene Chizik is the head coach. I hope you people that consider Chizik "family" enjoy the ass whipping we get Saturday. He is hired help. Enough of this family bullcrap

Try meditation

The sooner that bum is packing a moving van the better. 3-9 in year four in INEXCUSABLE. There is no grey area here. He has to go. It is not ok that we all know without a doubt that UA is going to beat our brains out and they will do so every year that Gene Chizik is the head coach. I hope you people that consider Chizik "family" enjoy the ass whipping we get Saturday. He is hired help. Enough of this family bullcrap

Try meditation medication

FIFY

If we chase after O'Brien, would we be willing to pay his buyout?

To your earlier question, no I actually hadn't seen his comments. To this question, I think it would depend on how badly Auburn wanted him. I genuinely hope AU goes after they best coach, regardless of money, because they have enough to afford any coach in the country. I don't believe buyouts or money in general is going to affect Auburns decision, if they are going after a coach. I'm getting a really sick feeling that Gogue is seriously contemplating keeping chizik. I could be wrong, but I get this strange feeling that if Auburn puts up a fight and holds the turds close (meaning no blowout), chiz might get one more year.

$$$$ will play a role in this decision....I know a lot of people deny it, but it will..

Its kinda funny to think that Auburn is going to just swoop in and take one of these first year coaches at another program, then buy out their contract, pay Chiz's buyout and pay the new HCs salary. Yes it doesn't have to be paid upfront but its still an obligation. I mean before I would go the the hassle of an O'Brien, why not just go with a proven winning SEC Head Coach, one who hates bama with a passion, one that would cause steam to come out the ears of all bammers, one that already has a 152- 52- 0 record at an SEC program ? You want a proven winner as a HC ? Well here is one for you and he has been out of coaching only 4 years .

Phil Fulmer ;D/>

Doing good til you mentioned philly

There's no way we blow out Alabama. But, there's a real good chance of them blowing Auburn out of the water by either helftime or mid way through the 3rd quarter.

We must make a push for MORA JR. I don't get why there are so many that hate on him I don't get it. I would rather have him over Charlie Strong and Jimbo Fisher. Jimbo I can see as becoming Mark Richt 2.0 (just a hunch don't get upset).

What has Fisher ever really done? He was on the NC team under Nick Saban that's it. What makes us think he is going to be great at Auburn? He is an offensive coach and I have never been impressed with his offense.

I like Strong but he isn't my first choice. I like Bobby Petrino but everyone is arguing about his "character". I truely believe that JMjr would be a Homerun hire! The question is could we get him to come to Auburn?

Mora will not be under consideration at all for the HC position at AU. There are no ties to AU, and there has been 0 indication that anyone close to the AU job is mentioning Mora as a possibility.

lurker here. not an Auburn fan but i just love college football talk. sorry if this has already been discussed but it seems that most want to quickly make a coaching change ASAP to save recruiting. But my thinking is this. Is 1 recruiting class worth a quick hire as opposed to waiting, researching, being a salesman all while trying to get the best guy for the job? I dont think Auburn is in a position to absorb what could happen if it's not a good hire.

Okay folks:

• $$$ would not keep AU from getting the coach we want.
  • Bobby Petrino will not coach at AU
  • Jim Mora Jr. is a complete gamble. He beat USC...Woooo!
  • We need a coach that has already won somewhere and that will be able to recruit against the big boys.

Jimbo Fisher makes more sense than anyone else. IMO. Keeping Chizik would be no more of a gamble than BP or JMJr. At least we know that he can win with great players. (I say great players not great talent. There is a difference.) That can't be said of others...yet.

Phil Fulmer ;D/>

Doing good til you mentioned philly

Well, if you were "doing good" until his name was mentioned, that must mean he has the necessary credentials. ;)

That previous post was only half serious on my part but if you look at his body of work, he actually is more accomplished and successful at the things people say are important than any of the other names being mentioned. Hmmm, I think I've convinced myself. Maybe I need to get on the Phil Fulmer bus.

Brock Huard was on with The Sports Czars in B'ham this afternoon. Caught it on TuneIn. His thoughts on why AU is one of the best HC jobs in college football....

1. Rabid fanbase willing to support program "no matter what" in order to win.
  2. 1st Class facilities. Among the best there is.
  3. Play in the best conference in the nation.
  4. Have won or has the ability to win NC's in recent past and/or near future.
  5. Ability to recruit Top 10 classes within a 2 hour flight.

He also said JJ is among the best as an AD based on his travels and working games all over the country.

I know, I know, it's Brock Huard and he isn't an SEC guy. Still he has seen just about every college campus in the last few years. It is what he does. He wasn't being paid to say nice things though and he mentioned that his rep is on the line when he makes such statements and he thinks JJ can make the hire we need.

I appreciated what he said about AU being among the PREMIER HC jobs in the NCAA!

Discuss......

Archived