General coaching hire discussion (your random tossed out name is probably merged here)

TitanTiger

Who will be the next coach  

326 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be our next head coach?

• Gus Malzhan
    • Charlie Strong
    • Jimbo Fisher
    • Jeff Fisher
    • David Shaw
    • Bobby Petrino
    • Bob Stoops
    • Other

It's easy to say that money should be no object when it's someone else's money.

For the people who are responsible for any budget, anywhere...including those managing the P and L of the Athletic Dept...money is always going to be an issue.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's easy to say that money should be no object when it's someone else's money.

For the people who are responsible for any budget, anywhere...including those managing the P and L of the Athletic Dept...money is always going to be an issue.

Auburn would happily run tighter margins....and win....We are one of the largest programs when it comes to profit

I bet when he started mowing your lawn every year he

e did a good job but had one year that he made some mistakes did you go out and find someone knowing you would have to pay more for the mowing would you no tell him that i want you to do better or I am going to get someone else.No loyalty in t he world anymore to If he repeafs no performace then. we makeca fhange. He leaves and you lose all these recruits you probably will say all we can do without them,no we cannott

makeca fhange? now you're speaking japanese? btw what does mowing the lawn have to do with coaching

Is there really something legit to the Bill O'Brien stuff? I sure wouldn't mind that considering what he's done at Penn St...

Apparently he has reached out to Auburn. I wondrr if ole Ted Roof actually talked us up to him or something. I wouldn't be opposed to Coach O'Brien

I read O'Brien going back to NFL...gonna be lots of jobs open in the next few weeks. Can't see him leaving PSU for another college job...even as bad as things will be when the probation effects really hit them.

Exodus 20:

" I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation for those who hate me. but showing steadfast love for those who keep my commandments".

Substitute NCAA in the appropriate places and you have what's going on at Penn State.

I bet when he started mowing your lawn every year he

e did a good job but had one year that he made some mistakes did you go out and find someone knowing you would have to pay more for the mowing would you no tell him that i want you to do better or I am going to get someone else.No loyalty in t he world anymore to If he repeafs no performace then. we makeca fhange. He leaves and you lose all these recruits you probably will say all we can do without them,no we cannott

Wow, I now know what it means to be delusional. You are comparing football to mowing lawns.

His buyout is $9.2M, so after firing Chizik and staff, we're looking at about $20M.

Actually, after reading his contract, his buyout would be $18.4 mil. It would have been $9.2 on the original contract, but when PSU was put on probation that kicked in a clause that added 4 more years to his original 5 year deal. Deal killer. He will not be coming to AU.

FWIW, here is a link to his original contract.

http://www.psu.edu/ur/2012/openness/OBrien_contract.pdf

Why would a high profile coach come here when if you dont win one bad year,and two tears ago you won the National Titleand now every body says bring another coach in. Chiz made a mistake on hiring a coach that rid not work out. Was he not the one that put together the right assistants when we won it all. People have turned there back on someone that won us a National Title. I remeber everyone saying Auburn hae a family atmosphere,but are we really. Every recruits says the same thing about us. We have a chance to bring in the best recruiting class we have ever had,and we turn our back on someone that we all said two years ago we are all family, so all of you that wants a high profile coac bring in a assistant coach that has never has no ties with Auburn. i am glad my rea family is not the way some have been. the man deserves one more year at first.

Seriously? The man is getting paid millions to WIN football games. If you want to call him family, fine. Thing is, everyone has family that they don't really want to have to see...........................................................EVER!

The best hire would be JIM MORA JR!!!!

We get a Petrino without the baggage. He has successful NFL experience, he would be good for recruiting, and he may even keep your boy BVG.

It would spark some excitment through out the plains!

HOMERUN HIRE!!!

While i totally support Chizik morally, in reality, not only did he have an absolute year of fail, but he followed it with unpermissible. When all was on his shoulders from last year, this year was too much. If it wasn't him, he'd have made oc or dc changes in week 3, 6, 9, we saw none of that. Only a steady decline.

We get a Petrino without the baggage. He has successful NFL experience, he would be good for recruiting, and he may even keep your boy BVG.

HOMERUN HIRE!!!

You are kidding yourself if you think Mora does not have baggage. In Atl, as Falcons coach he started off fine, but he became moody and difficult as the years went by. The Falcons were happy to see him go. He was let go after 1 year in Seattle. He is a West Coast guy.

HOMERUN HIRE!!!

You are kidding yourself if you think Mora does not have baggage. In Atl, as Falcons coach he started off fine, but he became moody and difficult as the years went by. The Falcons were happy to see him go. He was let go after 1 year in Seattle. He is a West Coast guy.

So Mora Jr. has more baggage then Petrino?? Nevermind then lets just get Petrino.

The 9.2M is in consideration of the sanctions.

I am not sure what you mean, but here is the exact language of the liquidated damages clause in the contract:

Coach may terminate this Contract for any reason upon written notice to University.

(Coach will be deemed to have terminated this Contract in the event Coach dies or Coach

becomes disabled or incapacitated and is continuously unable to perfmm any or all of Ills

obligations under tills contract for a period of at least six (6) months). If such termination (other

than by reason of death, disability, or incapacity) occurs during the term of tills contract or any

extension hereof, Coach will pay University as liquidated damages an amount equal to the

product of (i) Coach's Base Salary and Additional Compensation at the time of termination,

multiplied by (ii) the number of years remaining under this Contract at the time of termination. In

the case of partial years, the amount will be pro-rated by the number of months left in the partial

year. This amount will be in lieu of any and all other legal remedies available to University

pursuant to this paragraph.

HOMERUN HIRE!!!

So Mora Jr. has more baggage then Petrino?? Nevermind then lets just get Petrino.

The word here is "fit" Mora just is not a good fit in Auburn and SEC. I lived in ATL during his years in ATL, and he was players buddies. Our Tigers need structure, and discipline, and just not sure Jim Mora fits that need. Can he coach, sure. Is he doing welll at UCLA, sure, but would he be the best option at Auburn, just don't see it!

HOMERUN HIRE!!!

The word here is "fit" Mora just is not a good fit in Auburn and SEC. I lived in ATL during his years in ATL, and he was players buddies. Our Tigers need structure, and discipline, and just not sure Jim Mora fits that need. Can he coach, sure. Is he doing welll at UCLA, sure, but would he be the best option at Auburn, just don't see it!

Respectfully disagree. June Jones was a "players buddies" coach in ATL and has been an effective coach at the college level. Mora Jr. is a good coach and this year he has proven that. He has UCLA in the PAC 12 championship game with very little depth and mediocre talent. Do June Jones and Mora Jr. run undisciplined college programs? IMO, I don't think there is any evidence of that.

I agree the Tigers need some type of structure, but not the structure and discipline of hiring a security team to make sure they don't miss curfew.

HOMERUN HIRE!!!

Respectfully disagree. June Jones was a "players buddies" coach in ATL and has been an effective coach at the college level. Mora Jr. is a good coach and this year he has proven that. He has UCLA in the PAC 12 championship game with very little depth and mediocre talent. Do June Jones and Mora Jr. run undisciplined college programs? IMO, I don't think there is any evidence of that.

I agree the Tigers need some type of structure, but not the structure and discipline of hiring a security team to make sure they don't miss curfew.

I agree You have to be a players coach in the NFL. They will get rid of a coach before a star player! But does that mean that a coach can't preach discipline in college football? Pete Carroll is a players coach in college and NFL and been successful in both places. Anyways I think he will do fine at Auburn!

HOMERUN HIRE!!!

There are numerous reports that he has been very strict and disciplined with UCLA. I'd be happy to have him, but I will say the same with several coaches, who will be way better than the current HC.

We must make a push for MORA JR. I don't get why there are so many that hate on him I don't get it. I would rather have him over Charlie Strong and Jimbo Fisher. Jimbo I can see as becoming Mark Richt 2.0 (just a hunch don't get upset).

What has Fisher ever really done? He was on the NC team under Nick Saban that's it. What makes us think he is going to be great at Auburn? He is an offensive coach and I have never been impressed with his offense.

I like Strong but he isn't my first choice. I like Bobby Petrino but everyone is arguing about his "character". I truely believe that JMjr would be a Homerun hire! The question is could we get him to come to Auburn?

This is all great and wonderful but are we going to be hiring a new head coach?

I'm still waiting on some creditable evidence that would suggest that Chizik will not be retained after 2012.

This is all great and wonderful but are we going to be hiring a new head coach?

I'm still waiting on some creditable evidence that would suggest that Chizik will not be retained after 2012.

I'm with ya. 109 pages later and we still don't have an answer to the most important question. Will we actually be getting a new coach?

Archived