What "keys" will you watch for against UGA?

cadillacattack

I don’t know if y’all feel the same way, but IMO, Georgia is one good football team and may be the best team we’ll face all season. I like our chances, but I also recognize that Green has only lost one road game in his career, and that was to LSU last season. Damn good track record, but IMO the key to stopping Georgia is focusing on Max Jean-Gilles and Odell Thurman. Despite the hype surrounding Green and Pollack, if you control those two, you likely control the game within the game.

JMO, but there are three things I’ll be watching for early in the game as indicators that Auburn is in position to control the outcome:

1) The Battlefront - AU’s D-front against UGA’s O-Line will be the key. If Chizik’s scheme can successfully check the run and apply pressure without bringing a lot of help from the Safeties, then AU will be less susceptible to the play-action that has burned us in the past. It is vital that AU take an early lead so that Chizik has some tactical breathing room - our depth could prove valuable here if we get a chance to use it.

2) The Pope - the Dawgs outstanding TE had four catches in the first 4 games for minimal yards. Since then he’s been on fire with 12 catches, 5 of them for TD’s. He has become Green’s go-to receiver in the red zone. So far, he’s proven too fast for LB’s and too big for Safeties to handle, thus he creates a valuable mismatch for UGA. IMO, I believe AU’s LB’s have the speed to stay with Pope and that’s why item #1 above is so important. If the D-front requires our LB’s to remain in the box to stop the rush between the tackles, then you’re talking about an unmolested Pope rambling into our secondary at critical times, such as third-and-gotta-have-it.

3) The Hogs - the key to neutralizing Green IMO is managing Max Jean-Gilles, UGA’s enormously talented strong-guard. He will undoubtedly jump to the NFL as a junior and his counterpart at WG is Nick Jones, last week’s SEC offensive lineman of the week. If TJ Jackson and Jay Ratliff can stymie the middle and force UGA’s rushing attack outside the tackles, then I believe Auburn will win convincingly.

Richt’s entire offense strategy hinges on Georgia’s ability to open holes up the defensive middle, forcing LB’s and Safeties to cheat-up, thus giving Green the intermediate-depth, man-matchups on the outside that have been his trademark. VanGorder may have won the coaching award last season, but in a game like this, I’ll go with Chizik – he’s a better intra-game coach, JMHO.

Q. Groves-D. Langenfeld-B. Eddins-M. Gunn-"The Predetor"-etc......

Keeping these guys fresh and rotating in and out is key. We must get a good pass rush from them and not be forced to blitz to bring pressure.

Coach C has done a great job of getting these guys a ton of playing time. They are all experienced and could very well play a HUGE part in the outcome of Saturday's game.

WAR EAGLE...O N E at a time........... :au::au::au:

I don’t know if y’all feel the same way, but IMO, Georgia is one good football team and may be the best team we’ll face all season.  I like our chances, but I also recognize that Green has only lost one road game in his career, and that was to LSU last season.  Damn good track record, but IMO the key to stopping Georgia is focusing on Max Jean-Gilles and Odell Thurman.  Despite the hype surrounding Green and Pollack, if you control those two, you likely control the game within the game.

JMO, but there are three things I’ll be watching for early in the game as indicators that Auburn is in position to control the outcome:

1)  The Battlefront -  AU’s D-front against UGA’s O-Line will be the key. If Chizik’s scheme can successfully check the run and apply pressure without bringing a lot of help from the Safeties, then AU will be less susceptible to the play-action that has burned us in the past.  It is vital that AU take an early lead so that Chizik has some tactical breathing room - our depth could prove valuable here if we get a chance to use it.

2)  The Pope -  the Dawgs outstanding TE had four catches in the first 4 games for minimal yards.  Since then he’s been on fire with 12 catches, 5 of them for TD’s.  He has become Green’s go-to receiver in the red zone.  So far, he’s proven too fast for LB’s and too big for Safeties to handle, thus he creates a valuable mismatch for UGA.  IMO, I believe AU’s LB’s have the speed to stay with Pope and that’s why item #1 above is so important.  If the D-front requires our LB’s to remain in the box to stop the rush between the tackles, then you’re talking about an unmolested Pope rambling into our secondary at critical times, such as third-and-gotta-have-it.

3)  The Hogs  - the key to neutralizing Green IMO is managing Max Jean-Gilles, UGA’s enormously talented strong-guard.  He will undoubtedly jump to the NFL as a junior and his counterpart at WG is Nick Jones, last week’s SEC offensive lineman of the week.  If TJ Jackson and Jay Ratliff can stymie the middle and force UGA’s rushing attack outside the tackles, then I believe Auburn will win convincingly. 

Richt’s entire offense strategy hinges on Georgia’s ability to open holes up the defensive middle, forcing LB’s and Safeties to cheat-up, thus giving Green the intermediate-depth, man-matchups on the outside that have been his trademark.  VanGorder may have won the coaching award last season, but in a game like this, I’ll go with Chizik – he’s a better intra-game coach, JMHO.

119676[/snapback]

best....

post....

ever....

:o

The main thing I will focus on is David Pollack lining up in the neutral zone on EVERY PLAY. There is a reason why he gets a few sacks per game, he is offsides and is already a step ahead of the o-line, just my opinion......

The UGA passing game vs the AU secondary. If Auburn sits in man I think Greene can pick apart AU all day long and then if they switch over to the cover2 it usually leaves Pope open between the hashes. How will the AU coaching staff mix things up to try and keep David off balance?

The whole game comes down to 1 thing

How will AU's front 4 do against UGA's OL? If they apply LOTS of pressure on Greene then AU has a HUGE advantage. But if they dont and rely on blitzes, I think Greene and UGA picks up a good advantage. Not sure why our OL has done so well with blitz pickups but we have....

2 things:

Kickers

and if AU can get some quick scores and Turnovers, that will rattle UGAly and force them to change their gameplan.

:big:

:au::football::cheer:

This game will come down to field position and TOs. We must hold on to the ball! And we must make Greene throw off his back foot so CR, JR, WH and MP can get under those throws for INTs.

The UGA passing game vs the AU secondary. If Auburn sits in man I think Greene can pick apart AU all day long and then if they switch over to the cover2 it usually leaves Pope open between the hashes. How will the AU coaching staff mix things up to try and keep David off balance?

119716[/snapback]

We will rush 4, and we will still get to Greene. The AU secondary will be just fine....

Crying and whining. Those are my keys to the game. When you see the pup's players and coaches start the whining and crying over the penalties, turnovers, stupid playcalls,etc. you will know they are getting ready to pack it in as they did against Tennessee.

we're not a heavy blitz team so if we have to blitz just to get pressure all game, we're done. personally i don't think we'll have to, and we'll be able to do what we did against lsu which was pick our spots.

one of the biggest indicators to me is simple: jeremy ingle. can he hold up over the course of the game? if so, i'd actually say our line as the advantage over the second coming and his mates. pollack had one tackle last year so i know marcus can hold his own on that end. if we have to change the line around, there is no telling what may happen so jeremy's ankle is going to be huge.

another thing i'd look for is "the other corner." i don't care who the qb is, no team in america can "pick apart" carlos rogers. he'll be the best athlete at receiver or corner on either team. our problem has been the consistency outside of him. will is a great run stopper at safety, but he's not going to matchup up well in coverage this game. so i expect our coaches to use a little more nickel when uga goes to the air (which they'll have to do... no way the little frosh runs consistenly, maybe the big one but ware's hurt). so the other corners: pitts, gilbert, hobbs, lee... are going to have to play well.

you will know they are getting ready to pack it in as they did against Tennessee.

How did we pack it in when we scored in the 4th quarter once and lost on a drive to win the game?

we're not a heavy blitz team so if we have to blitz just to get pressure all game, we're done. personally i don't think we'll have to, and we'll be able to do what we did against lsu which was pick our spots.

I think you're right about that mcgufcm. If our offense can somehow give our D a 7-10 point lead, it'll be lights out for the dawgs

you will know they are getting ready to pack it in as they did against Tennessee.

How did we pack it in when we scored in the 4th quarter once and lost on a drive to win the game?

119753[/snapback]

The game was over, for all intents and purposes when y'all brought Shockley in. Hence the packing it in. I realize your Lord and Saviour Greene re entered the game for the last ditch efforts, to no avail.

Anytime I see DJS on the field for y'all I know you're not serious about winning.

Everyone knows that turnovers and field position are always keys. Also the line scrimmage battles. Here are my keys.

AU WR vs UGa DB

If Campbell can get it going early with accuracy. I see us with our physical wide outs being able to convert those mid to long 3rd down attempts. I think we match up very well with the DBs. Everyone know that Thomas Davis is gonna be cheating up to stop Carnell and Ronnie. I like our taller WR against the UGa shorter DBs.

Tackling

Sure tackling is a must. We have been a solid tackling team in every game except the Ole Miss game. There is no reason to think we wouldn't tackle well after getting our legs back. When we have had breakdowns it's been from missed coverages in the secondary. When UGa has had breakdowns it's been from poor tackling.

Emotion

It will be absolutely electric in the stadium this weekend. Texas A&M was feeding off their crowd this past weekend for the entire first half. I see something similar in this game.

Fast Start/Slow Start

Both teams are very similar as far as talent and experience. The trends have been Auburn very fast start and UGa a slow start. Let UGa try that again and it might be over by half time.

Obviously I like our chances. AU 31 UGA 21

The main thing I will focus on is David Pollack lining up in the neutral zone on EVERY PLAY.  There is a reason why he gets a few sacks per game, he is offsides and is already a step ahead of the o-line, just my opinion......

119715[/snapback]

Yep. True, true. I noticed this, and yet, he is never called on it.

WAR EAGLE!!

BEAT THE PUPPIES!!

David Greene is as good as I have seen at the play-action. If we don't get pressure, it will be a long day. He is very slow, therefore vulnerable to any pass rush!

2 Keys -

1. Pressure with our front 4. UT did it, why can't we???

2. Run the ball. Whoever runs the best, wins. Mark it down.

I do hope that Chizik has solved that "middle of the field being wide open" problem that was there against ole piss.

The main thing I will focus on is David Pollack lining up in the neutral zone on EVERY PLAY.  There is a reason why he gets a few sacks per game, he is offsides and is already a step ahead of the o-line, just my opinion......

119715[/snapback]

Yep. True, true. I noticed this, and yet, he is never called on it.

:lol::lol::lol:

Nothing you can do but laugh at such a ridiculous statement.

Sure there is slink. You can admit that it is true. B):poke:

Ah ok.

In addition to that, Gibson/Brown are usually 10 yards downfield before the ball is hiked and Greene is allowed to drop back 5 seconds before the the DL is allowed to move.

It just hasn't been called yet this year.

That's the spirit ! ! ! :D

Seriously, Pollard is just THAT good. I hope, for our sake, we can block him MOST of the time. :au:

David Greene will be a thorn in our sides if we cannot get to him! Mark it down and don't forget I said it!

Archived