Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

Hire him and I will NOT support him. Players, yes! University, absolutely! The man? NO WAY IN HELL!

For those who want him based on winning games..............sad. Just plain sad! Don't EVER let me see who use the Auburn Creed or value system to explain a damn thing in the future! The man is a law breaker and he still has the ink on his fingers to prove it.

>:(

Oh please. Was Pat Dye living the creed while breaking NCAA rules? How about Housel when he lead the troops up to Louisville for Petrino (the first time). How about Barkley when he was getting a hummer in his hummer?

Oh, and please point me to an article or court record where Petrino was indicted. I would love to see these "broken laws".

Typical reply from someone who is more like Bama than Auburn. The man broke Arkansas State Law! He lied to his administration! He lied to the entire Arkansas Alumni, fanbase, and anyone in between. You obviously don't give a damn so make your way up I-65 and join the REC!

If wanting to win makes me Bammerish, then so be it. I'm comfortable enough in my "Auburn skin" that I don't need validation from you.

He broke Arkansas state law? When was the indictment?

he wasn't and won't be but ask the administration in Fayetteville if he broke the law and there's your answer. Also, the fact that they will be paying out large sums of money to the candidate's who didn't get hired also should lead a normal person to understand that the law was broken. But hey if you need to see his fingerprints in order to understand the guy is a criminal then everybody is wasting their time on htis discussion.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hire him and I will NOT support him. Players, yes! University, absolutely! The man? NO WAY IN HELL!

For those who want him based on winning games..............sad. Just plain sad! Don't EVER let me see who use the Auburn Creed or value system to explain a damn thing in the future! The man is a law breaker and he still has the ink on his fingers to prove it.

Oh please. Was Pat Dye living the creed while breaking NCAA rules? How about Housel when he lead the troops up to Louisville for Petrino (the first time). How about Barkley when he was getting a hummer in his hummer?

Oh, and please point me to an article or court record where Petrino was indicted. I would love to see these "broken laws".

Typical reply from someone who is more like Bama than Auburn. He lied to his administration! He lied to the entire Arkansas Alumni, fanbase, and anyone in between. You obviously don't give a damn so make your way up I-65 and join the REC!

Might want to add the clause "Until AU hires someone I don't like" to the bottom of your 'all auburn, all the time' signature.

No he doesn't......Auburn is a whole lot more than a football coach or even an athletic dept. Maybe you don't get it

I don't see why we can't have a coach that is not morally bankrupt and can still win games. Other programs do. I know they got slammed this week, but I'd hate to think where Penn State would be without Bill O'Brien. Look at how Kelly has turned around Notre Dame. Kansas State has an eighty year old head coach for goodness sake, but they play the right way...and they win!

Auburn has always had the capability to recruit great talent. Auburn University and the SEC are an easy sell. Even Vandy and Ole Miss are competitive these days. We need solid leadership, not someone spineless like BP to lead that talent. We already have a coach that is having to apologize to the fan base every week. If we hire BP, it will be the same...the apologies will just be for different reasons...

Petrino is the kind of coach that would leave Auburn to take the bammer job for a little more money, do it in the middle of the night, never say goodbye to his players, and with no regard for Auburn or the fanbase. I know there will be Tubs comparisons, but when you hire Petrino you better be ready for this kind of a situation.

I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men.

I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities.

I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. (please show me this law that Petrino broke.)

Does any of this sound familiar?

For those who are Auburn "fans" not "family".....these three lines come directly from the Auburn Creed. There is more to life than football. If you don't get that then no one can help you understand. I hope everyone takes this in the spirit in which it was written but CBP is not an Auburn man, never was and never will be, whether they hire him or not.

Other SEC football teams that were at, or near the top and decided to emphisize character/education/or something other than winning for the football programs . (There is nothing wrong with this, but look what happenes to these football programs).

undefeted and outscoring opponents 322-10, (only Auburn scored on this team)

Georgia Atlanta, GA W 12–0

Georgia Tech Atlanta, GA W 32–0

Tennessee Sewanee, TN W 46–0

Southwestern Presbyterian W 54–0

Texas Austin, W 12–0

Texas A&M* Houston, TX W 10–0

Tulane New Orleans, LA W 23–0

LSU Baton Rouge, LA W 34–0

Ole Miss Memphis, TN W 12–0

Cumberland , TN W 71–0

Auburn Montgomery, AL W 11–10

North Carolina Atlanta, GA W 5–0

this team that went from dominating the college football world to OBSCURITY by de-emphasizing winning for the football program was... THE University of the South: SEWANEE. They took themselves so seriously they left the SEC and D-1 forever.

NEXT SEC:

Back inthe day, this next team struck fear into everyone that played them. The dominated the south, and many teams (including Auburn) are still trying to take over the all time record. Auburn has caught up... in our last 20+ meetings we have only lost a few, This team de-emphasized winning in favor of education, but have had 7 winning seasons since the days they were a powerhouse. (60+ years) This team is none other than VANDERBILT.

I do not know enough about Tulane University to know why they never really got it together and left the SEC.

Auburn University will always be bigger than who coaches the football team. You can still follow the Creed and be a good person, even if we have the devil himself as a coach.

IT is football! Not the YMCA, not church, and not a nanny service. The coaches are NOT resposible for doing what the parents should have done to begin with. The point of BIG TIME SEC football is to win by all legal means. Otherwise, we may as well become Vanderbilt or completely irrelivant Sewanee.

Typical reply from someone who is more like Bama than Auburn. The man broke Arkansas State Law! He lied to his administration! He lied to the entire Arkansas Alumni, fanbase, and anyone in between. You obviously don't give a damn so make your way up I-65 and join the REC!

If wanting to win makes me Bammerish, then so be it. I'm comfortable enough in my "Auburn skin" that I don't need validation from you.

he wasn't and won't be but ask the administration in Fayetteville if he broke the law and there's your answer. Also, the fact that they will be paying out large sums of money to the candidate's who didn't get hired also should lead a normal person to understand that the law was broken. But hey if you need to see his fingerprints in order to understand the guy is a criminal then everybody is wasting their time on htis discussion.

I won't say BP is a criminal. He is a egotistical, morally bankrupt man that happens to be a good football coach.

Oh, and where are all the lawsuits that Arky is forking out large sums of money to the +150 candidates that didn't get hired for the blonde's position? I haven't read or heard that even one single candidate has approached Arky for restitution. You got a link?

Typical reply from someone who is more like Bama than Auburn. He lied to his administration! He lied to the entire Arkansas Alumni, fanbase, and anyone in between. You obviously don't give a damn so make your way up I-65 and join the REC!

Might want to add the clause "Until AU hires someone I don't like" to the bottom of your 'all auburn, all the time' signature.

You obviously can't read the above....Auburn is way more to me than football. I live Auburn everyday.

I agree completely and feel the same way. That's why I don't see hiring Petrino to be a huge deal, because Auburn is more than any one person.

Petrino would be far from the first morally questionable individual associated with the University and he wouldn't be the last. Auburn is Auburn regardless of who our football coach is, so go out and get a winner IF he can prove that he's honestly and sincerely willing to change his ways and present himself accordingly.

Petrino is the kind of coach that would leave Auburn to take the bammer job for a little more money, do it in the middle of the night, never say goodbye to his players, and with no regard for Auburn or the fanbase. I know there will be Tubs comparisons, but when you hire Petrino you better be ready for this kind of a situation.

No he wouldn't. He would have been at Arkansas for years had he not screwed up.

He knows at his next job there can't be any screw ups or his career is finished. You don't have to like him but let's not be silly.

Has Petrino ever won a championship? Have his defenses ever been consistently good? No and no? Why take any chances on a morally bankrupt jerk who has never not only consistently won championships, but never won one championship and has never left any place he has ever been without scorching the earth left behind him?

Try to make a serious, legitimate run after Kirby. If that doesn't work, go get Charlie Strong. If that doesn't work, we can still do better than Petrino — both as a coach and a person.

How many championship teams has Charlie been the head coach of? How about Kirby Smart, and I would also add that Arkansas has beaten Auburn 3 of the 5 years that Petrino was there, and one of our two wins was with Cam. SO, yes I would definately say that after turning Louiville into a relevant program, and he is a good head coach and a winner.

Not disputing Petrino's a good offensive coach. He's won consistently and brought Louisville back to relevance. Yes, he's proven to be a good head coach and a winner. So has Charlie Strong at Louisville. He's brought them back to relevance and proven to be a good head coach — and he doesn't have the baggage. He's trending upward. He's got something to sell to recruits. Smart has learned from the best. He's trending up, and he has something to sell to recruits. Petrino walks into a recruits home with a great deal of baggage. He's got a lot to overcome before he even walks in the door in terms of perception — with many AU supporters, no doubt with some players and certainly with potential recruits and their parents, and I think that's a huge problem and one we don't have to invite into our front door.

There are a lot better coaches available than Petrino. Charlie Strong, Dan Mullen, Kirby Smart, Paul Rhoads too name a few.

Put the bottle down Otis...None of those are close to Petrino. I think losing to the point of being in the basement of college football doesn't bother alot of folks on this board. CBP is the coach to lead us out of the basement

If your not worried losing 7-10 ball games a year just kep CGC! He's a very good man.

Has Petrino ever won a championship?

He won a C-USA title and a Big East title at Louisville. The latter included a 12-1 record and an Orange Bowl win. In the SEC? Not yet. But the last three years of his four years at Arkansas, he was in the division that had won the last 3 BCS titles. Yet he still posted a 10 and an 11-win season even then.

Have his defenses ever been consistently good?

His defenses improved each year both at Louisville and Arkansas. Have they been great yet? No. Then again, the same could be said for the first 5 years or so of Spurrier's time in Florida until he got serious and started hiring good DCs like Bob Stoops, Charlie Strong and Ellis Johnson.

No and no?

Yes and sort of.

Why take any chances on a morally bankrupt jerk who has never not only consistently won championships, but never won one championship and has never left any place he has ever been without scorching the earth left behind him?

Well, partly because you have your facts wrong and partly because you don't hire him unless the indicators from him and those around him are that he's changed his life and owned his mistakes.

Try to make a serious, legitimate run after Kirby. If that doesn't work, go get Charlie Strong. If that doesn't work, we can still do better than Petrino — both as a coach and a person.

Maybe as a person, but no coach who pays any attention to the game would agree with you on the latter point. Petrino is a top 5 coach easy and most of that top 5 are guys we will never get.

Quoted again for Warhead.

He knows at his next job there can't be any screw ups or his career is finished. You don't have to like him but let's not be silly.

I said this is the type of individual he is. What about his past says anything differently? I would have thought after jetgate and the Falcons fiasco he would have learned. Did he learn anything? I will support him as our next coach if he gets it, but the evidence suggests that I am much closer to being accurate than you. You are saying he will be loyal because he has been so disloyal in the past. I am saying you better be prepared for who he is through and through.

I won't say BP is a criminal. He is a egotistical, morally bankrupt man that happens to be a good football coach.

Oh, and where are all the lawsuits that Arky is forking out large sums of money to the +150 candidates that didn't get hired for the blonde's position? I haven't read or heard that even one single candidate has approached Arky for restitution. You got a link?

will be paying out large sums....reading comprehension is our friend. I never said is paying out but if you don't think these folks who got by-passed by the girlfriend have attorney's then you aren't living in reality.

No he doesn't......Auburn is a whole lot more than a football coach or even an athletic dept. Maybe you don't get it

Auburn is a "whole lot more than football" but we are talking about hiring a FOOTBALL coach. And while Auburn is a "whole lot more than football" there is no other single activity, program, department that garners the interest of the Auburn Family than Auburn Football. Just look at the forums on this site.

AU Footbal Forum:

• 56,795 topics
  • 841,835 replies
  • Non-AU sports:
  • 1,014 topics
  • 15,175 replies

How can his boss ever trust him though?

How would the AD put "checks & balances" in place to keep an eye on the ole Don Juan, Harley riding, Blonde loving fool?

Who would be responsible for monitoring his company phone calls, text messages, and pics that he sends out to various females? (Heck, he was even texting his side pieces minutes before the Arky/Bama game)

Who would be responsible for keeping an eye on this personal bank account, to make sure he isn't giving large sums of cash to a young hotty that isn't Mrs. Petrino?

Who would be repsonsible for monitoring his "off time" i.e. Sunday afternoon joy rides?

How would the AD put "checks & balances" in place to keep an eye on the ole Don Juan, Harley riding, Blonde loving fool?

Who would be responsible for monitoring his company phone calls, text messages, and pics that he sends out to various females? (Heck, he was even texting his side pieces minutes before the Arky/Bama game)

Who would be responsible for keeping an eye on this personal bank account, to make sure he isn't giving large sums of cash to a young hotty that isn't Mrs. Petrino?

Who would be repsonsible for monitoring his "off time" i.e. Sunday afternoon joy rides?

that would be the job of the great and wonderful Oz....er Tim Jackson just like he did with Cam :-\ (much sarcasm intended)

I really don't know what the fascination of ksmart is all about. Malzahn showed us all in one half how to beat ksmart and had him confused. What do u think other coaches would do?Sorry, but I don't want sabans flunkie, ask UT how getting someone that coached under saban has panned out for them; not very good. I don't want him nowhere near AU!!!

You decide that based on how he's been handling himself since this went down. Ask those around him, talk to his wife and anyone else with regular contact. Talk to players and others he hurt with his actions and see what they say about whether he's owned up to it. There are ways to do your homework on this.

I don't know the specifics. Maybe there would be some restrictions on his hiring/firing abilities or maybe all hires have to be vetted by the AD. Maybe he has to agree to continue marriage counseling or other personal counseling. But one affair doesn't mean you have to check every minute of the day what he's doing.

As I said, he has a LOT of incentive to do things right that didn't exist before. He got caught and he's on thin ice no matter who gives him a chance. Screw up at your next gig and there won't be any more gigs.

I don't want the guy that teaches sunday school....I want the guy that wins football games....CBP did very well with very poor talent.....I can only imagine what he would do at Auburn with the talent options he would have.

If you call Tyler Wilson, Ryan Mallett, Knile Davis, Joe Hamilton, DJ Johnson, and others as poor talent well...it's a myth he had poor talent, his offenses always had players especially at QB, TE, and WR....he just did not have great defensive talent, an area I do not think he stressed as much because he could just outscore everyone.....

will be paying out large sums....reading comprehension is our friend. I never said is paying out but if you don't think these folks who got by-passed by the girlfriend have attorney's then you aren't living in reality.

Reality is that to date, it's been 7 months since Bobby laid down the Hawg, and there hasn't been even one report from the +150 candidates seeking money because BP's blonde side piece got the job. Doesn't mean lawyers are working night and day to build cases against the University of Arkansas for breaking equal employment laws. Everyone may want of piece of Bobby's pie ($18,000,000 buyout) is a lot of pie that UA is just sitting on right now....

Listen, Bobby's actions at Arkansas set the entire University up for the huge possibility of lawsuits. It's a liabilty that any future employer will want to research and take into consideration before hiring him for a job. Bobby Petrino in and of himself is a huge risk, a potential liabiltiy to any program that pursues him. (And, this is just from facts that have been made public about his schenanigans.)

IMO, AU is in a mess and it all starts at the top with Jacobs. I believe AU fans/alumni want to really get this place cleaned up once and for all, out with the good ole boys, etc. If this is what we desire to see happen in AU athletics, you don't go out and hire a scoundrel like Bobby Petrino to run your football team.

I find it comical to see everyone get so riled up about who they think should be hired....the facts are simple nothing you say or do has an impact on the outcome...they will hire who they want when they want and you will like it or hate it. You say it's not all about winning? Think about this...when Auburn isn't winning or doing well do you think it is just the players or fans that suffer? Try again...everything suffers right down to the businesses downtown who is losing money because no one wants to watch Auburn go in the tank. So I would suggest pulling your head out of your 4th point of contact and leave your mind open to all possibilities. Would Petrino win....he'll yes he will win, would strong win of course. Are we gonna get the perfect coach that satisfies everyone? Absolutely not. Whoever we get if a replacement happens then support them to take us in the right direction. Leave your panties folded up and don't let them get in a wad.

You decide that based on how he's been handling himself since this went down. Ask those around him, talk to his wife and anyone else with regular contact. Talk to players and others he hurt with his actions and see what they say about whether he's owned up to it. There are ways to do your homework on this.

I don't know the specifics. Maybe there would be some restrictions on his hiring/firing abilities or maybe all hires have to be vetted by the AD. Maybe he has to agree to continue marriage counseling or other personal counseling. But one affair doesn't mean you have to check every minute of the day what he's doing.

As I said, he has a LOT of incentive to do things right that didn't exist before. He got caught and he's on thin ice no matter who gives him a chance. Screw up at your next gig and there won't be any more gigs.

Do you really think if he came to Auburn and was successful, win SEC championship or maybe even another trophy and had another indiscretion somebody else wouldn't "take a chance" on him? You don't really believe that do you?????

I agree with what you've been saying Titan. I just wanted to quote you and add a few points of my own because some people here seem to think anyone who isn't opposed to hiring Petrino is a bandwagon fan who doesn't love Auburn, only wants to win, and some even seem to think we're closet bama fans.

1) Just because I'm not opposed to hiring Petrino doesn't mean I don't want him to be thoroughly evaluated and pressed hard. If the AD, president or whoever is in charge of the process feels that Petrino is genuinely sorry for his past mistakes and is willing to take extra steps to prove that he can keep himself under control then I don't see him being much of a risk. Auburn could likely even draw up a contract that protects Auburn and places serious conditions of Petrinos employment.

2) This Bobby Petrino is different from the Boddy Petrino of the past because his past mistakes didn't cost him everything. He has reached a point where he went too far, and he has suffered many personal and business related consequences because of it. For many people, it's not until they get smacked in the face by reality that they realize their wrongs and are truly serious about turning their life around. If he has the right attitude and mindset, Petrino might even be a safer hire than many young, hotshot coaches out there who feel they are all powerful and can do anything.

I only want Petrino if he is serious about being a professional college head football coach again. If he is then he would be the best possible hire that Auburn could make right now.

Archived