Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

Additionally, there are a number of good coaches out there who are equal to if not better than Petrino as a coach and who come without the personal baggage so there is no need to settle for Bobby Petrino.

Name them.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry...soon as someone mentions Saban as justification for why AU should do something you've lost me.

Me too.

I don't want him. Not because he cheated on his wife, although that is pretty deplorable. I have four reasons why I don't want him

1.) He has left 3 previous employers high and dry

2.) Saban owned him while he was at Arkansas (his incredible offense struggled all 4 games)

3.) He struggled putting together an SEC defense (something we desperately need)

4.) Did not recruit at a high level

There is no homerun hire out there. No one we get is gonna be a guarantee success but I think if we bite the bullet and go after BP then the past has shown we will end up angry, frustrated, and no better off in a few seasons. Personally I want Charlie Strong. He is a solid recruiter and put together some fantastic defenses at Florida. Instead of getting bad publicity for hiring Petrino we would get a lot of love for hiring our first African American coach. I also think we could keep a lot of our recruits.

In the end though if we land Petrino I'll talk myself into it and be there every Saturday hoping he can get us back on top

1. Chizik left his previous job high and dry to come to Auburn as a HC and hopped from DC at Auburn to DC at Texas (a lateral move just to improve his standing)

2. Saban owns pretty much the entire SEC right now. We have lost more games this year than Saban has lost in 4 years at Bama maybe more

3. He struggled putting SEC defenses on the field because he had to spend his ENTIRE time recruiting offense just to be able to score points. His defense is consistently made up with poorly recruited players. His offense is as well for the most part.

4. He is at Arkansas....NO ONE wants to go to Arkansas for the most part. The players that went there under him knew he would put them in the league or better them as football players.

1.) And see how well that has turned out for us (but the bigger point is he has done this 3 times and all three have been pretty disgraceful....)

2.) True he has been dominant but Petrino struggled to even be competitive in most of them

3.) So wait the excuse is he spent his whole time focusing on offense and that is why he couldn't do defense? Part of being a coach is being able to balance both offense and defense

4.) He lost every top state recruit to an out of state school each time

Look you aren't gonna convince me it is a good idea. The man hasn't shown any sustained success because he usually is gone within a few years of being hired. I will be extremely disappointed if we bring him in but I will support Auburn football anyway. It will be interesting to see how this whole process plays out

1. It bombed us as well. Leaving for greener pastures isn't disgraceful. This is a job to him. No coach is truly dedicated to the school they are at. They do what is necessary to better themselves, whether it be their ego or their wallet.

2. Most schools not named LSU have trouble being competitive with him.

3. When you have a school that can't recruit well because it isn't a traditional power, you have to pick your poison. You either go after a good QB and a few good receivers......or you go after some defensive linemen and hope the back 7 are ok......Arkansas will never recruit well enough to have decent athletes on BOTH sides of the ball.

4. That is more the issue with Arkansas not him. Could he be better at recruiting? Yes. Is the horrible recruiting at Arkansas solely on him? No way in hell. No athlete WANTS to play at Arkansas unless they are a QB or WR going to play under Petrino

Sorry...soon as someone mentions Saban as justification for why AU should do something you've lost me.

Some of ya'll are extremely immature when it comes to the AU/AL rivalry. My point was we need a coach that is gonna be competitive against Alabama on and off the field. I didn't see that out of him, I mean heck Chizik has done better in that regard than Petrino.... I guarantee 3 years from now if we have gotten beat by bama like he was at Arkansas you would be singing a different tune. Even though turd fans won't admit it, if Saban lost 3 straight times to Auburn his leash would all of a sudden become very short. That is just the nature of football in the state of alabama

You realize that Auburn and Arkansas are two different programs that are on two completely different level when it comes to recruiting, facilities, money, and fan support right?

Hiring Petrino would be like bringing a stripper as a date to a wedding. She'd probably be prettier than most of your other options, you'd prob have a great time at the reception (and maybe for a while afterward....knowwhatI'msayin). But all of your friends will laugh at you, your family will be utterly ashamed, and you'll wake up still single, a huge credit card bill, and most likely with herpes. Wait, what.....meh, you get the point.

Hiring Petrino would be like bringing a stripper as a date to a wedding. She'd probably be prettier than most of your other options, you'd prob have a great time at the reception (and maybe for a while afterward....knowwhatI'msayin). But all of your friends will laugh at you, your family will be utterly ashamed, and you'll wake up still single, a huge credit card bill, and most likely with herpes. Wait, what.....meh, you get the point.

They don't care....they just want to SCORE!

:Sing:

This whole discussion is probably pointless tough. It's pretty likely that Tennessee is going to take a hard look at Petrino, and its pretty likely that they will do it before Auburn knows what's happening.

I see what you did there. :hellyeah:

This whole discussion is probably pointless tough. It's pretty likely that Tennessee is going to take a hard look at Petrino, and its pretty likely that they will do it before Auburn knows what's happening.

I honestly thought(hoped) we would get an announcement today that Chiz is gone, or will be gone after the public execution in Tuscaloosa later this year. Hopefully waiting will not hinder our choices. UT fans are still hoping for Gruden, wonder what they are saying about Petrino?

I honestly thought(hoped) we would get an announcement today that Chiz is gone, or will be gone after the public execution in Tuscaloosa later this year. Hopefully waiting will not hinder our choices. UT fans are still hoping for Gruden, wonder what they are saying about Petrino?

If Gruden coaches college it will probably be at Tennessee, but even that's a big long shot right now.

Word is that some big Tennessee booster are pushing for Petrino.

Gruden is looking more likely to coach NFL though Tennessee stays hopeful. From what I can tell tenn bot haven't tried petrino.

Some of ya'll are extremely immature when it comes to the AU/AL rivalry. My point was we need a coach that is gonna be competitive against Alabama on and off the field. I didn't see that out of him, I mean heck Chizik has done better in that regard than Petrino.... I guarantee 3 years from now if we have gotten beat by bama like he was at Arkansas you would be singing a different tune. Even though turd fans won't admit it, if Saban lost 3 straight times to Auburn his leash would all of a sudden become very short. That is just the nature of football in the state of alabama

You realize that Auburn and Arkansas are two different programs that are on two completely different level when it comes to recruiting, facilities, money, and fan support right?

Yes I do but my point was he did a very poor job of keeping the top guys in state. Look it is obvious some of ya'll are dead set on him and will excuse away all of the same things that many used to bash him just a year ago. I don't dispute he is a great coach. The man would probably win 8 or 9 games next season but I want a coach here for the long haul. I'm not talking some deep moral reason or stuff like that, I'm talking about building consistency with a head coach that will be at Auburn for the next 10 seasons. We won't get that with BP

Wasn't there a coach in this here great state of Alabama who got caught dipping his pen in the company ink, on his secretary's desk...and he didn't get fired until he started losing. Dubose!

If ALL Petrino had done was dip his pen in Arky ink, Jeff Long and the Arky BOT would not have canned him. They would have supported him, stood behind him, help him right his indescretions, and would have continued to pay him +$3.5mm/yr with a $18mm buyout. They would have forgiven him and continued on winning football games.

I think you and I are on the same page with the AU/ Petrino stuff. But I disagree on the Petrino affair stuff. BP not only dipped his pen in the company ink, but he was also solely responsible for bringing that particular container of ink to ARK, some would say to make sure that ink container was conveniently accessible for repeated pen dippings courtesy of Coach Petrino. He also passed over many different kinds of ink that were much more qualified to hold that position at ARK, and in doing so created a whole big mess for the powers that be in F'Ville.

You won't catch me EVER drawing moral lines in the sand, b/c I've got a closet full of skeletons, but Petrino's decisions coulda, woulda, and shoulda (still might) cost that University a whole pile of $$$.

My point is that if ALL he had done was have an affair he'd still be there. The reason why he is currently unemployed is because of hiring his mistress, paying her cash gifts on the side, lying to law enforecemet, lying to his boss repeatedly in attempt to cover up his activities and making his employer look like a dang fool. He made his own boss perpetuate a lie publically, Long believed what BP told him and he had a press conference stating the lies. You just don't lie to your boss and make him look like a fool and keep your job. You don't ride around in broad day light on your Harley with a young blonde chick that isn't your wife on a Sunday afternoon joy ride. You damn sure can't do that in this state and think you'll get away with it. The football coaches at AU & UAT are more recongnized than Gov Bentley - their families are followed, scrutinized (Kristi Malzhan video/Johna Chizik facebook) more than any other place in the country.

If the AU Family really wants a wide spread cleansing of this program, then they shouldn't hire BP with this trash and dirty laundry, IMO.

People keep saying there are coaches equal to or better than Petrino out there that we could pursue. Who are they?

Wasn't there a coach in this here great state of Alabama who got caught dipping his pen in the company ink, on his secretary's desk...and he didn't get fired until he started losing. Dubose!

If ALL Petrino had done was dip his pen in Arky ink, Jeff Long and the Arky BOT would not have canned him. They would have supported him, stood behind him, help him right his indescretions, and would have continued to pay him +$3.5mm/yr with a $18mm buyout. They would have forgiven him and continued on winning football games.

I think you and I are on the same page with the AU/ Petrino stuff. But I disagree on the Petrino affair stuff. BP not only dipped his pen in the company ink, but he was also solely responsible for bringing that particular container of ink to ARK, some would say to make sure that ink container was conveniently accessible for repeated pen dippings courtesy of Coach Petrino. He also passed over many different kinds of ink that were much more qualified to hold that position at ARK, and in doing so created a whole big mess for the powers that be in F'Ville.

You won't catch me EVER drawing moral lines in the sand, b/c I've got a closet full of skeletons, but Petrino's decisions coulda, woulda, and shoulda (still might) cost that University a whole pile of $$$.

My point is that if ALL he had done was have an affair he'd still be there. The reason why he is currently unemployed is because of hiring his mistress, paying her cash gifts on the side, lying to law enforecemet, lying to his boss repeatedly in attempt to cover up his activities and making his employer look like a dang fool. He made his own boss perpetuate a lie publically, Long believed what BP told him and he had a press conference stating the lies. You just don't lie to your boss and make him look like a fool and keep your job. You don't ride around in broad day light on your Harley with a young blonde chick that isn't your wife on a Sunday afternoon joy ride. You damn sure can't do that in this state and think you'll get away with it. The football coaches at AU & UAT are more recongnized than Gov Bentley - their families are followed, scrutinized (Kristi Malzhan video/Johna Chizik facebook) more than any other place in the country.

If the AU Family really wants a wide spread cleansing of this program, then they shouldn't hire BP with this trash and dirty laundry, IMO.

Yep, we're on the same page.

Yep, we're on the same page.

Absolutely!

People keep saying there are coaches equal to or better than Petrino out there that we could pursue. Who are they?

My top 3 and actually Mike Gundy would be my first choice. Man has passion, proven track record as a HC and he is the perfect age. I think he would love the rough and tumble SEC. Watch how he eviscerates the press for throwing his QB under the bus. Can you imagine what he would do to Finebaum?

1. Chris Petersen, Boise State

2011 record: 12-1, 6-1 Mountain West

At Boise State (6 years): 73-6

FBS career: Same

But for the Broncos’ one-point loss at home to TCU last November, we’d have had to have thought long and hard about putting Petersen at No. 1. Just look at that insane .924 winning percentage. Just look at the essential road wins vs. Georgia and Virginia Tech the past two seasons while you’re at it. (And, of course, you won’t ever forget the Fiesta Bowl downing of Oklahoma in Petersen’s first season.) Coach Pete is the magic man.

2. Gary Patterson, TCU

2011 record: 11-2, 7-0 Mountain West

At TCU (12 years): 109-30

How about that win on the blue turf in Boise last season? On the heels of a Rose Bowl-winning season, no less. TCU has won at least 11 games four years in a row and seven of the past nine. No coach in the country develops players better than Patterson. He gets his chance to bum-rush the Big 12 now, and we’re not betting against him.

3. Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State

2011 record: 12-1, 8-1 Big 12

At Oklahoma State (7 years): 59-30

Gundy is 44! now and fresh off the best season in program history. Even when he was 40! he was on the way—unbeknownst to many of us—to a run of improving the Cowboys’ overall and/or Big 12 record in every one of his seasons in Stillwater. With 41 victories over the past four years, Gundy has established his program—and himself—among the best in the game

I would really rather have anyone but petrino for all the reasons stated above. However, I wont stop supporting the team. I'll still be a big fan and we'll see.

Personally there are at least 3 other coaches I like better

Great comparison Dansby!

They want the hot action they'd get with the pole dancer, but when she leaves you high 'n dry for another John and you're scratching those itchy ballz you'll wish you had brought the nice little girl next door.

I see what you did there. :hellyeah:

Hang on dansby. Comparing petrino to a stripper is offensive to strippers all over the world. Most have way more class

Great comparison Dansby!

They want the hot action they'd get with the pole dancer, but when she leaves you high 'n dry for another John and you're scratching those itchy ballz you'll wish you had brought the nice little girl next door.

But 4 years after marrying the nice girl next door you find out that she's boring in bed, only wants to stay in on the weekends, and you can't see your friends anymore. Your family only liked her because she seemed nice, but now stories come out about how she acts towards her kids. So you start thinking about that pretty stripper you saw at a friend's party one time because she looked good, even though you know better. As you go to work every day you start to wonder what other pretty, but more fun women are out there for you even though you know you'll likely stay with your wife just a bit longer; only for the kids.

I find it comical to see everyone get so riled up about who they think should be hired....the facts are simple nothing you say or do has an impact on the outcome...they will hire who they want when they want and you will like it or hate it. You say it's not all about winning? Think about this...when Auburn isn't winning or doing well do you think it is just the players or fans that suffer? Try again...everything suffers right down to the businesses downtown who is losing money because no one wants to watch Auburn go in the tank. So I would suggest pulling your head out of your 4th point of contact and leave your mind open to all possibilities. Would Petrino win....he'll yes he will win, would strong win of course. Are we gonna get the perfect coach that satisfies everyone? Absolutely not. Whoever we get if a replacement happens then support them to take us in the right direction. Leave your panties folded up and don't let them get in a wad.

A guy who gets it...ty sir

I find it comical to see everyone get so riled up about who they think should be hired....the facts are simple nothing you say or do has an impact on the outcome...they will hire who they want when they want and you will like it or hate it. You say it's not all about winning? Think about this...when Auburn isn't winning or doing well do you think it is just the players or fans that suffer? Try again...everything suffers right down to the businesses downtown who is losing money because no one wants to watch Auburn go in the tank. So I would suggest pulling your head out of your 4th point of contact and leave your mind open to all possibilities. Would Petrino win....he'll yes he will win, would strong win of course. Are we gonna get the perfect coach that satisfies everyone? Absolutely not. Whoever we get if a replacement happens then support them to take us in the right direction. Leave your panties folded up and don't let them get in a wad.

A guy who gets it...ty sir

So what is the point of the message board then and why are you here?

I'd argue Charlie Strong because of what he is doing at Louisville as a head coach, what he has accomplished as an assistant and his career arc. He's proven to be a very good recruiter as an assistant and a head coach. He knows Florida and Georgia extremely well. He would be a great representative of the university immediately and wouldn't have to recruit with a negative cloud over his head regarding his past. He doesn't bring the baggage Petrino brings. I'm guessing Petrino's Q rating in Georgia isn't off the charts, which might be a bit of a recruiting disadvantage in a state crucial to our efforts. Perception is reality. Strong would be nothing but a positive for the entire university — and most importantly, he's proven to be a good head coach in his short career.

I admit it's hard to make an argument for Kirby Smart as being equal to better than Petrino as a head coach because we don't know. I'd still rather take my chances with him than Petrino, and a big reason is because he would not come in with the baggage, and he's learned from the best — even if the guy who is the best is in enemy territory. Perception is a big deal, and it will affect recruiting. The negative recruiting people will do against Petrino would be epic. Could it be overcome? Maybe. But you don't have to worry about it much at all with Strong/Kirby.

Petrino is a good coach, just not a good package — and my belief is the whole package (good coach, good recruiter, no baggage) is what's important here in order to get things turned around quickly. Of course, I've been wrong before — even in this thread once or twice.

Archived