Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

I like reading some of these opinions about how there are better candidates than Petrino, you guys give me a good laugh. I had stated in another post, that all of the Anti-Petrino people need to let their emotions stop getting in the way, and be truly objective: None of those choices I have seen, or will see, comes close to Petrino. Charlie Strong? Yea, right. When I was attending Auburn a few years ago, and Charlie Strong was the defensive coordinator at Florida, I had a couple of roommates who were HUGE Florida fans. You know that they told me? They could not wait for him to leave UF. And many UF fans had felt the same way about him. And yea, I know he's undefeated this year, but look at how weak the Big East is this year. It's nothing compared to what Petrino went up against. I still have no idea if Strong is good or not, I think the jury is still out on him. Gary Patterson? Maybe, but we are seeing how he handles an actual conference schedule and his players are in trouble multiple times this year. Everyone else listed is either a pipe dream or is nowhere near the caliber of Petrino. If I had to list the top 5 coaches in the NCAA right now, I would say 1) Saban, 2) Miles, 3) Spurrier, 4) Chip Kelly, 5)Stoops. If Petrino was coaching this year, he would easily be in the top 5. Everyone else people want or listing would be coaches who have not proven themselves in big boy football, and I do not know about some of you, but I am tired of 7-8 win seasons, sprinkled in with 10 win seasons. Only Petrino would give us a shot immdeiately to compete for championships again.

Let's be honest with ourselves: Petrino is one of the top 5 coaches in football, and is the only one that is available to hire. The anti-Petrino people need to be objective, stop thinking so emotionally, and realize that Petrino would get Auburn back to the top very quickly....

I want Petrino, but your UF friends aren't too sharp. Meyer's team crashed the year after Strong left. There was zero discipline among the Gator's D after his departure for Louisville.

I am telling you, it was not just my roommates, it was their UF friends as well, and I would say I met about 80 or 90 of them during that year, and not one of them had one good thing to say about Strong. Actually, if you meet any UF fan, I gurantee you will hear that response from them as well. As for me, I just look how he is right now, and I just believe he needs a couple of more years before big boy football. I was never impressed with him as well......

No one has every really accused UF fans/alumni of being too smart.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like reading some of these opinions about how there are better candidates than Petrino, you guys give me a good laugh. I had stated in another post, that all of the Anti-Petrino people need to let their emotions stop getting in the way, and be truly objective: None of those choices I have seen, or will see, comes close to Petrino. Charlie Strong? Yea, right. When I was attending Auburn a few years ago, and Charlie Strong was the defensive coordinator at Florida, I had a couple of roommates who were HUGE Florida fans. You know that they told me? They could not wait for him to leave UF. And many UF fans had felt the same way about him. And yea, I know he's undefeated this year, but look at how weak the Big East is this year. It's nothing compared to what Petrino went up against. I still have no idea if Strong is good or not, I think the jury is still out on him. Gary Patterson? Maybe, but we are seeing how he handles an actual conference schedule and his players are in trouble multiple times this year. Everyone else listed is either a pipe dream or is nowhere near the caliber of Petrino. If I had to list the top 5 coaches in the NCAA right now, I would say 1) Saban, 2) Miles, 3) Spurrier, 4) Chip Kelly, 5)Stoops. If Petrino was coaching this year, he would easily be in the top 5. Everyone else people want or listing would be coaches who have not proven themselves in big boy football, and I do not know about some of you, but I am tired of 7-8 win seasons, sprinkled in with 10 win seasons. Only Petrino would give us a shot immdeiately to compete for championships again.

Let's be honest with ourselves: Petrino is one of the top 5 coaches in football, and is the only one that is available to hire. The anti-Petrino people need to be objective, stop thinking so emotionally, and realize that Petrino would get Auburn back to the top very quickly....

I want Petrino, but your UF friends aren't too sharp. Meyer's team crashed the year after Strong left. There was zero discipline among the Gator's D after his departure for Louisville.

I am telling you, it was not just my roommates, it was their UF friends as well, and I would say I met about 80 or 90 of them during that year, and not one of them had one good thing to say about Strong. Actually, if you meet any UF fan, I gurantee you will hear that response from them as well. As for me, I just look how he is right now, and I just believe he needs a couple of more years before big boy football. I was never impressed with him as well......

No one has every really accused UF fans/alumni of being too smart.

Now that's what I'm talking about. Let's bang on somebody else for a while. :hellyeah:

Let's hope i don't get excoriated like on the other thread. I try to bring facts to the discussion and leave emotion at the door.

Qualities I want in a HC:

1) win games

2) no NCAA troubles

3) win games

4) no NCAA troubles

5) win games

6) no NCAA troubles

13) graduate players

14) role model

That is it. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't care if the coach graduates players. It is the player's responsibility to make the most of his time. The coach can't be responsible for the outcome of 125 players. somewhere, the player needs to be held accountable too.

I don't know if he's my choice but I see alot of "no petrino" posts because of his "morals"....If his wife can forgive him who the hell are we to not forgive him?

For me it's not just his morals - I have questions about his commitment to defense, will he be as obsessed with that side of the ball as he is with offense, how about recruiting, how much effort will he put there..relentless like Saban, Chizik, and others or will he use the Tubbs approach of coaching them up

People said the same about Spurrier...until Bob Stoops came along, followed by Strong, Tyrone Nix and Ellis Johnson.

apples to oranges comparison. And no CBP couldn't hold CSOS jock in his day.

Not at all. Most people think he's the best offensive gameplanner and playcaller since Spurrier came along. But all Spurrier could do is score like crazy but not win the big one. Got crushed by Nebraska in '95. Florida didn't get truly great under him until he hired Bob Stoops as his DC. Since then Spurrier has understood the need to have a good defense. Before that he just thought he could outscore anyone. He had little commitment to defense.

Apples to apples.

Let's hope i don't get excoriated like on the other thread. I try to bring facts to the discussion and leave emotion at the door.

1) win games

2) no NCAA troubles

3) win games

4) no NCAA troubles

5) win games

6) no NCAA troubles

13) graduate players

14) role model

That is it. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't care if the coach graduates players. It is the player's responsibility to make the most of his time. The coach can't be responsible for the outcome of 125 players. somewhere, the player needs to be held accountable too.

I like the way you think

1) win games

2) no NCAA troubles

3) win games

4) no NCAA troubles

5) win games

6) no NCAA troubles

13) graduate players

14) role model

APR will be a problem for that school. The kids have to take personal responsibility for themselves however you MUST graduate players or face penalties including bowl sanctions.

I don't know if he's my choice but I see alot of "no petrino" posts because of his "morals"....If his wife can forgive him who the hell are we to not forgive him?

For me it's not just his morals - I have questions about his commitment to defense, will he be as obsessed with that side of the ball as he is with offense, how about recruiting, how much effort will he put there..relentless like Saban, Chizik, and others or will he use the Tubbs approach of coaching them up

People said the same about Spurrier...until Bob Stoops came along, followed by Strong, Tyrone Nix and Ellis Johnson.

Not at all. Most people think he's the best offensive gameplanner and playcaller since Spurrier came along. But all Spurrier could do is score like crazy but not win the big one. Got crushed by Nebraska in '95. Florida didn't get truly great under him until he hired Bob Stoops as his DC. Since then Spurrier has understood the need to have a good defense. Before that he just thought he could outscore anyone. He had little commitment to defense.

Apples to apples.

however, CBP has not hired his CBS so you can't compare the two until he proves to have figured out the equation, IMO. CBP has won nothing in big boy football and won't without defense

1) win games

2) no NCAA troubles

3) win games

4) no NCAA troubles

5) win games

6) no NCAA troubles

13) graduate players

14) role model

APR will be a problem for that school. The kids have to take personal responsibility for themselves however you MUST graduate players or face penalties including bowl sanctions.

Then how is auburn not on APR probation with our current attrition rate?

Apples to apples.

however, CBP has not hired his CBS so you can't compare the two until he proves to have figured out the equation, IMO. CBP has won nothing in big boy football and won't without defense

Well, it wasn't until his ninth season coaching in college that Spurrier did it, so if CBP came to Auburn and was paired with one, he'd be two years ahead of schedule.

But even without a great DC, he had a decent defense his last season at Louisville and his defenses at Arkansas got better every year.

What it is going to boil down to is timing. I would love to have Charlie Strong, but can we wait around until possibly mid-January to make a move???? What if he turns us down? Who do we get then? I'm not opposed to Petrino, as long as there is a clause that protects Auburn in the event he has any more shenanigans. Petrino is a proven, winning coach in the SEC West, where we happen to play, and where we happen to reside in the basement of. Petrino is available immediately. Petrino wants to coach here. We could finish the season with Chiz, or get rid of him now. We can begin discussing our plan of action with our recruits immediately, and make sure they are still on board. If not, we still have time to go after other targets. Unless there is a Charlie Strong, Gary Patterson, or Chris Peterson that is willing to sign on the dotted line in the next few weeks, we cannot afford to wait until recruiting is over with to have a coach in place. The only other person that would be available today would be John Gruden, and I'm not sure he is wanting to leave the commentator booth.

One thing about the Petrino possibility -- why couldn't he come in and start right now? People are talking about firing Chizik before the end of the season and having an interim coach, but Petrino doesn't have a job he needs to finish out before starting.

I realize he couldn't actually get an offense installed in the middle of the season, but he could be around the team and start recruiting. The coordinators could handle game prep. Would also give him an opportunity to evaluate any staff members he might want to retain.

One thing about the Petrino possibility -- why couldn't he come in and start right now? People are talking about firing Chizik before the end of the season and having an interim coach, but Petrino doesn't have a job he needs to finish out before starting.

I realize he couldn't actually get an offense installed in the middle of the season, but he could be around the team and start recruiting. The coordinators could handle game prep. Would also give him an opportunity to evaluate any staff members he might want to retain.

Tis true

Tis true

Great point. And I would hope that it would factor heavily into any serious conversations about his hiring (not because I'm in favor of hiring him, but because I hope we have a stack of good reasons about a mile high if we hire that scumbag).

First off great site. Glad I found it. Now as far as Petrino goes I have no issues with his coaching. They only thing I worry about with him is the effect his indiscretions will have on recruiting. Personally I have made my own share of mistakes so I am not casting any stones. With that being said you never know how parents will look at his situation. Can AU survive if it fails miserably?

I think you'll find that most recruits and their families are pretty forgiving, especially if they think a coach can maximize their talent and get them to the league.

Recruit's families won't care...

Now, the water girls parents may be a little concerned.

Hi 5

First off great site. Glad I found it. Now as far as Petrino goes I have no issues with his coaching. They only thing I worry about with him is the effect his indiscretions will have on recruiting. Personally I have made my own share of mistakes so I am not casting any stones. With that being said you never know how parents will look at his situation. Can AU survive if it fails miserably?

Welcome to the board. Fair warning, it's pretty testy around here these days. Do yourself a favor and don't say anything in support of the current coaching staff. :jossun:

Now, as for your concern about the recruits. Most just want to get to the NFL. College is a means to an end for them. We will lose out on some recruits whose parents are concerned about Petrino's ethics. Rest assured, though, that for every recruit we lose out on, there will be 100's more that are sitting by the mailbox everyday, in anticipation of an offer from Auburn University.

I look at it like this. Johnny is my son, and he is a 5* QB that is primed and ready for college football. He wants to play for Auburn or Tennessee. In one week, Gene Chizik and Bobby Petrino make visits (for this hypothetical, let's pretend Tennessee hires Petrino). Mom and I listen to both coaches give their sales pitch. We realize that Petrino has this dark cloud over him, having cheated on his wife, but we also realize that he has been successful everywhere he coached. He's taken Louisville and Arkansas to 10-11 win seasons consistently. He's developed lesser-star rated players into successful NFL players.

Now, in walks Chizik. We are impressed with his NC ring and his leather jacket. He gives his speech about having a grand plan to take Auburn to NC contenders every year. Mom and I are impressed. A NC in 2010. Then we remember hearing about 2011, and his record slipping to 8-5. Well, that 2010 team lost a lot of seniors, we say. Then we look at 2012, and see 0-8 in the SEC, last place in the SEC West, player arrests, high rates of attrition, 5* players that cannot be developed to learn a simple offense/defense, upperclassmen that still can't line up properly from play to play, and we go back and watch some Auburn games. We see no emotion on the sidelines. We hear coach speak week in and week out, always saying the same things, yet seeing the same mistakes each week. This man, two years removed from a NC, has taken this team to the basement of college football. What happened???? Then we remember Cam Newton played for Auburn in 2010.

The next day, Johnny commits to Tennessee!

Hire Petrino!

Welcome to the board. Fair warning, it's pretty testy around here these days. Do yourself a favor and don't say anything in support of the current coaching staff. :jossun:

Now, as for your concern about the recruits. Most just want to get to the NFL. College is a means to an end for them. We will lose out on some recruits whose parents are concerned about Petrino's ethics. Rest assured, though, that for every recruit we lose out on, there will be 100's more that are sitting by the mailbox everyday, in anticipation of an offer from Auburn University.

I look at it like this. Johnny is my son, and he is a 5* QB that is primed and ready for college football. He wants to play for Auburn or Tennessee. In one week, Gene Chizik and Bobby Petrino make visits (for this hypothetical, let's pretend Tennessee hires Petrino). Mom and I listen to both coaches give their sales pitch. We realize that Petrino has this dark cloud over him, having cheated on his wife, but we also realize that he has been successful everywhere he coached. He's taken Louisville and Arkansas to 10-11 win seasons consistently. He's developed lesser-star rated players into successful NFL players.

Now, in walks Chizik. We are impressed with his NC ring and his leather jacket. He gives his speech about having a grand plan to take Auburn to NC contenders every year. Mom and I are impressed. A NC in 2010. Then we remember hearing about 2011, and his record slipping to 8-5. Well, that 2010 team lost a lot of seniors, we say. Then we look at 2012, and see 0-8 in the SEC, last place in the SEC West, player arrests, high rates of attrition, 5* players that cannot be developed to learn a simple offense/defense, upperclassmen that still can't line up properly from play to play, and we go back and watch some Auburn games. We see no emotion on the sidelines. We hear coach speak week in and week out, always saying the same things, yet seeing the same mistakes each week. This man, two years removed from a NC, has taken this team to the basement of college football. What happened???? Then we remember Cam Newton played for Auburn in 2010.

Hire Petrino!

I think you might be underestimating the power of a sweet @ss leather jacket.....

Hire Petrino!

I think you might be underestimating the power of a sweet @ss leather jacket.....

LOL......Thank you, I needed a good laugh!!!

Apples to apples.

He was unable to win a national title til Stoops came along, but he pretty much manhandled the SEC, where he won a several league titles without great defenses so to speak..

1) win games

2) no NCAA troubles

3) win games

4) no NCAA troubles

5) win games

6) no NCAA troubles

13) graduate players

14) role model

U do know what happens if coaches don't graduate players? It's some NCAA requirement and it should be something all coaches and fans (to an extent) should be interested in. All these kids are not gonna play pro ball, and the degree will be a valuable asset....

Apples to apples.

He was unable to win a national title til Stoops came along, but he pretty much manhandled the SEC, where he won a several league titles without great defenses so to speak..

Ummm...didn't you just chastise BP for lack of defense, now you're defending Spurrier for not having D...holy crap the logic some of you use is astonishing.

Archived