Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

I find it comical to see everyone get so riled up about who they think should be hired....the facts are simple nothing you say or do has an impact on the outcome...they will hire who they want when they want and you will like it or hate it. You say it's not all about winning? Think about this...when Auburn isn't winning or doing well do you think it is just the players or fans that suffer? Try again...everything suffers right down to the businesses downtown who is losing money because no one wants to watch Auburn go in the tank. So I would suggest pulling your head out of your 4th point of contact and leave your mind open to all possibilities. Would Petrino win....he'll yes he will win, would strong win of course. Are we gonna get the perfect coach that satisfies everyone? Absolutely not. Whoever we get if a replacement happens then support them to take us in the right direction. Leave your panties folded up and don't let them get in a wad.

A guy who gets it...ty sir

So what is the point of the message board then and why are you here?

Because word does get back to the powers-that-be or the ones that make the decisions. It's also a way as a group, to gauge dissatisfaction.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it comical to see everyone get so riled up about who they think should be hired....the facts are simple nothing you say or do has an impact on the outcome...they will hire who they want when they want and you will like it or hate it. You say it's not all about winning? Think about this...when Auburn isn't winning or doing well do you think it is just the players or fans that suffer? Try again...everything suffers right down to the businesses downtown who is losing money because no one wants to watch Auburn go in the tank. So I would suggest pulling your head out of your 4th point of contact and leave your mind open to all possibilities. Would Petrino win....he'll yes he will win, would strong win of course. Are we gonna get the perfect coach that satisfies everyone? Absolutely not. Whoever we get if a replacement happens then support them to take us in the right direction. Leave your panties folded up and don't let them get in a wad.

A guy who gets it...ty sir

So what is the point of the message board then and why are you here?

I'm with Tiger Paw...I though that's the whole point of message boards. To come on here and bitch about things beyond our control and toss out wild @ss conspiracy theories about out Rivals....if not, then I've been doing this wrong for years, and nobody bothered to tell me.

I don't know if he's my choice but I see alot of "no petrino" posts because of his "morals"....If his wife can forgive him who the hell are we to not forgive him?

For me it's not just his morals - I have questions about his commitment to defense, will he be as obsessed with that side of the ball as he is with offense, how about recruiting, how much effort will he put there..relentless like Saban, Chizik, and others or will he use the Tubbs approach of coaching them up

Hiring Petrino would be like bringing a stripper as a date to a wedding. She'd probably be prettier than most of your other options, you'd prob have a great time at the reception (and maybe for a while afterward....knowwhatI'msayin). But all of your friends will laugh at you, your family will be utterly ashamed, and you'll wake up still single, a huge credit card bill, and most likely with herpes. Wait, what.....meh, you get the point.

Great comparison Dansby!

They want the hot action they'd get with the pole dancer, but when she leaves you high 'n dry for another John and you're scratching those itchy ballz you'll wish you had brought the nice little girl next door.

But 4 years after marrying the nice girl next door you find out that she's boring in bed, only wants to stay in on the weekends, and you can't see your friends anymore. Your family only liked her because she seemed nice, but now stories come out about how she acts towards her kids. So you start thinking about that pretty stripper you saw at a friend's party one time because she looked good, even though you know better. As you go to work every day you start to wonder what other pretty, but more fun women are out there for you even though you know you'll likely stay with your wife just a bit longer; only for the kids.

The guy you are talking about has absolutely no morals and will get what he deserves in bed and court :wareagle:

Hiring Petrino would be like bringing a stripper as a date to a wedding. She'd probably be prettier than most of your other options, you'd prob have a great time at the reception (and maybe for a while afterward....knowwhatI'msayin). But all of your friends will laugh at you, your family will be utterly ashamed, and you'll wake up still single, a huge credit card bill, and most likely with herpes. Wait, what.....meh, you get the point.

Great comparison Dansby!

They want the hot action they'd get with the pole dancer, but when she leaves you high 'n dry for another John and you're scratching those itchy ballz you'll wish you had brought the nice little girl next door.

But 4 years after marrying the nice girl next door you find out that she's boring in bed, only wants to stay in on the weekends, and you can't see your friends anymore. Your family only liked her because she seemed nice, but now stories come out about how she acts towards her kids. So you start thinking about that pretty stripper you saw at a friend's party one time because she looked good, even though you know better. As you go to work every day you start to wonder what other pretty, but more fun women are out there for you even though you know you'll likely stay with your wife just a bit longer; only for the kids.

The guy you are talking about has absolutely no morals and will get what he deserves in bed and court :wareagle:

Consider Chizik's buyout the court settlement...

Great comparison Dansby!

Do I still end up with herpes?

Proven winner and the best man for the job at this point. I say get him locked in today and do the formal deal the day after the Iron Bowl. I know some people may object based on the character issues, but most of us have made stupid mistakes, especially when it comes to women. I am certainly not in a position to "cast the first stone." So I say hire him!

If we are talking about adultery, GIVE ME A ROCK! ! !

He can not be an ambassador for Auburn University. NEVER EVER........................

It makes me sick to think that people are seriously ok with this snake becoming the face of the Auburn program. Go back to April and look through some of the posts on this very website about the man. There are pages and pages about how awful a person he is and how Arkansas should have seen it coming the second they hired him in the first place.

And we're suddenly ok with the thought of him?

One of the things I hold dearest to me is my degree from Auburn University. If we hire this man it will certainly take away some of it's luster.

ncf_u_petrino11_600.jpg

It makes me sick to think that people are seriously ok with this snake becoming the face of the Auburn program. Go back to April and look through some of the posts on this very website about the man. There are pages and pages about how awful a person he is and how Arkansas should have seen it coming the second they hired him in the first place.

One of the things I hold dearest to me is my degree from Auburn University. If we hire this man it will certainly take away some of it's luster.

We are possibly ok with hiring him if he's straightened his life out. No one wants him if he hasn't. Simple concept really.

I don't know if he's my choice but I see alot of "no petrino" posts because of his "morals"....If his wife can forgive him who the hell are we to not forgive him?

For me it's not just his morals - I have questions about his commitment to defense, will he be as obsessed with that side of the ball as he is with offense, how about recruiting, how much effort will he put there..relentless like Saban, Chizik, and others or will he use the Tubbs approach of coaching them up

People said the same about Spurrier...until Bob Stoops came along, followed by Strong, Tyrone Nix and Ellis Johnson.

We are possibly ok with hiring him if he's straightened his life out. No one wants him if he hasn't. Simple concept really.

There is absolutely no way to know if he's straightened out his life. You interview his wife (Becky) and you'll get a biased opinion, she may be standing by her man and she may believe in him now but that's no guarantee that he'll ever be trustworthy, Becky will be looking at the future millions that will hit her bank account. You interview his brother (Paul), you get another biased opinion - Paul will more than likely follow his brother to his next coaching gig, he'll be looking out for his self and his future, he'll be looking at his future bank account. You interview ANY of BP's former employers (Louisville/Atlanta/Arkansas) and they can't legally give you an honest answer on Bobby. Any counselor that the Petrino's have seen in the past 6 months can't legally comment on Bobby/Becky, or the progress their marriage has or hasn't made.

So, who is left to give any prospective employer an idea of the current state of affairs in Bobby's personal life?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. You, sir, are a valuable asset to have around!

People keep saying there are coaches equal to or better than Petrino out there that we could pursue. Who are they?

I'd argue Charlie Strong because of what he is doing at Louisville as a head coach, what he has accomplished as an assistant and his career arc. He's proven to be a very good recruiter as an assistant and a head coach. He knows Florida and Georgia extremely well. He would be a great representative of the university immediately and wouldn't have to recruit with a negative cloud over his head regarding his past. He doesn't bring the baggage Petrino brings. I'm guessing Petrino's Q rating in Georgia isn't off the charts, which might be a bit of a recruiting disadvantage in a state crucial to our efforts. Perception is reality. Strong would be nothing but a positive for the entire university — and most importantly, he's proven to be a good head coach in his short career.

I admit it's hard to make an argument for Kirby Smart as being equal to better than Petrino as a head coach because we don't know. I'd still rather take my chances with him than Petrino, and a big reason is because he would not come in with the baggage, and he's learned from the best — even if the guy who is the best is in enemy territory. Perception is a big deal, and it will affect recruiting. The negative recruiting people will do against Petrino would be epic. Could it be overcome? Maybe. But you don't have to worry about it much at all with Strong/Kirby.

Petrino is a good coach, just not a good package — and my belief is the whole package (good coach, good recruiter, no baggage) is what's important here in order to get things turned around quickly. Of course, I've been wrong before — even in this thread once or twice.

I'd have no problem hiring Strong but it was Petrino that put Louisville on the map in football.

Kirby Smart? Really? Sunseri failing miserably as DC in Knoxville shows who really runs the defense at Bama and it's not whoever's holding the DC position.

It's simple people. Do you want Tiger to win a major or not. If not, then you won't like Petrino. You feel warm and fuzzy knowing players and coaches are "by the book", even if the books have rows and rows of losses in them. But, if you want to see Tiger back on top because he was awesome talent to watch and it is good for the game and ratings and revenue, then you're in the Petrino camp.

So, poll question, because this is getting old. Do you want to see Tiger wearing the green jacket in April?

Where do the "people who think golf is an absolute waste of time and the dullest thing ever" meet?

Elementary school

Petrino is a proven liar and deceiver. Look at his history. He walked out on Atlanta without any explanation, and lied to his family and former employer. How can anyone honestly say that he's learned his lesson? He has zero integrity and will fly at the first sign of trouble. He is NOT the answer and will only serve to further push the team down. Arkansas canned him for petes sake.

Chris Peterson....integrity and loyalty.

Wont leave Boise due to his child's health issues

His son is much better and loved by the Boise community. Peterson would get all they things he loves in Boise in Auburn but he would get the stress as well and he doesn't want/need that therefore he won't come no matter how much money you sit infront of him.

In 8 years as a head coach Petrino is 75-26. In 6 of those years he has won 9 or more games. If you take away his first year at Arkmart he is 29-10. He took two battered programs in Louisville and Arkansas and got them to Major bowls within 3 years. Imagine if he comes to Auburn, where he has great resources. He would build us into a perennial power very quickly. With all the new and improved facilities, great fan base, and a recent national title Auburn's prestige is as good as any program in the country. It makes sense, and I think the bammer's would get a little scared if they see him on the plains. The man can flat out coach!

It's simple people. Do you want Tiger to win a major or not. If not, then you won't like Petrino. You feel warm and fuzzy knowing players and coaches are "by the book", even if the books have rows and rows of losses in them. But, if you want to see Tiger back on top because he was awesome talent to watch and it is good for the game and ratings and revenue, then you're in the Petrino camp.

So, poll question, because this is getting old. Do you want to see Tiger wearing the green jacket in April?

Where do the "people who think golf is an absolute waste of time and the dullest thing ever" meet?

Elementary school

Ha

The more I think about it the more I'm in favor of getting Petrino.

I think we could get him for a bargain and I think we could get his contract to where he has no buyout if we ever decide to fire him.

People said the same about Spurrier...until Bob Stoops came along, followed by Strong, Tyrone Nix and Ellis Johnson.

apples to oranges comparison. And no CBP couldn't hold CSOS jock in his day.

I like reading some of these opinions about how there are better candidates than Petrino, you guys give me a good laugh. I had stated in another post, that all of the Anti-Petrino people need to let their emotions stop getting in the way, and be truly objective: None of those choices I have seen, or will see, comes close to Petrino. Charlie Strong? Yea, right. When I was attending Auburn a few years ago, and Charlie Strong was the defensive coordinator at Florida, I had a couple of roommates who were HUGE Florida fans. You know that they told me? They could not wait for him to leave UF. And many UF fans had felt the same way about him. And yea, I know he's undefeated this year, but look at how weak the Big East is this year. It's nothing compared to what Petrino went up against. I still have no idea if Strong is good or not, I think the jury is still out on him. Gary Patterson? Maybe, but we are seeing how he handles an actual conference schedule and his players are in trouble multiple times this year. Everyone else listed is either a pipe dream or is nowhere near the caliber of Petrino. If I had to list the top 5 coaches in the NCAA right now, I would say 1) Saban, 2) Miles, 3) Spurrier, 4) Chip Kelly, 5)Stoops. If Petrino was coaching this year, he would easily be in the top 5. Everyone else people want or listing would be coaches who have not proven themselves in big boy football, and I do not know about some of you, but I am tired of 7-8 win seasons, sprinkled in with 10 win seasons. Only Petrino would give us a shot immdeiately to compete for championships again.

Let's be honest with ourselves: Petrino is one of the top 5 coaches in football, and is the only one that is available to hire. The anti-Petrino people need to be objective, stop thinking so emotionally, and realize that Petrino would get Auburn back to the top very quickly....

In 8 years as a head coach Petrino is 75-26. In 6 of those years he has won 9 or more games. If you take away his first year at Arkmart he is 29-10. He took two battered programs in Louisville and Arkansas and got them to Major bowls within 3 years. Imagine if he comes to Auburn, where he has great resources. He would build us into a perennial power very quickly. With all the new and improved facilities, great fan base, and a recent national title Auburn's prestige is as good as any program in the country. It makes sense, and I think the bammer's would get a little scared if they see him on the plains. The man can flat out coach!

But he doesn't go to Bible school!! :dead::nopityA:

I like reading some of these opinions about how there are better candidates than Petrino, you guys give me a good laugh. I had stated in another post, that all of the Anti-Petrino people need to let their emotions stop getting in the way, and be truly objective: None of those choices I have seen, or will see, comes close to Petrino. Charlie Strong? Yea, right. When I was attending Auburn a few years ago, and Charlie Strong was the defensive coordinator at Florida, I had a couple of roommates who were HUGE Florida fans. You know that they told me? They could not wait for him to leave UF. And many UF fans had felt the same way about him. And yea, I know he's undefeated this year, but look at how weak the Big East is this year. It's nothing compared to what Petrino went up against. I still have no idea if Strong is good or not, I think the jury is still out on him. Gary Patterson? Maybe, but we are seeing how he handles an actual conference schedule and his players are in trouble multiple times this year. Everyone else listed is either a pipe dream or is nowhere near the caliber of Petrino. If I had to list the top 5 coaches in the NCAA right now, I would say 1) Saban, 2) Miles, 3) Spurrier, 4) Chip Kelly, 5)Stoops. If Petrino was coaching this year, he would easily be in the top 5. Everyone else people want or listing would be coaches who have not proven themselves in big boy football, and I do not know about some of you, but I am tired of 7-8 win seasons, sprinkled in with 10 win seasons. Only Petrino would give us a shot immdeiately to compete for championships again.

Let's be honest with ourselves: Petrino is one of the top 5 coaches in football, and is the only one that is available to hire. The anti-Petrino people need to be objective, stop thinking so emotionally, and realize that Petrino would get Auburn back to the top very quickly....

I want Petrino, but your UF friends aren't too sharp. Meyer's team crashed the year after Strong left. There was zero discipline among the Gator's D after his departure for Louisville.

But he doesn't go to Bible school!! :dead::nopityA:

that sir, is an ignorant statement and not what this discussion needs. How about something really insightful that might be benficial to the conversation other than tearing down the man who IS, at this time, the coach at Auburn University. Oh and btw, it is still a university even though some seem to believe it is a minor league football program. EOM

I want Petrino, but your UF friends aren't too sharp. Meyer's team crashed the year after Strong left. There was zero discipline among the Gator's D after his departure for Louisville.

I am telling you, it was not just my roommates, it was their UF friends as well, and I would say I met about 80 or 90 of them during that year, and not one of them had one good thing to say about Strong. Actually, if you meet any UF fan, I gurantee you will hear that response from them as well. As for me, I just look how he is right now, and I just believe he needs a couple of more years before big boy football. I was never impressed with him as well......

Archived