Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you call Tyler Wilson, Ryan Mallett, Knile Davis, Joe Hamilton, DJ Johnson, and others as poor talent well...it's a myth he had poor talent, his offenses always had players especially at QB, TE, and WR....he just did not have great defensive talent, an area I do not think he stressed as much because he could just outscore everyone.....

Overall, he had far lesser talent than the teams he regularly knocked heads with and that's been the case at Arkansas their entire time in the SEC. No one said he never got a 4-star player. But where he had a sprinkling of them, he was going up against Auburn, LSU and Alabama every year who had teams loaded with 4 and 5 star guys.

Petrino is the kind of coach that would leave Auburn to take the bammer job for a little more money, do it in the middle of the night, never say goodbye to his players, and with no regard for Auburn or the fanbase. I know there will be Tubs comparisons, but when you hire Petrino you better be ready for this kind of a situation.

No he wouldn't. He would have been at Arkansas for years had he not screwed up.

He knows at his next job there can't be any screw ups or his career is finished. You don't have to like him but let's not be silly.

And what makes you so sure BP feels this way, he is just going to make a full 360 in behavior because he got caught...in less than a year? I don't think so...is the risk truly worth it? If AU is willing to fork over 4 milly a year a better candidate will head to the Plains...

How can his boss ever trust him though?

How would the AD put "checks & balances" in place to keep an eye on the ole Don Juan, Harley riding, Blonde loving fool?

Who would be responsible for monitoring his company phone calls, text messages, and pics that he sends out to various females? (Heck, he was even texting his side pieces minutes before the Arky/Bama game)

Who would be responsible for keeping an eye on this personal bank account, to make sure he isn't giving large sums of cash to a young hotty that isn't Mrs. Petrino?

Who would be repsonsible for monitoring his "off time" i.e. Sunday afternoon joy rides?

You decide that based on how he's been handling himself since this went down. Ask those around him, talk to his wife and anyone else with regular contact. Talk to players and others he hurt with his actions and see what they say about whether he's owned up to it. There are ways to do your homework on this.

I don't know the specifics. Maybe there would be some restrictions on his hiring/firing abilities or maybe all hires have to be vetted by the AD. Maybe he has to agree to continue marriage counseling or other personal counseling. But one affair doesn't mean you have to check every minute of the day what he's doing.

As I said, he has a LOT of incentive to do things right that didn't exist before. He got caught and he's on thin ice no matter who gives him a chance. Screw up at your next gig and there won't be any more gigs.

Do you really think if he came to Auburn and was successful, win SEC championship or maybe even another trophy and had another indiscretion somebody else wouldn't "take a chance" on him? You don't really believe that do you?????

I think if he came to Auburn and had that success others would be interested, yes. But not if he screwed things up again like he did at Arkansas.

But also note, Auburn has always been the job Petrino wanted. He would have come here in 2008 after we fired Tubs if he hadn't just finished his first season at Arkansas. He just didn't feel like he could leave after the situation at Atlanta. He wanted to plant roots somewhere for a while.

Petrino is the kind of coach that would leave Auburn to take the bammer job for a little more money, do it in the middle of the night, never say goodbye to his players, and with no regard for Auburn or the fanbase. I know there will be Tubs comparisons, but when you hire Petrino you better be ready for this kind of a situation.

He knows at his next job there can't be any screw ups or his career is finished. You don't have to like him but let's not be silly.

And partly because of his situation, we won't have to fork over $4 mil a year, at least not on the front end of a contract.

And what makes you so sure BP feels this way, he is just going to make a full 360 in behavior because he got caught...in less than a year? I don't think so...is the risk truly worth it? If AU is willing to fork over 4 milly a year a better candidate will head to the Plains...

Because he loves coaching football and he knows if he pulls the same stunts he did that got him canned at Arky, that career will go away forever, or at least a very long time.

Proven winner and the best man for the job at this point. I say get him locked in today and do the formal deal the day after the Iron Bowl. I know some people may object based on the character issues, but most of us have made stupid mistakes, especially when it comes to women. I am certainly not in a position to "cast the first stone." So I say hire him!

The thought of a proven criminal leading our football program doesn't make you want to throw up? Every TV broadcast leading with "Former disgraced Arkansas coach Bobby Patrino has been given another chance by a desperate Auburn program" doesn't humiliate you a bit?

We CAN have both a winner and integrity, we don't have to settle for either/or.

Agree 200%. Apparently this program is not enough of a joke yet. Some want it completely destroyed.

I am not trying to cause problems, hurt feelings or anything else. The discussion was opened by others so I replied. I'm not upset with anyone or with anyone else's opinion. We all come from different places in our lives and have different perspectives. The only thing i was trying to do was share mine with the other members of this board. You don't have to agree or even like my opinion but as Auburn people we should all be able to honor another persons opinion without getting defensive and throwing stones just because "well that guy is an idiot because he doesn't agree with me". I don't want anything I have said here to be misconstrued, I love Auburn and All of her Family and only want what I see as best for her and them. I knkow others have differing opinions on what that is and I respect that. To all my family I say War Eagle and better days are ahead with or without a new AD, head football coach, head of Engineering Dept. or whatever.

That's the end of this discussion for me.

WE!

If he did a full 360, he would just end up right back where he started...and would have wasted a lot of time in the process.

Petrino did nothing wrong as a coach. What he did do wasn t against the law and alot of people have cheated on their wife. He made a mistake in his personal life

'Cept that time he hired his mistress and put the entire University of Arkansas in a legal mess.

If you call Tyler Wilson, Ryan Mallett, Knile Davis, Joe Hamilton, DJ Johnson, and others as poor talent well...it's a myth he had poor talent, his offenses always had players especially at QB, TE, and WR....he just did not have great defensive talent, an area I do not think he stressed as much because he could just outscore everyone.....

Overall, he had far lesser talent than the teams he regularly knocked heads with and that's been the case at Arkansas their entire time in the SEC. No one said he never got a 4-star player. But where he had a sprinkling of them, he was going up against Auburn, LSU and Alabama every year who had teams loaded with 4 and 5 star guys.

So the reason he could not knock heads was because other teams just had more talent?

Petrino did nothing wrong as a coach. What he did do wasn t against the law and alot of people have cheated on their wife. He made a mistake in his personal life

If all Petrino had done was cheat on his wife, he'd still be the head coach at Arkansas right this very minute. Oh, the Arky fans wish like hell that's ALL Bobby had done - any program can forgive a coach that was thinking with his johnson instead of his brain. But that affair ain't what got him canned.

I am not trying to cause problems, hurt feelings or anything else. The discussion was opened by others so I replied. I'm not upset with anyone or with anyone else's opinion. We all come from different places in our lives and have different perspectives. The only thing i was trying to do was share mine with the other members of this board. You don't have to agree or even like my opinion but as Auburn people we should all be able to honor another persons opinion without getting defensive and throwing stones just because "well that guy is an idiot because he doesn't agree with me". I don't want anything I have said here to be misconstrued, I love Auburn and All of her Family and only want what I see as best for her and them. I knkow others have differing opinions on what that is and I respect that. To all my family I say War Eagle and better days are ahead with or without a new AD, head football coach, head of Engineering Dept. or whatever.

WE!

I agree with you and really hope you would consider staying in the convo, I have been ridiculed for my opinion as well but I just ignore it and move on...

WE!

What really hurts a lot is to see all the lamblasting of one another on here. Yes we have huge problems but lets not turn inward against each other, let's try to be respectful of each other. Really myself have no idea what we should do, but intend to continue to support Auburn Football even if they never win another game ever or whatever Auburn decides to do for head coach or athletic director.

It's simple people. Do you want Tiger to win a major or not. If not, then you won't like Petrino. You feel warm and fuzzy knowing players and coaches are "by the book", even if the books have rows and rows of losses in them. But, if you want to see Tiger back on top because he was awesome talent to watch and it is good for the game and ratings and revenue, then you're in the Petrino camp.

So, poll question, because this is getting old. Do you want to see Tiger wearing the green jacket in April?

Wasn't there a coach in this here great state of Alabama who got caught dipping his pen in the company ink, on his secretary's desk...and he didn't get fired until he started losing. Dubose!

It's simple people. Do you want Tiger to win a major or not. If not, then you won't like Petrino. You feel warm and fuzzy knowing players and coaches are "by the book", even if the books have rows and rows of losses in them. But, if you want to see Tiger back on top because he was awesome talent to watch and it is good for the game and ratings and revenue, then you're in the Petrino camp.

So, poll question, because this is getting old. Do you want to see Tiger wearing the green jacket in April?

Where do the "people who think golf is an absolute waste of time and the dullest thing ever" meet?

No. Can't stand the guy and never could but that was long before his auto accident at 2 in the morning. hahaha! But to be completely honest I haven't played golf in almost 20 yrs but do like ot watch the majors.

Sometimes it takes losing everything and being deeply humbled,to truly understand what is important.Then you want to change.I think if after you talk to Petrino his wife and others close to him and they believe this is the case and we think he is the best coach we can get,then I am for giving him a chance.

So the reason he could not knock heads was because other teams just had more talent?

He did knock heads. He was 2-2 vs Miles, 2-1 vs Chizik (and would have been 3-1), 2-0 vs Spurrier, 1-1 vs Richt. Only SEC team he didn't do well against was Alabama but then again, Alabama has lost 4 games the past three season. Hardly anyone is doing any damage against them right now.

I don't know if he's my choice but I see alot of "no petrino" posts because of his "morals"....If his wife can forgive him who the hell are we to not forgive him?

Archived