Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

Sometimes it takes losing everything and being deeply humbled,to truly understand what is important.Then you want to change.I think if after you talk to Petrino his wife and others close to him and they believe this is the case and we think he is the best coach we can get,then I am for giving him a chance.

Exactly. You lose nothing by checking this aspect out. But if you don't and let him get hired by Tennessee for instance, you not only lose out on what most knowledgeable people would say is the best coach available, but you have to compete with him.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He wins. Has few problems with player arrests. No trouble with the NCAA. As long as he hires a good DC, I have no problem with him.

Some of this is false. Arkansas just won the Fulmer Cup with a team full of players recruited by Petrino

It's simple people. Do you want Tiger to win a major or not. If not, then you won't like Petrino. You feel warm and fuzzy knowing players and coaches are "by the book", even if the books have rows and rows of losses in them. But, if you want to see Tiger back on top because he was awesome talent to watch and it is good for the game and ratings and revenue, then you're in the Petrino camp.

So, poll question, because this is getting old. Do you want to see Tiger wearing the green jacket in April?

Where do the "people who think golf is an absolute waste of time and the dullest thing ever" meet?

Let me know. LOL

He wins. Has few problems with player arrests. No trouble with the NCAA. As long as he hires a good DC, I have no problem with him.

Some of this is false. Arkansas just won the Fulmer Cup with a team full of players recruited by Petrino

We won with players recruited by Chizik....and have been a high ranker since he came in....that good God fearing Christian man sure is a good leader of young men eh?

Proven winner and the best man for the job at this point. I say get him locked in today and do the formal deal the day after the Iron Bowl. I know some people may object based on the character issues, but most of us have made stupid mistakes, especially when it comes to women. I am certainly not in a position to "cast the first stone." So I say hire him!

The thought of a proven criminal leading our football program doesn't make you want to throw up? Every TV broadcast leading with "Former disgraced Arkansas coach Bobby Patrino has been given another chance by a desperate Auburn program" doesn't humiliate you a bit?

We CAN have both a winner and integrity, we don't have to settle for either/or.

Who's your guy?

I don't have one. However, there are good people, people that love Auburn and whose job it is to have a "short list" at all times. President Jay Gouge would be one of these people. I'll trust them to hire a coach for Auburn that can win games and also be a man we can be proud of, not somebody that will cause Auburn people to have to glance down at the ground every time our coach's name is mentioned.

We won with players recruited by Chizik....and have been a high ranker since he came in....that good God fearing Christian man sure is a good leader of young men eh?

Arkansas getting the Fulmer Cup pretty much does away with the myth that Petrino's players don't get in trouble, doesn't it?

Arkansas getting the Fulmer Cup pretty much does away with the myth that Petrino's players don't get in trouble, doesn't it?

They get in significantly less trouble and are not plastered all over the media and espn like ours are....sooooooo

also, i dont think we ever said his players dont get in trouble. We said HE doesn't get in trouble with the NCAA....

Wasn't there a coach in this here great state of Alabama who got caught dipping his pen in the company ink, on his secretary's desk...and he didn't get fired until he started losing. Dubose!

If ALL Petrino had done was dip his pen in Arky ink, Jeff Long and the Arky BOT would not have canned him. They would have supported him, stood behind him, help him right his indescretions, and would have continued to pay him +$3.5mm/yr with a $18mm buyout. They would have forgiven him and continued on winning football games.

Has Petrino ever won a championship?

He won a C-USA title and a Big East title at Louisville. The latter included a 12-1 record and an Orange Bowl win. In the SEC? Not yet. But the last three years of his four years at Arkansas, he was in the division that had won the last 3 BCS titles. Yet he still posted a 10 and an 11-win season even then.

Have his defenses ever been consistently good?

His defenses improved each year both at Louisville and Arkansas. Have they been great yet? No. Then again, the same could be said for the first 5 years or so of Spurrier's time in Florida until he got serious and started hiring good DCs like Bob Stoops, Charlie Strong and Ellis Johnson.

No and no?

Yes and sort of.

Why take any chances on a morally bankrupt jerk who has never not only consistently won championships, but never won one championship and has never left any place he has ever been without scorching the earth left behind him?

Well, partly because you have your facts wrong and partly because you don't hire him unless the indicators from him and those around him are that he's changed his life and owned his mistakes.

Try to make a serious, legitimate run after Kirby. If that doesn't work, go get Charlie Strong. If that doesn't work, we can still do better than Petrino — both as a coach and a person.

Maybe as a person, but no coach who pays any attention to the game would agree with you on the latter point. Petrino is a top 5 coach easy and most of that top 5 are guys we will never get.

Quoted again for Warhead.

Not disputing Petrino's a good offensive coach. He's won consistently and brought Louisville back to relevance. Yes, he's proven to be a good head coach and a winner. So has Charlie Strong at Louisville. He's brought them back to relevance and proven to be a good head coach — and he doesn't have the baggage. He's trending upward. He's got something to sell to recruits. Smart has learned from the best. He's trending up, and he has something to sell to recruits. Petrino walks into a recruits home with a great deal of baggage. He's got a lot to overcome before he even walks in the door in terms of perception — with many AU supporters, no doubt with some players and certainly with potential recruits and their parents, and I think that's a huge problem and one we don't have to invite into our front door.

Quoted again for TitanTiger.

Here is just an opinion and observation. Auburn folks seem to get emotionally attached to their coach in a way that some other schools maybe do not. As a kid Coach Dye was Auburn Football for me, he was the only coach I knew and when the Eric Ramsey stuff came out I was crushed and angry. Not angry with Dye, but angry with those I perceived as trying to ruin him. I was young and couldn't imagine Dye doing anything but good things. bammers get attached to their coaches....when they win games. I do not care to be like bammer, I do not want to sell Auburn's soul to win games however, it is a business and maybe we should start worrying more about W and L's than how good a guy our coach is. I am not saying Petrino is the right guy, I dont know. Tubs was loved by a large portion of the fan base but in ten years he only brought home one SEC title. What is our barometer for success? I have long heard bammers accuse Auburn of accepting being average, I have never felt that way personally but have heard many say they would be happy with 8-4, the occasional SEC title and beating bammer every couple of years. IS there a segment that feels that way?? If Petrino came in humble, went to work and kept himself clean, and started producing SEC championship material on the field, and our players were doing things the right way and winning, would it be a bad hire?? I will admit being squarely on the fence on this one after what I saw Saturday night...Where do we go from here to get back on top quickly?

I don't want him. Not because he cheated on his wife, although that is pretty deplorable. I have four reasons why I don't want him

1.) He has left 3 previous employers high and dry

2.) Saban owned him while he was at Arkansas (his incredible offense struggled all 4 games)

3.) He struggled putting together an SEC defense (something we desperately need)

4.) Did not recruit at a high level

There is no homerun hire out there. No one we get is gonna be a guarantee success but I think if we bite the bullet and go after BP then the past has shown we will end up angry, frustrated, and no better off in a few seasons. Personally I want Charlie Strong. He is a solid recruiter and put together some fantastic defenses at Florida. Instead of getting bad publicity for hiring Petrino we would get a lot of love for hiring our first African American coach. I also think we could keep a lot of our recruits.

In the end though if we land Petrino I'll talk myself into it and be there every Saturday hoping he can get us back on top

Do you realize most fulmer points are under John L Smith right?

Coach Chizik win National Title with most Tubb players.... should we give credit to Tubb instead of Chizik as well.

Or should we go ahead and blame Tubb for M Mcneil get kick out of team for arm robbery last year, since Tubb recruit him not Chizik.

I don't want him. Not because he cheated on his wife, although that is pretty deplorable. I have four reasons why I don't want him

2.) Saban owned him while he was at Arkansas (his incredible offense struggled all 4 games)

3.) He struggled putting together an SEC defense (something we desperately need)

There is no homerun hire out there. No one we get is gonna be a guarantee success but I think if we bite the bullet and go after BP then the past has shown we will end up angry, frustrated, and no better off in a few seasons. Personally I want Charlie Strong. He is a solid recruiter and put together some fantastic defenses at Florida. Instead of getting bad publicity for hiring Petrino we would get a lot of love for hiring our first African American coach. I also think we could keep a lot of our recruits.

In the end though if we land Petrino I'll talk myself into it and be there every Saturday hoping he can get us back on top

1. Chizik left his previous job high and dry to come to Auburn as a HC and hopped from DC at Auburn to DC at Texas (a lateral move just to improve his standing)

2. Saban owns pretty much the entire SEC right now. We have lost more games this year than Saban has lost in 4 years at Bama maybe more

3. He struggled putting SEC defenses on the field because he had to spend his ENTIRE time recruiting offense just to be able to score points. His defense is consistently made up with poorly recruited players. His offense is as well for the most part.

4. He is at Arkansas....NO ONE wants to go to Arkansas for the most part. The players that went there under him knew he would put them in the league or better them as football players.

Sorry...soon as someone mentions Saban as justification for why AU should do something you've lost me.

Wasn't there a coach in this here great state of Alabama who got caught dipping his pen in the company ink, on his secretary's desk...and he didn't get fired until he started losing. Dubose!

If ALL Petrino had done was dip his pen in Arky ink, Jeff Long and the Arky BOT would not have canned him. They would have supported him, stood behind him, help him right his indescretions, and would have continued to pay him +$3.5mm/yr with a $18mm buyout. They would have forgiven him and continued on winning football games.

I think you and I are on the same page with the AU/ Petrino stuff. But I disagree on the Petrino affair stuff. BP not only dipped his pen in the company ink, but he was also solely responsible for bringing that particular container of ink to ARK, some would say to make sure that ink container was conveniently accessible for repeated pen dippings courtesy of Coach Petrino. He also passed over many different kinds of ink that were much more qualified to hold that position at ARK, and in doing so created a whole big mess for the powers that be in F'Ville.

You won't catch me EVER drawing moral lines in the sand, b/c I've got a closet full of skeletons, but Petrino's decisions coulda, woulda, and shoulda (still might) cost that University a whole pile of $$$.

As one who is more against BP than for him I am not completely closed to the idea either. Alot of folks have made valid points on here about how he can still recruit if he is winning and putting kids in the NFL and have made me think. So, if Im playing devil's advocate I can see one other intangible thing Petrino might bring to the table. He couldn't beat Saban while at Arky, you know that burns him up inside. Give him Auburn's resources and some time and I would bet he will make it his mission in life to take down bama. I think he would win quickly and turn things around quickly. I can see both sides, it just gives me a bad feeling thinking about him being the coach at Auburn. If that turns out to be the guy though, so be it. I will cheer him on regardless.

Except for the first sentence, this is my line of thinking.

This is off the subject of CBP (I said i was done with it). You don't have to hire a perceived "can't miss" guy to not miss. Example, Kevin Sumlin at T A&M he was a good coach with good credentials but far from a can't miss. He was putting up great offensive numbers but the talent level he was against was average at best. But look at where A&M is today, moved to SEC, winning games, and looking good doing it. The future is bright in College Station but we have to find our Kevin Sumlin out there or a guy that has been there gone to something else and maybe, in the right situation might come back (Dirk Koetter). He is not the only option but would surely, at least, be worth talking to.

Sorry...soon as someone mentions Saban as justification for why AU should do something you've lost me.

Don't be dense.....the person I was responding to said " 2.) Saban owned him while he was at Arkansas (his incredible offense struggled all 4 games)"My response was a direct answer to his statement. EVERYONE's offense struggles against Saban's defense. That isn't a "yadda yadda saban so hire this guy" that is a fact that Saban has dominated the SEC as a whole.

If you weren't talking about me then I apologize.

Hell No To Petrino (HNTP)

Petrino WAS a good coach, whether or not he can effectively recruit and lead a team after he was publicly caught cheating on his wife and lying to his employer remains to be seen. Maybe he can and maybe he can't; however, are you willing to put the future of Auburn football in this man's hands?

How is it going to be received when he says to the parents of a recruit, "I give you my word that I will take care of your son" or he tells a recruit, "I promise you that you will be the starting QB"?

I can hear the suppressed chuckles as he addresses the entire football team and lectures to them about committment, loyalty, sacrifice, discipline, and self respect. What will be a player's response when BP informs him that he is suspended for breaking team curfew and then lying about where he was and what he was doing?

There is so much more to coaching than recruiting and X's and O's.

The fans deserve a coach who can win and the players deserve a good leader; the two are not mutually exclusive. Additionally, there are a number of good coaches out there who are equal to if not better than Petrino as a coach and who come without the personal baggage so there is no need to settle for Bobby Petrino.

LOCK HIM DOWN TODAY WITH A AIR TIGHT MORALS CONTRACT. Im of the mind that a whole lot of the anti Patrino crowd havnt actually seen this team up close in person.

Me too.

1. Chizik left his previous job high and dry to come to Auburn as a HC and hopped from DC at Auburn to DC at Texas (a lateral move just to improve his standing)

2. Saban owns pretty much the entire SEC right now. We have lost more games this year than Saban has lost in 4 years at Bama maybe more

3. He struggled putting SEC defenses on the field because he had to spend his ENTIRE time recruiting offense just to be able to score points. His defense is consistently made up with poorly recruited players. His offense is as well for the most part.

4. He is at Arkansas....NO ONE wants to go to Arkansas for the most part. The players that went there under him knew he would put them in the league or better them as football players.

1.) And see how well that has turned out for us (but the bigger point is he has done this 3 times and all three have been pretty disgraceful....)

2.) True he has been dominant but Petrino struggled to even be competitive in most of them

3.) So wait the excuse is he spent his whole time focusing on offense and that is why he couldn't do defense? Part of being a coach is being able to balance both offense and defense

4.) He lost every top state recruit to an out of state school each time

Look you aren't gonna convince me it is a good idea. The man hasn't shown any sustained success because he usually is gone within a few years of being hired. I will be extremely disappointed if we bring him in but I will support Auburn football anyway. It will be interesting to see how this whole process plays out

LOCK HIM DOWN TODAY WITH A AIR TIGHT MORALS CONTRACT. Im of the mind that a whole lot of the anti Patrino crowd havnt actually seen this team up close in person.

So we should hire him because our team is morally corrupt as well??? I am not pushing the morality defense but this post doesn't seem to make much sense too me....

If you want to win in football in the near future you damn sure better have someone who can compete with Saban.

Some of ya'll are extremely immature when it comes to the AU/AL rivalry. My point was we need a coach that is gonna be competitive against Alabama on and off the field. I didn't see that out of him, I mean heck Chizik has done better in that regard than Petrino.... I guarantee 3 years from now if we have gotten beat by bama like he was at Arkansas you would be singing a different tune. Even though turd fans won't admit it, if Saban lost 3 straight times to Auburn his leash would all of a sudden become very short. That is just the nature of football in the state of alabama

Archived