2013 3* JUCO ILB Antonio Longino (Arizona State signee)

ellitor

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I say get him, we could use immediate players at the LB position, and we are also recruiting an OG and now DT that are on the same team. That could be really good, especially to get people who are used to playing with each other.

E, is there a coincidence that 3 JUCOs we have offered play at the same school?

I would say it's more of a fill-in-the-gap type thing. Quickest way to reload is to get JUCOs. Not great for sustained, long-term success but will help us get back on our feet.

I would say it's more of a fill-in-the-gap type thing. Quickest way to reload is to get JUCOs. Not great for sustained, long-term success but will help us get back on our feet.

Also, we have some "use 'em or lose 'em" slots for early enrolees. Since we don't have any early graduating high school players committed now, we about have to grab any warm JUCO body that can enroll early. Some of these guys are listed as May graduates, so I don't know why, exactly, we are courting them.

It has been said that the these juco players on the same team have talked about playing together if given the opportunity and that offering all of them as a package would be an attractive selling point for them

ETA:

It should be noted that these guys at LB and DT could be back ups if Foster and Liner don't come back into the fold

Also, we have some "use 'em or lose 'em" slots for early enrolees. Since we don't have any early graduating high school players committed now, we about have to grab any warm JUCO body that can enroll early. Some of these guys are listed as May graduates, so I don't know why, exactly, we are courting them.

Exactly my point with early enrollees/ready to play. If these guys are graduating in May, that makes them a bit less attractive imo.

Do juco players have to graduate in order to sign with a 4-year school?

Exactly my point with early enrollees/ready to play. If these guys are graduating in May, that makes them a bit less attractive imo.

JUCO recruiting is a great way to patch up depth concerns or players not panning out. Also, considering it gives OL and DL time to grow and add weight to their frame, significantly easier to evaluate JUCO lineman than high school

Brother in law's brother was a grad assistant for the OL and played OL in college and during a conversation with him he pointed out that the toughest part about OL recruiting is outside of the elite OL prospects that are already physically mature, you can never tell how high school OL player will put on weight and maintain athleticism because you are asking them in some cases to put on 20-30 pounds. Players that were undersized in high school may have late growth spurts and get much needed 2-3 inches which gives them longer arms. College OL schemes are tough to adjust to for most players as well. Finally, the competition difference in terms of physical stature from high school DL who weigh 250 to college DL who weigh 270-300 is very significant.

From Jonesy on TD

Roof said that Chizik felt like JUCO recruits shouldn't be a priority in recruiting unless they were game changers. As explained to me, Chizik felt like recruiting JUCO guys hurt relationships with high school coaches. Also heard that Luper and Chizik decided that they'd stay away from JUCO because of how heavily Tuberville's staff leaned on it.

How heavily did Tubs lean on JUCO players? In cases of extreme need, he did what any coach would do - fill his needs with best available talent but honestly, outside of Rudy Johnson and Cobb the QB, I dont really remember many JUCO players signed by Tubs. He did, as I recall, sign some really good defensive ends but again dont really recall him heavily depending on JUCO players which very well could be just poor memory on my part.

How heavily did Tubs lean on JUCO players? In cases of extreme need, he did what any coach would do - fill his needs with best available talent but honestly, outside of Rudy Johnson and Cobb the QB, I dont really remember many JUCO players signed by Tubs. He did, as I recall, sign some really good defensive ends but again dont really recall him heavily depending on JUCO players which very well could be just poor memory on my part.

Tubs dipped in the JUCO ranks just about every year like Saban, Richt, Miles, etc. We've had some really good JUCO players under him like Karibe Dede, Anthony Mix, David Irons, Brandon Jacobs, Prechae Rodriguez, Jonathan Wilhite... and if you want to get technical Nick Fairley, and Eltoro Freeman committed under Tubs as well.

Tubs dipped in the JUCO ranks just about every year like Saban, Richt, Miles, etc. We've had some really good JUCO players under him like Karibe Dede, Anthony Mix, David Irons, Brandon Jacobs, Prechae Rodriguez, Jonathan Wilhite... and if you want to get technical Nick Fairley, and Eltoro Freeman committed under Tubs as well.

Thanks, I figured there were a few names that I didn't recall, however, Im pretty sure Anthony Mix wasn't a JUCO player. The others defintely were but if you look at the numbers over a 10 year period does that constitute leaning heavily on JUCO recruiting?....I would say it does not.

Well I dont think you can build a program on it but consistently relying on JUCOs to fill gaps is very much doable as witnessed by UGA, bama etc. Of course it's not the only way to do that but it can help and I think all of the successful programs do it to some extent.

As far as Mix:

Due to academic issues, Mix was forced to spend the 2001 season at Hargrave Military Academy. He joined Auburn in 2002, lining up as a reserve flanker. He made 13 catches for 193 yards (14.8 avg) with a touchdown as a freshman. In 2003, Mix sat out the Alabama and Wisconsin games with an ankle injury. He appeared in 11 games, moving from tight end after the fourth game vs. Western Kentucky to flanker. He finished with 21 receptions for 235 yards (11.2 avg) and a score.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/417023

I think a program needs to get 1-2 JUCO players a year, it helps with depth and could provide 2-3 years for certain prospects to grow and develop.

Well I dont think you can build a program on it but consistently relying on JUCOs to fill gaps is very much doable as witnessed by UGA, bama etc. Of course it's not the only way to do that but it can help and I think all of the successful programs do it to some extent.

As far as Mix:

Due to academic issues, Mix was forced to spend the 2001 season at Hargrave Military Academy. He joined Auburn in 2002, lining up as a reserve flanker. He made 13 catches for 193 yards (14.8 avg) with a touchdown as a freshman. In 2003, Mix sat out the Alabama and Wisconsin games with an ankle injury. He appeared in 11 games, moving from tight end after the fourth game vs. Western Kentucky to flanker. He finished with 21 receptions for 235 yards (11.2 avg) and a score.

http://www.cbssports...storical/417023

There is a big difference in prep school guys (Mix, Dede, O-mac, Carlos Rogers) who come to college with four years of eligibility and JUCO players. Tuberville actually had fewer than normal JUCO players, though he did use the "sign to place" rules that were in place at the time to put a number of signees into prep schools, then brought them to Auburn the next year. As far as true JUCO players, I don't think Tuberville averaged bringing in more than one a year.

A few JUCOs will help I think. Don't believe we can count on getting all the HS kids that are currently "undecided" and JMO but its a rare HS player that is ready play one of the power positions in college.

The JUCOs have had another year of experience and body building that can help them play immediately. It doesn't have to be a way of life for AU but 4 or 5 of them this year might make a real difference for the team.

seems Arky has the lead,but anything can happen...https://twitter.com/search?q=%23auburn

Archived