Remember this play ? 1969 Iron Bowl, Connie Frederick 84 yd TD. (video)

IronMan70

The 1969 Iron Bowl, final score Auburn 49 bama 26, most points ever scored on a Bryant team. Connie Frederick, # 87, standing at the 1 yard line, receives the snap to make the punt, but wait, he tucks the ball instead, he is going to run it, he takes off for the right sideline, the bama players are in hot pursuit, he gets a great block at the 50 yard line, he is still running, at the 30 yard line the last bama player with a chance to make the tackle has the angle on him, he fakes to the right, he cuts to the left, the bama player is faked right out of his shoes and hits the dirt, Frederick takes it the rest of the way, 84 yards from the line of scrimmage, some of the fans run on the field. TOUCHDOWN AUBURN

I told this story before but this is also the game where two of my buddies and I made a huge banner out of a white king size bed sheet. We attached each end of the bed sheet to a wooden pole and walked it up and down the Auburn side next to the front railing after each score and at various other times during the game. The banner was a big hit with the words painted in large red letters that said, " If You Can't Go to Hell Go to 'Bama. "

link:

Great post IM! Didn't look like Bear nor Shug enjoyed it as much as I did. Hey Mr. Golf, was Shug upset about that play?

Yes and no. Shug did not like it at first because it made us look like running up the score. But trust me deep down he was he was not that all torn up about it.

I honestly don't believe Shug called for that fake punt. I really think that Connie just acted alone and took off for 84 yards and a touchdown. Heck, since nobody was gonna rush him, why not take off and if for nothing else, get a first down and keep that other team from getting the ball in the final few seconds of the game.

Made us look like we were running up the score? oh you mean like $aban has done to us every chance he gets since he's been in turdtown? well, nobody has ever said anything bad about $aban doing that and how it makes the bammers look bad.

One of my favorite AU plays of all time. I was in the marching band from 1966-1970 and that win with Frederick's run along with beating Tennessee in Knoxville (I think it was 10 to 9) with the Amazin's as Shug called them are 2 of the classics.

I remember that play like it was yesterday. I was 11 years old and listening to the radio while I was messing around outside. I also remember one of my friend's dad had a bumper sticker that said, "Bear Beware the Eagle has Landed 49-26", which was a tie-in to the first lunar landing.

I hone don't stlybelieve Shug called for that fake punt. I really think that Connie just acted alone and took off for 84 yards and a touchdown. Heck, since nobody was gonna rush him, why not take off and if for nothing else, get a first down and keep that other team from getting the ball in the final few seconds of the game.

Made us look like we were running up the score? oh you mean like $aban has done to us every chance he gets since he's been in turdtown? well, nobody has ever said anything bad about $aban doing that and how it makes the bammers look bad.

Shug did not call the play strictly Connie doing it on his own. Connie had no love for the turds

One of my favorite AU plays of all time. I was in the marching band from 1966-1970 and that win with Frederick's run along with beating Tennessee in Knoxville (I think it was 10 to 9) with the Amazin's as Shug called them are 2 of the classics.

The 10-9 game was in Pat and Terry year 1971, I believe the Amazins beat Ut 21-0

The 10-9 game was in Pat and Terry year 1971, I believe the Amazins beat Ut 21-0

The Amazins beat UT 10-6 in Birmingham. They had just beat Chattanooga 14-7 running only 7 plays, perfectly. Coach Bill Battle announced that he knew Auburn would bring a wide open Pat Sullivan type offense and that they were just holding back for UT. Terry Henley as the I back and James Owens as the fullback run off tackle repeatedly on a opening 80 yard TD drive before UT figured out that 7 perfectly executed plays would be all that was needed for one of the great all time football seasons. It was great to be an Auburn Tiger in 1972!

Little doc

Connie was one of our high school coaches. He said it was his doing not Shug's. Unfortunately Connie is not around anymore. Because he was a character. he told us some wild stories.

The last bammer to miss Fredrick was their revered Johnny Musso. Connie faked him out of his jock. Chanted from the AU stands throughout that game: "Bear Who? Roll What?

It was a great day to be an Auburn Tiger in B'ham!

I remember that play like it was yesterday. I was 11 years old and listening to the radio while I was messing around outside. I also remember one of my friend's dad had a bumper sticker that said, "Bear Beware the Eagle has Landed 49-26", which was a tie-in to the first lunar landing.

Same here...listening on the radio and enjoying the win....there was nothing like listening to Gary Sanders call a game...gotta go find 17-16 now...

I remember the play very well.

Also remember the running joke afterwards that Bear would barely be able to field a team in '70, because most of his players were still in Legion Field waiting for Connie Frederick to punt...

The last bammer to miss Fredrick was their revered Johnny Musso. Connie faked him out of his jock. Chanted from the AU stands throughout that game: "Bear Who? Roll What?

It was a great day to be an Auburn Tiger in B'ham!

None of you probably know this but Johnny Musso's sister, Barbara Meshad Dooley and I started Auburn together in 1957. We often rode home to Bham together from Auburn for a weekend. I remember dropping off Mary Jo Musso at her house in east Bham and watching little Johnny playing in the yard. I think he was nine at the time. I used to give Mary Jo a lot of grief later in life about letting her "little brother" go to bama. He was a nice kid though and a great football player, his only drawback is he chose the wrong school. Merry Christmas everyone and WDE!!!!

It was a shame that we did not win at least 3 more games in the 1960s. 1967 was a game stolen by the refs. If we had replay then like today, we win 3-0. I was a kid then, and took any Auburn loss very hard. When we lost that game in 67, I did not eat for 2 days. I wish I could do that now!

Same here...listening on the radio and enjoying the win....there was nothing like listening to Gary Sanders call a game...gotta go find 17-16 now...

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but before the era of ESPN and so many games on TV, I listened to a radio show after the Auburn games to get the status and scores of all of the other games. I think it was called Football Cavalcade. With, maybe Dave Campbell and a lady, whose name I do not remember. Anyone else remember the show or details?

I also remember listening to Leonard's Losers before the games.

good for you I also found this

Lucas paired with longtime talk show host Dave Campbell on WAPI for the Saturday Football Cavalcade pre-game show in the fall during the 1960s and 70s. Another former WAPI announcer, Sterling Brewer, went on to fame as the host of "Live Studio Wrestling" on WBMG-TV (now CBS42 WIAT). Former station manager and announcer Everett Holley also will sit on the panel.

I have extremely fond memories of that game. Early in the season I gave an Alabama fan 19 1/2 points and he gave me 5 to 1, His $500 and my $100 - I confirmed the bet the week of the game and went to south Fla for a vacation and did not return until Wed and he never paid. It drummed him out of the JCs ( a big group in Mobile at the time) - I think the man owes me $500 but the bragging rights were worth almost that.

Archived