UAT Players NFL Ready or Not, Saban Develops NFL Talent, or ??? (Lawson Threadjack)

auburn4ever

I am going to ruffle some feathers with this post so those who disagree do not take it personally. The thought that some of you have that Bama is basically doing nothing and are getting players that would have gone to the NFL anyway is complete and total Horse poo doo. Watching our football team this year should have busted that myth in your faces like a punch in the mouth. We have recruited at or near the same level as Bama for the past 4 classes. Based on the theory Bama got players that would be succesful and get to the NFL anyway Auburn should have been able to sleepwalk to a 9-3 record instead of the humiliating 3-9 season we just went through. Here is the reality. While elite high school players have statistically a better chance of being succesful and making the pros no player, outside of maybe Jedaveon Clowney, is a lock to make it to the pros on raw talent alone. The truth is all players have to be coached up and, like it or not, give the devil his due. Saban and his staff are as good at developing talent as any team in the country. :soapbox: over

As someone once said, so many times, in so many threads, " Can we please get back to Carl Lawson now ? " :laugh:

I am going to ruffle some feathers with this post so those who disagree do not take it personally. The thought that some of you have that Bama is basically doing nothing and are getting players that would have gone to the NFL anyway is complete and total Horse poo doo. Watching our football team this year should have busted that myth in your faces like a punch in the mouth. We have recruited at or near the same level as Bama for the past 4 classes. Based on the theory Bama got players that would be succesful and get to the NFL anyway Auburn should have been able to sleepwalk to a 9-3 record instead of the humiliating 3-9 season we just went through. Here is the reality. While elite high school players have statistically a better chance of being succesful and making the pros no player, outside of maybe Jedaveon Clowney, is a lock to make it to the pros on raw talent alone. The truth is all players have to be coached up and, like it or not, give the devil his due. Saban and his staff are as good at developing talent as any team in the country. :soapbox: over

As someone once said, so many times, in so many threads, " Can we please get back to Carl Lawson now ? " :laugh:

hey listen, Saban is an excellent coach no doubt about it but the idea that he's better at getting players to the NFL I dont buy. Sorry. How does anybody make it to the league if that aren't coached by Saban? All collegiate coaches know the fundamentals of the postion they coach. Its ironic to me that the Houston Texans said the Alabama DB they signed hadn't had good fundamentals coaching at the collegiate level but had been making plays on his raw talent...LOL but it was Saban that got him there! mmmhmmmm

Auburn has put A LOT MORE players in the NFL then Alabama has. Carl, Dee, and Reuben, just go online and check it out for yourself. You'll find that Auburn is the path way to the NFL but only IF your willing to work really really hard while your at Auburn.

You are wrong. The numbers are very close and uat has put many more in the league in the last five years than Auburn has.

Bama has been signing players that are likely to go to the NFL no matter where they attend college. It isn't Saban "getting them to the next level."

I believe our last coaching staff felt the exact same way you feel. They thought all they had to do was sign players that were "likely" to go to the NFL no matter what - the notion that they actually had to develop, train and put in time and effort with make those players to get them "NFL ready" never even crossed their damn minds. We see where the AU program is today, we saw where that philosophy got us last year, winless in the SEC and a humiliating season. High school players don't get themselves to the "next level", it takes dedicated coaches in college to get them there.

I would agree 100%... I've never once seen a Senior in HS that was ready to play in the NFL. To say Saban and his team are not getting players into the NFL is stupid...

Trent Richardson, Fluker, and Julio were pretty close...some even felt Julio was physically ready right out if high school...

I am going to ruffle some feathers with this post so those who disagree do not take it personally. The thought that some of you have that Bama is basically doing nothing and are getting players that would have gone to the NFL anyway is complete and total Horse poo doo. Watching our football team this year should have busted that myth in your faces like a punch in the mouth. We have recruited at or near the same level as Bama for the past 4 classes. Based on the theory Bama got players that would be succesful and get to the NFL anyway Auburn should have been able to sleepwalk to a 9-3 record instead of the humiliating 3-9 season we just went through. Here is the reality. While elite high school players have statistically a better chance of being succesful and making the pros no player, outside of maybe Jedaveon Clowney, is a lock to make it to the pros on raw talent alone. The truth is all players have to be coached up and, like it or not, give the devil his due. Saban and his staff are as good at developing talent as any team in the country. :soapbox:/> over

That was never my point. Saban has done a good job developing the talent he has. He happens to have NFL caliber talent, however. The Bama players that make it to the NFL are the ones largely expected to make it to the NFL when they are being recruited out of high school. These players could have gone to a number of successful programs and made it to the NFL. Most successful coaches develop their talent. Chizik and company did not. Thus, they are gone. This isn't really complicated or controversial.

Thumbs up...

Totally agree

Saban is the best college coach in the country. Gus would be wise to emulate the discipline at Auburn that Saban instills at Alabama.

The first visit would have to be to APD to buy them off

• 2 weeks later...

1000% agree. This is why they have the rule that players must be in a college program 3 years before being eligible for the NFL. This gives them time to develop physically and mentally. If a kid were to jump from high school to the NFL, like the NBA use to allow, they would get killed the first week. The job of the college coaching staff is to put this kid through 3 years of S&C (mandatory, not voluntary, workouts) and mental preperation (film study, juggling the rigors of playing football AND attending classes, following a structured routine, following a disciplined schedule). None of this seemed to be happening on the Plains under Chizik. I cringe everytime I see tweets from our players like "heading to Waffle House" at 2:30am, or "been playing this Call of Duty for 8 hours straight". I automatically think "you should be in the weight room". Saban runs his program like the military, and it is producing outstanding results. How else do you explain RB's that bench 450lbs., or nose tackles that bench 600+ lbs? Before you say PED's, please remember that until any of that talk is PROVEN, it's all just rumor and innuendo.

I have 100% faith that Gus and his staff will put an end to the "voluntary" attitude of our players, and bring about a "mandatory" shift in their routines. Those that don't like this will hit the road, and be replaced with players that truly WANT to get better. Like Gus said, it's a "new day" on the Plains, and you better want to work hard, earn your spot on the team, and give 110% EVERYDAY. If not, don't let the doorknob hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

War Eagle!!!

The first signs of a loser:

1) Blame somebody else for your failures

2) Start making up reasons to convince yourself that other winners are actually losers (for whatever reason) so you will feel better about yourself.

JMO.

Archived