2013 3* WR Christian Cumberlander (SDSU signee)

auburnandjagsfan

Mikey, I don't think we're running out of space. We have 19 either committed or signed. We have 28 slots. By most accounts we have in the neighborhood of 18-20 targets, with a number of them being longshots (like Greg Bryant).

Odds are, we land 7 or 8 of those targets and end with one spot left.

Think of it this way. If the dream scenario comes true and we land Foster, MacKensie Alexander, Adams or Johnson, Daniel, Ford, Folston, Mix, Walton, AND Elder... THEN, you don't have room for Cumberlander. If we think the guy can help us, we should take him. We're not running out of room.

We need another two linebackers more than we need a sixth WR.

Nkimideche(sp) held Clemson's feet to the fire, got them to accept comittments from three of his teammates and then he bailed to Ole Miss, leaving Clemson holding the bag with three guys they may not have recruited otherwise.

Do we want to get railroaded like that? With only 28 slots, is it reasonable to think we need to use six on WR's? I think a resounding "no" is the proper answer to both questions.

Foster would be a great addition to this class, but if he wants to hold us at gunpoint to get his signature, we can do without that.

Given the fact that Marcus Davis is widely seen as an "athlete" that may end up on either side of the ball (WR/CB), again, I'd say if our coaches feel Cumberlander can help... bring him on.

Given the fact that Marcus Davis is widely seen as an "athlete" that may end up on either side of the ball (WR/CB), again, I'd say if our coaches feel Cumberlander can help... bring him on.

Here's how I'm looking at it. There are literally dozens of guys out there that "can help" and at the most only nine slots left. After already getting five WR guys, we almost certainly need help at other positions more than we need to add a sixth WR.

As far as "ath", if depth at WR is a problem the ATH won't be shifted to CB. Speaking of which, we've got one CB committed. Add a sixth WR or a second CB? A sixth WR or a third LB? A sixth WR or a second OL? A sixth WR or a second RB?

If there's to be any balance to this class at all, we have to be finished at WR with five. Once could say that five is already too many.

one COULD say that, but Gus is the only one that can say it isn't and make it happen...... just sayin.

one COULD say that, but Gus is the only one that can say it isn't and make it happen...... just sayin.

Of course. And it's likely that Gus has said just that. Giving Foster's buddy a fun weekend and as mentioned above, a Cam Newton autograph harms nothing. I don't see anywhere that Cumberlander has a commitable offer from Auburn.

good point. it's a shame to think about how much money is being thrown around to these recruits during these difficult economic times.

Mikey my point was we have flexibility in that group that you're taking for granted as five WRs. Smith is getting a look at QB. What if he sticks there? What if Davis is better than our other CB prospects? Why not shift him there and sign a WR replacement? My point is, if this guy can help, sign him up and sort out the roster later. Plenty of flexibility in our current WR commits.

We are competing with a program that just had their head coach camp out with RF's Mom in his home for 6 hours. Its not like Cumberlander can't play ball, so if it came down to the end and it closed the deal, I would bring him on board. I would make RF sign his LOI first though. ;)

We are competing with a program that just had their head coach camp out with RF's Mom in his home for 6 hours. Its not like Cumberlander can't play ball, so if it came down to the end and it closed the deal, I would would bring him on board. I would make RF sign his LOI first though. ;)

Good thinking! That would stop us from getting messed over like Clemson did.

Do we need a LB with Foster's ability? No doubt. However, if getting Foster to sign with Auburn is dependent on us also signing his buddy I'd tell both of 'em to take a hike.

Foster has spent more time around the AU campus and our new coaching staff than any player in history, except perhaps for various coach's sons. By now if he doesn't want to come to Auburn on its own mertits both he and Auburn would probably be better off if he goes elsewhere.

We are competing with a program that just had their head coach camp out with RF's Mom in his home for 6 hours. Its not like Cumberlander can't play ball, so if it came down to the end and it closed the deal, I would would bring him on board. I would make RF sign his LOI first though. ;)

Good thinking! That would stop us from getting messed over like Clemson did.

Do we need a LB with Foster's ability? No doubt. However, if getting Foster to sign with Auburn is dependent on us also signing his buddy I'd tell both of 'em to take a hike.

Foster has spent more time around the AU campus and our new coaching staff than any player in history, except perhaps for various coach's sons. By now if he doesn't want to come to Auburn on its own mertits both he and Auburn would probably be better off if he goes elsewhere.

I can also see that point of view Mikey, in fact I am not far from it myself. But, we have so much time invested in this kid coupled with the fact that of the 5 WRs, Smith could end up at QB and Davis at CB, I honestly think I would just get it done and move on. I don't think this staff will be in a position like this from here on out. I also think there will need to be some serious de-recruiting on some of these players but I think this is just the staff to do it. If it wasn't for that, I would already be in your camp.

good point. it's a shame to think about how much money is being thrown around to these recruits during these difficult economic times.

Hey man wadda ya mean? It's like the Fed's stimulus programs except the taxpayers aren't paying for it.....just AU doing it's share to help this dismal economy recover. :)

Mikey my point was we have flexibility in that group that you're taking for granted as five WRs. Smith is getting a look at QB. What if he sticks there? What if Davis is better than our other CB prospects? Why not shift him there and sign a WR replacement? My point is, if this guy can help, sign him up and sort out the roster later. Plenty of flexibility in our current WR commits.

Your position makes sense if Cumberlander is the best WR prospect that we can get and the coaching staff thinks we need another WR. I got the feeling that with the comittment of Davis we were finished at WR. Of course, that could be wrong.

NOW: There is no evidence that Foster is trying to bully AU into giving his friend a scholarship. If that is what's happening, this would be a great opportunity to draw a line in the sand and demonstrate that the coaches and not the players are running this program.

Your position makes sense if Cumberlander is the best WR prospect that we can get and the coaching staff thinks we need another WR. I got the feeling that with the comittment of Davis we were finished at WR. Of course, that could be wrong.

NOW: There is no evidence that Foster is trying to bully AU into giving his friend a scholarship. If that is what's happening, this would be a great opportunity to draw a line in the sand and demonstrate that the coaches and not the players are running this program.

Excellent point about whose running the program. That said, I'll trust their judgement implicitly as it relates to their handling of whether or not to bring in this kid when it seems we're fairly well set at the WR position. Things are rarely what they seem and the coaches have to be trusted until they cant be anymore...see 2012.

He's not shown as having an offer. Anyone know what's up with him? His vids look good, but they all do to me - except for the hilarious one put up by the kid who only played on special teams and fell down or got de-cleated on almost every play.

Archived