Are we ever going to win??

AUgrad00

I am an older guy and have no qualms about being politically incorrect. I played basketball until I was 42 years old, no college,just jr high,rec leaugue,HS,and outdoor ball. Very few people I played with after I was 16 were white,like me. The ones that were could shoot the rock. The ones that were black could shoot the rock. Where does AU find all these players that can't throw a freakin' rock in the freakin' ocean? Year after year,coach after coach. Is acuuracy shooting the basketball even a priority anymore? AU wins 100 more games in the last 20 years if players can hit wide open shots from the field and foul shots. I just don't understand. Jumping 2 feet over the rim is over rated. Being money from 15-25 feet is WAY under rated,IMHO.

I watch a fair amount of college BB and it's not just AU. And of course we saw Bama last night look even worse than AU....and UGa and USCe are not much better if at all.

As for shooters, you still have them in the midwest and northwest where most small to middle sized HSs are populated by white guys under 6'-4" and none of them are going to be slammng and jamming. The only way most of them are going to score is from outside. The Butlers and Gonzagas of the world have to depend on shooters since they rarely get the athletes that the SEC is noted for. ...and with teams like that, you don't turn your back on a kid standing out at the 3 point line like people do in the SEC against most guards in the conference.

EXACTLY!!! So why don't we do something really radical ? Recruit one good,solid point guard, who hopefully can hit a wide open shot. Then get 2 guys who can jump out of the gym,or maybe one of them can be 6' 10 or 11', and just a bit athletic. Then get 2 guys who can knock down threes,as we are obviously not gonna be able to recruit the athletes Kentucky or Florida gets. If we can't do that, get 'em in great shape and do what Arkansas does- press the heck out of 'em full court for fourty minutes. ANYTHING would be an improvement. WDE anyway. :wareagle:

I am an older guy and have no qualms about being politically incorrect. I played basketball until I was 42 years old, no college,just jr high,rec leaugue,HS,and outdoor ball. Very few people I played with after I was 16 were white,like me. The ones that were could shoot the rock. The ones that were black could shoot the rock. Where does AU find all these players that can't throw a freakin' rock in the freakin' ocean? Year after year,coach after coach. Is acuuracy shooting the basketball even a priority anymore? AU wins 100 more games in the last 20 years if players can hit wide open shots from the field and foul shots. I just don't understand. Jumping 2 feet over the rim is over rated. Being money from 15-25 feet is WAY under rated,IMHO.

I watch a fair amount of college BB and it's not just AU. And of course we saw Bama last night look even worse than AU....and UGa and USCe are not much better if at all.

All of the teams you mention currently suck out loud at the game of basketball, thus proving juscAUse's point. We have not had a fundamental basketball player playing basketball for AU since before Lebo. We have "athletes" attempting to play the game of basketball and they are not good at it. Learn to shoot the ball, make free throws, and play fundamental basketball. We do not do that under Barbee (and we did not under Lebo). Ellis cheated his rear off and we had some basketball players, but Ellis was being Ellis.

wde

All of the teams you mention currently suck out loud at the game of basketball, thus proving juscAUse's point. We have not had a fundamental basketball player playing basketball for AU since before Lebo. We have "athletes" attempting to play the game of basketball and they are not good at it. Learn to shoot the ball, make free throws, and play fundamental basketball. We do not do that under Barbee (and we did not under Lebo). Ellis cheated his rear off and we had some basketball players, but Ellis was being Ellis.

wde

I completely agree. Look at Miami right now. They hired Larranaga from George Mason, and are now in the top 10. They have players who can flat out play the game in a system that plays to their strengths. Even if that's an extreme case, there's no reason Auburn should be struggling so much when there are schools all around the country in much smaller conferences than the SEC playing better basketball. It's all about recruiting players who can play the game of basketball and putting them in a system to be successful. AU should be able to get the good shooters playing at schools like Belmont, but they need a coach with the right mindset and system in order to go after those kids. We can start winning basketball games, but we have to get away from recruiting the athletes you mention, and recruiting basketball players first.

wde

I completely agree. Look at Miami right now. They hired Larranaga from George Mason, and are now in the top 10. They have players who can flat out play the game in a system that plays to their strengths. Even if that's an extreme case, there's no reason Auburn should be struggling so much when there are schools all around the country in much smaller conferences than the SEC playing better basketball. It's all about recruiting players who can play the game of basketball and putting them in a system to be successful. AU should be able to get the good shooters playing at schools like Belmont, but they need a coach with the right mindset and system in order to go after those kids. We can start winning basketball games, but we have to get away from recruiting the athletes you mention, and recruiting basketball players first.

You wonder if Larry Bird could EVER get a scholarship to AU or uat. Can't jump, awkward, slow, no defense......

Archived