Jay Jacobs Speaks.... (Try not to cringe)

WarAJEagle

Whoa, he has 5 years left on his contract? I might have to change my stance on seeing it go to the end. I thought it was more like 2.

What do you want JJ to say??? If he hung CTB out to dry, everyone would be screaming about that too. Basketball is a Cletus Fox and has been for the past 3+ years. If I can be critical of JJ on anything, it's that he has Barbee signed to a 5+ year contract.

Barbee says the SEC is one of the toughest conferences?? That's a joke...the SEC is one of the worst.

Jay Jacobs enfuriates me. A change needs to be made in basketball, and immediately after the season. While both Smith and Ellis did take a while to build the program, they were never responsible for the worst three year span in basketball history, and they weren't responsible for the worst home loss in 60 years before a packed crowd and in a new stadium. The team lacks fundamentals you learn in elementary school and Barbee consistently dodges blame and throws players under the bus. I don't want a coach that says he's "embarrassed to be the coach at Auburn".

Jay Jacobs enfuriates me. A change needs to be made in basketball, and immediately after the season. While both Smith and Ellis did take a while to build the program, they were never responsible for the worst three year span in basketball history, and they weren't responsible for the worst home loss in 60 years before a packed crowd and in a new stadium. The team lacks fundamentals you learn in elementary school and Barbee consistently dodges blame and throws players under the bus. I don't want a coach that says he's "embarrassed to be the coach at Auburn".

I could be wrong, but I think Barbee's quote was "I am embarrassed to coach this team."...directed to the lack of effort and commitment from the players. Never said anything about Auburn.

A lot can happen in less than 5 years.

Summer of 2010 we had a national football title under the guy JJ hired, JJ navigated a satisfactory conclusion to the Cam non-story/investigation, we'd hired an exciting new basketball coach and Auburn swimming continued to dominate. Not 3 years later and Chizik (and thus JJ) get zero credit for "Gus Malzahn's football title", the "Cecil Newton" story would have blown over anyway, Barbee looks like another in a line of failed hires on the hard court and AU small ticket sports not setting the world on fire. Malzahn lights it up w/in a couple years, AU men make it to the NCAA tourny next year, women go far in the NCAA tournament and golf, swimming, soccer, etc are all respectable and the like/tolerate/hate JJ pendulum swing's again. If you think JJ's AU fan relations are unique, study up on Jeremy Foley from UF who hires, can't hold, & hires "legends" to the wild applause or fury of Gators.

A lot can happen in less than 5 years.

Summer of 2010 we had a national football title under the guy JJ hired, JJ navigated a satisfactory conclusion to the Cam non-story/investigation, we'd hired an exciting new basketball coach and Auburn swimming continued to dominate. Not 3 years later and Chizik (and thus JJ) get zero credit for "Gus Malzahn's football title", the "Cecil Newton" story would have blown over anyway, Barbee looks like another in a line of failed hires on the hard court and AU small ticket sports not setting the world on fire. Malzahn lights it up w/in a couple years, AU men make it to the NCAA tourny next year, women go far in the NCAA tournament and golf, swimming, soccer, etc are all respectable and the like/tolerate/hate JJ pendulum swing's again. If you think JJ's AU fan relations are unique, study up on Jeremy Foley from UF who hires, can't hold, & hires "legends" to the wild applause or fury of Gators.

I've never met a Florida fan who has been furious with Jeremy Foley. The guy hires championship winning coaches everyone and is the best AD in the nation. When Zook had 3 ok seasons, Foley didn't settle and hired the coach that led them to 2 national championships. And the Billy Donovan hire seems to have worked.

The SEC sucks in basketball and than 2 or 3 teams, the SEC is only just a little bit better in baseball.

please educate yourself before you speak. The SEC is one of the premiere baseball conferences in the country.

"- Drawing from his first two recruiting classes, six of the eight high school prospects to sign a national letter of intent to Auburn have departed the program for various reasons. (Only junior starters Chris Denson and Allen Payne are still in uniform.) All three signees from 2011 – Barbee’s first full year to recruit for Auburn – are gone, leaving a vacant sophomore class."

This quote from the article is what has had me most concerned with Barbee, you cannot coach revolving door players, they need to be in your system for a couple of years, even Kentucky this year is proving that. If we have any leaving this year, Greene, Johnson last years signees, we may want to send Barbee with them. At this point we have a good early signing class, but they will do no good if we have the upper class guys leaving. It is kind of scary, Chizik was a good on the field (game coach), but was bad news off. Is Barbee the same? Got to keep discipline in the system and keep the kids here with out running everyone off.

As for JJ he is ... well he needs to go, not just b/c of basketball, it would be just one small reason.

"- Drawing from his first two recruiting classes, six of the eight high school prospects to sign a national letter of intent to Auburn have departed the program for various reasons. (Only junior starters Chris Denson and Allen Payne are still in uniform.) All three signees from 2011 – Barbee’s first full year to recruit for Auburn – are gone, leaving a vacant sophomore class."

This quote from the article is what has had me most concerned with Barbee, you cannot coach revolving door players, they need to be in your system for a couple of years, even Kentucky this year is proving that. If we have any leaving this year, Greene, Johnson last years signees, we may want to send Barbee with them. At this point we have a good early signing class, but they will do no good if we have the upper class guys leaving. It is kind of scary, Chizik was a good on the field (game coach), but was bad news off. Is Barbee the same? Got to keep discipline in the system and keep the kids here with out running everyone off.

As for JJ he is ... well he needs to go, not just b/c of basketball, it would be just one small reason.

I like this "Auburn has filled its building to 85 percent capacity for SEC games, close to its 2012 average." Are they watching the same games I am? Only the student section looks full. What was the point of building a tiny gym and still not selling it out? At least Lebo had some decent seasons. Barbee was lucky to get some good players at UTEP and have one good season and cash in on it at Auburn. UTEP was still good after he left and Auburn is still bad after he came. Jacobs really needs to go because of this buyouts and locking Auburn into coaches where the only downside to them not working out is on Auburn's side and never the coaches. Auburn also had to buyout Barbee's contract from UTEP. The arogance that Jacobs has is rediculous. He's feels he's such a good evaluator of talent that he has found a coach that as soon as he comes to Auburn will be so successful that other universities will try to lure them away so creates these crazy buyouts.

Whoa, he has 5 years left on his contract? I might have to change my stance on seeing it go to the end. I thought it was more like 2.

I wonder who gave him a contract that long :-\

Everytime JJ starts to speak, I cringe.

Your input here is worse than Jacobs. Have you educated yourself about SEC baseball yet after your ridiculous statement above?

Archived