Rating the RB's of RBU

Newbomb

I saw a weird stat the other day on NFL Live, I think it was. Most RBs drafted in the first 3 rounds since what I think they were calling the "common draft" began.

If I remember right, Penn State was first with 17, Nebraska and another team (can't remember) were tied for second most with 14.

Anyone know how to find out where Auburn ranks according to this scale?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'79 William Andrews

'80 Joe Cribbs

'81 James Brooks

'86 Bo

'87 Brent Fullwood

'94 James Bostic (how did we forget him?)

'01 Heath Evans (FB)

'05 Carnell Williams

'05 Ronnie Brown

'07 Kenny Irons

'10 Ben Tate

Common era draft started in '67

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/colleges/auburn/drafted.htm

'79 William Andrews

'80 Joe Cribbs

'81 James Brooks

'86 Bo

'87 Brent Fullwood

'94 James Bostic (how did we forget him?)

'01 Heath Evans (FB)

'05 Carnell Williams

'05 Ronnie Brown

'07 Kenny Irons

'10 Ben Tate

Common era draft started in '67

http://www.pro-footb...urn/drafted.htm

Cool, thanks. So, we had 11, and the second place teams (Nebraska and someone) had 14. But Penn State with 17! That surprised me a lot.

Great call on Bostic. I was at the 93 game against bama when he broke that run up the middle. Awesome. Im still amazed I remember that. Or was that Florida? Oh well thought I remembered, but two of the best games ever and I was a student in great seats. Unbelievable.

I really loved little train growing up and fullwood was a beast. I think an under appreciated guy was Irons. I hated when he hurt his knee first year in the NFL. He could have been really good there. Loved to see his long strides and quick cuts.

Andrews, Brooks and Cribbs were all in the same backfield-- maybe the most talented backfield in NCAA history. Three future all-pro RBs. The only thing limiting Andrews' stats was sharing the backfield with those guys.

Lets just remember... Auburn is considered "Running Back U".

Tailbacks are RB's...

Fullbacks are also considered RB's...

Lets not short-change any of AU's GREAT fullbacks (both collegiate and professional) just because they didn't get a bulk of the carries.

Tommy Agee, Fred Beasley, and Heath Evans were all great RunningBacks.

Agee was my favorite until Heath came along. Heath is the most versatile FB we have had in my life IMO. Let's not forget Tony Richardson in the FB list. He not only had a great college career, but he spent more than a decade and a half in the NFL. Just unheard of for a FB.

Dang... Tony Richardson is why I originally made the post! Can't believe I left him out...

Harold Morrow had a relatively good pro career.

It is amazing the number of very good back AU has had. In the late 60's/early 70's a couple of guys who had pro careers were Mickey Zolfko and Wallace Clark. Both gained over 500 yds in 1969 and Terry Henley was All Sec in 72.

Neat, and difficult to argue with

May I inquire as to the formula, or is it proprietary?

(yards per carry*4) +(Yards per game/3) + (100-rushing TD's/4)

Roger

and many thanks

It is amazing the number of very good back AU has had. In the late 60's/early 70's a couple of guys who had pro careers were Mickey Zolfko and Wallace Clark. Both gained over 500 yds in 1969 and Terry Henley was All Sec in 72.

Glad somebody mentioned those three. They were followed up by Mitzi Jackson and Sedrick McIntyre.

Tim Horton ‏@CoachTimHorton

Love the Auburn Running Back Tradition! #RunningBackU #WarEagle

BPAmwWiCQAAvIz0.jpg

That's nice, but for the life of me I don't understand how Little Train is not on there and Brandon Jacobs is.

Or William Andrews. Or Jimmy Hitchcock. We need a bigger poster that includes every fullback we've ever put in the NFL.

Andrews, Brooks and Cribbs were all in the same backfield-- maybe the most talented backfield in NCAA history. Three future all-pro RBs. The only thing limiting Andrews' stats was sharing the backfield with those guys.

The first Au game I ever attended was AU vs Vandy in Nashville in 79 I think.AU beat them like a rented mule.Brooks and Cribbs had a great day.It is truly amazing the numbers they put sharing the carries.Just like Bo and Fullwood.I think those two sets of backs were the greatest ever.I don't know how you wouldn't put Bo at the top.But you have to remember (if your old like me)Brooks and Cribbs were not on as good of teams as Bo and Fullwood.

I am going to refrain from listing, but I believe that had he not played behind Bo or if he had another year after 1986 that Brent Fullwood would be way up there at number 2 or 3 on the list. His 86 season (8.3 yards per carry in the SEC) was one of the best ever. In fact, over his 4 years at AU he averaged 7.2 yards per carry. That same year he came within less than 400 yards of Jackson's single season AU record set in 85 on over 100 less carries than Jackson had in 85. I do understand that he benefitted from a better passing attack in 86 that cleared the box out more, but I still believe he was one of AU's most talented backs ever, and Bo Jackson was the only man in America that could keep him off the field.

I agree with this post!

The first Au game I ever attended was AU vs Vandy in Nashville in 79 I think.AU beat them like a rented mule.Brooks and Cribbs had a great day.It is truly amazing the numbers they put sharing the carries.Just like Bo and Fullwood.I think those two sets of backs were the greatest ever.I don't know how you wouldn't put Bo at the top.But you have to remember (if your old like me)Brooks and Cribbs were not on as good of teams as Bo and Fullwood.

Brooks and Cribbs were great pros, too. Excellent backs on mediocre teams in college.

Injuries are part of the sport , but I would have liked to see what Kenny Irons, Lectron Williams and Brad Lester would have done had they stayed healthy their entire career.Many have spoken about Fullwood and he was a stud. Anyone remember when he got homesick and left school for about two weeks ? That cost us Emmit Smith. He was close to a lock for us (loved Pat Dye), but his mom was concerned after the Fullwood deal that Emmit might not get his degree is he went to Auburn. Emmit even told Tommy Agee later when they played for the Cowboys he wished he had come to Auburn. I hope CAM and Mason do enough to make that top 10 tough to reshuffle. We need to put some more 5*s in the pipeline and crank RBU back up !

War Eagle !

• 4 months later...

Bo is first…Tucker Fredrickson is second...all the others just toss 'em in any old way.

You know football- Bo might have been a better runner but Tucker was a much better blocker (ask Jimmy Sidel who led the nation in rushing until the last week of the season in 1963 - Bama had a good defense)

Collis Campbell would have probably been on the list, but he had to share with Bo and Brent....ala Brandon Jacobs with Caddy and Ronnie. If I could choose any of the players mentioned(other than Bo) to be on my team, I would take Fullwood and never think twice.

Mason has to be one of the top 3-5 now. If he breaks Bo's rushing yardage record I don't know how you couldn't put him top 2.

I was glad to see someone include Stephen Davis. I think that both James Bostic and Stacey Danley reserve some honorable mention. They were both beasts when healthy.

+1....Bostics 94 Iron Bowl is still a great memory for me.

It's really hard to make decisions with guys this good but every time I see Irons on a list I think that Tre should be there instead.

Crushed a bammer today. I over heard him say it was BS that mason was in the heisman hunt. I stood up and yelled at him and asked about ingrams heisman year. Compare the stats. He started crawfishing and said he meant this and that. He's such a D bag. WAR EAGLE

Archived