Rating the All Time Receivers at Auburn...

Newbomb

The only people that think Sanders or any other Auburn receiver is in a class with Beasley never saw Beasley play. He was so far ahead that there can be no second. Second is vacant and the discussion starts with who should be third.

Lol thats a hell of a statement

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am on the other side of the world and just read that whole war damn debate of the above couple pages. I never knew it was a thing. War damn seems kind of inside to me but if it rubs the other way then war damn eagle it is. We need some real football games to get us all out of this funk. I am tired of watching films of years past with nothing much since the bowl game in 2011 to watch since Cam left. Was just re-watching the 2005 AU-UGA game where Obamanu takes an end around about 30 yards to put AU back up 21-20 early in the third quarter I think. To get back to the topic, I guess I like best the wide receivers who could also run that end around. (Lawyer Tillman beating Bama there in Legion Field in 1986). Not sure how to rank it among all-time great Auburn plays but will never forget that Frank Sanders reverse against Florida in 1994 (not to mention that catch he made when Nix came in to replace Doc Burger against Bama). Did not see Terry Beasley in person but he had a pretty good quarterback throwing him the ball and he just physically was no match to FS so I still put FS above TB with all due respect to the human deer. WDE

I am on the other side of the world and just read that whole war damn debate of the above couple pages. I never knew it was a thing. War damn seems kind of inside to me but if it rubs the other way then war damn eagle it is. We need some real football games to get us all out of this funk. I am tired of watching films of years past with nothing much since the bowl game in 2011 to watch since Cam left. Was just re-watching the 2005 AU-UGA game where Obamanu takes an end around about 30 yards to put AU back up 21-20 early in the third quarter I think. To get back to the topic, I guess I like best the wide receivers who could also run that end around. (Lawyer Tillman beating Bama there in Legion Field in 1986). Not sure how to rank it among all-time great Auburn plays but will never forget that Frank Sanders reverse against Florida in 1994 (not to mention that catch he made when Nix came in to replace Doc Burger against Bama). Did not see Terry Beasley in person but he had a pretty good quarterback throwing him the ball and he just physically was no match to FS so I still put FS above TB with all due respect to the human deer. WDE

Not sure how you can rank Frank Sanders above Terry Beasley if you never saw him play. I saw them both, and a lot of others, and I love Frank, but he was not in the same league as Terry - who also ran reverses. Terry had the upper body strength to get rid of defenders, great hands, speed to burn, and was fearless going across the middle at a time when the rules did nothing to protect a receiver. Terry was the total package.

Again a thread goes away from its original intent. that is my main gripe about this board. have to read through dozens of inane posts off subject to see how folks feel about our history of great to really good to even just favorite receivers. But it has been interesting; just off subject. back to the OP`s starting point. It is hard to argue with most if any names mentioned but I will even add a few more. Back in the Sullivan Beasley days, we also had Dick Schmalz and Alvin Breasler to compliment Terry. Even before and a lot of you don`t remember due to age was Freddie Hyatt. Went on to play several years with the St Louis Cardinals. We have had a lot of really good receivers over the years but there was only one Terry Beasley. Fast as lightning and tough as anyone ever to wear the "Orange and Blue" at any position.WDE

The only people that think Sanders or any other Auburn receiver is in a class with Beasley never saw Beasley play. He was so far ahead that there can be no second. Second is vacant and the discussion starts with who should be third.

Lol thats a hell of a statement

And every bit of it is true!

To Mikey's post on July 18. 2013..."You're so right, Carl". I still remember Coach Jordan.

1. Terry Beasley - 86 ypg tops everyone, most career TDs

2. Karsten Bailey - 2nd in career yards, 17 TDs

3. Frank Sanders

4. Darvin Adams - clutch

5. Emory Blake

6. Ronney Daniels

7. Courtney Taylor

8. Tyrone Goodson - career yardage leader

9. Ben Obomanu - 18 TDs

10. Lawyer Tillman

Good list. I would probably remove Adams and throw in Wegand or Greg Taylor. Interesting note... Rod Smith is 6th in all time receptions and 8th in yardage. Others to think of are Alex Wright, Thomas Bailey, Willie Gosha, and Byron Franklin.

These additions make a really good list. Cannot forget Bailey and Franklin. Both had pretty good Pro careers. Gosha was another good one.

Robert Baker, if he could have kept his act together, could have belonged to this list. The guy had great football skills, but a warped brain.

I sure do remember Freddie Hyatt, I even got the chance to play golf with him once. Really nice guy, Didn't he pass away several years ago?

Shane Wasden? :jossun:

Shane Wasden? :jossun:/>

Good player and had a great catch to beat the Gators, but not anywhere near top ten IMHO.

I sure do remember Freddie Hyatt, I even got the chance to play golf with him once. Really nice guy, Didn't he pass away several years ago?

Last I heard of Freddy he was still in the horse business down in Florida. That was around 2008. For years he had a horse farm in Jackson Gap, Alabama. He got in a bit of trouble smuggling cocaine placed in condoms and put into horse's digestive systems, to be flushed out at a later time and place. He was allowed to do work release from the prison in Alex City. He'd get his morning coffee at a shop in Dadeville, go to his day's work at his horse farm in Jackson Gap and return to the lockup at night. All that was finished several years ago and he then sold that farm and moved to Florida. I lost track of him after that. I still have a feeder I bought from him when he was getting rid of the Jackson Gap farm and equipment. As you said, he was a really nice guy who had a great career at Auburn and with the NFL Cardinals.

• 4 months later...

As of Post #64 this is an alphabetical list of the names mentioned (not including quoted sections) in this thread. The numbers are approximate and the spellings may need correcting.

For what it's worth:

========================

Darvin Adams (3)

Devin Aromashodu (3)

Karsten Bailey (7)

Thomas Bailey (3)

Robert Baker (2)

Terry Beasley (14)

Emory Blake (3)

Alvin Bressler (2)

Tim Carter (4)

Ronney Daniels (5)