Rating the All Time Receivers at Auburn...

Newbomb

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd put Beasley at 1. Then maybe Frank Sanders, Dravin, and probably E Blake would be thrown in there as well

Add Schmaltz, Tillman, Baker, Weygand and little remembered circus-catch phenom, Jeff Gilligan.

Lawyer Tillman is my all-time favorite. Courtney Taylor has to be in there also, IMO. Weygand. Naturally #88 is at the top of the list. Frank Sanders. Karsten Bailey was a guy I enjoyed watching. Lutz. (not sure if he would fit the criteria for this list) Obumanu and Aromashodu would be on my list also.

1. Terry Beasley - 86 ypg tops everyone, most career TDs

2. Karsten Bailey - 2nd in career yards, 17 TDs

3. Frank Sanders

4. Darvin Adams - clutch

5. Emory Blake

6. Ronney Daniels

7. Courtney Taylor

8. Tyrone Goodson - career yardage leader

9. Ben Obomanu - 18 TDs

10. Lawyer Tillman

3. Frank Sanders

4. Darvin Adams - clutch

5. Emory Blake

6. Ronney Daniels

7. Courtney Taylor

9. Ben Obomanu - 18 TDs

10. Lawyer Tillman

Pretty good list, VT.

3. Frank Sanders

4. Darvin Adams - clutch

5. Emory Blake

6. Ronney Daniels

7. Courtney Taylor

9. Ben Obomanu - 18 TDs

10. Lawyer Tillman

Pretty good list, VT.

This is a very nice list. With Gus at the helm getting the QB position where it needs to be this list should look very different over the next 5 - 8 years. Who do we have now on the team capable with good QB play of being on this list in the near future ? I think Ricardo Lewis has the best shot. He looks to be a Michael Irvin type with better running skills after the catch.

War Eagle !

3. Frank Sanders

4. Darvin Adams - clutch

5. Emory Blake

6. Ronney Daniels

7. Courtney Taylor

9. Ben Obomanu - 18 TDs

10. Lawyer Tillman

Good list. I would probably remove Adams and throw in Wegand or Greg Taylor. Interesting note... Rod Smith is 6th in all time receptions and 8th in yardage. Others to think of are Alex Wright, Thomas Bailey, Willie Gosha, and Byron Franklin.

Tim Carter needs to be mentioned too

Speed guy all the way but Alexander Wright was much better then Tim

AW was one of, if not, the fastest WR we've had.

Tim Carter needs to be mentioned too

Speed guy all the way but Alexander Wright was much better then Tim

AW was one of, if not, the fastest WR we've had.

He was the all time fastest to play WR and I was at the game were he had over 240 yards receiving.

I'd put Beasley at 1. Then maybe Frank Sanders, Dravin, and probably E Blake would be thrown in there as well

Add Schmaltz, Tillman, Baker, Weygand and little remembered circus-catch phenom, Jeff Gilligan.

Ahhhh!!!! How'd I forget Lawyer Tillman??

Once again you guys favor the young. Any list of great Auburn receivers must include Jimmy "Red" Phillips.

Good catch, Red did finish 6th in the Heisman voting in '57 but of course never reached lofty stats because of the offense back then. He did have nearly half the teams receptions that year (15 of 33!) for nearly 24 yards a catch. He was drafted 5th overall in the '58 draft. He had a very good NFL career with 3 Pro Bowls, over 6,000 yards, and 34 TDs. :thumbsup:

3. Frank Sanders

4. Darvin Adams - clutch

5. Emory Blake

6. Ronney Daniels

7. Courtney Taylor

9. Ben Obomanu - 18 TDs

10. Lawyer Tillman

I'd put Jimmy "Red" Phillips and Freddy Wiegand in there somewhere, probably in place of Goodson and Daniels. Other than that, kudos to Valley Tiger. He did all the heavy lifting on that list!

I also would drop Daniels. Seems like Taylor should be a little lower on the list. Gotta have Wiegand. Somebody mentioned Gosha-- not that he should be in the top ten of WRs, but I knew Gosha well while he played, and that guy played hurt so much that he should be in the top ten of the "All Auburn" team.

Once again you guys favor the young. Any list of great Auburn receivers must include Jimmy "Red" Phillips.

My thought exactly. My list would be: 1. Terry Beasley 2. Jimmy (Red) Phillips. A lot of other great receivers come behind them and I wouldn't begin to try to rank them. One note: Phillips is the only Auburn receiver to make three Pro Bowls in a row playing for the SF 49ers.

I also would drop Daniels. Seems like Taylor should be a little lower on the list. Gotta have Wiegand. Somebody mentioned Gosha-- not that he should be in the top ten of WRs, but I knew Gosha well while he played, and that guy played hurt so much that he should be in the top ten of the "All Auburn" team.

Gosha had one big season, but he is tied with Sanders for the most receptions in a season. C. Taylor has the most career receptions of all time.

I saw a newspaper article the other day on Beasley. It said he ran at 4.2 40. I had never seen his forty time. In that time period a 4.2 was unheard of. No wonder Gary Sanders would often say, "If Beasley gets a step you can say 'Good-Bye', because they are not going to catch Terry Beasley."

Terry never ran a 4.2 40 maybe a 4.4. but they never time in the 40 it was always the 100 yds. In person Alex. Wright was the fastest but Terry I will always say was the quickest. There is a difference.

I think its hard to put anyone above Frank Sanders but I will make him and Terry B 1a and 1b although I did not see TB play in person. Darvin has to be number three and then Lawyer at four. Freddie was unique and ran the post better than DHL so make him 5. Courtney, Ben, at 6 and 7 have to be part of the best group ever to be at AU at one time with A mix and Devon. Karsten, Alex at 8 and 9 and then maybe Rod. War damn

Archived