Tucker Tuberville

rws0009

I'd still like to see Tommy as our AD. Glad to see his kid want to go to AU.

Never thought of that, Tubbs would make a great AD! He takes crap from no one!!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Engineer. coming to Auburn. Makes sense IMO.

Don't get the "bad blood" comment. Despite revisionist history on this board, Tubbs & AU parting ways was very much mutual and very much amicable.

I wonder if part of Tommy's severance package was an agreement for a free education for the kids...who is picking up the tab? Just saying. Why would the kid not want to learn from his Dad? Maybe he doesn't like duck hunting and wants to be an offensive minded coach. Sorry for the speculation, just can't wait till Aug 31. Welcome back to the Plains Lil Tubbs. WDE!

I may be wrong on this but I think that if Auburn pays Tucker's tuition in any way, even as part of a settlement with Coach Tuberville, he would count against the 85. Anybody know the ruling on this?

Don't get the "bad blood" comment. Despite revisionist history on this board, Tubbs & AU parting ways was very much mutual and very much amicable.

I wonder if part of Tommy's severance package was an agreement for a free education for the kids...who is picking up the tab? Just saying. Why would the kid not want to learn from his Dad? Maybe he doesn't like duck hunting and wants to be an offensive minded coach. Sorry for the speculation, just can't wait till Aug 31. Welcome back to the Plains Lil Tubbs. WDE!

I may be wrong on this but I think that if Auburn pays Tucker's tuition in any way, even as part of a settlement with Coach Tuberville, he would count against the 85. Anybody know the ruling on this?

I see AU having agreed to pay for children's education as extremely unlikely. Such a small sum would not be worth writing down in the context of 5+ million settlements. About the other, it would depend on whether Tucker was a "recruited athlete" or not. We paid Josh Wallace on an engineering scholarship while he played basketball, but Wallace was not a recruited athlete.

I have no idea if Tucker had athletic scholarship offers or not. He was a walkon at Texas Tech, so he couldn't have had many.

Did anyone ever think that the kid practically grew up in Auburn and probably has many great memories about the school and being on the sidelines etc? My oldest son was friends with some of the coaches kids while Tubbs was there. He knew Tucker but he was younger than his friends but yet they all still played on the sidelines during practice and were at some of the games together. Ton of memories there. So maybe when Tubbs moved along Tucker maybe wanted to go back to a place where he had some great memories and to learn the HUNH. Otherwise he could have stayed where he was to learn the Offense that was at A&M last year....who knows but glad to have him on board. And Welcome Back

+1,ooo -was just about to post on the 'why' when I came across this one. The kid spent 10 of the best years of his life here. Auburn is home.

i think tubbs can handle the tuition.

Welcome to Tucker. You're dad will always be remembered as one the best coaches in AU history.

Proud to have you in an AU uniform.

War Damn Eagle.

CTT has the cash to send his kids to any college they can get into. I'm glad one of them chose to come home to Auburn

An example of someone that left a different history, Petrino has two children attending Louisville, one graduated from Louisville, and one is still at Arkansas while Petrino coaches at WKU.

It would be funny if somehow Tucker ended up with alot of playing time and listen to the TV announcers talk about the past history of CTT and now Tucker playing at the school his Dad got dismissed.

One thing I loved about Coach Tubbs. He was great at coaching 3 stars and turning them into NFL caliber players.

Coach Tubbs can flat out coach! I realize he had distractions before he left, but when he is able to devote his time to the game, not many better.

He will do well at Cincinnati.

I'm just glad to have him and welcome him with open arms. Makes perfect sense for him in that he wants to learning coaching skills (presumably from a QB/offensive POV, and who better than Malzahn, Lashlee, and Craig to learn that from? Might even get some pointers from Cam occasionally!) and is returning to the town he grew up in. Whatever "bad blood" rumors were spread, this certainly points to mutual respect.

I'm just glad to have him and welcome him with open arms. Makes perfect sense for him in that he wants to learning coaching skills (presumably from a QB/offensive POV, and who better than Malzahn, Lashlee, and Craig to learn that from? Might even get some pointers from Cam occasionally!) and is returning to the town he grew up in. Whatever "bad blood" rumors were spread, this certainly points to mutual respect.

if you listen to the radio or a lot of posters here, there was bad blood well before he left. But this move does show mutual respect and class on both sides.

If Tommy is announced at a game, I'm betting that the reception would be overwhelmingly (sp?) positive. I think most fans appreciate what he did for AU....I know I do.

If Tommy is announced at a game, I'm betting that the reception would be overwhelmingly (sp?) positive. I think most fans appreciate what he did for AU....I know I do.

&1000

As do I. It was in the best interest for both Tuberville and AU to divorce in 2008.

wde

The fall after CTT left Auburn, my husband ran into him in the Atlanta airport. Jerry noticed him because he was wearing an Auburn sweater and was carrying Auburn carryon luggage. He was evidently on his way to do some broadcasting. My husband struck up a conversation with him on the train, telling him that we appreciated all he did for Auburn. He was in a talking mood I guess. He said Auburn was a tough, but great place to coach. My husband told him plenty of people were proud of what he had accomplished. He said he was just tired, and that some very powerful people wanted him out (talking in particular about a booster who lost a lot of money in the economic crash). It may have been mutual or he may have been forced out, but I believe he loved his time at Auburn and still has fond memories of his time here. I mean, after all, he was sporting his Auburn gear in public after he left. I am thankful for the Tuberville years at Auburn. :-) I hope Tucker Tuberville has some success and enjoys his time at Auburn too.

If I'm at the game I will definitely give him a standing ovation. What he did in the 04 season and 6 in a row vs the Bammers.

If I'm at the game I will definitely give him a standing ovation. What he did in the 04 season and 6 in a row vs the Bammers.

This^. The '04 season was even more remarkable coming right after Jetgate. But I think Jetgate also showed that there were certain powers-that-be that would never give him the kind of support every HC needs. I kind of find it remarkable that he could have several more decent years after 2004 knowing that some PTB would never fully support him. I think his departure was inevitable after that. I would begin to lose some of my fire and need a break or change under similar circumstances--it would be exhausting to continually worry about being stabbed in the back or having to fight internal snakes in the grass. Not sure I could have even stuck it out as long as he did. (Also think he lost his fire for recruiting when facing the Saban/REC Mafia and no apparent way to legally compete with what they were doing--although Chizik & now Malzahn seemingly managed to recruit well and honestly in the face of the Dark Side, certain turncoats excepted.) But it was definitely time for change, for both AU and ex-CTT, when the divorce finally occurred. Sometimes divorce is the best solution even if both parties still respect each other.

This^. The '04 season was even more remarkable coming right after Jetgate. But I think Jetgate also showed that there were certain powers-that-be that would never give him the kind of support every HC needs. I kind of find it remarkable that he could have several more decent years after 2004 knowing that some PTB would never fully support him. I think his departure was inevitable after that. I would begin to lose some of my fire and need a break or change under similar circumstances--it would be exhausting to continually worry about being stabbed in the back or having to fight internal snakes in the grass. Not sure I could have even stuck it out as long as he did. (Also think he lost his fire for recruiting when facing the Saban/REC Mafia and no apparent way to legally compete with what they were doing--although Chizik & now Malzahn seemingly managed to recruit well and honestly in the face of the Dark Side, certain turncoats excepted.) But it was definitely time for change, for both AU and ex-CTT, when the divorce finally occurred. Sometimes divorce is the best solution even if both parties still respect each other.

I imagine it'd be hard to put on a good face for an institution when you know some of the folks running that institution wanted you out. Power struggles had to make it tough to do your job. In '04 I believe Tubs felt like the had to prove a point; and he damn sure proved it. ;-)

I read an article once (can't find it now, may have read it on here) that said Tubbs wanted to hire Gus back in the day but JJ wouldn't let it happen. So Tubbs went with Franklin instead with JJ approval. Something about Franklin coming alot cheaper then Gus.

Does anyone know if there is any proof to this?

Don't know about the Gus/Franklin thing, but Franklin is a good coach in his own rite. He and Loeffler have in common that they came into a situation where they had little chance to succeed: wrong type of players for the system that they ran, assistant coaches already in place, etc. Neither coach was flexible enough to adapt to the athletes that they had but stuck with their "systems". Borges and Gus could take a group of players, figure out what they can do and design an offense around them.

• 1 month later...

Archived