2014 4* RB Darrel Williams (LSU signee)

im4au

E - how many running backs is the staff looking to sign this year. Thanks.

Not E, but I have seen him state that we are only looking to take one RB this year, but will take two if one of those guys is Roc. Not sure if this changes with DW coming into the picture. Pettway is a GREAT looking RB, and we were ready to call it quits once he committed, but you can't turn down a 5* back like Roc if he wants to play at AU. Probably the same feeling about DW. He looks very talented, and is a very balanced RB. Pettway is our bruiser, Roc or DW would be our all-around back. Personally, in the SEC, I don't think you can have TOO MUCH talent at RB. I hope we sign at least two of Pettway, Roc and DW. I would honestly be okay if we signed all three, but Gus hasn't called me to ask my opinion yet.

Still waiting on Gus to call me about taking 3 RB's this February, but I'll forgive him for going ahead with accepting Roc's committment!! War Damn Eagle!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not E, but I have seen him state that we are only looking to take one RB this year, but will take two if one of those guys is Roc. Not sure if this changes with DW coming into the picture. Pettway is a GREAT looking RB, and we were ready to call it quits once he committed, but you can't turn down a 5* back like Roc if he wants to play at AU. Probably the same feeling about DW. He looks very talented, and is a very balanced RB. Pettway is our bruiser, Roc or DW would be our all-around back. Personally, in the SEC, I don't think you can have TOO MUCH talent at RB. I hope we sign at least two of Pettway, Roc and DW. I would honestly be okay if we signed all three, but Gus hasn't called me to ask my opinion yet.

Still waiting on Gus to call me about taking 3 RB's this February, but I'll forgive him for going ahead with accepting Roc's committment!! War Damn Eagle!

Gus already called me about it and I told him to go ahead and take 3. He said he was going to call you next, so I am a little surprised he hasn't yet.

Gus already called me about it and I told him to go ahead and take 3. He said he was going to call you next, so I am a little surprised he hasn't yet.

:laugh:

I don't care who you are,that is funny! :beer2:

Before Roc committed it was said that one wouldn't affect the other but I'm not sure how true that was. I wouldn't mind signing him as well IYAM. He is talented.

E or someone else in the know: Are we still targeting DW or is this a situation where we are going to move on now that we have Roc on board? TIA

Before Roc committed it was said that one wouldn't affect the other but I'm not sure how true that was. I wouldn't mind signing him as well IYAM. He is talented.

it was made clear by the staff to DW he didn't have an offer even before Roc committed and there was no guarantee of one in the future. They discussed Thomas and Pettway and the possibility of them recruiting Williams as an athlete which DW is comfortable with and has no problem with. If an Auburn offer came Williams would likely commit. His coach is adamant Williams wants to be a part of the HUNH offense and Cam Newton is his favorite player. Right now, it comes down to if Malzahn can afford to take him as part of the 23-25 player recruiting class. Per his coach - the staff told Williams that they would try to make it work with all three. (Kam, Roc, and DW)

E or someone else in the know: Are we still targeting DW or is this a situation where we are going to move on now that we have Roc on board? TIA

it was made clear by the staff to DW he didn't have an offer even before Roc committed and there was no guarantee of one in the future. They discussed Thomas and Pettway and the possibility of them recruiting Williams as an athlete which DW is comfortable with and has no problem with. If an Auburn offer came Williams would likely commit. His coach is adamant Williams wants to be a part of the HUNH offense and Cam Newton is his favorite player. Right now, it comes down to if Malzahn can afford to take him as part of the 23-25 player recruiting class. Per his coach - the staff told Williams that they would try to make it work with all three. (Kam, Roc, and DW)

Thanks - seems like a good kid, who's also a good athlete. We need these type of guys.

Thanks - seems like a good kid, who's also a good athlete. We need these type of guys.

Every single one we can get. He's hungry too!

That sounds pretty fair to me.

Are we done when it comes to getting other running backs? we have commitments from 2 great running backs now.

Word on da skreet says the staff promised RT that we were done at RB for 2014.

Are we done when it comes to getting other running backs? we have commitments from 2 great running backs now.

I believe in our coaches 100% but wonder why recruits have to be promised such. QBs I understand but if his motivation is to be THE guy. Why would you worry about our RB depth? Mainly because you might possibly wanted a chance to go to play for a team that has 8 in the box right now waiting to be THE guy right now. You would think wanting to get an offer from a school that is most likely more loaded at that position than any school in college football UGA being a close second in that dept.

I believe in our coaches 100% but wonder why recruits have to be promised such. QBs I understand but if his motivation is to be THE guy. Why would you worry about our RB depth? Mainly because you might possibly wanted a chance to go to play for a team that has 8 in the box right now waiting to be THE guy right now. You would think wanting to get an offer from a school that is most likely more loaded at that position than any school in college football UGA being a close second in that dept.

It's actually an alpha male trait for many recruits. Depending on the position they want to be THE MAN or THE LEAD DOG in a small pack.

Also I don't believe we need more than 2 backs with where we stand right now. Tre Mason, CAP, Grant, Barber, Ford, Pettaway, Roc and so on

PCB, I agree completely, we are set at RB. I'm not sure that Roc will show-up and be crowned Numero Uno either. Ford and Barber will not play dead and neither will Tre or CAP who should still be around.

WOW! I just realized the stable we are likely to have in 2014 given no one leaves pre-maturely.

PCB, I agree completely, we are set at RB. I'm not sure that Roc will show-up and be crowned Numero Uno either. Ford and Barber will not play dead and neither will Tre or CAP who should still be around.

WOW! I just realized the stable we are likely to have in 2014 given no one leaves pre-maturely.

I think if Tre and CAP have good years this season, they will be gone. I hope they both stay, but they play a brutal sport. I will never fault a college football player from leaving early and getting paid.

I think if Tre and CAP have good years this season, they will be gone. I hope they both stay, but they play a brutal sport. I will never fault a college football player from leaving early and getting paid.

I don't see both leaving after this year FWIW.

I doubt either leaves. CAP has only played JUCO, and Mason has not yet had a stellar season (not entirely his fault, but the fact remains...)

There is a chance we lose one of them if one were to just blow up, I think they both return however. Next year will be a Battle Royale at RB!! I love it!!

This would be very impressive and I would love for this to happen! But I got my hopes up 2 years ago with the possibility of Dyer, Mason, McCalebb, Grant, Blakely, Jovon Robinson, and Yeldon in our 2012 backfield. And we all know how that turned out. So I say all that to say this.... It's a long ways until fall 2014!

I hear ya CamCrazy, I really do. I still believe we have an incredible backfield even if Roc heads elsewhere. We are better with CAP, Mason, Ford, Barber (+Pettway) that we were with Dyer, McCaleb, Grant, Blakely by a long shot IMO. We will see if I am right, but I get your point completely.

Archived