Check this out...

lcau

Meanwhile, Auburn beat Memphis (yawn), Louisiana-Monroe (double yawn) and The Citadel (zzz). You may wonder why a mighty SEC school would schedule the lil' ol' Citadel. Well, last year the Tigers opened with USC and lost 23-0 - at home. That's why.

Great research DUFUS, AUBURN DID NOT PLAY MEMPHIS!!!!!

Any sports writer that would write such inaccurate BS should be fired immediately.

Actually, it might not be that hard at all. On Tuesday, Michigan coach Lloyd Carr was asked how he'll sort out the top three teams on his ballot in the USA Today/ESPN coaches poll.

"What I'm going to do is go back and look at all of the schedules," Carr said on the Big Ten coaches teleconference. "To me, when you have that many teams that are undefeated you really have to look, in my judgment, at the schedules, and who played the most difficult schedule, and who had the games over the best opponents and played very well."

By this statement does he mean which has the best strength of schedule? Or does he mean which team has been the most consistent and has been the best overall team?

Hellsbells anyone in a conference called the BIG 10, which has 11 members probably shouldn't be speaking in public anyway.

Figures theres not an email address or name attached to the article so you can correct the moron...

I don't know anyone in the SEC that thought that OU should have been in the championship game. After OU got their tails handed to them in the BIG 12 CG, I was highly ticked off that USC wasn't playing LSU. I think LSU fans would agree as well, if for nothing else so they wouldn't have to share the National Title. This guy is a Left-Coast homer. I think the heat in AZ has cooked his brain.

And as some of you have pointed out, he has no credibility if he can't do better research on who we played. What a BOOB!

Figures theres not an email address or name attached to the article so you can correct the moron...

123318[/snapback]

There is a link to write a letter to the editor.

I live in Phoenix, and the AZ Republic sportwriters know little about college football. They barely cover Arizona and Arizona State. The only time you hear anything about recruiting is on signing day. There are a lot of Oklahoma, Kansas State, and Nebraska roots here too, and there is a bias toward the Big 12, even over the PAC 10. The Cardinals get 80% of the football coverage-- I think that explains a lot.

BEFORE ANYONE GOES WRITING THE EDITOR:

Think about what you type. Don't go spouting off and giving them more ammunition to perpetuate the whole "stupid southerner" stereotype (see the bubba remark in the article). They would love for some Auburn fan to write in and make a fool of himself.

Go to the bottom of the article and click on "contact staff", then click sports and find the editor email. I wrote him already this morning! I ended with asking how the Arizona teams were doing and if they were Bowl eligible!! I guess I missed that Memphis game also. :no:

The SEC has four of the worst teams in BCS-affiliated conferences - Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Mississippi and Mississippi State. They're a combined 10-30, with losses to Maine, Navy and Rutgers. Kentucky got beat by Ohio.

As opposed to Missouri (4-5), Kansas State (4-6), Kansas (3-7) and Baylor (3-7) OK played all of those except Missouri. They also played mighty HOUSTON, currently 3 - 7. Good Lord Houston even lost to RICE,

If I had to bet, I would think whoever wrote this article was a graduate of OKLAHOMA.

Auburn may end up in the BCS title game but it doesn't deserve a berth simply because it dominated a mediocre conference.

That mediocre conference is the best from top to bottom anywhere. Year in and year out, the SEC is tops. What was the score of last year's Oklahoma - LSU game?

There are both an address for corrections and an online feedback forum where you can contact the "news"paper. Here is the text of my reply to them:

In yesterday's article titled "Auburn's schedule doesn't merit BCS title-game shot", author not listed, some of the facts were incorrect. In addition, the article asks questions, in a derogatory manner, that could easily be answered with a few minutes research.

First, "Auburn beat Memphis (yawn)". WRONG, Auburn did not play Memphis; a 30-second look at the schedule would have shown that.

Second, The Citadel (zzz). "You may wonder why a mighty SEC school would schedule the lil' ol' Citadel. Well, last year the Tigers opened with USC and lost 23-0 - at home. That's why."

WRONG AGAIN! Auburn scheduled The Citadel ONLY as a last minute replacement for Bowling Green, who used a buy-out clause in their contract to take a game with guess who.... Oklahoma!!

In addition, Auburn had scheduled Georgia Tech this year but Georgia Tech opted out of the agreement, leaving Auburn to search for a replacement. That replacement was either Louisiana Monroe, or Louisiana Tech.

Third, "The SEC has four of the worst teams in BCS-affiliated conferences - Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Mississippi and Mississippi State. They're a combined 10-30, with losses to Maine, Navy and Rutgers. Kentucky got beat by Ohio." This is technically correct, BUT does not tell the whole story. The Big 12 has some dogs too, Baylor was beaten..... no destroyed by UAB one of the Sun Belt Conference teams here in SEC country. Missouri was beaten by Troy another small conference school here in SEC country. Nebraska was beaten by Southern Mississippi. Mighty Texas escaped with a two point win over 4 - 2 in the SEC Arkansas. The FACT is there are 4 SEC teams in the top 15 and there are two Big 12 teams in the top 15. Reporting only one side of an issue is called BIAS.

I have no qualms about USC being in the BCS title game; they have a strong offense and great defense. Auburn and USC had a great two game series with a pretty close game in LA in 2002 and a not-so-close game in Auburn in 2003. But this team is NOT the 2003 team for Auburn. I do, however believe that Oklahoma does not belong in the BCS title game, due to their lack of defense. Sure, they have a great offense, but the cliche, "good offenses sell tickets, good defenses win championships" has a lot of truth to it.

Auburn has beaten three teams that are currently ranked in the top 15, and two of those were games where Auburn dominated...... yes, dominated..... 31 - 3 at halftime against Tennessee and 24 - 0 with three minutes to go against Georgia. Auburn's only close game this year was against defending national champion, LSU. Through 10 games, Auburn's defense has given up 93 points total; they lead the nation in scoring defense. What the stats do not tell you is that all but 26 of those points were given up AFTER Auburn had a 20+ point lead and the outcome of the game was decided.

Next time, please have your author check his facts before writing such an article, or put him/her to writing gossip columns where facts are not an issue.

There are both an address for corrections and an online feedback forum where you can contact the "news"paper.  Here is the text of my reply to them:

In yesterday's article titled "Auburn's schedule doesn't merit BCS title-game shot", author not listed, some of the facts were incorrect.  In addition, the article asks questions, in a derogatory manner, that could easily be answered with a few minutes research. 

First, "Auburn beat Memphis (yawn)".  WRONG, Auburn did not play Memphis; a 30-second look at the schedule would have shown that. 

Second, The Citadel (zzz). "You may wonder why a mighty SEC school would schedule the lil' ol' Citadel. Well, last year the Tigers opened with USC and lost 23-0 - at home. That's why."

WRONG AGAIN!  Auburn scheduled The Citadel ONLY as a last minute replacement for Bowling Green, who used a buy-out clause in their contract to take a game with guess who.... Oklahoma!! 

In addition, Auburn had scheduled Georgia Tech this year but Georgia Tech opted out of the agreement, leaving Auburn to search for a replacement.  That replacement was either Louisiana Monroe, or Louisiana Tech. 

Third, "The SEC has four of the worst teams in BCS-affiliated conferences - Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Mississippi and Mississippi State. They're a combined 10-30, with losses to Maine, Navy and Rutgers. Kentucky got beat by Ohio."  This is technically correct, BUT does not tell the whole story.  The Big 12 has some dogs too, Baylor was beaten..... no destroyed by UAB one of the Sun Belt Conference teams here in SEC country.  Missouri was beaten by Troy another small conference school here in SEC country.  Nebraska was beaten by Southern Mississippi.  Mighty Texas escaped with a two point win over 4 - 2 in the SEC Arkansas.  The FACT is there are 4 SEC teams in the top 15 and there are two Big 12 teams in the top 15.  Reporting only one side of an issue is called BIAS. 

I have no qualms about USC being in the BCS title game; they have a strong offense and great defense.  Auburn and USC had a great two game series with a pretty close game in LA in 2002 and a not-so-close game in Auburn in 2003.  But this team is NOT the 2003 team for Auburn.  I do, however believe that Oklahoma does not belong in the BCS title game, due to their lack of defense.  Sure, they have a great offense, but the cliche, "good offenses sell tickets, good defenses win championships" has a lot of truth to it. 

Auburn has beaten three teams that are currently ranked in the top 15, and two of those were games where Auburn dominated...... yes, dominated.....  31 - 3 at halftime against Tennessee and 24 - 0 with three minutes to go against Georgia.  Auburn's only close game this year was against defending national champion, LSU.  Through 10 games, Auburn's defense has given up 93 points total; they lead the nation in scoring defense.  What the stats do not tell you is that all but 26 of those points were given up AFTER Auburn had a 20+ point lead and the outcome of the game was decided. 

Next time, please have your author check his facts before writing such an article, or put him/her to writing gossip columns where facts are not an issue.

123354[/snapback]

good response but arkansas is 2-4 in the SEC not 4-2.

Archived