How Bama honors 9/11

RunInRed

Everyone who has a twitter, please 1) retweet AUFamily's tweet about this and 2) Tweet it yourself. This isn't about making Bama look bad, its about making sure that this gets taken down and something respectful gets put up. They need to get the message that this is NOT okay and that the world is bigger than football.

Other SEC schools who don't have ANYTHING about 9/11 on their athletics FB page:

Ole Miss

Miss State

Mizzou

UGA

Florida

Texas A&M

Make sure you tweet them too. All those schools must hate America.

You're an Auburn fan pretending to be an Alabama fan to make them look bad, right?

Celebrating the birthday of any coach is absurd. If the birthday of someone you never knew who never had a meaningful impact on the betterment of your life is important to you, then you have problems and should examine your priorities.

Explain to me how Bear Bryant saved you from your sins, or inacted legislation preserving human rights, or had a personal relationship with you and I'll shut up forever about it. You people are insane.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're an Auburn fan pretending to be an Alabama fan to make them look bad, right?

Celebrating the birthday of any coach is absurd. If the birthday of someone you never knew who never had a meaningful impact on the betterment of your life is important to you, then you have problems and should examine your priorities.

I'm just waiting for you guys to do the same smear campaign for all the other schools who didn't mention 9/11 on their ATHLETICS FACEBOOK PAGE.

I'm saying I wouldn't plaster it all over social media and say that people should set their profile pictures to a hat. I'm sure that we can agree on one thing- the world, life in general for that matter, is bigger than football. Are you suggesting that the birth of a football coach is more important than remembering the nearly 46,857 people who died in the 9/11 attacks? Because it kinda sounds like you are. I would be as pissed about this if it was done by UT, UA, AU, or any other school for that matter. There is a time and a place for everything, and now is not the time for that.

This is absurd. Patently absurd. These are ATHLETICS social media pages. Probably run by some teenager or a student. Just because 9/11 isn't mentioned on the athletics social media page doesn't mean people are elevating anything above 9/11 or disrespecting the lives lost.

So this couldn't have been posted ONE DAY later? They can't set aside ONE DAY to get over themselves and think for JUST ONE SECOND about this TRAGEDY that affected HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of people's lives???????? The fact that you DON'T see anything wrong with it is also CRAZY to me! I don't care if it's run by a teenager or a student, I'm both a teenager AND a student, that means that I WAS ALIVE FOR THIS. I REMEMBER it happening. ITS COMMON SENSE NOT TO POST SOMETHING LIKE THAT.

You would think that the guy cured cancer or something.

BTW-46 thousand people died on 9/11? I never heard that the number was so high.

Everyone who has a twitter, please 1) retweet AUFamily's tweet about this and 2) Tweet it yourself. This isn't about making Bama look bad, its about making sure that this gets taken down and something respectful gets put up. They need to get the message that this is NOT okay and that the world is bigger than football.

Other SEC schools who don't have ANYTHING about 9/11 on their athletics FB page:

Ole Miss

Miss State

Mizzou

UGA

Florida

Texas A&M

Make sure you tweet them too. All those schools must hate America.

They also aren't posting stuff like "we are asking all Alabama football fans to change their profile pictures to this image on September 11th." (Taken from the facebook post btw). Today is a day to remember a tragedy that happened, not celebrate a football coach. I don't care how good he was. I don't care if he pooped rainbows and created the damn game. That is unbelievably disrespectful!

^^ Great post^^ only one problem; CANT HAVE LOGICAL CONVERSATIONS WITH BAMMERS!!

I'm saying I wouldn't plaster it all over social media and say that people should set their profile pictures to a hat. I'm sure that we can agree on one thing- the world, life in general for that matter, is bigger than football. Are you suggesting that the birth of a football coach is more important than remembering the nearly 46,857 people who died in the 9/11 attacks? Because it kinda sounds like you are. I would be as pissed about this if it was done by UT, UA, AU, or any other school for that matter. There is a time and a place for everything, and now is not the time for that.

This is absurd. Patently absurd. These are ATHLETICS social media pages. Probably run by some teenager or a student. Just because 9/11 isn't mentioned on the athletics social media page doesn't mean people are elevating anything above 9/11 or disrespecting the lives lost.

Where's your houndstooth hat?

I'm just waiting for you guys to do the same smear campaign for all the other schools who didn't mention 9/11 on their ATHLETICS FACEBOOK PAGE.

Twist much?

It's got not a damn thing to do with what others don't do, but what someone IS doing.

Get it?

You don't get it, do you? It's not that Bama didn't put something about 9/11 on their page, it's the SELF CENTERED post that they did put on their page that enrages me! Basically to me they're saying "Yeah, blah de blah, 50,000 people died in an attack on the US 12 years ago, caused us to go into a decade of war, and has affected hundreds of thousands of lives, what ever, BUT LOOK! One of our coaches was born 100 years ago today! Please make the picture that accompanies your profile all about us today, because we're the only thing that matters!"

9/11 Victims (@WeWonttForgett):

Can we get 46,867 RETWEETS to remember ALL of the 46,867 soldiers, firefighters, and civilians who died of 9/11-related causes.

Nick must be starting to loose control......

9/11 Victims (@WeWonttForgett):

Can we get 46,867 RETWEETS to remember ALL of the 46,867 soldiers, firefighters, and civilians who died of 9/11-related causes.

He said "in the 9/11 attacks." That's what I was confused about. Even still, have we lost that many soldiers in Iraq/Afghanistan etc?

For the record, there's no mention of 9/11 on the New York Times font page either.

http://www.nytimes.c...aper/index.html

You are using the NEW YORK TIMES as your example???? LMAO!!! You MUST be a bammer!! And if Auburn folks did want to honor Shug Jordan's birthday at least HE could point to SIGNIFICANT accomplishments such as defending his country and surviving D-Day. What is PATENTLY ABSURD is the bammer worship of this man who did nothing more than win some games and drink a lot.

Here's an analogy: all of the sec mascots are hanging out, doing their own thing, when the national anthem starts playing. Everyone stops- some mascots start singing, some stay quiet but Al the Elephant starts waving a shaker and singing Bamas fight song. Would that be okay to you??

The thing is, I don't mind if they commemorate his birthday. And they can't help he was born on this particular day. And if it were any other fan base in the country it probably wouldn't be a big deal. But I am quite sure if it were say, the Green Bay Packers with Lombardi they would find a way to remember their coach and commemorate 9/11 in a classy way. With the bammer fan base already bordering on idol worship of this guy it just comes off as arrogant and inappropriate.

Did those other schools ask fans to change their profile pic to something related to he football program. Doubt it.

Hey guys, its the anniversary of Bo Jackson's first game at Auburn. Show your Auburn pride by changing your profile picture to your favorite picture of Bo!

Said (or thought by) no Auburn fan ever.

I guess the thing I can understand people getting angry over is putting it on the front page. Question is, would people be as angry if it covered the font page?

Oh, and the SEC Championship is played on December 7 this year. If Bama wins the west will y'all complain that they're disrespecting Pearl Harbor?

Wow, just wow ...

From the Official Alabama Athletics Facebook Page ...

September 11, 2013 marks the centennial of the birth of legendary football coach Paul W. “Bear” Bryant. To celebrate Coach Bryant's life and legacy, we are asking all Alabama football fans to change their profile pictures to this image on September 11th. Save this photo to your computer (see http://on.fb.me/14xwX6V), then upload it as a new profile picture (see http://on.fb.me/1cPyomw) then Learn more about the Centennial Celebration at bryant100.com.

1240231_10151874100592209_106376785_n.jpg

https://www.facebook...48242208&type=1

Screen shot ...

Surely this doesn't come as a surprise to anyone...

Archived