How Bama honors 9/11

RunInRed

I guess the thing I can understand people getting angry over is putting it on the front page. Question is, would people be as angry if it covered the font page?

Oh, and the SEC Championship is played on December 7 this year. If Bama wins the west will y'all complain that they're disrespecting Pearl Harbor?

If they lose, their coach is liable to compare it to Pearl Harbor. It wouldn't be the first time saban has compared losing a football game to Pearl Harbor.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's an analogy: all of the sec mascots are hanging out, doing their own thing, when the national anthem starts playing. Everyone stops- some mascots start singing, some stay quiet but Al the Elephant starts waving a shaker and singing Bamas fight song. Would that be okay to you??

Great analogy! Might still be over his head...

I guess the thing I can understand people getting angry over is putting it on the front page. Question is, would people be as angry if it covered the font page?

Oh, and the SEC Championship is played on December 7 this year. If Bama wins the west will y'all complain that they're disrespecting Pearl Harbor?

If they lose, their coach is liable to compare it to Pearl Harbor. It wouldn't be the first time saban has compared losing a football game to Pearl Harbor.

Had to look it up; Sabear also references the 9/11 attacks (warning, it's a BSPN link): http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3120600

Had to look it up; Sabear also references the 9/11 attacks (warning, it's a BSPN link): http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3120600

I don't have a problem with them mentioning Bear Bryant's 100th birthday or whatever but to completely ignore the fact that the biggest terrorist attack in our history is being remembered by the rest of the nation is exactly what I expect from bammers. Ridiculous. Also ridiculous that over 3k people "liked" it in the picture shown on page 1. I do appreciate the comments that I can see in the pic though.

Screw it, drum roll please, at least it isn't houndstooth... :poke:

I keep telling folks the guy rarely wore that stuff, but getting these folks to listen is like, well, pulling houndstooth.

:au:/>

^Voice of Reason^

I can vouch for this. Back in the day, I watched the Bear Bryant show along with my dad. It was a plaid patterned hat he wore on the sidelines. Not only that, he would often wear some of the most hideous looking sportscoats too, like ... on purpose. Even used car salesmen wouldn't wear some of the coats the Bear wore. But I don't blame him for not having fashion sense -- the guy grew up dirt poor in the middle of Bumf*kEgypt, Arkansas, without electricity for God's sake. What's inexplicable today is the idiotic fan base that continues to emulate a fashion-unconscious Arkansas rube who's been gone for 3 decades. WTF?

I consider myself reasonably patriotic, but I'm not spending today thinking about 9/11. It's not a national holiday, it was twelve years ago, and... I haven't moved on, but I'm not locked into it either.

Bama can do hat pictures all they want.

As much as I hate backing up a Bammer, it's not a big deal that Bama did this. The most famous coach in college football history, who happened to be at Bama, would have turned 100 today. They don't do this every year. It's a special occassion. It's not like Bear had the foresight to know what 9/11 would turn into and then chose to be born that day out of spite. Nor is it impossible for Bama fans to celebrate their coach and take time to mourn for a national tragedy on the same day.

Plus, at the very end of the day, it's a freaking profile picture. Who really gives a damn?! Grow up, stop being so sensitive, and let's start worrying about MSU this week.

War Eagle and God Bless the USA!

It doesn't seem like a big deal to me, in fact I agree with DyeCamp. I think it would do the country good to not dwell on it so much, as that is a little win for the horrible people who attacked us to have their actions constantly remembered.

That being said, this is a prime and very bold example of how wrapped up the bama nation is in themselves, to the point of being totally oblivious to what is going on in the rest of the world.

I keep telling folks the guy rarely wore that stuff, but getting these folks to listen is like, well, pulling houndstooth.

^Voice of Reason^

I can vouch for this. Back in the day, I watched the Bear Bryant show along with my dad. It was a plaid patterned hat he wore on the sidelines. Not only that, he would often wear some of the most hideous looking sportscoats too, like ... on purpose. Even used car salesmen wouldn't wear some of the coats the Bear wore. But I don't blame him for not having fashion sense -- the guy grew up dirt poor in the middle of Bumf*kEgypt, Arkansas, without electricity for God's sake. What's inexplicable today is the idiotic fan base that continues to emulate a fashion-unconscious Arkansas rube who's been gone for 3 decades. WTF?

I guess T-Town Menswear wasn't around then????

Gumps...They just can't help themselves................

So you're saying that if Shug would have turned 100 on the anniversary of 9/11, you guys wouldn't honor him?

Nonsense.

When is Shug's birthday? I don't even have a clue! Never thought to look it up. There you go bammer.

^Voice of Reason^

I guess T-Town Menswear wasn't around then????

Hah! Apparently not. I have to give it up to the owner, Tom Abetir (sp?) for having the marketing savvy to recognize a target rich environment, though. Genius.

I can not think of any fan base that deifies a former coach like the bammers do. It will be interesting to see if Penn St treats JoePa the same as time passes by, but I doubt they will.

If anyone has ever wondered why the major Alabama newspapers are down to part-time this totally clueless exhibition today should clear up any questions. These guys all deserve to be out of business and there is no way any of those papers can be considered as serious journalism. The sooner they are all gone the better IMO.

If anyone has ever wondered why the major Alabama newspapers are down to part-time this totally clueless exhibition today should clear up any questions. These guys all deserve to be out of business and there is no way any of those papers can be considered as serious journalism. The sooner they are all gone the better IMO.

You know 64, I remember when we had two papers in B'ham, the Post- Herald and the News. They used to be credible papers. Of course the Post-Herald is long gone and only the News survives today but it is on it's way out also. Sad to see for me personally but it's a sign of the times. Today's front page is a prime example of why they are fixing to go south and they do deserve it. bama football is all they care about and I think bama football just got a black eye today with the Fluker payments as all the news outlets are running the story. I haven't seen anything on BSPN but I am sure they will down play it much as they can. Maybe this will be the straw, one can only hope. WDE!!!

You know 64, I remember when we had two papers in B'ham, the Post- Herald and the News. They used to be credible papers. Of course the Post-Herald is long gone and only the News survives today but it is on it's way out also. Sad to see for me personally but it's a sign of the times. Today's front page is a prime example of why they are fixing to go south and they do deserve it. bama football is all they care about and I think bama football just got a black eye today with the Fluker payments as all the news outlets are running the story. I haven't seen anything on BSPN but I am sure they will down play it much as they can. Maybe this will be the straw, one can only hope. WDE!!!

I understand Slammer... I delivered the Mobile Press and the Mobile Register back in the 1950s when the newspaper was where people went for serious news. The times have changed and now their primary function is distribute coupons...essentially wrapping a little non-time critical news around their advertising copy. It's all about marketing I guess and it is likely that the three publishers printed extra copies for the expected increase in demand today.

Guest jojo1515

I've always supported bamagrad being on this site until now. By defending this, he feels it is ok to make da bear more important than the 9-11 victims. This in itself is worse than anything I have seen on this site. An MSU fan got booted the other day for much less. Its time for bamagrad to go...I will never respect anything he has to say on here ever again.

I've always supported bamagrad being on this site until now. By defending this, he feels it is ok to make da bear more important than the 9-11 victims. This in itself is worse than anything I have seen on this site. An MSU fan got booted the other day for much less. Its time for bamagrad to go...I will never respect anything he has to say on here ever again.

You can forget him getting the boot. If anything they'll increase his security due to fear of backlash from his complete idiocy on this thread. Lol.

I've been coming here for 10+ years. He is like herpes. He will never leave.

Been thinking about this issue and am having a change of heart. I mean, just about any Bama fan you meet can tell you the exact moment...where he was when he learned the Bear was dead...though for some of them it was when they were at their local Walmart talking to another Bama fan ...maybe as recently as last week.

And as for the poster who suggested that the attack on New York was 12 years ago when he was a kid....and it's time to move on.....I might remind him that the Bear died 30 years ago and some of the most rabid bammers never saw him coach a game....so maybe they could 'let it go' too...but don't count on it.

Archived