Al Borges as a Recruiter

auman64

I have heard enough whining about the polls. On to a different topic. I think most people agree that Al Borges is a great offensive coordinator. It appears, IMO, that he finally landed a job where he had talent to coach. He has done a terrific job coaching. Just curious, how do you guys think he is as a recruiter? A recognizer of the RIGHT talent to sign. He obviously didn't do all that well at UCLA, (despite McNown) or at Indiana. Was it because, for whatever reason, the school he was at couldn't attract the players he wanted, or was it because he recruited the wrong players? Just curious on everyone's opinion on how he will be at evaluating the proper talent for his system. Example, Ronnie Brown wasn't that highly recruited but someone at AU saw his ability to be a big player. Will Borges have this insight to recruit these type sleepers, or is he really a coach who can merely coach the talent, IF the talent is present?

Well, IMO, recruiting is a team thing. Just like winning games. No one man is responsible for haulin in the recruits. Tommy T is a good recruiter. Our team has always brought in quality talent.

In one way, Coach Borges will be one of the best recruiters we have. He has produced a great offense that recruits want to be a part of. I'm sure QB's everywhere have seen the stories on his developement of Campbell into a nationally known name.

We are probably losing our best recruiter this year... we will miss you Junior Rosegreen.

we have a recruiting coordinator (dunno who currently holds the title). i imagine the talent evaluation will continue to be conducted as a group first and individually second (if a guy really, really wants a certain player which has happened before). i suppose we'll find out how he is soon enough.

If I remember correctly Borges is one of a few asst. coaches in the conference with a 2 year contract. He'll be around for ATLEAST another year.

i've listened to him speak on offensive football on the radio and he has an infectious way of speaking and holding your attention....plus, he is humorous and very well spoken.....he should be a valuable asset on the recruiting trail

Don't forget how he has handled the 2 star running backs, that should help too. And that he throws the ball to them, they will see that he will help develop them in to NFL caliber players...

I don't know how he'll recruit...but I would think he'd be a VERY positive influence on recruiting on the offensive side of the ball by anyone who's recruiting for the offense.

And just one other point...didn't they win something like 20 in a row when he was OC at UCLA???? :blink:

If you check the recruiting boards, you will see that AUBURN is very high on the list for some great HS football players, both offensive and defensive. I have heard Coach Borges speak several times and I have watched him coach 11 games/ IMHO if he recruits as well as he speaks and COACHES, he should be great!

:big:

Archived