No Bowling for USC/Clemson

CarolinaTiger

that fight cost those schools millions of dollars!

Ouch!!

the sec will have, what 6 schools in bowl games instead of 7.?

not bad. lol

just read that both Clemson & USC won't accept bowl bids due to their fracas this past weekend.

kudos to the admins for making a gutsty & well-deserved call, IMO.

ct

125412[/snapback]

Link????

I just heard that South Carolina will NOT be accepting any bowl bids due to their brawl with Clemson on Saturday. I feel Clemson should do the same. It's one thing to detest your rival - another to actually try to do something about it. I applaud Coach Holtz for this difficult decision. People need to learn to take responsibility for their actions. It is NOT ok to fight. No matter who or what provokes it. This unaceptable behavior takes away from the game. The players on the field should be above all that.

I just heard that South Carolina will NOT be accepting any bowl bids due to their brawl  with Clemson on Saturday. I feel Clemson should do the same.  It's one thing to detest your rival - another to actually try to do something about it.  I applaud Coach Holtz for this difficult decision.  People need to learn to take responsibility for their actions.  It is NOT ok to fight.  No matter who or what provokes it.  This unaceptable behavior takes away from the game. The players on the field should be above all that.

125422[/snapback]

This is all over the net and probably true but is there a link?

Bo thanks for the links but the first one says SC will make a decison and the AJ link requires registration. Does the AJC confirm that both will not go to a bowl?

I am watching Live 5 News - Charleston, SC. "Neither Carolina nor Clemson will be going to a bowl game this year". Carolina announced less than an hour ago. Clemson is expected to announce at 6:00. This channel is the CBS affiliate.

Both of them say that the SEC and USC/Clemson officials are considering it and was supposed to have announced a decision by now. Finebaum is reporting that they are not going bowling.

that fight cost those schools millions of dollars!

Ouch!!

the sec will have, what 6 schools in bowl games instead of 7.?

not bad. lol

125417[/snapback]

Actually, it won't cost them anymore than everybody else unless the SEC/ACC decide it does.

The conferences pool all the money from the bowl games and distribute it equally. So it will cost each school some money because there will be less to distribute. The only way that it will cost them money is if the SEC decides to give the schools what they would have gotten and USC whats left. But I don't think they can do this with all the contracts that are signed and everything.

sorry about not posting a link.

i had to leave the office right after posting that.

this is very interesting, and the right call, IMO.

how many bowl-eligible teams does the SEC have?

i actually think this relieves some pressure in the ACC as far as bowl-eligible teams go.

If Arkansas loses to LSU, the SEC would only be able to fill 6 of its 8 bowl slots...either the Music City or the Independence would be opened up to another conference.

The ACC has their bowl conundrum solved...6 slots, 6 available teams now that Clemson has recused itself.

:D i was at that game and it was awful. the coots started it before the game even got under way. a group of them were in the endzone in the way of the tigers running down the hill. we knew then it was going to be a heated game but i never imagined it would be like it was. clemson played so good and with only 5 minutes and some odd seconds left all heck broke loose. really a sad day for both teams. my husband (he's the clemson fan) and i were so looking forward to clemson going to a bowl. things like that just make me all the more proud of our au tigers and the class of our team. it's great to be an auburn tiger!!!!

Did anyone else hear clemson's coach say that the fight happened because of all the players watching fights break out in pro sports? He ought to just say that he doesn't have control over his team. It seems like if you know your players have been watching fights break out, you would tell them in the locker room to not do anything dumb out there on the field. Atleast Lou Holtz didn't make excuses. I'm glad to see that the teams won't be playing in any bowl games this year.(because of the fight)

Gutsy action by the administrations of both schools. Maybe it will also start a trend for schools to be held more responsible for their players actions, at least in the court of public opinion. [but I won't hold my breath]

So thanks to these players, who loses:

1) Well, themselves, of course, but they're just getting what they deserve so I don't feel sorry for them. I do feel sorry for any of their teammates that did not take part in the "riots" and chose instead to act like responsible adults, and am also sorry for mature fans of both schools.

2) Lou Holtz, an icon of college football (8th winning coach of all time I read somewhere the other day), concludes a legendary career with this embarrassing endnote.

3) These schools--as well as all other SEC schools (I don't know how the ACC handles bowl money)--who lose bowl revenue.

4) Steve Spurrier, who takes over a team with this black-eye and a month's less practice during December (Well, okay, I'm don't mind if Spurrier loses anything :rolleyes: ]

4) The image of college football in general...

On the other hand, Bama might get a better bowl now...so I guess we lose in that respect, too. <_<

i just watched part of spurrier's press conference... it is so great to have him back in the sec. he is absolutely hysterical. great coach, good family guy, great exposure for the league, improved competition that some say (i disagree) was slipping. there's just no downside to having darth visor back. i look forward to watching the fun-n-gun again. any word on who he's thinkin bout for coordinators (special teams and defensive)? i think he should consider the guy that already there at DC. i don't know who it is, but they weren't half bad. couple that defense with a spurrier offense and you may have something.

Archived