Co-National Champs???

Eagle's Claw

Obviously STILL a big IF....

BUT, this would TOTALLY SUCK if for 2 yrs. in a row we have a Co-Champion...

I mean talking about a system that really spoils the very best of college football. In my opionion this is really dissapointing and the presidents in charge of making rule changes should have already ammended the ever present problems with the system of bowls....

Can someone chime in to go into further detail why there isn't a mini playoff system yet??? Obviously VERY frustrating to see Auburn run the table so far and not get a chance to play for the NC!!! Regardless, if the 3rd team out wins out then this season will not have ended with a conclusive champion...

And that is a travesty.... as a fan and as an Auburn Man.

WDE

The presidents and those who run the BCS have made it painfully obvious that they are not concerened with what is best for the sport...merely what system best preserves their current cash cow.

I thought that they made it so the voters in the polls would have to vote for the winner of the BCS championship game? Or something like that.

One thing you can hang your hat on, that is unless you are on the wrong end of this, is that all of these BCS schools agreed IN ADVANCE to the BCS process. This is what hollows USC' "championship" as far as I am concerned. They agreed to the BCS process last year long before the first kickoff of the season. Isn't it a bit disingenuous to claim to be national champs because someone not a party to the BCS system bestows that designation upon you? Let's face it, Playboy could rank Utah or Boise St. #1 this year. Does that make them a co-champion? You live by the rules you create. You don't like them, you work within the system to change the rules. Believe me, if the roles had been reversed last year, the So.Cal. media would have hammered this fact home ad nauseum. Unfortunately for USC, they were left out of the BCS Championship last year. I hope that doesn't happen to Auburn, but to this LSU fan, I know who was champ last year. :lsu: (Yeah, yeah, I am biased.) Good luck, guys! :thumbsup:

There is an obscene amount of cash made on the BCS bowl system. For there ever to be a possibility of a playoff system where a true single national champion is left standing...someone will have to draft out a plan wherethose who make obscene amounts now will continue to do so after the changeover, if not even more money. That is politics, that is reality.

The money can be the same for the bowl series with some type of playoff. Some will say that the season is the playoffs. Well hell no they aren't. When you have three schools undefeated during the regular season, and only two of those schools have a chance to play in the NC game, then the third school might as well not tried.

Someone came up with the BCS plus 1, which would have taken the two highest ranked teams after the bowls, and then had a one game playoff. So simple, but the CFA Presidents voted it down. Now just imagine how much money could be made from that one single game. It would make more than the Final Four, and rival the Super Bowl. The BCS sucks. I said that before this year, so this year it REALLY SUCKS.

It doesn't mean sqaut about agreeing on the BCS. Its still an opinion poll and everybody has one. Until a playoff, there will be others who will disagree and vote whom they think is the best team No. 1. A playoff will be the only way this is ever settled. BCS Money cannot buy our opinions.

126594[/snapback]

Ummm, I think the Auburn community would be overjoyed with a split championship seeing we won't be at the Orange Bowl

126594[/snapback]

Ummm, I think the Auburn community would be overjoyed with a split championship seeing we won't be at the Orange Bowl

126710[/snapback]

Both the coaches and the AP has USC and OU ranked ahead of AU. I don't see how it would be a co-championship. Which ever team wins the Orange Bowl will be the AP, coaches and BCS champs. Last year USC was the AP #1 before the BCS game, that's why the split.

I think AU will get the points in both the AP and Coaches after the SECCG, but I'm afraid the computers will still screw AU.

One question. Did AU have a chance for a bidding war when BG pulled out, or did they not give AU a chance to match OU's money offer?

Sidenote- ESPN held an online poll to see who America wanted in the BCS game and 48% voted AU/USC. Looks like everyone wants it besides the people that count. :(

I think that without controversy, college football would not be what it is today. Where would the rivalry come from? Payback? Bragging? Fan upheavals? That's one of the main reasons I hate the BCS and I hate the playoff idea. It's just not right. College football needs the controversy, it's one of the things that keeps CF unique from all other sports.

That's crap. I don't see having a playoff system hurting college basketball any. Hell, March Madness pulls people in who don't even watch much b'ball during the year and spawns office pools out the wazoo.

We need to have a better system. Either a playoff or a "plus one" bowl game to settle things.

Archived