Auburn vs Mississippi

Listened to most of it. Brutal to lose that way. Losing a 13 inning game sucks. Both teams had their chances but we had a few more and didn't get it done. You could feel the ebb and flow of the focus and momentum. Crazy.

Add in the drama that the umpire sounded like. Sounded as though the ump made questionable calls both ways. Inconsistent strike zone both ways. Then add in a few crazy crazy plays ... Was the batter hit, did the batter foul tip, throw out at home, we have a player sick on the field and refused to take himself out (Galloway stated this after the game), a pickoff at first ... And I think there were more.

There were enough crazy plays in this game that would have made a series dramatic much less a 13 inning Friday night game.

Hated to lose that way. If these kids are tough enough, these are the kind of games they will look back on as what set their foundation of success moving forward. You gotta give the kids credit for fighting till the end but they made mistakes along the way.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is not very good baserunning team. Has cost some games for sure. Wish they would try a more conservative approach on the basepaths for a few games.

I really like being aggressive, especially with the way they have toned down the bats. That being said, you have to pick and chose the times to try something. It seems every time we get people on, we try and "make something happen" in some form or fashion. Every team we play is waiting for it. There is no trickeration whatsoever. Oh well, maybe we can find a way to get a W today.

I was at the game. The ump was very consistent. He called a good game, no complaints. He said that our batter struck out and the ball hit his leg before bouncing away allowing our potential go ahead run to score. It's possible but I did not know that rule, or if it matters whether the pitched ball hits the ground first before hitting the batters leg or if it hits him in the air. Why is he swinging at a ball that hits him anyway?

We definitely had their batter foul tip a ball that got away and allowed their runners to advance.

We tried a suicide squeeze and the batter failed to make contact with the ball.

We had a pinch runner picked off. You could see it getting ready to happen. Very poor base running.

Outfield let two balls get away that cost us. RF had a ball hit him In the glove with a DP pending in the bottom 8 that would have changed everything. Then CF tried a dive catch with man on first and let it get by. Good effort no complaints from me. Also a DP if he makes the catch.

Homer on intentional walk? Unbelievable. Pathetic. Why did the OM batter get ready to swing? Answer: because when we imtentionally walked the same guy earlier, the same pitcher actually threw a strike on the first pitch but it surprised everybody including the ump. It was borderline high at the letters but right down the middle. That is why he knew it was coming later.

The pitcher threw 4 pitches on 0-2 or 1-2 counts to their hitters and they jacked them. Why are we doing that? Who is calling pitches? We teach the ten year olds NOT to throw a strike at 0-2 or 1-2. It's an unforgivable sin to throw a fat pitch with those counts.

I was at the game. The ump was very consistent. He called a good game, no complaints. He said that our batter struck out and the ball hit his leg before bouncing away allowing our potential go ahead run to score. It's possible but I did not know that rule, or if it matters whether the pitched ball hits the ground first before hitting the batters leg or if it hits him in the air. Why is he swinging at a ball that hits him anyway?

We definitely had their batter foul tip a ball that got away and allowed their runners to advance.

We tried a suicide squeeze and the batter failed to make contact with the ball.

We had a pinch runner picked off. You could see it getting ready to happen. Very poor base running.

Outfield let two balls get away that cost us. RF had a ball hit him In the glove with a DP pending in the bottom 8 that would have changed everything. Then CF tried a dive catch with man on first and let it get by. Good effort no complaints from me. Also a DP if he makes the catch.

Homer on intentional walk? Unbelievable. Pathetic. Why did the OM batter get ready to swing? Answer: because when we imtentionally walked the same guy earlier, the same pitcher actually threw a strike on the first pitch but it surprised everybody including the ump. It was borderline high at the letters but right down the middle. That is why he knew it was coming later.

The pitcher threw 4 pitches on 0-2 or 1-2 counts to their hitters and they jacked them. Why are we doing that? Who is calling pitches? We teach the ten year olds NOT to throw a strike at 0-2 or 1-2. It's an unforgivable sin to throw a fat pitch with those counts.

As to the HBP rule, it doesn't matter if the ball bounces first and then strikes the batter--still a HBP, unless the batter has inexplicably swung at the pitch...

As for throwing a strike on an 0-2 count, I've never had a problem wirth it. Batter's looking for a waste pitch, blow it by him and move on. You'll have to throw a strike to him sooner or later. :)

As for throwing a strike on an 0-2 count, I've never had a problem wirth it. Batter's looking for a waste pitch, blow it by him and move on. You'll have to throw a strike to him sooner or later. :)

One of those old "rules" that makes no sense to me...but I understand earlier in the season, CSG reamed out a couple guys for giving up 0-2 hits....so expect that is still the case.

No you never do that. The batter is guarding the plate and you want to make the batter chase a pitch out of the strike zone. Either high heat, neck high fast ball or curve/change-up low and away. Also what works is dusting the batter then follow with a curve. Very effective.

Throwing a great pitch over the plate is a cardinal sin.

No you never do that. The batter is guarding the plate and you want to make the batter chase a pitch out of the strike zone. Either high heat, neck high fast ball or curve/change-up low and away. Also what works is dusting the batter then follow with a curve. Very effective.

Throwing a great pitch over the plate is a cardinal sin.

Nobody said to throw a great pitch over the middle of the plate. But throwing a pitch that might get the K is fine by me. Everybody has their opinion. I was involved with baseball for over 30 years at different levels and I almost always had the pitcher try to get him out. I have seen thousands of walks or 3-2 count hits that happened after wasting a pitch on 0-2.

Just interested, any comments on the job Galloway is doing...just curious the feeling out there for early job performance..paid a lot of money for him?

Just interested, any comments on the job Galloway is doing...just curious the feeling out there for early job performance..paid a lot of money for him?

Likewise I'm wondering how San Diego is treating you?

Golloway is doing about as expected. There's some significant improvement but it will take a year or two of solid recruiting to build the talent level up to what it should be. Pawloski didn't leave him anything to work with.

seriously.....the tigers are loaded with talented kids......very talented.....1st power arm or Friday starter in Auburn in 7 yrs......pretty respectable starting rotation.....good closer......great centerfielder......ect talent is there....comment on decisions of sending runners home and getting thrown out game after game....not just getting thrown out by inches but yards...stealing 3rd with runners on 1st and 2nd with two outs....hmmmm solid baseball.....wow quite the upgrade......defensively perhaps the worst team I have witnessed....sorry call t like it is Galloway C-at best

Better than your boy Coach Paw would be doing.

seriously.....the tigers are loaded with talented kids......very talented.....1st power arm or Friday starter in Auburn in 7 yrs......pretty respectable starting rotation.....good closer......great centerfielder......ect talent is there....comment on decisions of sending runners home and getting thrown out game after game....not just getting thrown out by inches but yards...stealing 3rd with runners on 1st and 2nd with two outs....hmmmm solid baseball.....wow quite the upgrade......defensively perhaps the worst team I have witnessed....sorry call t like it is Galloway C-at best

Oh geez...the troll is back.

nightranger might be a troll....but unfortunately to this point his observations are pretty much correct IMO. Same issues as last year...leaky defense and poor base path discipline..... and failure to hit in the clutch.

But we appear to have some solid freshmen and if CSG can keep them around a couple years things should get better. I'm hopeful.

nightranger might be a troll....but unfortunately to this point his observations are pretty much correct IMO. Same issues as last year...leaky defense and poor base path discipline..... and failure to hit in the clutch.

But we appear to have some solid freshmen and if CSG can keep them around a couple years things should get better. I'm hopeful.

I agree. We need some better fielding IF's. We need to execute better in every phase of the game. We are playing a lot of young guys. We have a coach with a proven track record. I do think he will get our baseball program back to where it belongs. It will take more recruiting, but it will get there.

AU not being competitive during this entire series should raise eyebrows IMO. Everybody has an off day...or 2...and if Ole Miss was not (then) ranked 18th with 8 losses, this could be spun. Whatever started during the mopping up Samford did with us I haven' figured yet. Hopefully a trough and not a trend.

comment on decisions of sending runners home and getting thrown out game after game....not just getting thrown out by inches but yards...stealing 3rd with runners on 1st and 2nd with two outs....hmmmm solid baseball.....wow quite the upgrade......defensively perhaps the worst team I have witnessed....sorry call t like it is Galloway C-at best

How disingenuous can you be?

Golloway knew he was going to have to generate runs by whatever means necessary, and he's been overly aggressive on the base paths.

You talk about talent and point to two or three positions, and then talk about the worst defensive team you've witnessed (by the way 48 errors this year compared with 43 through 33 games last year). Which one is it? And by the way, this team is and will continue to be far better offensively than last year.

You certainly didn't expect for him to overcome 5 years of coddling in 5 months, right? You know better than that Coach P.

You certainly didn't expect for him to overcome 5 years of coddling in 5 months, right?

So who is being coddled? Many of the guys playing this year are freshmen and certainly not the responsibility of JP. No point in blaming this on the previous coach.....this is CSG's team and he is calling the shots on the bases, etc so it's his team and his results. As noted, I'm optimistic for the future but I do wonder how many of this team will be back.

comment on decisions of sending runners home and getting thrown out game after game....not just getting thrown out by inches but yards...stealing 3rd with runners on 1st and 2nd with two outs....hmmmm solid baseball.....wow quite the upgrade......defensively perhaps the worst team I have witnessed....sorry call t like it is Galloway C-at best

How disingenuous can you be?

Golloway knew he was going to have to generate runs by whatever means necessary, and he's been overly aggressive on the base paths.

You talk about talent and point to two or three positions, and then talk about the worst defensive team you've witnessed (by the way 48 errors this year compared with 43 through 33 games last year). Which one is it? And by the way, this team is and will continue to be far better offensively than last year.

You certainly didn't expect for him to overcome 5 years of coddling in 5 months, right? You know better than that Coach P.

Just a footnote on the errors. There were two errors in game one that cost us the game. The official scorer graciously award the batters from OM hits. If you had been there you would have called them errors. So...50.

Archived