Auburn vs. Alabama - Game 1

Keegan Thompson: "I just had to go in there and get it done for Dillon. He pitched his ass off tonight." (Agree 100%)

Golloway: "This was a back-to-the-wall, have-to-win ballgame."

Golloway says he's not sure who will start Saturday. Not Keegan, obviously.

@JayGTate

KT in for Ortman in the bottom of the 8th.....

What does that mean for the pitching rotation this weekend?

Golloway said pre-game that Tomscha starting at first gave them the luxury of having Thompson in the pen for game one without necessarily taking him out of the start on Sunday. It would be easy to ride him like a rented mule since he's getting to the point of dominant. I hope that doesn't happen, he's got the potential to play a lot of baseball for years to come.

I kind of thought he might start on Sunday. So O'Neal could possibly start tomorrow....

I agree about KT and his future in baseball. He has a ton of talent. I'd hate to see him get used up in college. He needs some help carrying the load.

Any time your starter can get you to the seventh, that's a quality outing. To the seventh with the lead is a good outing. To the eighth with the lead is a statement performance. We have 2 REALLY good starters right now, which is great for a 3 game series. However, in a regional we will need three reliable pitchers. I still haven't given up on Michael O'Neal and Trey is showing spurts of excellence in midweek games. I think we're looking up everybody!

P.S. Fantastic outing for Ortman. Tip of the cap from me, sir!

P.S.S. SEC... Keegan is scary!

I hope Ortman can hang in there.

What'd'ya think, like a hair in a biscuit?

Dude earned his steak dinner tonight, really gutsy effort.

It sure was a night to show his toughness. He got himself in trouble a few times but he he didn't give in. I was a nervous wreck for him but apparently he has ice water in his veins.

Thompson didn't pitch enough to have any effect on him Sunday. He will be able to start and go 9 if needed.

Any time your starter can get you to the seventh, that's a quality outing. To the seventh with the lead is a good outing. To the eighth with the lead is a statement performance. We have 2 REALLY good starters right now, which is great for a 3 game series. However, in a regional we will need three reliable pitchers. I still haven't given up on Michael O'Neal and Trey is showing spurts of excellence in midweek games. I think we're looking up everybody!

As far as O'Neal....he has potential. CSG tried something with his pitches early in the season that did not work out well, so I'm hoping he can get past that and keep improving. O'Neal was pretty decent last season IIRC.

I hope Trey does well. I've watched him play ball since he was 5-6 years old. He and my son played together for a few years, and even that young he was a good one.

As far as O'Neal....he has potential. CSG tried something with his pitches early in the season that did not work out well, so I'm hoping he can get past that and keep improving. O'Neal was pretty decent last season IIRC.

I hope Trey does well. I've watched him play ball since he was 5-6 years old. He and my son played together for a few years, and even that young he was a good one.

I'm excited about him too! He can be a hard thrower and has good, natural movement on his pitches. I'm ready to see what he can do when he gets ack in rythme! If I'm not mistaken I believe he's coming back from either an injury or surgery.

Anyway, whoever puts it all together first is the next man up! I'm pulling for everyone to have it click at the same time haha.

Great win for Auburn Bammers wanted this one with wee man throwing out the first pitch.

Lots of symbolism in this win....glad CSG pulled out all the stops and went with his best pitcher to save THIS game...and not get caught up in what might happen the next day.

Great win for Auburn Bammers wanted this one with wee man throwing out the first pitch.

Lots of symbolism in this win....glad CSG pulled out all the stops and went with his best pitcher to save THIS game...and not get caught up in what might happen the next day.

Yep. The most crushed I've ever seen an opposing manager was when I used my top pitcher for three innings to seal a win. He jumped up and down in glee, asking "What will you do tomorrow?" I replied "It might rain tomorrow but we won tonight." He paused a minute while that sunk in and then he deflated. (It didn't rain the next day but my team won again anyway.)

I don't know about symbolism, but there was at least one statement - this isn't the same mentally soft Auburn baseball team.

After the absolute train wreck last weekend, on the road for the second consecutive series, at the division leader's tiny little park, even without his best stuff, our Friday starter and his 'mates had more fight than theirs. And they're Updykes.

Not sure which sucks more for them this morning. :bananadance:

Interesting quote from CSG on the radio last night in the postgame it's hard for a team to sit around all day in a city and let a tough loss sink in, then have to go play another one that next day. Sounded like to him, this was just about a must-win, especially with him saying they really needed that one.

I have mentioned mental toughness a couple times. These 2 pitchers have it. Some of the bats do, but they all need it.

What kind of statement does it make to the dugout when you throw your 2 best arms to get a mid-season win. A loud statement. I hope this kind of stuff is sinking in with the players. I think one of the reasons csg is doing things like the double steal attempts, is as much mentality of this team moving forward as it is runs at that moment.

Archived