Reality Approaches for McCarron

Proud Tiger

McCarron really hurt himself and has only himself to blame. He feels a sense of entitlement, that he's going to get drafted high just because he played for Bama. Well, pro teams look at other Bama QBs like McElroy and Brodie Croyle, and do not see much reason to buy into McCarron's vision of his own wonderfulness.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The honest-to-God truth is that AJ simply isn't all that good. A healthy Aaron Murray was heads and shoulders better than AJ and a much better prospect for an NFL team. (Someone may pick him up at a bargain price in later rounds, betting on his complete recovery.) But AJ was never a great QB at bama and certainly not a QB many NFL teams would be willing to spend an early draft pick on, even though he claimed he'd go in the first round.

His attitude may have given some hesitation to even those teams willing to consider him. When it was clear that he wasn't all the good, but was claiming to be the best, that indicated a problem with reality and with attitude. Just as did his claims that, "We're still the best team." prior to him and his team mates laying a huge egg in the Sugar Bowl.

However, like Brodie, he may get one of the best jobs in the NFL; holding a clip board while someone else gets the crap beat out of him.

He certainly has an ego, but unless he was flat-out lying, multiple NFL people were telling him he could be drafted in the first round. We all know NFL teams are totally honest and forthright in letting people know who they are interested in leading up to the draft.... :gofig:

Rarely do I pay attention to things on TV with bama players, but I saw Gruden with AJ on TV last night. Did not see all of it, but one part caught my attention. Gruden asked AJ to stand up and show him his footwork for throwing an out route to the left. After AJ showed him his drop and stance - Gruden made an interesting comment that almost any school could use against uat in a QB recruiting battle. Gruden said that in AJ's 3 years as a starter - he has changed his fundamentals each year as far as which foot is back and how he swaps his feet to throw to the left. He said that AJ still needs to work on his fundamentals and find the correct foot placement for professional ball. This says 2 things. 1) uat is great at covering up the QB's flaws and 2) in 3 years, Saban and his staff could not make uat's best ever QB a legit NFL QB - mostly a lack of fundamentals. This is what separates him from the top QB's in the draft.

For the record, i have never once thought CNS was a player developer as much as an accumulator of talent.

If those of us thinking the same way are correct, 2014 could be a real disappointment for turd fans.

An accumulator of talent......that's the best description of the nickster that I have ever seen. That's exactly what he is.

It was not a year to be a QB in the NFL draft either. Too many good QBs have been signed in the last few years. The NFL as a whole is not interested in paying much for an average QB.

Fact #1: Several QB's have already been taken, AJ is not one of them. Plus, UGA's Aaron Murray is still out there. Injury or not there is no way I take AJ before Aaron Murray, of course I could be wrong, JMO.

Fact #2 plus a question: Who were these teams telling A.J. he will go in the first round? Don't now; because it didn't happen. It happened in the mind of an ego driven college QB that thinks he is entitled to be drafted high. He is getting exactly what he has coming!!

Rarely do I pay attention to things on TV with bama players, but I saw Gruden with AJ on TV last night. Did not see all of it, but one part caught my attention. Gruden asked AJ to stand up and show him his footwork for throwing an out route to the left. After AJ showed him his drop and stance - Gruden made an interesting comment that almost any school could use against uat in a QB recruiting battle. Gruden said that in AJ's 3 years as a starter - he has changed his fundamentals each year as far as which foot is back and how he swaps his feet to throw to the left. He said that AJ still needs to work on his fundamentals and find the correct foot placement for professional ball. This says 2 things. 1) uat is great at covering up the QB's flaws and 2) in 3 years, Saban and his staff could not make uat's best ever QB a legit NFL QB - mostly a lack of fundamentals. This is what separates him from the top QB's in the draft.

For the record, i have never once thought CNS was a player developer as much as an accumulator of talent.

If those of us thinking the same way are correct, 2014 could be a real disappointment for turd fans.

An accumulator of talent......that's the best description of the nickster that I have ever seen. That's exactly what he is.

Absolutely right TB, I can't even bring myself to call him a coach. He is a master manipulator, snake oil saleman, whatever. I would love to be a fly on the wall when he is giving his sales pitch to a recruit. New charger and suits galore. Rueben Foster said it all when he flipped to the tahd, it was a business decision. So true, but this won't last forever.

Now in the fifth round and A.J. is still home in Mobile waiting for the phone to ring. Just saying...

ESPN has openly reported that AJ took an attitude with them, "rubbed NFL executives the wrong way", "blamed others".

ESPN has openly reported that AJ took an attitude with them, "rubbed NFL executives the wrong way", "blamed others".

So basically, acted like a Bammer...

Nothing unusual to me about it, Nick Saban does not perfect his players craft as the media makes it out to be. He just try's to out talent other coaches while other coaches TEACH

He has the physical measurables and is a pretty fart smeller (as evident by throwing so few Ints) - he is a project with high upside IMO.

I think AJ is a smart player. However, he didn't throw more ints due to how that O uses their RBs. AJ checked down more often than not. He did air out a few and yes, he made some good throws but his RBs made him look a lot better than he actually was at QB. I won't be the one to take away from his talent but like what has been pointed out, I don't believe he will have a very productive career in the NFL. If he turns out to be a surprise...

I don't look at him and say that is a quality starting qb. He can be a backup, come in and hold a team in place to keep them from losing ground and be effective in that role. it is not a bad gig.

Archived