2015 4* FB Chandler Cox commits to AU!

RunInRed

They are all light coming in but I imagine a year will do him wonders and everybody was saying Mitchell was doing an outstanding job as well. I'm sure it will be bumpy first just like it was for prosch but I'm sure Mitchell will be alright

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jalen Harris is part of this class, as well. He's a TE in the Uzomah mold. Cox is an important guy, but Laye and Mitchell are expected to be Fulse and Uzomah-like, respectively. Plus, Kam Pettway could factor in as an FB/HB. There are options.

I kind of expect to see him on special teams. Seems like a nice blend of effort, athleticism, and toughness. That's perfect for getting a guy's feet wet on coverage teams.

I love CC but I don't see him playing much, as a freshmen, unless special teams or god forbid out of necessity. He will need lots of bulking up

Do we have anybody else that can block in space? Legit question.

Mcgufcm and I named 4 other guys who could possibly do that. They are all question marks of course but so would Chandler be coming out of high school

Mcgufcm and I named 4 other guys who could possibly do that. They are all question marks of course but so would Chandler be coming out of high school

Jalen is being brought in to be a power blocker as a TE on the line, not a HB that blocks in space. Who else you got?

Jalen is being brought in to be a power blocker as a TE on the line, not a HB that blocks in space. Who else you got?

give Jaylon Denson steroids and move him to HB. Best blocker we have in space

Batten would have been the starting HB this year if he hadn't gotten hurt, right? Would assume he would be the leading candidate. He will only be a Junior next year even if not granted a medical RS.

Batten would have been the starting HB this year if he hadn't gotten hurt, right? Would assume he would be the leading candidate. He will only be a Junior next year even if not granted a medical RS.

Don't think so. All indications were it was Fulse to start the year. With Fulse having issues in space GB would have gotten a real shot if he stayed healthy.

Don't think so. All indications were it was Fulse to start the year. With Fulse having issues in space GB would have gotten a real shot if he stayed healthy.

K, so given depth and availability, Batten considered a high possibility to start at HB next fall?

E, you're a prattville guy, you don't think Pettway can put a body on someone in space?

Mitchell and Laye both have the mobility to block in space. No idea if either will. Mitchell may be more of a receiver and Laye may be an in-line guy.

Lots of options. No clear answer. I rarely expect a freshman to start, especially in a blocking position.

E, you're a prattville guy, you don't think Pettway can put a body on someone in space?

You must have missed the argument Meta and I had on that about a month ago. I have no clue if Pettway can block in space. He was never once asked to in high school. And despite many AU fans wanting and assuming Pettway at HB, he was strictly recruited as a tail back and the staf to this point still has not looked at him at HB. I think space blocking is much more of a skill than most of us realize. I don't think we can just put a good athlete there and assume it will get done. As good of a blocking full back Prosh was it took him the off season and half the regular season to learn to block in space well.

K, so given depth and availability, Batten considered a high possibility to start at HB next fall?

I have no clue. I have not heard how he blocks in space. I think HB will be a wide open competition going into 2015.

See, E, I think the Ronnie Brown-experience points in the other direction. Ronnie was never asked to play H-Back until his senior year, but that's where you got the bulk of his snaps that season. If a guy is both gifted and willing to stick his face in the dirt, he's capable of doing that job. I don't think we need Jay Prosch. I think we need a consistent blocker that can add some versatility to the offense. Jay Prosch is great when you have him, but we didn't have anything near him in 2009 or 2010. I think Pettway profiles really well as an Eric Smith without the crazy. That's perfect for this offense.

No. Not going to start a walkon although I always thought Batten was a better HB than Fulse. Hope Gage comes back but I would think its questionable after injury and each year he moves further down the pecking order.

I love CC but I don't see him playing much, as a freshmen, unless special teams or god forbid out of necessity. He will need lots of bulking up

Not that I know of but I did say he may play due to necessity. He will give 120% but he will just get killed if its early in the season

See, E, I think the Ronnie Brown-experience points in the other direction. Ronnie was never asked to play H-Back until his senior year, but that's where you got the bulk of his snaps that season. If a guy is both gifted and willing to stick his face in the dirt, he's capable of doing that job. I don't think we need Jay Prosch. I think we need a consistent blocker that can add some versatility to the offense. Jay Prosch is great when you have him, but we didn't have anything near him in 2009 or 2010. I think Pettway profiles really well as an Eric Smith without the crazy. That's perfect for this offense.

Ronnie did not have to block in space that much. A Borges HB and a Malzahn HB are 2 completely different jobs. Again, I'm not saying Pettway can't do it. I just don't know and I think it would be a mistake to assume he could just because he is a very good athlete and has similar size to what Ronnie Brown had.

Not that I know of but I did say he may play due to necessity. He will give 120% but he will just get killed if its early in the season

He appears to be a pretty stout young man to me, and if he comes in early, he will have time to bulk up even further.

Well my point is just like we don't know about the other guys we don't know about Chandler either.

We know more about Chandler than the rest in a sense. He does block well in space in high school. Yes it remains to be seen if he can translate that to college but not other HB on roster had the in space blocking skill proven coming out of high school.

I haven't seen the film where he blocks in space so well. In high school blocking isn't the same at all though. In high school technique is hardly involved it's more of just being stronger than everybody else. Seems to me Chandler is more of an utility player that does everything for his team.

Just my opinion but I think we have more capable players than some of you I guess. I don't see a freshman Chandler being better than Mitchell a year in the system. I don't see Chandler starting over him so I don't think he plays unless we have injuries his freshman year

Chandler is going to be a super AU-Tiger….he'll be the captain of his class, and will be one that we will remember years after he has graduated…but as a freshman, you would always hope you don't need freshman to come in and be a major impact to the team…hopefully those already on campus will step up...

Chandler coming in January is a big plus. He's a smart kid so I think he has a chance. Mitchell who everyone is high on was primarily a receiving TE in HS if I recall. He may have come a long way in his scout team redshirt year but he had a pretty serious injury his senior year at Opelika and may not have had a chance to show his FB/H-B skills during rehab. I think we'll have a pretty good idea after Spring. No one is giving No 37 who was backup this year any shot. I'm assuming he was only backup because coaches were saving Mitchells redshirt and not because he beat out Jakell?

No one is giving No 37 who was backup this year any shot. I'm assuming he was only backup because coaches were saving Mitchells redshirt and not because he beat out Jakell?

37 is Hunter Wood is not a considered legit option barring more injuries. He was playing because Fulse was ineffective at times. #2 & #3 options in Gage Baten & Patrick Young are out for the year, and Mitchell is still undersized at about 220 lbs.

Archived