40-yard dash

WarEagleAU

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Must be hand timed. I know Corey Grant and Sammie are fast but I don't buy the sub 4.2 talk one bit. I wouldn't be surprised if they were both sub 4.3 but even then that's insanely fast.

Procrastinating finals, decided to do a little digging. Apparently in 2012 they decided to try Fully Automated Timing (lasers on both the start and finish). While that method would eliminated the human error aspect, the times are on average 0.22s slower, so they decided to stick with using a stopwatch for the beginning, laser at the end.

http://bleacherrepor...-times-recorded

http://www.cbssports...682485/34964121

However, according to coaches and scouts who discussed this with The Sports Xchange, the FAT times are expected to be .20 to .24 seconds slower than the relative times recorded using methods the Combine has gone with since 1990, and before...

...Combine, team and league officials are concerned that an abrupt change to recognizing the more accurate FAT times would create a culture shock of sorts for players. These players have long been told that, for skilled positions such as wide receiver, cornerback and running back, a 4.30 clocking is elite, a 4.40 is extremely good, a 4.50 is good and 4.70 and above may be cause for concern at those positions for an NFL prospect.

As an example, the great Jerry Rice had a rather pedestrian 40 time in the mid-4.6 range. If that time were converted to equate to FAT timing, Rice, rated by many as the best wide receiver -- and the best player -- in NFL history, would be credited with only a mid-4.8 time in the 40.

So suddenly adding .21-to-.24 seconds on the Combine times for prospects could result in some sort of psychological shock. As it is, some of the top rated athletes do not run at the Combine. If FAT 40-yard times became official, it is feared that even more players would refused to run at the Combine.

Laser start is not the way to go. That would give you actual running speed, but would not factor in the player's reaction time, which is just as critical. Start the timer with the start signal, then use laser at the finish.

Haven't watched the combine live in awhile. Do the players get to start whenever they want? Or are they reacting to a gun?

Not to be a Debbie Downer but there's a big difference between running a 40 yard dash with a running start and starting from a complete stop. Corey is definitely one of the fastest to come through here in a while and I can't wait to watch him blast by defenders who just can't keep up, but these 40 times are definitely a little shaved.

Yes, that is absolutely true, and I don't think you're being a debbie downer for pointing it out, because it's a legitimate difference...but covering 40 yards in 4.02 seconds is motoring under any circumstances, and he wasn't running in a completely straight line there, either.

But yeah, forget about the 40 times. The exciting thing about that run is the ability to kick in the after burners and make it look easy. I don't care if it was our second team D; that kind of burst will turn 2 yards into 8 yards in a heartbeat even against the best the SEC has to offer. And unlike the last running back we had with this kind of speed, he doesn't get knocked over with the brush of a feather, tipping the scales at 5'10, 205.

Procrastinating finals, decided to do a little digging. Apparently in 2012 they decided to try Fully Automated Timing (lasers on both the start and finish). While that method would eliminated the human error aspect, the times are on average 0.22s slower, so they decided to stick with using a stopwatch for the beginning, laser at the end.

http://bleacherrepor...-times-recorded

http://www.cbssports...682485/34964121

However, according to coaches and scouts who discussed this with The Sports Xchange, the FAT times are expected to be .20 to .24 seconds slower than the relative times recorded using methods the Combine has gone with since 1990, and before...

...Combine, team and league officials are concerned that an abrupt change to recognizing the more accurate FAT times would create a culture shock of sorts for players. These players have long been told that, for skilled positions such as wide receiver, cornerback and running back, a 4.30 clocking is elite, a 4.40 is extremely good, a 4.50 is good and 4.70 and above may be cause for concern at those positions for an NFL prospect.

As an example, the great Jerry Rice had a rather pedestrian 40 time in the mid-4.6 range. If that time were converted to equate to FAT timing, Rice, rated by many as the best wide receiver -- and the best player -- in NFL history, would be credited with only a mid-4.8 time in the 40.

So suddenly adding .21-to-.24 seconds on the Combine times for prospects could result in some sort of psychological shock. As it is, some of the top rated athletes do not run at the Combine. If FAT 40-yard times became official, it is feared that even more players would refused to run at the Combine.

Laser start is not the way to go. That would give you actual running speed, but would not factor in the player's reaction time, which is just as critical. Start the timer with the start signal, then use laser at the finish.

Haven't watched the combine live in awhile. Do the players get to start whenever they want? Or are they reacting to a gun?

I'm pretty sure they start when they want.

Not to be a Debbie Downer but there's a big difference between running a 40 yard dash with a running start and starting from a complete stop. Corey is definitely one of the fastest to come through here in a while and I can't wait to watch him blast by defenders who just can't keep up, but these 40 times are definitely a little shaved.

Yes, that is absolutely true, and I don't think you're being a debbie downer for pointing it out, because it's a legitimate difference...but covering 40 yards in 4.02 seconds is motoring under any circumstances, and he wasn't running in a completely straight line there, either.

But yeah, forget about the 40 times. The exciting thing about that run is the ability to kick in the after burners and make it look easy. I don't care if it was our second team D; that kind of burst will turn 2 yards into 8 yards in a heartbeat even against the best the SEC has to offer. And unlike the last running back we had with this kind of speed, he doesn't get knocked over with the brush of a feather, tipping the scales at 5'10, 205.

Since most of the other issues with the run have been discussed let us drop the HE WAS IN PADS, if you have ever sprinted in your life doing so in pads running start or not 4.02 is fast

Must be hand timed. I know Corey Grant and Sammie are fast but I don't buy the sub 4.2 talk one bit. I wouldn't be surprised if they were both sub 4.3 but even then that's insanely fast.

I was going to say that as well; remember even if this was hand-timed, the most worst this time could have been was probably still sub 4.3, which is crazy fast!

Since most of the other issues with the run have been discussed let us drop the HE WAS IN PADS, if you have ever sprinted in your life doing so in pads running start or not 4.02 is fast

Actually, when your pads fit you right (as Auburn's players pads will, because they have plenty in every size and shape), then once you get going it's not a whole lot different. It's the acceleration part that pads hurt you most.

Exactly!

I hope after Cory graduates that AU gives Stanton Truitt a chance to run the jet sweep. He was a state champ track athlete in HS. He has a great feel for football too. I hope we always have at least 1 complete burner that can run the ball. Speed kills!

I hope after Cory graduates that AU gives Stanton Truitt a chance to run the jet sweep. He was a state champ track athlete in HS. He has a great feel for football too. I hope we always have at least 1 complete burner that can run the ball. Speed kills!

Truitt should get his chances this year. Grant wasn't the only player who ran a jet sweep last year. Looking forward to seeing it.

Truitt should get his chances this year. Grant wasn't the only player who ran a jet sweep last year. Looking forward to seeing it.

That he will, and those chances will almost certainly increase in 2015, after Corey has graduated...but let us not forget Roc Thomas, who will almost certainly be getting carries, as well. He has enough speed to run that sweep, and he has the runner's instinct to cut through gaps opened by the blockers, the moves to make guys miss, and the power to run through arm tackles when the defender doesn't completely miss. I suspect he'll get his share of carries, as well, while Truitt gets more touches in the passing game.

Archived