40-yard dash

WarEagleAU

Quite honestly, those numbers might not be too far off. I would buy both Corey and Sammie as 4.25-4.3 guys...

Sure, that's only off by fractions of a second but in the world of 40 times that is pretty far off. 0.1 to 0.15 seconds slower than the reported time leaves the top players as pretty damn fast but some of the others are then pretty average for their position. OTOH, it is kinda like arguing over stars. As long as they perform, I don't care about their 40 time except for how it helps them achieve their dreams and for the conversations we can have about it.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I told some friends after watching the A Day game that Corey was faster this spring than last fall. Corey also told Philip Marshall that he was faster. I have no doubt he is and he was scary fast before.

Don't forget that Corey outran Dee Milliner in the state track meet when they were seniors in high school. He has always been fast...

And Dee ran a 4.37 at the combine.

It's hard to believe that one college team has 2 sub 4.2 guys at the same time. That's world record kind of speed.

But the point remains, we have some ridiculously fast guys on this team!

We need to get the ball out of the backfield to CG. We did it to Omac all the time. I am not sure about CG's hands, but if works on that aspect of game, it opens up yet another opportunity. He takes a few to the house, teams will have to focus a ton of attention to it and open up the middle.

We need to get the ball out of the backfield to CG. We did it to Omac all the time. I am not sure about CG's hands, but if works on that aspect of game, it opens up yet another opportunity. He takes a few to the house, teams will have to focus a ton of attention to it and open up the middle.

Nothing against Tre because he was a beast for us, but I've wondered if things would have been different in the final play against FSU if we had tossed the ball to Corey instead of Tre. Corey was known to have had more top end speed than Tre and that is what would have been needed in that last play.

Nothing against Tre because he was a beast for us, but I've wondered if things would have been different in the final play against FSU if we had tossed the ball to Corey instead of Tre. Corey was known to have had more top end speed than Tre and that is what would have been needed in that last play.

and if he had the right blocks.

Corey Grant's HS track highlights. He won the 6A State title in the 100 meters. Dee Milliner, Former Alabama CB, finished 4th.

Corey Grant's HS track highlights. He won the 6A State title in the 100 meters. Dee Milliner, Former Alabama CB, finished 4th.

Wow that wasn't even close.

I don't know about Grant running a 4.14, but he is definitely sub 4.3

I'm actually kind of shocked we don't use the laser-timing for this kind of stuff. My old gym had it in high school, surely budget isn't an issue. Anybody have any insight as to why we don't?

I played in a 7 on 7 against corey in high school and the first play they threw him a little swing route out of the back field and he went for a touchdown and after the play all of our DBs were just looking at each other thinking "holy **** that guy was fast" he torched us that whole 7 on 7. he has very good quickness to go along with his straight away speed. i wish we would get him the ball more often.

I'm actually kind of shocked we don't use the laser-timing for this kind of stuff. My old gym had it in high school, surely budget isn't an issue. Anybody have any insight as to why we don't?

I agree that it is a little surprising. Maybe it's because claiming a 4.1 by hand sounds a lot cooler than a 4.3-4.4 by laser, and that motivates the players even more to keep with their training

I agree that it is a little surprising. Maybe it's because claiming a 4.1 by hand sounds a lot cooler than a 4.3-4.4 by laser, and that motivates the players even more to keep with their training

laser times still have to be started by hand only stopped by the laser so they are slightly more accurate but not that much more accurate. Only way to get a 100% accurate time is to video the whole thing and check the clock from there which is way more work than anyone cares to do.

Procrastinating finals, decided to do a little digging. Apparently in 2012 they decided to try Fully Automated Timing (lasers on both the start and finish). While that method would eliminated the human error aspect, the times are on average 0.22s slower, so they decided to stick with using a stopwatch for the beginning, laser at the end.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1543670-how-are-40-yard-dash-times-recorded

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/13682485/34964121

However, according to coaches and scouts who discussed this with The Sports Xchange, the FAT times are expected to be .20 to .24 seconds slower than the relative times recorded using methods the Combine has gone with since 1990, and before...

...Combine, team and league officials are concerned that an abrupt change to recognizing the more accurate FAT times would create a culture shock of sorts for players. These players have long been told that, for skilled positions such as wide receiver, cornerback and running back, a 4.30 clocking is elite, a 4.40 is extremely good, a 4.50 is good and 4.70 and above may be cause for concern at those positions for an NFL prospect.

As an example, the great Jerry Rice had a rather pedestrian 40 time in the mid-4.6 range. If that time were converted to equate to FAT timing, Rice, rated by many as the best wide receiver -- and the best player -- in NFL history, would be credited with only a mid-4.8 time in the 40.

So suddenly adding .21-to-.24 seconds on the Combine times for prospects could result in some sort of psychological shock. As it is, some of the top rated athletes do not run at the Combine. If FAT 40-yard times became official, it is feared that even more players would refused to run at the Combine.

Then we'd have REAL times instead of crap to crow and beat our chests about. And no, laser times don't have to rely on a human starter, an inexpensive computer chip on a headband as the runner starts across another laser does the trick. And that technology is available at Best Buy, super cheap. Grant's one of the fastest players in the country in any event.

On Corey's long TD run at A-day, dude was moving at a special rate of speed!

Who is our track coach? If these times are legit there is no reason why the track coach isn't running over to Gus right now

Procrastinating finals, decided to do a little digging. Apparently in 2012 they decided to try Fully Automated Timing (lasers on both the start and finish). While that method would eliminated the human error aspect, the times are on average 0.22s slower, so they decided to stick with using a stopwatch for the beginning, laser at the end.

http://bleacherrepor...-times-recorded

http://www.cbssports...682485/34964121

However, according to coaches and scouts who discussed this with The Sports Xchange, the FAT times are expected to be .20 to .24 seconds slower than the relative times recorded using methods the Combine has gone with since 1990, and before...

...Combine, team and league officials are concerned that an abrupt change to recognizing the more accurate FAT times would create a culture shock of sorts for players. These players have long been told that, for skilled positions such as wide receiver, cornerback and running back, a 4.30 clocking is elite, a 4.40 is extremely good, a 4.50 is good and 4.70 and above may be cause for concern at those positions for an NFL prospect.

As an example, the great Jerry Rice had a rather pedestrian 40 time in the mid-4.6 range. If that time were converted to equate to FAT timing, Rice, rated by many as the best wide receiver -- and the best player -- in NFL history, would be credited with only a mid-4.8 time in the 40.

So suddenly adding .21-to-.24 seconds on the Combine times for prospects could result in some sort of psychological shock. As it is, some of the top rated athletes do not run at the Combine. If FAT 40-yard times became official, it is feared that even more players would refused to run at the Combine.

Laser start is not the way to go. That would give you actual running speed, but would not factor in the player's reaction time, which is just as critical. Start the timer with the start signal, then use laser at the finish.

Corey Grant's A-Day spring game highlights. Auburn RB Corey Grant goes 40 yards in 4.02 seconds. #AuburnFast

Corey Grant's A-Day spring game highlights. Auburn RB Corey Grant goes 40 yards in 4.02 seconds. #AuburnFast

It even looked like he let up at the end. I can remember an interview with U of Pitt's Tony Dorsett. They asked him how fast his 40 time is? Tony answered: on the playing field, it's as fast as it has to be!

It even looked like he let up at the end. I can remember an interview with U of Pitt's Tony Dorsett. They asked him how fast his 40 time is? Tony answered: on the playing field, it's as fast as it has to be!

He definitely lets up at about the 5 yard line. Dad gum that guy is fast.

Not to be a Debbie Downer but there's a big difference between running a 40 yard dash with a running start and starting from a complete stop. Corey is definitely one of the fastest to come through here in a while and I can't wait to watch him blast by defenders who just can't keep up, but these 40 times are definitely a little shaved.

Archived