Garner and Lambert in AJC...HA-HA!

Dixie1860

http://recruiting.bl...h-relationship/

I don't care for Carvell, but this is awesome. Love the vague responses!!

Rodney Garner’s relationship wins over top recruit

By Michael Carvell

Recruiting is all about the relationships.

DaVonte Lambert, who was rated as the nation’s No. 1 prospect at strong-side defensive end out of junior college, built his relationship with Auburn defensive line coach Rodney Garner several years ago.

As a senior at Burke County High School in 2012, Lambert was a non-qualifier academically but Garner – who then worked at UGA – still brought in Lambert on an official visit with the Bulldogs.

The longstanding relationship was a major reason why Lambert flipped from Tennessee to Auburn on signing day this past December, and also turned down scholarship offers from UGA and Florida, among others.

“I’ve been knowing Coach Garner for a while, since he was at Georgia,” Lambert said. “Me and Coach Garner, we are real close. I’ve known him since I was in high school. We have a really good relationship.”

Lambert, who just finished up at Georgia Military junior college, is so tight with Garner that he admits that he would’ve signed with UGA if Garner was still coaching there.

“I can say yes,” Lambert said. “I can definitely say yes because Coach Garner – that’s my man right there.”

Here’s the rest of the Q&A with DaVonte Lambert:

Which school finished runner-up to Auburn? “Tennessee finished second.” What could Tennessee have done better? “They did everything right. It was just some things … there was some misunderstandings about some things that could’ve been fixed.” What was the misunderstanding about? “It was just some minor things. I can’t really name one of them.”

What was the most creative thing a college did to get your attention? “Auburn returning that field goal for six points to beat Alabama got my attention. I went to that game.” What about stuff colleges sent to you in the mail? “Tennessee used to send me big envelopes with pictures of me in the jersey with my number on it. That was really entertaining.”

It would be great for our defense if Lambert could be a contributor at DE this year. We need to be able to spell our starters. I like that we sub a lot.

It would be great for our defense if Lambert could be a contributor at DE this year. We need to be able to spell our starters. I like that we sub a lot.

I would think they expect Lambert to contribute early, Bring in a JC kid that is usually the case.

Interesting that when he didn't attend the Kansas community college LSU picked, they stopped recruiting him. Very odd.

Interesting that when he didn't attend the Kansas community college LSU picked, they stopped recruiting him. Very odd.

That part sounded very fishy

The link doesn't work for me, but from the blurb in the OP I thought the response to "What could UT have done better?" seems fishy too. He can't name one of the things? :-\

The link doesn't work for me, but from the blurb in the OP I thought the response to "What could UT have done better?" seems fishy too. He can't name one of the things? :-\

Nothing smells fishy to me. (What would it mean to sound fishy?)

Nothing smells fishy to me. (What would it mean to sound fishy?)

Sudden silence?

Archived