DIRECTV / SEC Network getting closer to a deal ...

RunInRed

My cost figure was a guess. The SEC / ESPN / Disney is charging the providers for the access so I assumed they would try to capitalize on the opportunity. The SEC Network will be very popular in the southeast and in other areas. I will be surprised if all providers don't charge a surcharge or increase rates, even minimally, beginning in August because they can.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For anyone living in Baldwin county, Riviera Cable will have the SEC network in the basic plus package and also in HD. Rivera can't advertise this because the contract negotiation with ESPN is still ongoing but will be completed by the end of this month. If you know anyone with RU Cable, let them know. Channel 76 for basic plus (reprogram your TV, there is a place holder there for now(also there is a new movie channel on 77)) and 706 in HD.

I have that stupid WOW cable and there is no SEC deal yet. I wish we had another option here in my neighborhood.

Tigerbelle, I don't know your situation but if you can get satellite TV I highly recommend it. I have DISH and just love it. I have fiddled with Direct TV but personally I find DISH to be more user friendly and also it is going to have the SEC network. If you are in a condo or apartment situation I guess you are just stuck with cable. Good luck with your situation. :)

We are not allowed to have satellite dishes in my neighborhood. There are some neighbors working on the possibility of getting that removed, because it was put into the covenants when satellite dishes were huge and very ugly, and somebody years ago objected to them. There was an agreement in place with Knology, and we had a great package deal with the company if the whole neighborhood signed on, so everyone did. Then WOW! bought out Knology and it all fell apart. We no longer have a great deal, and we can't use satellite. WOW! is the only cable provider in this suburb, so I have no options unless I can somehow watch online. I'd dump WOW! in a heartbeat if I could.

I have that stupid WOW cable and there is no SEC deal yet. I wish we had another option here in my neighborhood.

Tigerbelle, I don't know your situation but if you can get satellite TV I highly recommend it. I have DISH and just love it. I have fiddled with Direct TV but personally I find DISH to be more user friendly and also it is going to have the SEC network. If you are in a condo or apartment situation I guess you are just stuck with cable. Good luck with your situation. :)/>

We are not allowed to have satellite dishes in my neighborhood. There are some neighbors working on the possibility of getting that removed, because it was put into the covenants when satellite dishes were huge and very ugly, and somebody years ago objected to them. There was an agreement in place with Knology, and we had a great package deal with the company if the whole neighborhood signed on, so everyone did. Then WOW! bought out Knology and it all fell apart. We no longer have a great deal, and we can't use satellite. WOW! is the only cable provider in this suburb, so I have no options unless I can somehow watch online. I'd dump WOW! in a heartbeat if I could.

Wow will have the SEC network. I have Wow it's not that bad. The people are really friendly and it's cheaper then DIRECTV or Dish.

Tigerbelle, I don't know your situation but if you can get satellite TV I highly recommend it. I have DISH and just love it. I have fiddled with Direct TV but personally I find DISH to be more user friendly and also it is going to have the SEC network. If you are in a condo or apartment situation I guess you are just stuck with cable. Good luck with your situation. :)

"If I couldn't live in a neighborhood where I had the right to be free, that makes me wanna move to Scotland, or China." - Jase

Break down some walls Tigerbelle!

What about Comcast??? Hate it that CSSports shut it down....I always enjoyed their Sunday night College football show and the replays...Has anyone heard anything about Comcast in this deal????

What about Comcast??? Hate it that CSSports shut it down....I always enjoyed their Sunday night College football show and the replays...Has anyone heard anything about Comcast in this deal????

Comcast should have you covered. They've been very public that they are going to get a deal worked out.

Tigerbelle, I don't know your situation but if you can get satellite TV I highly recommend it. I have DISH and just love it. I have fiddled with Direct TV but personally I find DISH to be more user friendly and also it is going to have the SEC network. If you are in a condo or apartment situation I guess you are just stuck with cable. Good luck with your situation. :)/>

I had Dish in TX, have Direct now for several years and like Direct better. So it's a toss-up, but if you go a Direct I can reduce your bill by $10.00 per month. - and that goes for anyone else out there.

Just hope they don't jack the fee big time, although the gumps may be left out then

For those asking about cost. It will cost more for some and nothing for others. It's going to be based on what channel lineup you have from directv. Not sure of the names but it will probably be added to their top 2 or 3 packages at no extra cost. If you are in the lower tiers you will probably have to pay a little more

Does DTV carry PAC 10, Big 10, or Longhorn? This might tell how DTV thinks, which scares me. We all are a little bias about the SEC but to DTV they are looking at the big picture in their eyes like what they said about the non fans. After reading their statement I do not feel any better about the deal than I did before. I don't trust them to do what I want them too, and will give them till August then I will drop them like a rock. I still need to call and check on if I am at the end of any contract, upgraded equipment last November.

The statements they have released seem to be worded in away to string us along.

For Charter subscribers

Charter Communications, a cable provider spread throughout Alabama, is in active discussions with ESPN. The nation's fourth-largest cable provider is distributed to 5.7 million homes.

"Charter is always seeking additional programming for our customers to enhance their entertainment experience," Charter communications director Patti Michael said. "We are currently in discussions with ESPN regarding the SEC Network."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/07/sec_optimistic_more_cable_sate.html

It's kind of frustrating right now. I am making plans to go elsewhere to watch the games for the 2014 season and I hate having to do that. Sometimes I just want to watch at home with my friends and/or family. I want to have OPTIONS!!!

Have the providers who have agreements in place let their subscribers know how much more the SEC Network is going to cost the subscriber? I expect it to be in the $10-$12 per month range for most. Does anybody have any knowledge or thoughts on this?

I would think it wouldn't be that drastic of a rate hike for one channel. Dish network didn't go up so I suspect Direct TV would ba a dollar or two at most, JMO though

If you have U-Verse it is included in your cable package if you have the U300 and up package. It's on AT&T's website.

? just found out I have a contract with DTV till 11/15/15 due to an equipment upgrade. It will cost $280 to get out of it, but I think I would do it in a heart beat if they string this out past first game. To me the statement they released is leading up to maybe offering it but only in a premium type format like NFL ticket, if they can get away with it.

just found out I have a contract with DTV till 11/15/15 due to an equipment upgrade. It will cost $280 to get out of it, but I think I would do it in a heart beat if they string this out past first game. To me the statement they released is leading up to maybe offering it but only in a premium type format like NFL ticket, if they can get away with it.

The last carriage rates BSPN was seeking for SEC Network, were $1.30 per suscriber per month in SEC matkets. Out of market rate is 25 cents per month. For comparison the Big Ten Network is $1.00 for those in Big 10 markets.

"Nineteen months after the Pac-12 Network launched, it still doesn’t have a deal with the satellite TV giant. Which is a big deal because DirecTV has approximately 20 million subscribers.

And there’s no sign of progress. Both sides are entrenched in their positions — DirecTV won’t pay what the Pac-12 Network is asking; the Pac-12 Network won’t cut its price for DirecTV.

For a long time, I believed this was temporary. That the two sides would come to some sort of agreement sooner rather than later."

"P12N is on its own. It doesn’t have a huge media conglomerate behind it.

And having a huge media conglomerate hasn’t helped when it comes to fighting with DirecTV. It dropped Comcast/NBC’s G4 in November 2010, and it has never been restored.

Those folks at DirecTV are tough. If you’re going toe to toe with them and you’re waiting for the satellite guys to blink, you’re going to be waiting a long time.

I’m not telling Pac-12 Network executives they should blink. Clearly, they’ve decided getting on DirecTV is not a priority."

DirecTV actually dropped the Weather Channel for a little bit because of price. I don't think they care how big of a network or company ESPN is.They will get their price or it won't be available.

I think the big difference in this case is that ESPN brings A LOT of money into DirecTV with Game Plan. I don't know that they would be willing to bite the hand that feeds them, 3+ months out of the year.

I talked with direct tv about an hour ago, and I guess I will switch to dish network in the morning....the guy I talked to was a Tennessee fan and he was optimistic that direct would get it worked out but when I asked about them not carrying the pac 10 network, he stumbled around and had to go get information from someone else.... I am far from convinced that direct tv will carry the SEC network....one consideration is the service guys that install the dishes....if a bunch of folks want to change to dish from direct, those guys will be worked to death and won't be able to meet the demand....so, I am not going to take a chance on missing any games, and save about $50 a month for the next 12 months

My experience with Direct TV. It wasn't good.

Several years ago we had Direct for a while. Never again.

The nightmare began with the installation. As usual we were told the guy would be there between 10 am and 6 pm. So I make arrangements to be at the house all day waiting for him. 6 came and went and he was a no show. 7 came and went and still no show. at 7:30 I left with some friends. The next day I called Direct to report the tech's no show and was told, "He got there at 8 o'clock and no one was there. You should have waited."

I told the woman at Direct that we were told he'd be there between 10 and 6 and he wasn't. "Well, he got held up." she said.

"Oh my." I told her, "I'm sorry his phone broke and he wasn't able to call and let us know."

Silence on the other end.

Finally she asked if we wanted to re-schedule. I told her yes. And this time the guy did show up. Things worked for 2 days. then their satellite channel crapped out and was dead for 3 days befoer they got it running again. So we've had Direct for 5 days...3 of them dead.

Within a month their receiver died. It was supposed to be new. It wasn't. I asked if they could send another and was told I'd have to send the bad one back before they'd send another unit. And then they'd have to evaluate the old one firsst to see if it really was bad or if I'd done something to shut it down.

A week later, after they'd had it for several days, and I'd been without service for a week, they finally decided that indeed their first unit was bad and would send another...in a day or so...slow delivery. So I get the 'new' receiver and hook it up myself and...it doesn't work either.

I get on the phone with Direct again only to discover that they'd sent the wrong unit. the one they'd sent was for another region and wouldn't work where I was. Could they send another? no, not until they get this unit back.

So, after nearly 3 weeks of no service due to Direct's incompetence, i finally get a receiver that works.

but even then, it only takes a small cloud in the sky to shut down service. And this keeps up for the remainder of the contract.

needless to say i did not renew the contract with them.

We went with Dish as soon as we could get out from under Direct. Yes, a heavy electrical storm will block their signal but it does take something extreme. Other than that there have been no problems with them. No way will we ever go back to Direct and no way would I ever recommend Direct to anyone.

The nightmare began with the installation. As usual we were told the guy would be there between 10 am and 6 pm. So I make arrangements to be at the house all day waiting for him. 6 came and went and he was a no show. 7 came and went and still no show. at 7:30 I left with some friends. The next day I called Direct to report the tech's no show and was told, "He got there at 8 o'clock and no one was there. You should have waited."

I told the woman at Direct that we were told he'd be there between 10 and 6 and he wasn't. "Well, he got held up." she said.

"Oh my." I told her, "I'm sorry his phone broke and he wasn't able to call and let us know."

Finally she asked if we wanted to re-schedule. I told her yes. And this time the guy did show up. Things worked for 2 days. then their satellite channel crapped out and was dead for 3 days befoer they got it running again. So we've had Direct for 5 days...3 of them dead.

Within a month their receiver died. It was supposed to be new. It wasn't. I asked if they could send another and was told I'd have to send the bad one back before they'd send another unit. And then they'd have to evaluate the old one firsst to see if it really was bad or if I'd done something to shut it down.

A week later, after they'd had it for several days, and I'd been without service for a week, they finally decided that indeed their first unit was bad and would send another...in a day or so...slow delivery. So I get the 'new' receiver and hook it up myself and...it doesn't work either.

I get on the phone with Direct again only to discover that they'd sent the wrong unit. the one they'd sent was for another region and wouldn't work where I was. Could they send another? no, not until they get this unit back.

So, after nearly 3 weeks of no service due to Direct's incompetence, i finally get a receiver that works.

but even then, it only takes a small cloud in the sky to shut down service. And this keeps up for the remainder of the contract.

We went with Dish as soon as we could get out from under Direct. Yes, a heavy electrical storm will block their signal but it does take something extreme. Other than that there have been no problems with them. No way will we ever go back to Direct and no way would I ever recommend Direct to anyone.

Weather will block the signal of any sattelite system. You made a great choice. The block for weather is temporary and doesn't last long enough to really be an annoyance.

Weather will block the signal of any sattelite system. You made a great choice. The block for weather is temporary and doesn't last long enough to really be an annoyance.

Well aren't you the smart one.......... :Sing:

Well aren't you the smart one.......... :Sing:

It's about time you recognize that fact. ;D

I was talking to Charter today and the guy said Charter was still in negotiations with the SEC Network because they were driving the price up because "they are holding it to a higher standard".

Just seen an advertisement on my DTV that Charter will pay up to $500.00 dollars to buy out any contract with other providers :bananadance:

So if DTV does not pick it up and Charter happens to I have an option :jossun:

Archived