DIRECTV / SEC Network getting closer to a deal ...

RunInRed

Have the providers who have agreements in place let their subscribers know how much more the SEC Network is going to cost the subscriber? I expect it to be in the $10-$12 per month range for most. Does anybody have any knowledge or thoughts on this?

I would think it wouldn't be that drastic of a rate hike for one channel. Dish network didn't go up so I suspect Direct TV would ba a dollar or two at most, JMO though

If you have U-Verse it is included in your cable package if you have the U300 and up package. It's on AT&T's website.

I just upgraded my U-Verse from U200 to U300, and discovered that is $9 a month cheaper (with discounts)! I have been with U-verse for 3 years, and asked for a loyalty discount. They dropped my rate from $200/mo to $126 for phone, TV and internet. If I had stayed with U200, it would have been $135.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have the providers who have agreements in place let their subscribers know how much more the SEC Network is going to cost the subscriber? I expect it to be in the $10-$12 per month range for most. Does anybody have any knowledge or thoughts on this?

I would think it wouldn't be that drastic of a rate hike for one channel. Dish network didn't go up so I suspect Direct TV would ba a dollar or two at most, JMO though

If you have U-Verse it is included in your cable package if you have the U300 and up package. It's on AT&T's website.

I just upgraded my U-Verse from U200 to U300, and discovered that is $9 a month cheaper (with discounts)! I have been with U-verse for 3 years, and asked for a loyalty discount. They dropped my rate from $200/mo to $126 for phone, TV and internet. If I had stayed with U200, it would have been $135.

Sweet deal! We're all ready to go 84. I need to see if they may have a new deal for me. I hope all the other providers join the party soon so that everyone else doesn't have to sweat it out.

I talked with direct tv about an hour ago, and I guess I will switch to dish network in the morning....the guy I talked to was a Tennessee fan and he was optimistic that direct would get it worked out but when I asked about them not carrying the pac 10 network, he stumbled around and had to go get information from someone else.... I am far from convinced that direct tv will carry the SEC network....one consideration is the service guys that install the dishes....if a bunch of folks want to change to dish from direct, those guys will be worked to death and won't be able to meet the demand....so, I am not going to take a chance on missing any games, and save about $50 a month for the next 12 months

I did the same thing last week. I spoke with Direct and the reply was that only 35% of the games will be broadcast on the network and ESPN has assured them that the games will be available on ESPN3 if it is not offered by the carrier. I took this to mean they will not be carrying the network. So, I called Dish and it was installed the next day. Also am saving $30 a month for the next 12 months.

If anyone else is switching to Dish, let me know and I will PM you a code for an additional $50 in savings. The code only works when you sign up for service so let me know beforehand.

I have that stupid WOW cable and there is no SEC deal yet. I wish we had another option here in my neighborhood.

Tigerbelle, I don't know your situation but if you can get satellite TV I highly recommend it. I have DISH and just love it. I have fiddled with Direct TV but personally I find DISH to be more user friendly and also it is going to have the SEC network. If you are in a condo or apartment situation I guess you are just stuck with cable. Good luck with your situation. :)/>

We are not allowed to have satellite dishes in my neighborhood. There are some neighbors working on the possibility of getting that removed, because it was put into the covenants when satellite dishes were huge and very ugly, and somebody years ago objected to them. There was an agreement in place with Knology, and we had a great package deal with the company if the whole neighborhood signed on, so everyone did. Then WOW! bought out Knology and it all fell apart. We no longer have a great deal, and we can't use satellite. WOW! is the only cable provider in this suburb, so I have no options unless I can somehow watch online. I'd dump WOW! in a heartbeat if I could.

Wow will have the SEC network. I have Wow it's not that bad. The people are really friendly and it's cheaper then DIRECTV or Dish.

That has not been my experience. They have been very ugly, and the wait time on a phone call has been as long as 45 minutes. My bill is never right, and every month I have to go through the ordeal of being on hold forever just to get them to correct my bill. Every month for 2 years....I kid you not. So frustrating. I was on the phone with them 2 days ago, and was told....no SEC yet when I asked about it.

Charter totally silent around our area but I expect they will sign on before the first kick-off......JMO but it's all negotiating strategy...Charter wants to pay as little as possible...not that it would mean they will show us any mercy.

Meanwhile, seems SEC has put most of it's eggs in their network basket and if some big cable providers don't sign on, those big $$$ numbers someone showed us on another post a few days ago will be just a dream.

Without the prospect of the SEC Network, the AU-Arky and USCe -TAMU games would have been set for one of the national networks....for certain.

These will be important early season games for the some top rated SEC teams as they start weeding out the competition. There is a very good chance that most of the nation will be "blacked out" for these games.

I have DirecTV and love it, always great customer service. Almost never have issues with wind/rain outages etc. I really don't think I have a negative thing to say. That being said I was prepared to leave them to pick up the SEC network if they aren't going to have it, so I spoke to a DirecTV rep who sells out of my local Costco, and he said he could almost guarantee they will carry the network, they are negotiating over price and it is possible, the network won't be available on the launch date, but it would be carried, just a matter of timing. So I called DirecTV and let them know I would cancel if they don't carry it and they gave me a huge equipment upgrade, NFL Sunday ticket redzone channel, and $15.00 of of my current programing price if I renewed.

I have Uverse internet and access to Watch Espn app, so I'll take my chances that they will pick up the network sooner than later.

I'm going to the first several game so the season anyway.

I've got a newsflash for people. NONE of the lackeys that answer the phone when you call or even a local rep is going to know a frickin' thing about any network availability when it comes to future channels. The sooner you realize this the better off you will be. It will actually be comical if directv doesn't get the network all season and watch the meltdown. DirecTV is going away eventually anyway, but the meltdown will be almost as fun to watch as a uat meltdown.

at first on the schedule on espn.com it said that the arky game was available on watch espn, thought that would be a way for me to watch it since my parents don't want to pay extra for the sports package...now it just says sec network smh...if i gotta go to buffalo wild wings darn it I'll Go!!!

I have DirecTV and love it, always great customer service. Almost never have issues with wind/rain outages etc. I really don't think I have a negative thing to say. That being said I was prepared to leave them to pick up the SEC network if they aren't going to have it, so I spoke to a DirecTV rep who sells out of my local Costco, and he said he could almost guarantee they will carry the network, they are negotiating over price and it is possible, the network won't be available on the launch date, but it would be carried, just a matter of timing. So I called DirecTV and let them know I would cancel if they don't carry it and they gave me a huge equipment upgrade, NFL Sunday ticket redzone channel, and $15.00 of of my current programing price if I renewed.

I have Uverse internet and access to Watch Espn app, so I'll take my chances that they will pick up the network sooner than later.

I'm going to the first several game so the season anyway.

I agree with your sentiments about DirecTV. I have no complaints. But, I will drop them in a heartbeat if they don't sign on before August 30. I would not accept the equipment upgrades because you probably just agreed to a two year contract and will have to pay out the ying-yang to get out of it. See your original contract. I don't think DirecTV or the SEC Network want to launch without an agreement.

I promise you DIRECTV will carry the channel. I worked in corporate when we negotiated with Big 10 and they did the same thing--dragged their feet to try and keep the cost per sub as low as possible. The truth is , both entities need the other.

I promise you DIRECTV will carry the channel. I worked in corporate when we negotiated with Big 10 and they did the same thing--dragged their feet to try and keep the cost per sub as low as possible. The truth is , both entities need the other.

Yes, this is typical of both sides. Directv will have a deal in place in a few weeks, they are not missing out on this opportunity I assure you. And, you're right about the low cost thing, by them dragging this out perhaps my damn cable bill won't go up too much next year. Follow the $$$$$$, both sides stand to make ooodles of it and will iron this out soon. Might be the day before the season but Directv will carry it.

I hope you are right but I recall that the Big12 and Texas thought the entire world was eager to sign on for their network....and it did not happen...at least, not with the enthusiasm they expected. I'm afraid that some of the SEC people may be over-estimating the appeal of their conference network outside of the SEC states.

The recent expansion enlarged the SEC footprint but overall, most of the nation is not eagerly awaiting the opportunity to pay another few bucks for the SEC Network. I use as my basis for this view.....my own reaction to the Big10 network which we have...and which I almost never watch because I have no interest in watching the also-rans and minor sports in that conference. Turn that view around and you will see why the SEC Network has a real job convincing the cable and sat. companies about the number of viewers the network will bring in the 40 or so non-SEC states.

I hope you are right but I recall that the Big12 and Texas thought the entire world was eager to sign on for their network....and it did not happen...at least, not with the enthusiasm they expected. I'm afraid that some of the SEC people may be over-estimating the appeal of their conference network outside of the SEC states.

The recent expansion enlarged the SEC footprint but overall, most of the nation is not eagerly awaiting the opportunity to pay another few bucks for the SEC Network. I use as my basis for this view.....my own reaction to the Big10 network which we have...and which I almost never watch because I have no interest in watching the also-rans and minor sports in that conference. Turn that view around and you will see why the SEC Network has a real job convincing the cable and sat. companies about the number of viewers the network will bring in the 40 or so non-SEC states.

Well to clarify, the Big 12 doesn't have a network. Only Texas does, which severely limits the amount of programming and the customer base, since not everyone here follows the Horns.

DirecTV carries the BIG 10 network, the SEC is the premier league in college athletics right now, not just football. SEC has perennial contenders in Men's baseball, basketball, and football, womens softball and basketball (all sports that people want to watch). All of the most watched college football games of the past decade include SEC teams.

Like I said, they will carry the channel, its just a matter of timing.

BTW I'll never go back to some of my previous providers due to the terrible customer service and inferior HD quality. Never tried Dish though.

I just moved to a new subdivision that didn't bury Mediacom cable when they built the infrastructure. I signed a direct tv contract this month and it's a $20 a month buyout. I was hoping they were gonna sign.

Does anyone know if Directv agrees will it be a premium channel or how it works on existing carriers that will have it? Will it just join the package or will I have to request it? Thanks.

Does anyone know if Directv agrees will it be a premium channel or how it works on existing carriers that will have it? Will it just join the package or will I have to request it? Thanks.

Likely a premium channel within one of the packages. I have everything (but not NFL) including all the movie channels and Genie with three receivers for less than $90.00.

Service is great here in Auburn and 800 customer device is problem free.

Whew, thanks for posting. Fingers crossed.

Agreed!

I don't think there's any need to worry. I doubt there is any way Direct lets the season start without offering SEC to their customers.

By early Aug I expect virtually every porvider will have signed on.

I hope you mean next August..

For anyone living in Baldwin county, Riviera Cable will have the SEC network in the basic plus package and also in HD. Rivera can't advertise this because the contract negotiation with ESPN is still ongoing but will be completed by the end of this month. If you know anyone with RU Cable, let them know. Channel 76 for basic plus (reprogram your TV, there is a place holder there for now(also there is a new movie channel on 77)) and 706 in HD.

Interesting ....

Agreed!

I don't think there's any need to worry. I doubt there is any way Direct lets the season start without offering SEC to their customers.

No one knows what DTV will do really and we all tend to think " this is THE SEC no way in hell they don't pick it up" but truly some suit up north really don't care unless it effects the bottom line enough.

Agreed!

No one knows what DTV will do really and we all tend to think " this is THE SEC no way in hell they don't pick it up" but truly some suit up north really don't care unless it effects the bottom line enough.

I've told the suits up north, they have less than a month to carry it or I am switching to Dish Network! IMO, Direct TV feels since they have the NFL Network, they are golden. I think, come the end of Aug, to the 1st of Sep. they may feel differently about the sports viewing in the South Eastern part of the US.

their net worth dropped by $97 yesterday because I switched to dish....I'm sure they were upset inside the corporate boardroom when they heard that I had left them, but they left me no choice....I didn't want to take a chance on the dish network installers being under the gun when football season got close, and that is something to consider if you are thinking about switching

I will have Riviera until at least August so I'm not missing out according to that earlier member...

This deal needs to happen more for DTV than SEC Network, they have all the connections they need at this point.

Archived