What is THE scariest movie ever?

Guest AuNuma1

Guest AuNuma1

Well, what is it?

In my opinion, there hasn't been anything "scary" made in the last 15 years or so. For me, I'd say "The Exorcist" and "The Omen" were some pretty disturbing movies, especially for their time.

However, I do think there has been some creative scary movies in the last 15 years, but nothing quite "disturbing". Eventhough "Blair Witch Project" wasn't all that scary, I liked it's creepyness and originality. "The Ring" was another creepy one but it wasn't original...

I'm wanting to rent "Resident Evil" and "28 Days Later". Anybody seen either of these?

The Exorcist is still creepy...Salem's Lot was scary in an understated sort of way.

Blair Witch Project was just dumb...here's the movie: "I'm scared!...We're lost!...%*&^ you!"

The Exorcist is still creepy...Salem's Lot was scary in an understated sort of way.

Blair Witch Project was just dumb...here's the movie: "I'm scared!...We're lost!...%*&^ you!"

SALEM'S LOT? Are you high?????????????? I LAUGHED through that movie. The effects were lame, the plot was trashed and the suspense was nil. Maybe my bashing it comes from the fact that the BOOK scared me so bad, I slept with the light on for three days - AS AN ADULT!!!!!!! You know how the little vampire boy floats outside the other kid's window and says "Hey, let me in!" Well, the movie doesn't really cover this but the only way a vampire can come in your house is to be invited - guess they have manners. :P So anyway the little boy vampire floats up and down outside this kid's window, scratching on the screen going "Let me in!" And there just happened at that time to be a rose bush outside my window... and it was a windy night... and every freaking time I was near sleep, I would hear "scratch, scratch..." on the screen and my subconscious would FREAK OUT!!

So in terms of "fear factor", I guess the scariest movie ever to me is The Shining, which is yet another example of a BOOK that scares me so badly that I can only read it when my husband is home.

I guess my imagination is worse than actually seeing it "live and in color" on the screen. Movies just don't do it for me.

Exorcist is the only scary movie that gave me the creeps and nightmares. The part that messed with my head was that weird face that flash on and off the screen every now and then when Linda Blair was doing her "devil thing". I usually go to those types of movies for laughs, especially Freddy Krueger movies, which are the best!!! The Final Destination movies had some pretty good shock value to them also. The movie with the most haunting image for me that has stuck with me is in the first Pet Cemetary. It is at the beginning when the little boy is hit by the semi-truck. My daughter was very little then and seeing that upset me big time and it has stuck with me since. Can't watch the movie ever again.

So in terms of "fear factor", I guess the scariest movie ever to me is The Shining, which is yet another example of a BOOK that scares me so badly that I can only read it when my husband is home.

I also read The Shining, it scared me much more than the movie.

The Exorcist was truly scary.

Jaws was scary when I saw it, mainly because I as going thru Scuba certification and had to make several open water dives in the Gulf of Mexico. We were also making night dives, which were creepy.

I'm wanting to rent "Resident Evil" and "28 Days Later". Anybody seen either of these?

I haven't seen the movie Resident Evil, but the game is the scariest freaking thing I have ever seen. I dont scare easily, but I won't leave that game disk in my gamecube at night. Scary stuff. :blink:

I'm wanting to rent "Resident Evil" and "28 Days Later".  Anybody seen either of these?

I haven't seen the movie Resident Evil, but the game is the scariest freaking thing I have ever seen. I dont scare easily, but I won't leave that game disk in my gamecube at night. Scary stuff. :blink:

Just yesterday, my daughter told me she had rented the movie "28 Days Later",

and it was one of the worst movies she had ever seen. In fact so bad they did not finish! :puke:

HellraiserII: Hellbound is one of the best. Lord of Illusions was pretty good.

Has anyone seen Cabin Fever? It has gotten many good reviews.

In my early teen years Friday the thirteenth (the first one and the second one not quite as much) scared the bejeezuus out of me. So did Jaws. The first Nightmare on Elm Street was very original and scared us good in high school. Of course FTT and NoES are now jokes because of the sequels. The first Halloween was excellent as well. John Carpenters "The Thing" was exceelent when I was in high school.

I'll think of some more.

Guest AuNuma1

Another recent one that I liked was "Mothman Prophecies"...creepy nonetheless.

Also, I'm curious if this new "Texas Chainsaw Masacre" will be any good...

Scariest movie ever = the exorcist

Also good was The Blair Witch Project...VERY eerie movie.

The first Alien was great. The title i cant remember...that Lawrence Fishburn movie...where they were in space?

And Numa im suprised you didn't get this one:

SEVEN...what a wonderful movie. VERY VERY disturbing. And creepy. Best thriller ever.

The shining was one of the worst movies ive ever seen. Kubrick was a HORRIBLE director. (except for full metal jacket)

28 Days Later was an excellent...excellent flick.

The movies that scare me aren't the ones with 'monsters' or the like. Friday the 13th, Halloween, etc. have an initial scare impact, but nothing for the long term that gets you long after the films over.

The ones that scare me are the ones that could really happen. Someone mentioned Jaws. The Exorcist III was creepy, especially the scene in the jail cell. Also, Seven was kind of scary to me. Gross, too.

Guest AuNuma1
The first Alien was great. The title i cant remember...that Lawrence Fishburn movie...where they were in space?

And Numa im suprised you didn't get this one:

SEVEN...what a wonderful movie. VERY VERY disturbing. And creepy. Best thriller ever.

The first Alien was titled "Alien"...or are you talking about something else?

And although I really liked Seven, I don't really think of that one as a scary movie...I don't know. Good movie though...

That's funny because I distinctly remember you jumping out of your chair when they found that guy with all the air fresheners in his house and he gasped for air ;)

I wanted to make it clear i was talking about ALIEN and not ALIENS because a lot of people think all the movies in the series are titled aliens.

And after the first one the series took a definitive SCI FI turn instead of SCI FI/Horror

Someone told me that Serpent and the Rainbow was based on a true story.....Maybe that's why it scared me so bad!!!

"Don't bury me!!!.....I'm not dead!!!!"

Archived