Who should tote the rock?

chimesAU

Gurley is with out a doubt the best back in the country. There is no comparison out there even close. Back to AU. We have situational backs. Barber may be the most complete. As far as a backfield . AU has top five in the country

Co-sign

I didn't get to see Barber run, left at the weather delay. How did he look?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a coach myself, but if my starter just reeled off 170+ yards in a game, I wouldn't be debating whether someone else should start in his place.

CAP & Corey have slightly different, yet equally valuable skills. CAP has a little more power, IMO, and Corey a bit more speed. I'd be comfortable with either as our primary back, but as of now would say it's CAP's until/unless he demonstrates otherwise. (Also imagine it somewhat depends on opponent and game situation, something I'll leave to Gus & Co..)

What is particularly great, in my opinion, is that we have so much talent in that position that this sort of debate is understandable. What a great "problem" to have! I expect the same question to be raised next year with Barber, Roc, and Jovon Robinson coming in!

IGTBAAT!

Having the most ability and being the best are two different things. Nobody thought TM was going to be the best either but in Gus's offense you have a leg up. Just saying. Duke doesn't have elite speed either, who would you like to trade him for ?WDE

Some around here had a pretty good idea of what to expect from Mason last year considering what he was able to accomplish in 2012. And regarding Duke- numerous people have already commented on the fact that he could stand to lose a few lbs to hopefully gain some speed...but I wouldn't trade him for anyone. Not even Cooper, RSJ or Treadwell.

Barber had a few good runs. But it was hard to tell with the amount of carries. He has size speed and vision. But still a long way to go

Having the most ability and being the best are two different things. Nobody thought TM was going to be the best either but in Gus's offense you have a leg up. Just saying. Duke doesn't have elite speed either, who would you like to trade him for ?WDE

Some around here had a pretty good idea of what to expect from Mason last year considering what he was able to accomplish in 2012. And regarding Duke- numerous people have already commented on the fact that he could stand to lose a few lbs to hopefully gain some speed...but I wouldn't trade him for anyone. Not even Cooper, RSJ or Treadwell.

Treadwell is probably a good comparison because they are both built very similar. Treadwell is not a burner either, but both are extremely physical and have great hands. I would say that Treadwell is probably more polished than Duke, but Duke has some fire in him that you don't see from a lot of receivers. He is a fighter, and will be the difference for us some games this year.

LMAO at CAP slow start was because of Johnson. Some of you really don't know anything about football.

speak for yourself.

Nah if you're the one that said that I'm speaking for you

Don't understand the criticism of CAP....did all he was asked to do....175 yards.....and those first half stuffs were on JJ and the OL....he got hit before he even had the ball. JJ needs to learn to execute the read option....never kept the ball.

All in all, I'm good with the way the RBs got used...and I really like having Grant for the speed man and would hate to give that up just to see him run inside...basically doing what CAP is doing and probably not any better IMO. And I liked the couple of passes to Grant and CAP...don't think we saw any of that last season.

Agreed. I thought CAP did very well. After I watched the DVR yesterday, I saw what Coach Malzahn was saying about missed assignments or reads on several runs in the first half. Overall, I thought all three RBs did well. I can't wait to throw Thomas in the mix. I hope the coaches keep the RB by committee approach as we will need all four plus Marshall to make it through the schedule we have in front of us.

IMO Nick Marshall is our best running back. CAP looked solid, but he does not have the burst through the hole that Tre Mason had. I do think he is a good compliment to Marshall as a power back. Corey Grant needs to go back to being the speed sweep back. I know he wants to be the featured back, but he best helps this team in that role. I'm very curious to see how Peyton Barber & Roc Thomas perform as the year goes on.

Did Corey ever run between the tackles and do a bad job?

My thoughts too after reading the post above yours. I was skeptical during the preseason about Grant's ability to run between the tackles but thought he looked pretty darn good Saturday.

IMO Nick Marshall is our best running back. CAP looked solid, but he does not have the burst through the hole that Tre Mason had. I do think he is a good compliment to Marshall as a power back. Corey Grant needs to go back to being the speed sweep back. I know he wants to be the featured back, but he best helps this team in that role. I'm very curious to see how Peyton Barber & Roc Thomas perform as the year goes on.

Well, that's your opinion. I'm just curious when Grant ran between the tackles and failed so miserably that you draw this ridiculous conclusion from. It sure wasn't Saturday. Fortunately, our coaches know what they are doing and what a player is capable of better than you.

I think a lot of folks pick and choose their moment of history. I remember a lot of armchair QBs saying that Tre could not be our every down back and in fact it was RB by committee for about 3 weeks. I think CAP had a 100 yard game and then Corey and then Tre. Tre eventually won out because he toughened up and worked hard. The point is that CAP and Corey were good enough last year and they are better this year. Last year it was Barber who was going to pass them and Tre, this year it is Roc. Roc will play ST and he will get some mop up duty, but barring injury to two of the three ahead of him that will be it. Don't fret though, he knows his time will come. That's the thing I like about these teams coached by Gus, they are patient and understand they have to earn there start. Just look at JJ and Sean White, both will tell you they are willingly awaiting their time. As the old saying goes their is no "I" in team. Our players get it. WDE

I think a lot of folks pick and choose their moment of history. I remember a lot of armchair QBs saying that Tre could not be our every down back and in fact it was RB by committee for about 3 weeks. I think CAP had a 100 yard game and then Corey and then Tre. Tre eventually won out because he toughened up and worked hard. The point is that CAP and Corey were good enough last year and they are better this year. Last year it was Barber who was going to pass them and Tre, this year it is Roc. Roc will play ST and he will get some mop up duty, but barring injury to two of the three ahead of him that will be it. Don't fret though, he knows his time will come. That's the thing I like about these teams coached by Gus, they are patient and understand they have to earn there start. Just look at JJ and Sean White, both will tell you they are willingly awaiting their time. As the old saying goes their is no "I" in team. Our players get it. WDE

Tre Mason was a tough sob since the moment he stepped on campus. Anyone who thought Barber would pass Tre last year (and I don't remember anybody ever saying that) is an idiot.

I think they will save Roc as a surprise for LSU. Probably wrong but we will see. I just looked at his old High School film and he is something else. Can't wait to see him.

I think they will save Roc as a surprise for LSU. Probably wrong but we will see. I just looked at his old High School film and he is something else. Can't wait to see him.

I bet Roc and Barber play this week .

I bet Roc and Barber play this week .

Safe bet. Lots of Barber and then Roc as the 4th winds down.

Well, that's your opinion. I'm just curious when Grant ran between the tackles and failed so miserably that you draw this ridiculous conclusion from. It sure wasn't Saturday. Fortunately, our coaches know what they are doing and what a player is capable of better than you.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... Where did I say that he failed miserably?! I said that the BEST way that he could help this team is by being the speed back. I think Grant would do just fine as the primary back between the tackles, but to me this is taking away his greatest asset which is his speed on the edge. He did things last year that McCaleb couldn't do with the same speed. Ricardo Louis and others have been successful on the jet sweeps, but Grant takes it to another level when he gets the edge. If you guys want to run him 15-20 times up the middle then that's great, but IMO the offense goes to another level when he is be in a position to get to the corner while the defense has to defend Payne & Marshall up the middle.

Archived