Who should tote the rock?

chimesAU

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somebody please point out the person who spoke negatively about CAP....stop acting like freaking kids....as far as the second 3rd and 1I didn't speak on it because I haven't gone back and watched it. The first one wasn't CAP or JJ's fault and Nick wouldn't have made it any different. I'm not saying Nick doesn't make an impact but it's not to the extent some of you try to make it. Some of you act like read option is the only way a ball can be ran and also JJ didn't run more than 4 plays that were a read option they were hand offs. And nobody thinks the defense getting stops and us keeping their defense on the field had anything to do with then wearing down and us having more success in the run game? And if we had gotten the ball back more times we would have scored more.

Lastly I guess everybody forgot that Nick wasn't that good of a runner at first? Gus literally called him out b4 the Mississippi game and said he must be better....to be honest you guys really don't know what Johnson is capable of because you don't know his ceiling on being a runner

I don't think that is necessary. I think most here speak English and are capable of reading and comprehending adequately.

Well either I missed it or you can't do it but I do no somebody saying CAP started slow, or doesn't have super fast top end speed doesn't equate to downing him or replacing him

The whole topic is embarrassing. Wake up!

Ok....I see. Well didn't they say him and Grant were both auditioning though? So it could be a good question without being disreputable per se

Look, show me another fan base that questions who should be toting the rock after their number 1 RB goes off for 170 yards.

Fan bases with 4 and 5* RBs waiting in the wings who could all have higher upsides than the game 1 starter.

Please provide an example from Saturday not a hypothesis.

A hypothesis? I think you're trying a little too hard.

It's tough to provide an example from Saturday considering only one other back really got any carries...but that one other back did rush for an average of 2 yards per carry more than the starter. The other, a true sophomore, who Tre Mason said was the most talented back on the team last year, rushed for 6.3 YPC (That's pretty good). The last guy just so happens to be one of, if not the, most highly heralded running backs we've signed in the past 20 years.

Remember I said they could be better...not that they necessarily are better.

To answer the title of this thread. ...I think they both should. They both bring different tools. Why we are even questioning the topic is puzzling to me to begin with. I will admit it's nice to even have a stable of backs even remotely valid of the discussion. We haven't had this kind of talent in the backfield since Ronnie Brown and Cadillac....and I see some similarities in them aside from Corey having world class speed. Combine those with Nicks ability to draw they defense to account for him or JJs ability to launch the rock anywhere on the field with extreme prejudice and laser sharp accuracy and my friends. ..we have winners. Oh....and it also appears our Offensive line will be among tops in the NCAA again this year. Gonna be a awesome season offensively.

Somebody please point out the person who spoke negatively about CAP....stop acting like freaking kids....as far as the second 3rd and 1I didn't speak on it because I haven't gone back and watched it. The first one wasn't CAP or JJ's fault and Nick wouldn't have made it any different. I'm not saying Nick doesn't make an impact but it's not to the extent some of you try to make it. Some of you act like read option is the only way a ball can be ran and also JJ didn't run more than 4 plays that were a read option they were hand offs. And nobody thinks the defense getting stops and us keeping their defense on the field had anything to do with then wearing down and us having more success in the run game? And if we had gotten the ball back more times we would have scored more.

Lastly I guess everybody forgot that Nick wasn't that good of a runner at first? Gus literally called him out b4 the Mississippi game and said he must be better....to be honest you guys really don't know what Johnson is capable of because you don't know his ceiling on being a runner

I don't think that is necessary. I think most here speak English and are capable of reading and comprehending adequately.

Well either I missed it or you can't do it but I do no somebody saying CAP started slow, or doesn't have super fast top end speed doesn't equate to downing him or replacing him

Ok....I see. Well didn't they say him and Grant were both auditioning though? So it could be a good question without being disreputable per se

Look, show me another fan base that questions who should be toting the rock after their number 1 RB goes off for 170 yards.

Fan bases with 4 and 5* RBs waiting in the wings who could all have higher upsides than the game 1 starter.

It's tough to provide an example from Saturday considering only one other back really got any carries...but that one other back did rush for an average of 2 yards per carry more than the starter. The other, a true sophomore, who Tre Mason said was the most talented back on the team last year, rushed for 6.3 YPC (That's pretty good). The last guy just so happens to be one of, if not the, most highly heralded running backs we've signed in the past 20 years.

I think it is rather obvious you need to try much harder. :-\

All of your comments are based off of what? Have you actually watched the game????

I think you keep using CAP and Grant along with Marshal. It changes things up and keeps players fresh. I will say that Barber was impressive late in the game.

I think you keep using CAP and Grant along with Marshal. It changes things up and keeps players fresh. I will say that Barber was impressive late in the game.

^^This. Makes no difference who the main back is. They're all superbly effective. They each bring something different. Which is where the magic is. Opposing Defenses cant get a good read on any of them really. Get a key on one...well we hit you with Corey. .back to CAP....then to Nick then CAP back to Nick then to Corey. ...see how much fun this can be?

All of your comments are based off of what? Have you actually watched the game????

Bits and pieces. That's why I started the thread. I wanted to know, from those who did get to watch it, who they felt was the most impressive back. Like I said in the first post, the stats don't always tell the whole story. I wanted to hear what everyone thought about our RBs, not who had the most yards or debating whether or not we should be "questioning the coaches".

"Who should tote the rock?" is the thread title and is a far cry from "who was most impressive back?" Whether intended or not, the thread title questions the coaches. It is what it is and it says what it says and that is what drew the reaction.

Now you stated it wasn't your intent, so I will take you at your word. WDE!

"Who should tote the rock?" is the thread title and is a far cry from "who was most impressive back?" Whether intended or not, the thread title questions the coaches. It is what it is and it says what it says and that is what drew the reaction.

Now you stated it wasn't your intent, so I will take you at your word. WDE!

I see why you'd think that and it was not my intention. Not that I think it's blasphemous to question the coaches, but that wasn't exactly what I was going for when starting the thread.

When CAP got in the grove, he looked as good as Mason did last year. That game was just like last year....or any other Gus offense. The starter avg's 5-7 yds per carry; and the change of pace 8-10 yds...CAP ran hard; and showed some shake-n-bake. Our offense is just more impressive when you have a running threat at QB.

A bit off topic, but just watched the game again on SEC Network. Does Roc Thomas really remind anyone of Michael Dyer? (sorry if discussed elsewhere)

A bit off topic, but just watched the game again on SEC Network. Does Roc Thomas really remind anyone of Michael Dyer? (sorry if discussed elsewhere)

Reminds me of Cadillac in all honesty.

Haha thought the same thing.

CAP looked great! He displayed excellent vision, very shifty in traffic, and good power. He put up 170 something yards and ppl are saying stupid ass things like "he only got yards after the D got tired." SMDH! Everybody is always wanting to see the shiny new toys, and therefore they see what they want to see regarding player's performances. This board has been ridiculous lately.

+1

Cap looked like a guy that can be the workhorse. He seemed to get stronger as the game went on, and was rarely brought down by the first guy. Excellent vision. Not a home-run hitter though and doesn't have elite quickness. He's a grinder. Reminds me of Frank Gore or Ben Tate.

Grant is obviously extremely fast, quick, etc. He is very strong for his size, and looked comfortable carrying between the tackles. He doesn't seem to have much shake and bake to him though. He's more of a straight line runner, similar to Darren Sproles or Omac.

Haven't seen anything really from Barber or especially Thomas, but I think those guys will get their chance. Cap and Grant are good at what they do don't get me wrong, but neither is the complete package.

CAP played great last night. He ran hard and had some big runs when he had some space to work with. The short yardage stops were definitely on the blockers, not much he can do when he gets hit right when he gets the handoff. I see no reason to change the number of carries at this point. Hopefully we get the backups some more carries in the next game when we're up by a few TDs.

they all looked very good to me. Not Tre Mason good but good enough.

Tre Mason didn't look Tre Mason good after only 1 game last year either.

We don't need them to be Tre Mason. SMH. They are all valuable weapons on their own outright. Maybe they didn't look spectacular enough to distinguish themselves because they all played awesome? Has anyone looked at it from that perspective?

CAP did really well. So did Grant. We have a VERY good rb rotation. Best in the SEC IMHO

I've been a big cheerleader for Grant all offseason, but CAP looked fantastic Saturday. Absolutely fantastic. The *only* tool he doesn't have in the kit is breakaway speed, but only a handful of RBs have everything. He's patient, he hits the hole aggressively, he's got great hips and moves well laterally, he bounces off and pulls out of tackles, great vision... absolute stud. Not sure I buy the "he's no Tre" opinion. Probably not the same RB, but there's no reason to think he can't be just as good with a slightly different skill set.

The OL played heavily both into CAP getting stuffed on those short yardage plays and into Corey moving the pile on that TD. I have been pleading with this board to have an open mind about how strong Corey is, but those few plays did not prove that he has an incredible leg drive that CAP lacks.

I do hope to see Corey get a couple more carries between the tackles, because I think he could have turned a couple of CAP's longer runs into touchdowns (and it would be great for him to have some more resume fodder). The question that remains is can he consistently get to the 2nd level the way CAP can? Not sure.

Barber looks promising. Hard to get a good read on him yet, but I don't think we saw anything to complain about, that's for sure.

I'm guessing that Roc will get featured this week in the 4th quarter.

I've been a big cheerleader for Grant all offseason, but CAP looked fantastic Saturday. Absolutely fantastic. The *only* tool he doesn't have in the kit is breakaway speed, but only a handful of RBs have everything. He's patient, he hits the hole aggressively, he's got great hips and moves well laterally, he bounces off and pulls out of tackles, great vision... absolute stud. Not sure I buy the "he's no Tre" opinion. Probably not the same RB, but there's no reason to think he can't be just as good with a slightly different skill set.

The OL played heavily both into CAP getting stuffed on those short yardage plays and into Corey moving the pile on that TD. I have been pleading with this board to have an open mind about how strong Corey is, but those few plays did not prove that he has an incredible leg drive that CAP lacks.

I do hope to see Corey get a couple more carries between the tackles, because I think he could have turned a couple of CAP's longer runs into touchdowns (and it would be great for him to have some more resume fodder). The question that remains is can he consistently get to the 2nd level the way CAP can? Not sure.

Barber looks promising. Hard to get a good read on him yet, but I don't think we saw anything to complain about, that's for sure.

I'm guessing that Roc will get featured this week in the 4th quarter.

Nice post.

OT: I thought the same thing about the Mike Dyer comment.

maybe cap and cg should alternate games. one game cap starts and plays the first half, and cg comes in with fresh legs the second half. the next week, cg can play the first half, and cap comes in with the fresh legs. it would be equal loads, equal wear and tear, and an opportunity each week for one of them to exploit tired defenses. just a thought.

maybe cap and cg should alternate games. one game cap starts and plays the first half, and cg comes in with fresh legs the second half. the next week, cg can play the first half, and cap comes in with the fresh legs. it would be equal loads, equal wear and tear, and an opportunity each week for one of them to exploit tired defenses. just a thought.

Actually...alternately running them the entire game keep the defense off balance and would be more effective IMO. Add in the threat of Nick and it's easy to see why our Offense is so brutally dangerous. If Nick can consistently get the ball to our phenomenal group of receivers, it opens up the run game even more.....which should be quite a scary thought to opposing DC's.

Archived