Who should tote the rock?

chimesAU

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CAP is a good back but he lacks lacks the burst/explosion and top end speed to be elite. I hope we see some Roc Thomas worked into the mix in the coming games.

I can certainly agree with this.

Both third down stops were due to missed blocks. The first by Uzomah, the second by Young. No RB can get 2 yards being hit right after the handoff.

cole, I'd definitely disagree on the second 3rd and 1. That was a read play. Jeremy mis-read it. He gave when he should've pulled, and CAP got stuck in a bad spot. On the first one, Uzomah missed his block on the backside, and CAP got hit on the handoff. What's he supposed to do there?

It's not surprising that both back looked worlds better standing next to Nick. He's the most important part of the run game. Nick bends the defense. He has gravity. If CAP plays the full game with Nick yesterday, he runs for 200+ yards. Nick distorts the defense. Jeremy does not. Jeremy does other things really well, but he makes our run game mortal.

CAP was the best back I saw yesterday. Barber gets an Incomplete because you can't gauge his talent playing with the backup line and 3rd string QB. Grant is a very good player, but CAP was more consistent, especially playing with Nick. They looked very fluid in their ball handling. Now, if CAP can't hold onto the ball, he should sit immediately. The gap between him and Corey or Peyton or Roc isn't wide enough to suffer turnovers.

CAP was the best back I saw yesterday. Barber gets an Incomplete because you can't gauge his talent playing with the backup line and 3rd string QB. Grant is a very good player, but CAP was more consistent, especially playing with Nick. They looked very fluid in their ball handling. Now, if CAP can't hold onto the ball, he should sit immediately. The gap between him and Corey or Peyton or Roc isn't wide enough to suffer turnovers.

Well said. I can respect this so much more than "He ran for [blank] yards so he must be awesome" or "The coaches have him starting so end of discussion".

I am shocked that some so called AU faithful would question our coach's. Those commenting negatively about CAP should be ashamed. Your football IQ is low. Period!

I am shocked that some so called AU faithful would question our coach's. Those commenting negatively about CAP should be ashamed. Your football IQ is low. Period!

K

Somebody please point out the person who spoke negatively about CAP....stop acting like freaking kids....as far as the second 3rd and 1I didn't speak on it because I haven't gone back and watched it. The first one wasn't CAP or JJ's fault and Nick wouldn't have made it any different. I'm not saying Nick doesn't make an impact but it's not to the extent some of you try to make it. Some of you act like read option is the only way a ball can be ran and also JJ didn't run more than 4 plays that were a read option they were hand offs. And nobody thinks the defense getting stops and us keeping their defense on the field had anything to do with then wearing down and us having more success in the run game? And if we had gotten the ball back more times we would have scored more.

Lastly I guess everybody forgot that Nick wasn't that good of a runner at first? Gus literally called him out b4 the Mississippi game and said he must be better....to be honest you guys really don't know what Johnson is capable of because you don't know his ceiling on being a runner

Some of you act like read option is the only way a ball can be ran

It is ten times easier to run the ball out of a read-option when you employ a spread offense, hence why literally all of the best running spread offenses are read-option based. The RB's (all of them) will ALWAYS be more effective with Marshall in at QB. Subsequently, with Johnson at QB you are much more likely to see huge games from the receivers.

Somebody please point out the person who spoke negatively about CAP....stop acting like freaking kids....as far as the second 3rd and 1I didn't speak on it because I haven't gone back and watched it. The first one wasn't CAP or JJ's fault and Nick wouldn't have made it any different. I'm not saying Nick doesn't make an impact but it's not to the extent some of you try to make it. Some of you act like read option is the only way a ball can be ran and also JJ didn't run more than 4 plays that were a read option they were hand offs. And nobody thinks the defense getting stops and us keeping their defense on the field had anything to do with then wearing down and us having more success in the run game? And if we had gotten the ball back more times we would have scored more.

Lastly I guess everybody forgot that Nick wasn't that good of a runner at first? Gus literally called him out b4 the Mississippi game and said he must be better....to be honest you guys really don't know what Johnson is capable of because you don't know his ceiling on being a runner

I don't think that is necessary. I think most here speak English and are capable of reading and comprehending adequately.

It is ten times easier to run the ball out of a read-option when you employ a spread offense, hence why literally all of the best running spread offenses are read-option based. The RB's (all of them) will ALWAYS be more effective with Marshall in at QB. Subsequently, with Johnson at QB you are much more likely to see huge games from the receivers.

Persactly

Lol ok. I know that

I don't think that is necessary. I think most here speak English and are capable of reading and comprehending adequately.

Well either I missed it or you can't do it but I do no somebody saying CAP started slow, or doesn't have super fast top end speed doesn't equate to downing him or replacing him

Well either I missed it or you can't do it but I do no somebody saying CAP started slow, or doesn't have super fast top end speed doesn't equate to downing him or replacing him

The whole topic is embarrassing. Wake up!

I only got to see the last 10 minutes of the game (after the rain delay) so I'll readily admit I don't have very much to go on. I've looked up the stats but they don't always tell the whole story.

CAP looked about how I thought he would.Fairly shifty in the hole with some decent power.

Grant really surprised me. He looked to have much better vision and balance than last year. Runs extremely hard with true breakaway speed that few RBs possess.

Barber looked good on the 3 runs that he had. Again, nothing surprising. I think he's the most well-rounded back of the 3.

I'd love to hear what those of you who saw the whole game think.

It's good the way it is right now. CAP>Grant>Barber. Next week we'll see what role, if any, Roc will play this year.

Ok....I see. Well didn't they say him and Grant were both auditioning though? So it could be a good question without being disreputable per se

Ok....I see. Well didn't they say him and Grant were both auditioning though? So it could be a good question without being disreputable per se

Look, show me another fan base that questions who should be toting the rock after their number 1 RB goes off for 170 yards.

I thought they all did a fine job. Why do we have to have the one go to guy if they all are getting the job done? Keep em fresh and keep the other team guessing.

Feel free to steer clear of this embarrassing thread. Not sure if we can get by without you but we'll sure as hell try.

Look, show me another fan base that questions who should be toting the rock after their number 1 RB goes off for 170 yards.

Fan bases with 4 and 5* RBs waiting in the wings who could all have higher upsides than the game 1 starter.

Feel free to steer clear of this embarrassing thread. Not sure if we can get by without you but we'll sure as hell try.

Don't take it personal that you started a stupid thread. It happens. Now get over it.

Fan bases with 4 and 5* RBs waiting in the wings who could all have higher upsides than the game 1 starter.

Please provide an example from Saturday not a hypothesis.

Don't take it personal that you started a stupid thread. It happens. Now get over it.

Fairly certain you meant "personally".

Fairly certain you meant "personally".

Correct. LOL

Archived