CNS: "We had to go to NH, Sims was rattled..."

DKW 86

Very well stated. Alas, truth will be denied over and over by the dark pink nation......

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bama did not play a horrible game, but they are pretty lucky it was only WVU. aTm and Auburn would have embarrassed uat this past week - which is where all this talk is really leading. Maybe they get better, but it best be by leaps and bounds before these two teams show up over at JHwest. It's fairly obvious AU is right where they were to end last season at worst. aTm needs another game or two to show it was no fluke, but Sumlin is a good coach and they have had some great recruiting. I will venture to guess the offense is for real and, once again, it will all depend on their defense.

As far as the OP - Saban is trying so hard to act like he doesn't care and isn't starting to fall in line with the rest of football. The guy is smart enough to know what he is going to have to do to win - it is just that he will have to concede 'Gus made him do it'. Arrogance will be his eventual demise - kind of like going for it on 4th and 1 from the 13 during a certain game last season. Its not like he will suddenly start losing 6 games/season, but start losing 2 of aTm, LSU, and especially AU each season and grumbles will grow loud about finishing 3rd in the West. Let alone missing the playoffs now that conference championships will play a big part. I say that because I think it will be extremely tough for a 2 loss non-champ to make the top 4.

Edit: Not that he will be fired, but after seeing how upset he is over people complaining about Kiffin - I could see him taking his vast fortune and heading back to the North if they start to question him.

Brilliant; I completely agree. I am looking forward to it...for more reasons than simply "I bleed orange and blue."

aTm and Auburn would have embarrassed uat this past week

Woah, settle down there. Alabama ain't Arkansas. Not this weekend, not any weekend.

Arky will run on your precious tawd when it wants to, in due time. And you are right about arky is not bama, the refs don't walk any other team down for a score the way they do for bama!

Woah, settle down there. Alabama ain't Arkansas. Not this weekend, not any weekend.

They aren't? I wouldn't be so sure about that. They actually looked like a dysfunctional Ole Miss team to me. Good luck in Nov.

I'll revise. Considering the secondary - aTm would have embarrassed and AU would have soundly beat. WVU is not either of these teams. 4 FG's WILL NOT win these games, or keep it close.

I'll revise. Considering the secondary - aTm would have embarrassed and AU would have soundly beat. WVU is not either of these teams. 4 FG's WILL NOT win these games, or keep it close.

I'll say it again, until Auburn learns to play good defense, they won't be able to assume any game against a good opponent will be a blowout win. Against good teams last year, Auburn's average margin was +3.2 points - including two losses and two wins on the final play. And this doesn't even include Miss St.

Outside of an overrated Mizzou, Auburn hasn't soundly beaten a good team since 2010. So it amazes me that all it took was one good season for you guys to assume that Auburn is just going to steamroll people. Maybe, you know, do it the once before you assume it as a given.

And since 2007, Alabama has only been soundly beaten once - 2008 Utah. I think you underestimate how hard it is to blowout Alabama.

I'll say it again, until Auburn learns to play good defense, they won't be able to assume any game against a good opponent will be a blowout win. Against good teams last year, Auburn's average margin was +3.2 points - including two losses and two wins on the final play. And this doesn't even include Miss St.

Outside of an overrated Mizzou, Auburn hasn't soundly beaten a good team since 2010. So it amazes me that all it took was one good season for you guys to assume that Auburn is just going to steamroll people. Maybe, you know, do it the once before you assume it as a given.

And since 2007, Alabama has only been soundly beaten once - 2008 Utah. I think you underestimate how hard it is to blowout Alabama.

That's fair. And it's massively disappointing, because we were soundly beating both UGA and FSU but sh** the bed in the 2nd half both times.

Poor-poor-poor bg. Jealousy is such an ugly emotion... :nopityA:

That's fair. And it's massively disappointing, because we were soundly beating both UGA and FSU but sh** the bed in the 2nd half both times.

I think this is what you will find more and more with teams like Auburn and A&M. Look at Alabama vs A&M both years. A&M was absolutely sticking it to us, and it was a slow grind of recovery and adjustments to get back in both games. Same thing happened to UGA vs Auburn last year. They were absolutely socked in the mouth. They made adjustments, on both sides of the ball, and got back in it.

That's why I keep harping on 'until Auburn plays good defense.' Because they have a unique approach to offense that almost always gives them a good lead. The problem is maintaining that lead. If they improve on the defensive side of the ball, you'll see bigger wins and fewer shootouts.

I think this is what you will find more and more with teams like Auburn and A&M. Look at Alabama vs A&M both years. A&M was absolutely sticking it to us, and it was a slow grind of recovery and adjustments to get back in both games. Same thing happened to UGA vs Auburn last year. They were absolutely socked in the mouth. They made adjustments, on both sides of the ball, and got back in it.

That's why I keep harping on 'until Auburn plays good defense.' Because they have a unique approach to offense that almost always gives them a good lead. The problem is maintaining that lead. If they improve on the defensive side of the ball, you'll see bigger wins and fewer shootouts.

I don't think you'll find any Auburn fan who thinks that we don't need a better defense, but where you're wrong is when you say that surrendering large leads is a characteristic and/or byproduct of our offense (you're also wrong when you suggest that our offense is similar to A&M's- unless using HUNH, having great offensive linemen and scoring a helluva lot of points qualify them as similar- but that's not pertinent). There are plenty of reasons- poorly timed penalties and missed assignments, questionable changes in the play calling philosophy (why we threw a single pass in the 3rd quarter of the BCSCG, I have no idea), etc- other than "offenses like that are just like that".

You've reminded us time and again that Gus only has 1 season under his belt at Auburn as head coach. Well, that works both ways. It's fairly indefensible and shows very little insight to claim what you do above.

Edit: And, sorry, you basically just said, "If you guys play better defense, then your team will be better." And you said it as if you deserve a gold star for it. Come on, man. I'm not going to tell you to leave as others like to... but if you're going to simultaneously give yourself a reach-around while being condescending towards rival fans for saying that water is wet, then you really should do it elsewhere.

I don't think you'll find any Auburn fan who thinks that we don't need a better defense, but where you're wrong is when you say that surrendering large leads is a characteristic and/or byproduct of our offense (you're also wrong when you suggest that our offense is similar to A&M's- unless using HUNH, having great offensive linemen and scoring a helluva lot of points qualify them as similar- but that's not pertinent). There are plenty of reasons- poorly timed penalties and missed assignments, questionable changes in the play calling philosophy (why we threw a single pass in the 3rd quarter of the BCSCG, I have no idea), etc- other than "offenses like that are just like that".

You've reminded us time and again that Gus only has 1 season under his belt at Auburn as head coach. Well, that works both ways. It's fairly indefensible and shows very little insight to claim what you do above.

That's not what I took him as saying. I took him to mean that with teams like A&M and Auburn that have overwhelming offense and underwhelming defense, it is characteristic to see leads surrendered after a good opponent makes adjustments to claw back into the game. In other words, he's saying that if Auburn also played good defense consistently (as we all want), then more games would be basically settled by the third quarter without the opponent being able to claw back in to it effectively. As he said in the final sentence "...you'll see bigger wins and fewer shootouts" I did not take it as a criticism of the offense at all.

I understand it completely, refs will NOT allow it!

That's not what I took him as saying. I took him to mean that with teams like A&M and Auburn that have overwhelming offense and underwhelming defense, it is characteristic to see leads surrendered after a good opponent makes adjustments to claw back into the game. In other words, he's saying that if Auburn also played good defense consistently (as we all want), then more games would be basically settled by the third quarter without the opponent being able to claw back in to it effectively. As he said in the final sentence "...you'll see bigger wins and fewer shootouts" I did not take it as a criticism of the offense at all.

Taking his response strictly by itself, maybe not. Taking his general, ongoing disdain for Gus and our offense into account, I'm not going to beat myself up too much for my response. Remember, this is the same guys who calls it "laughably arrogant" to "suggest that bama's run game trails Auburn's in any way"... one offseason removed from the 2013 college football season.

Taking his general, ongoing disdain for Gus and our offense into account,

Wait, what? It seems like you're projecting an entire Alabama fandom of cliches on to me. I have 0.0 disdain for Gus. I think he's an excellent coach. I even said (here in fact) that after the 2012 season, Auburn made...by far...the best HC hire. As far as your offense goes, I again have no idea where you drew that conclusion. Even in my response, which you quoted, I complemented your offense and conceded that Auburn's offenses are going to get theirs regardless. How that indicates any measure of disdain, I'll never know.

Edit: And, sorry, you basically just said, "If you guys play better defense, then your team will be better." And you said it as if you deserve a gold star for it. Come on, man. I'm not going to tell you to leave as others like to... but if you're going to simultaneously give yourself a reach-around while being condescending towards rival fans for saying that water is wet, then you really should do it elsewhere.

So, basically you ignored the entire thread. People here are counting the Bama game as a blowout win, Auburn has NO history of blowout wins against good teams, Alabama has no history of blowout losses to ANY teams - and my point was that the nature of those facts will never change until you play better defense. You can't sit here and say 'we all know we need to play better defense' in the same thread where person after person is talking about how Auburn would just put Bama over a barrel if they played today. Clearly some people think your defense is good enough to slow Bama SO much that Auburn would blow Bama out.

Remember, this is the same guys who calls it "laughably arrogant" to "suggest that bama's run game trails Auburn's in any way"

You're misremembering. I merely said that you guys were overweighting a highly subjective preseason position group rating, and that you can't claim that Tre Mason wasn't a product of the system, lose Mason (and Prosch) and not expect for people to want you to show it on the field before just automatically crowning you the greatest ever (every year) - which is precisely what you guys get mad about as it relates to Alabama's preseason rankings.

I think you feel that because you veil your condescension in civility you're a superior participant in these debates beyond the cursory mouth foaming presence with their ready pitch forks and torches, hoping to run me out of town. For all of WarTim and others faults, at least they're honest about their hatred toward me. Your expectation that I come here and concede Auburn's ultimate infallibility, and provide constant - as you put it - 'reach arounds' is odd and unrealistic.

So, basically you ignored the entire thread. People here are counting the Bama game as a blowout win, Auburn has NO history of blowout wins against good teams, Alabama has no history of blowout losses to ANY teams - and my point was that the nature of those facts will never change until you play better defense. You can't sit here and say 'we all know we need to play better defense' in the same thread where person after person is talking about how Auburn would just put Bama over a barrel if they played today. Clearly some people think your defense is good enough to slow Bama SO much that Auburn would blow Bama out.

You're right, I didn't read others saying we'd blow bama out. I disagree with that notion (although I feel quite confident that we are the better football team right now). And I also originally agreed with you that we haven't blown out any good teams.

Remember, this is the same guys who calls it "laughably arrogant" to "suggest that bama's run game trails Auburn's in any way"

You're misremembering. I merely said that you guys were overweighting a highly subjective preseason position group rating, and that you can't claim that Tre Mason wasn't a product of the system, lose Mason (and Prosch) and not expect for people to want you to show it on the field before just automatically crowning you the greatest ever (every year) - which is precisely what you guys get mad about as it relates to Alabama's preseason rankings.

You're right. Massive semantic divide between what I remembered and what you actually said.

The arrogance to suggest that Alabama trails Auburn in the ability to effectively run the ball is laughable.

(Can't believe you made me dig it up http://www.aufamily....70#entry2087341)

I think you feel that because you veil your condescension in civility you're a superior participant in these debates beyond the cursory mouth foaming presence with their ready pitch forks and torches, hoping to run me out of town. For all of WarTim and others faults, at least they're honest about their hatred toward me. Your expectation that I come here and concede Auburn's ultimate infallibility, and provide constant - as you put it - 'reach arounds' is odd and unrealistic.

I don't hate you. That would require more effort than I have for anybody I've never met and who's never done anything worse to me than spew dumb stuff on a football forum. I really am glad you're here, and I have no interest in you actually leaving. But as for my "condescension" and my expectation that you "come here and concede Auburn's ultimate infallibility"... you've got it soooooo flipped. I'll say it one more time: your lack of self-awareness can be breathtaking. And while, yes, that is a cliche view of bama fans... you sure do own it on here sometimes. Again, you said this, not me:

The arrogance to suggest that Alabama trails Auburn in the ability to effectively run the ball is laughable.

When you make good points- as you often do- I will respond accordingly. When you make bad ones- as you also often do- I will respond accordingly. And you'll get my benefit of the doubt in accordance with what you've given me to go on in the past. In other words, I'll continue interacting with you on this board just like I interact with all the Auburn fans.

I'll quit gunking up the thread, but if you respond, I'll be eager to read.

You're right, I didn't read others saying we'd blow bama out. I disagree with that notion (although I feel quite confident that we are the better football team right now). And I also originally agreed with you that we haven't blown out any good teams.

You're right. Massive semantic divide between what I remembered and what you actually said.

I don't hate you. That would require more effort than I have for anybody I've never met and who's never done anything worse to me than spew dumb stuff on a football forum. I really am glad you're here, and I have no interest in you actually leaving. But as for my "condescension" and my expectation that you "come here and concede Auburn's ultimate infallibility"... you've got it soooooo flipped. I'll say it one more time: your lack of self-awareness can be breathtaking. And while, yes, that is a cliche view of bama fans... you sure do own it on here sometimes. Again, you said this, not me:

When you make good points- as you often do- I will respond accordingly. When you make bad ones- as you also often do- I will respond accordingly. And you'll get my benefit of the doubt in accordance with what you've given me to go on in the past. In other words, I'll continue interacting with you on this board just like I interact with all the Auburn fans.

McLoofus, wow, well said! I think he's just here to LEARN. Just to LEARN. Just to LEARN. (Third time the charm?)

I suppose what is learned is up to him--and it may take more than a second. Message boards are for learners and spewers. Though we each have the capacity to be both, I am going to believe the best of BG and believe he is here to LEARN. :jossun:

McLoofus, wow, well said! I think he's just here to LEARN. Just to LEARN. Just to LEARN. (Third time the charm?)

I suppose what is learned is up to him--and it may take more than a second. Message boards are for learners and spewers. Though we each have the capacity to be both, I am going to believe the best of BG and believe he is here to LEARN. :jossun:/>

Agreed

I think, right now, Auburn would beat Alabama. Based on what I've seen from one game this year, and all I saw last year, I don't think Auburn would blow any good teams out (I think we both agree on these). However, like the inverse of last year, I think Alabama has more improvement room than does Auburn. Whether or not Alabama makes those improvements is completely in question.

If I were doing a very fluid top 5, I'd have Auburn ahead of Alabama, Oklahoma, and FSU.

I think Alabama splits A&M and AU this year. Too early for me to decide which one I'd select as the loss, but I don't see us coming out of both of those two games unscathed. From what we'll face this year in terms of opposing offenses, those are the only two teams that worry me.

However, like the inverse of last year, I think Alabama has more improvement room than does Auburn.

Agree. This is the first time since '08 that I've wished we were you playing you early rather than late.

I think Alabama splits A&M and AU this year. Too early for me to decide which one I'd select as the loss, but I don't see us coming out of both of those two games unscathed. From what we'll face this year in terms of opposing offenses, those are the only two teams that worry me.

Yeah. Looking like our own little circle of hell this season (hopefully LSU takes a break from form... and the MS schools are pretenders). Ouch, SECW, ouch. Again.

However, like the inverse of last year, I think Alabama has more improvement room than does Auburn.

Agree. This is the first time since '08 that I've wished we were you playing you early rather than late.

Yeah. Looking like our own little circle of hell this season (hopefully LSU takes a break from form... and the MS schools are pretenders). Ouch, SECW, ouch. Again.

Common ground is always nice. Too many wild cards, period...any team that survives the SECW deserves to be lauded. Despite our unforgiveable schedule, I like our chances.

P.S. Also hoping MS schools are pretenders...have been to date. Any given Saturday...

Honestly, Ole Miss didn't impress me in their opener either. Bo Wallace was hyped all offseason only slightly less than Coker. The problem with Ole Miss is that they don't even feign interest in a run game. And that's fine if you're A&M. But it's not fine if you have Bo Wallace at the helm.

Archived