CNS: "We had to go to NH, Sims was rattled..."

DKW 86

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sims indeed played as good as possible. The rest of uat "team", not so much...

Yeah, two backs over 100 yards, no sacks allowed by the oline, and a WR over 100 yards. The rest of the team was terrible.

...and an uninspired win over a team that is expected to go no more than .500 this year.

http://www.cbssports...nce-predictions

CBS picked them to finish 8/10 in the Big 12.

With all do respect, the hogs were picked to finish last in the sec west. I guess both wins were uninspired.

No, actually beating a SEC West Team by 24, holding them to 52 yards in the second half, after they pretty much sold out prepping for this game for a year, i am fine with the effort.

As for end of year records, i do not think Arky will end the season at .500 The Sec West is just too tough this year. But SEC West. The premier division in NCAA Football is completely different from being an also ran in a Conference that is essentially the Big 4, OU, KSU, Baylor, Texas, in that order 2014.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2165091-college-football-2014-big-12-conference-predictions/page/10

West Virginia

Prediction: 3-9, 2-7 (9th in Big 12)

Dana Holgorsen was forced to use three different quarterbacks in a 2013 season that saw the Mountaineers fail to have a winning record or receive a bowl bid. The program hadn’t had a losing record since its first season under Rich Rodriguez back in 2001.

If the offense can’t convert when it needs to and the defense doesn’t make any improvement, things could get interesting for Holgorsen’s future in Morgantown.

Offense

The key to success for the offense will be the performance of senior quarterback Clint Trickett, who battled through a shoulder injury and concussions for most of last season. While Trickett (1,605 yards, seven TDs) will start in the season opener against Alabama, the backup position will be left to senior Paul Millard, junior college transfer Skyler Howard or walk-on Logan Moore.

Despite West Virginia’s offensive struggles last season, the passing game ranked 34th in the country with 262.3 yards per game. Senior wide receiver Mario Alford, who averaged 20.4 yards per catch, will look to be the main target in a passing game, which also includes returning starters Kevin White (507 yards, five TDs) and Daikiel Shorts (495 yards, two TDs).

The run game is without 1,000-yard rusher Charles Sims but should still be among the best in the Big 12 with Pittsburgh transfer Rushel Shell, Dreamius Smith and Andrew Buie leading the way. The Mountaineers rushing attack will look for help up front from second-team All-Big 12 senior left guard Quinton Spain and senior right guard Mark Glowinski.

Defense

Defense hasn’t been a strength for West Virginia the past few seasons. It finished no better than 90th in the country in the four defensive categories, as opponents racked up 33.3 points per game and 455 yards per game. There should be improvement this season, though, as Tony Gibson will take over the defense and implement a 3-4 scheme.

One of the biggest surprises heading into the season will be the secondary, which was the biggest weakness for the defense the past two seasons. Sophomore Daryl Worley has the potential to be one of the best corners in the country, after he started five games last season and had a solid spring. Worley will be joined by potential All-Big 12 junior safety Karl Joseph (68 tackles, one interception), as well as senior corner Ishmael Banks and either Jeremy Tyler or Dravon Henry at the other safety spot.

The linebacking corps will be another strength for the Mountaineers with the experience of second-team All-Big 12 junior Nick Kwiatkoski, junior Isaiah Bruce and senior Brandon Golson. Kwiatkoski led the team with 86 tackles last season, while Bruce and Golson combined for 84 tackles.

The defensive line will be the biggest weakness with nose tackle Kyle Rose being the only returning starter. The line also was one of the worst in the country last season, as it only registered 16 total sacks.

Schedule Analysis

West Virginia will have a huge test in Week 1 when it travels to Atlanta to take on SEC heavyweight Alabama. The rest of September includes Towson, Maryland and Big 12 conference contender Oklahoma. Finishing .500 after the first four games would at least give the team a little momentum heading into a difficult October schedule.

A home win over Kansas on Oct. 4 should be a guaranteed win, but other than that, games against Texas Tech, Baylor and Oklahoma State will be an uphill battle.

The Mountaineers finish the season with a road games at Texas (Nov. 8) and Iowa State (Nov. 29), as well as a home game against Kansas State (Nov. 20). Winning two of the final three games could be possible, as West Virginia has had close games with both Texas and Iowa State the past two seasons. Holgorsen’s squad will player better this year, but expect a disappointing three-win season.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/arkansas-football-predictions-2014/

2014 PROJECTED FINISH: 3-9, 0-8

THE LOWDOWN: Arkansas will be more competitive in Bret Bielema’s second season with several losses late coming in the fourth quarter, but 3-9′s still 3-9. It’s difficult to establish any tremor of momentum in the SEC West at a struggling program, but Bielema needs to provide the fanbase with some hope for the future. An upset win — or two — would help.

BIG difference. Ark is an SEC team. If uat played as they did Saturday , they would lose to KY or Vandy. Truth , it's a beautiful thing. Hahahaha

Perhaps Saban is just getting tired (or afraid) of the pressures of D-1 college ball, thinks he might enjoy coaching a little high school ball in his sunset years, and felt a need to get some experience with what his fans generally refer to as a "high school" offense? :rolleyes:

Obviously, uat has been working on the HUNH a lot this summer. It wasn't an after thought during the game. You don't just say in the middle of a game, "hey let's go no huddle for a while to see if our QB settles down". As much as weeman has complained about it, he sees the advantages. After all, he is just 'putting players in a position to perform at their highest level and help their team the most, aight.'

So he obviously DOES NOT CARE about the SAFETY and well being of his players...right???

So he obviously DOES NOT CARE about the SAFETY and well being of his players...right???

Apparently not. It never was about safety, as we all know. It was always about him being able to situation substitute as he likes to do.

Surely you are not suggesting the munchkin mayor of west vance was LYING???

BIG difference. Ark is an SEC team. If uat played as they did Saturday , they would lose to KY or Vandy. Truth , it's a beautiful thing. Hahahaha

Ark is a SEC school that didn't win a conference game last year.

2013 record: 4–8 (2–7 Big 12)

Conference: Big 12 Conference

West Virginia sure blew up the Big 12 last season too huh?

See 2013 Auburn. Your point? You do have one...right?

Ark is a SEC school that didn't win a conference game last year.

I'm not sure which is worse, zero wins in a tough SEC or 2-7 in a struggling Big 12. WVU was 4-8 overall last year and one of those wins was D1-AA and one of the others was Georgia State.

Again, logic-facts- honesty are wasted on fans of west vance...

Good to know that the previous year is all that matters the next year. Guess they should take Auburn's 2013 SEC Championship away since they wen't 3-9 the year before. Did you even watch the game?

Good to know that the previous year is all that matters the next year. Guess they should take Auburn's 2013 SEC Championship away since they wen't 3-9 the year before. Did you even watch the game?

Are you mentally challenged? Seriously? Or do you talk to hear yourself talk? You just said the same thing.

CORRECTION. ...That wasn't you..it was Etown4bammer. ..but nice of you to cherry pick my response.

Talk to Etown. He's the one who brought up last year's records meaning something.

Yeah, two backs over 100 yards, no sacks allowed by the oline, and a WR over 100 yards. The rest of the team was terrible.

...and an uninspired win over a team that is expected to go no more than .500 this year.

With all do respect, the hogs were picked to finish last in the sec west. I guess both wins were uninspired.

Yes, one team won by 24 while milking the clock, the other by 10.

Yes, one team won by 24 while milking the clock, the other by 10.

Ethan and i were being ugly at the end of the game. We were chanting "Fiddy-Two" over and over when we let the clock run out.

Guest jojo1515

‎

‎

I watched the game. I saw bama up by 7 be given a free first down when a 3rd down scramble came up short and Sims bumped into a player on the sideline, thus preventing bama from punting and earning them another 3 points that they didnt earn. I saw WV 1st and goal from the 5 down by 10 (should have been 7 without the refs giving bama 3 free points). I then saw a wide open TE drop a pass walking into the endzone unaccounted for. Next a light PI not called and another dropped pass in the endzone. Next a bad snap that forced a field goal instead of a td...where an even average team would have capitalized on one of those with a td (thus tying the game had the refs not given bama 3 points). I also saw WV miss a less than 30 yard fg earlier which would have matched bamas last field goal, thus without a terrible call by the refs and even a halfway decent team would have sent the game into overtime.

Is that this year enough for you? Im sure these things that actually happened in the game and could have very easily had alabama in OT against a terrible team dont actually matter either. BTW, before you argue; I just watched the replay and all these things really happened.

BTW, before you argue; I just watched the replay and all these things really happened.

Weird, you must have watched a different game.

I saw bama up by 7 be given a free first down when a 3rd down scramble came up short and Sims bumped into a player on the sideline

You left out what happened the play before that - you know, the 50 yard bomb that hit Christian Jones in the hands on the 10 yardline, within nobody within 10 yards of him...So you conveniently take away points for some bad call, yet I don't get to conveniently add points for a play that's converted 9/10 times.

I saw WV 1st and goal from the 5 down by 10 (should have been 7 without the refs giving bama 3 free points). I then saw a wide open TE drop a pass walking into the endzone unaccounted for.

That was a FB, and he didn't drop it, it was a bad throw. A rushed throw because pressuring. It was an awkward throw on a hard rollout for an immobile QB.

Next a light PI not called

You mean this "PI?" You're on drugs if you think that would be called PI. And how on earth was that a 'dropped pass?'

https://www.youtube....PgeN1dLQ#t=7611

Next a bad snap that forced a field goal instead of a td

Wait...what? Why are you awarding them a TD on that play if not for the bad snap? They ran 5 other plays that night from inside the 5 and came away with 0 TDs on those, but magically, this was going to be the one?

I also saw WV miss a less than 30 yard fg earlier which would have matched bamas last field goal

By "less than 30" yard field goal, did you mean 47? (Notice where he's kicking the ball from, then check your math)

https://www.youtube....PgeN1dLQ#t=6039

Your synopsis of the game has to be one of the most egregious cases of 'you see what you want to see.' You're awarding points for 'less than 30 yard field goals' to the other team - when they missed them, and were from 47 yards out (on 4th and 15 no less). You're awarding touchdowns on drives where they never got into the end zone. And of course, you're blaming the refs.

Your 'before you argue' line was cute - since you clearly just wanted to be able to spout off a bunch of undfounded bs without being checked on it.

I haven't watched the entire game but I did watch the long pass to Christian Jones that he dropped. You say 9/10 times it's caught and I agree but it's typically the other team that catches one like that. Sims threw that ball up like a punt and it could just of easily been picked off if the WV player looked up. Both teams got away with one on that play.

Bama did not play a horrible game, but they are pretty lucky it was only WVU. aTm and Auburn would have embarrassed uat this past week - which is where all this talk is really leading. Maybe they get better, but it best be by leaps and bounds before these two teams show up over at JHwest. It's fairly obvious AU is right where they were to end last season at worst. aTm needs another game or two to show it was no fluke, but Sumlin is a good coach and they have had some great recruiting. I will venture to guess the offense is for real and, once again, it will all depend on their defense.

As far as the OP - Saban is trying so hard to act like he doesn't care and isn't starting to fall in line with the rest of football. The guy is smart enough to know what he is going to have to do to win - it is just that he will have to concede 'Gus made him do it'. Arrogance will be his eventual demise - kind of like going for it on 4th and 1 from the 13 during a certain game last season. Its not like he will suddenly start losing 6 games/season, but start losing 2 of aTm, LSU, and especially AU each season and grumbles will grow loud about finishing 3rd in the West. Let alone missing the playoffs now that conference championships will play a big part. I say that because I think it will be extremely tough for a 2 loss non-champ to make the top 4.

Edit: Not that he will be fired, but after seeing how upset he is over people complaining about Kiffin - I could see him taking his vast fortune and heading back to the North if they start to question him.

Archived