Auburn released from SACS probation

TitanTiger

I got this via email. It's a press release. I'll provide a link ASAP. There goes the only recruiting edge some of our rivals had on us.

The Associated Press 

ATLANTA (AP) - Auburn University has been released from academic probation by its accrediting agency, officials announced Tuesday.

The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools placed Auburn on probation last year, citing in part a finding of micromanagement by trustees. A recent report by SACS said it wasn't satisfied with Auburn's effort to get off probation and that the school would have to do more to prove that some trustees don't improperly control or influence other board members.

At its annual meeting in Atlanta, SACS cleared Auburn, after its interim president Ed Richardson and Alabama Gov. Bob Riley spent Friday meeting with officials in an effort to convince them that the school has made enough management improvements to get off probation.

If Auburn had lost its accreditation, the school wouldn't be able to get federal funds and students' degrees might not be accepted elsewhere.

AMEN! I have a Bama fan at work that keeps throwing the SACS thing in my face, just because she doesn't have a football team that is worth talking smack about. This will finally shut her up!

Oh yeah, and it is good for recruiting, and the university as a whole...

I said all along that this was much ado about NOTHING.

They were NEVER gonna' pull AU's status. Just a little muscle flexing goin' on.

(Although it did give "certain" coaches something to lie about on the recruiting trail.) :)

I wonder, what lies will they attempt to spread this time around?

Anyway, We are 12-0 (Undefeated SEC CHAMPIONS) and headed to the Big Easy.....God is in His Heaven and ALL is right with the world ! !

WAR EAGLE....O N E at a time. :au:

Academic probation is what cost us a lot in recruiting last year.

But FAR more importantly, the school is back (almost) to where it should be.

130145[/snapback]

It'll never be where it should be until Lowder and Richardson are gone.

130145[/snapback]

130161[/snapback]

Strey.....like Tigermike said, why don't you worry about about Paul Bryant, Jr. first. :poke:

130145[/snapback]

130161[/snapback]

#1 Not gonna' happen. :big:

#2 aren't you a uat fan?..... :P

As much as some people don't like it, Louder pumps alot of money into AU. He uses it to his advantage sometimes, but that money really helps AU.

After I win the Lottery I will then complain that Lowder's Money is too much influence, when and only when, I can contribute like him.

Did any of you listen to Finebaum this afternoon? He had interview with Paul Davis, of the Opelika newspaper. PF asked about Auburn getting good news from SACS. Davis sounded absolutely despondent over the good news. PF & Vickers both commented on it and it seemed that Davis couldn't wait to get thru. He went off on a rant about Lowder & the BOT. Finebaum called him out and pointed out that several things said by Davis were inaccurate and untrue. I was struck by Davis saying several times, "we can't help Auburn", "we can't make Auburn what,,,". When did he become a supporter of Auburn University? Isn't he a alumnus of UofA? I have heard that he used to write for the Tuscaloosa News and while there lived next door to Bear Bryant.

PT and WT, I think you both forget: I go to Auburn! This affects me just as much as any other student on AU's campus!

There, maybe this time ya'll will remember. ;)

SACS lifts AU probation, reaccredits university

Jack Stripling

Staff Writer

Tuesday, December 7, 2004

- A relaxed and grinning Ed Richardson entered the third floor of the Marriott Marquis hotel in Atlanta Tuesday morning, striding with the confidence of a man who will be forever credited with ending Auburn University's long battle with its accrediting agency.

It is officially over: The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools has removed AU's probation and re-affirmed its accreditation for the next 10 years.

But a lingering question for AU's interim president remains: Can there finally be healing on a campus long marred by public strife and discontent?

"I don't think the hostility will completely disappear," Richardson said. "I think you've got some people who are pushing different agendas which are not what's in the best interest of Auburn. I think they'll still be out there pushing it. You'll always have people that are easily persuaded. But, if you're asking overall, I really do believe this is going to enable us (to move forward)."

Auburn faithful will no doubt be watching to see how the last nagging chapter of the SACS episode plays out. AU still has to submit a follow-up report in September, which Richardson says will be focused on criteria for evaluating AU presidents and the trustees' conflict of interest policy. The present policy requires trustees to sever business ties between each other if such relationships violate the board's Code of Ethics. It appears SACS doesn't think the policy has enough teeth.

"I anticipate there will have to be some procedures for sanctions," Richardson said.

Richardson didn't elaborate on what those sanctions would be, but he said he'd likely encourage trustees to adopt a tougher policy at their April meeting.

James Rogers, executive director of SACS, said the agency plans to keep its eye on AU, but he gave a positive review of the steps the university has taken since it was placed on probation exactly a year ago Wednesday.

"They have addressed the issues and it's been a challenging period for the university," Rogers said.

Richardson issued a statement of reconciliation Tuesday, directed to what is perhaps the only institution in the country that commonly calls itself a "family": "I am convinced that if all Auburn people put aside whatever differences may have existed in the past and concentrate on working together for the common good, this university's future will be filled with promise.

For more of this story and extended coverage of the lifting of AU's probation, pick up tomorrow's edition of the Opelika-Auburn News.

LINK

"I am convinced that if all Auburn people put aside whatever differences may have existed in the past and concentrate on working together for the common good, this university's future will be filled with promise.

What a hypocrit. Richardson came in as a supposed "cleaner" to fix the post-jetgate mess and restructure the administration to achieve a "less vocal" outcome.

He made a harsh example of a few people and sent a clear message to others within the administration. Classic power maneuvers engineered by none other than you-know-who.

I'm still optimistic there may yet be some substanitive changes, but don't kid yourself, there were no changes made here.

Archived