Week 3 Notes - Sunday Update (9/07/14)

RunInRed

Roberts looks lost. At this point, I'd be surprised to see him on the field other than mop up duty. Who are the other true freshmen getting PT? Ruffin's not playing CB or Safety. He was on the field at Star (as best I could tell from our alignments). Has Bessent actually played? I missed it. Needless to say, I don't expect a ton of help from those guys this year. Whitehead, Ford, Moncrief at Safety; Mincy, Holsey, Jones (personal opinion, he's been the least solid guy in the secondary), and Reed at CB. From what we've seen, I'll be surprised to see other guys on the field when our rotations tighten against good teams.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems with Ellis we are going to have to deal with an average defense. I am not impressed. I can not believe we have that little ability in the secondary and at linebacker and on the DL that we can not man handle teams like spartans at the line of scrimmage.There is no reason for wide open receivers and missed assignments from JRS AND SRS. (DLespecially on the qb scrambles).... Maybe i am wrong and we still have not the experience or talent...or etc...

I see us outscoring ...... if we put away the mistakes and timing problems we had saturday. I think coates not being there put a kink in the rhythm and threw everyone else out of timing and place. We will see. Home field advantage can not be counted out. I see us winning by 10

What are you talking about? We've given up one (fluke) touchdown in the last 6 quarters and are in the top 50 defensively. Monty Adams manhandled SJSU's line and McKenzy was flying to the ball. Not to mention 3 interceptions. With you the glass isn't half empty, it is empty.

San Jose State...SAN JOSE STATE...rolled up big plays and big yards on our starters of this edition of Ellisball. Of the many head scratching issues he's bringing to the table this year, being apparently utterly unprepared for most of the first quarter against juggernauts Arky and SJS is tops. Do that against KState...or most of our remaining opponents...and we're in a 3-4 TD hole. Late in the game SJS was still ripping off big plays against our starters. Ellis needs to donate about half his paycheck to Gus & Rhett. His quote about 60 of the 77 defensive plays being "about as good as you'll ever see" is laughably clueless.

Did Ellis Johnson kick your dog while you were in Auburn? Give it a rest already. It's like your constant complaining about our defense never ends. Our defense is absolutely better then it was last year.

I picture clowns like you having your fingers in your ears goin "la la la la la". Apparently Ellis kicked Gus's dog too. 20 first downs allowed against San Jose State and last I checked defense is a significant part of a football game. Not nit picking. Ellis appreciates you sniffing his boxers.

I really think you are barking up the wrong tree with Ellis. Not his fault he does not have much to work with at LBer, which I said this spring would be the weak link to the D, and in the secondary. Whitehead is just bad. Jones and Mincey are serviceable. Hosley is having a hard time getting back into the grove after he tore his knee up. Lets see how Ellis does when the younger and more talented guys get some more playing time under their belt.

And what Ellis Johnson did last year with that D was amazing. This is what Joey Jones told a couple of us over the spring. Joey Jones is the head coach at South Alabama and an ex-uat WR. FWIW.

Well, that clown Jones obviously is a complete dummy. He certainly doesn't know football like aucancktiger. Excuse me while I put my fingers in my ears and continue singing.

Sorry. I just couldn't help it :)

I too think Ellis is doing a great job rebuilding this defense. I don't think that we have the talent on the defensive side that we need to. That's why I believe that we need to load up on defensive players to finish out the 10 remaining spots in this year's recruiting class. With that being said, WDE got me thinking with one of earlier questions...

Ellis Johnson is 62 years old. Most people would think that he will be retiring in a couple of years. So my question is this.... After Ellis retires, which current coach on the hot seat do you want to get fired and end up as our DC? Charlie Strong, Will Muschamp, or Derek Mason?

I too think Ellis is doing a great job rebuilding this defense. I don't think that we have the talent on the defensive side that we need to. That's why I believe that we need to load up on defensive players to finish out the 10 remaining spots in this year's recruiting class. With that being said, WDE got me thinking with one of earlier questions...

Ellis Johnson is 62 years old. Most people would think that he will be retiring in a couple of years. So my question is this.... After Ellis retires, which current coach on the hot seat do you want to get fired and end up as our DC? Charlie Strong, Will Muschamp, or Derek Mason?

If one of these guys was to come back as a DC I like Strong. He has worked with an offensive minded coach before and understands how the HUNH works better. I honestly don't think Gus would go in that direction. I actually think RG might get the nod.

If one of these guys was to come back as a DC I like Strong. He has worked with an offensive minded coach before and understands how the HUNH works better. I honestly don't think Gus would go in that direction. I actually think RG might get the nod.

It would surprise me absolutely none if Garner is being groomed to take over for Johnson, whenever CEJ does decide to retire.

Johnson says Gimel President made some plays in his first extensive action at DE

Great to see the Prez getting some reps to build more DE depth.

Johnson says Jeff Whitaker is dealing with irritating knee injury

This is a pure bummer for JW...here's to hoping it doesn't worsens and possibly affect playing time.

It seems with Ellis we are going to have to deal with an average defense. I am not impressed. I can not believe we have that little ability in the secondary and at linebacker and on the DL that we can not man handle teams like spartans at the line of scrimmage.There is no reason for wide open receivers and missed assignments from JRS AND SRS. (DLespecially on the qb scrambles).... Maybe i am wrong and we still have not the experience or talent...or etc...

I see us outscoring ...... if we put away the mistakes and timing problems we had saturday. I think coates not being there put a kink in the rhythm and threw everyone else out of timing and place. We will see. Home field advantage can not be counted out. I see us winning by 10

I think you have answered your own question. Remember 2010 was with Tubbs recruits who were seniors, etc...So players that this staff has recruited are Monty, Daniel, Lawson, etc...so...not saying that the JRs and seniors are bad but they were not recruited to run CEJ's style of Defense...I think that they are doing much better in their second year. We also have some injuries and some of the JUCOs have stepped up to take a starting position. It may be a little early but some of the guys need to step into it and the Freshmen are still learning...So it will take some time ...

Some solid points in this segment of your response.

People might as well come to grips with the real possibility that year 3 will likely be the first opportunity where the defense comes close to resembling those that most of us recall from < 2007. This team went through a stretch of four consecutive seasons of subpar defensive coaching. I do not remember a stretch in the modern era of Auburn football where this occurred. Instead of primarily installing a new scheme (which was typically the biggest hurdle under regimes pre-Chizik) the new staff was instead reteaching basic fundamentals to everyone, including upperclassmen, especially during Spring practice '13.

Short memoritis causes some to forget that it wasn't that long ago when the offense had to outscore teams like these.. Arkansas St, Ball St, Furman, Monroe, Utah State ring any bells?

That being said, there is so much more football remaining in 2014 , which means there's plenty of room for mid-season improvements.

Archived