Week 3 Notes - Sunday Update (9/07/14)

RunInRed

I don't understand the handwringing about the Auburn defensive performance thus far.

As I dropped in another thread

Take away the 75 yard td pass and the SJ qb ends up with 179 yards on 18-31 passing. And SJSU finishes with 244 total yards. Almost 25% of their entire offensive production from scrimmage came on one play. SJ ran 77 plays so the defense did pretty good on the other 76. 3.21 yards per play.

This makes to much sense. I'm surprised the server hosting this forum didnt completely burn up during 2012!

I would venture to say there is a decent percentage of fans that are dogging the defense now that probably became Tiders during 2012.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's 2014. Offenses are gonna make some plays. I am concerned about our lack of a pass rush (San Jose doesn't count as far as I'm concerned) and the challenges involved in playing a team that has both a running QB and a superior receiver. All that said, K-State will make their plays, but I just think we're better overall.

And how nice is it to see a defense taking turnovers! Remember when that never happened?

;DI am willing to give up as many as three big plays per game this year, as long as we win them all by 46 or better. ;D

I see us getting K-State in 2nd and long and 3rd and long in many situations and then Waters running that QB draw for a first down, which will be quite frustrating. Gotta have a spy or something. Hopefully Ellis has something prepared. He adjusted to SJSU having their QB scrambling, I think he had Cassanova as a spy at one point.

It's so frustrating watching teams convert 3rd and LONG on us.

The same 3rd down defense that generated 2 picks and 3 sacks the last game?

Yep. That one. Not sure if your seeking an argument or what b/c I've clearly stated numerous times I think we'll get better with each week on defense. But that is certainly one of our issues and the stats don't lie that it is and has been for a while. Point most people are stating is that we need to clean up some things and get stronger on defense if we expect to make another run at the NC. Doesn't mean the sky is falling...it means it is what it is.

Sure there are some things we can clean up, but the defense isn't awful like people think. Just go watch the 2012 team play and you'll realize real quick that the defense is in a pretty good place right now.

I call it a fluke because 9 out of 10 times that play doesn't go 75 yards.

Was the "Kick 6" a fluke? Ricardo's play against UGA? Those things happen less than 9 out of 10 times but I still don't look at them as flukes. Sometimes big plays are designed right and work no matter the odds. WDE.

The Prayer at Jordan-Hare was a fluke and luck. Yes. I'm happy to be lucky from time to time. I welcome Lady Luck with open arms, and I'm not ashamed of winning on a lucky bounce. A lot went into putting ourselves in position to benefit from a lucky bounce, but that play was 99% luck.

The Prayer at Jordan-Hare was a fluke and luck. Yes. I'm happy to be lucky from time to time. I welcome Lady Luck with open arms, and I'm not ashamed of winning on a lucky bounce. A lot went into putting ourselves in position to benefit from a lucky bounce, but that play was 99% luck.

Yes. The miracle at Jordan Hare was an absolute fluke. They could try that over and over again and idk if they could pull it off one time out of a hundred. However, as the saying goes, "Luck is when hard work meets opportunity." The Ricardo Louis play doesn't take away the fact we dominated 3/4 of that game, whereas SJSU didn't dominate any of the game Saturday. That is the difference.

It seems with Ellis we are going to have to deal with an average defense. I am not impressed. I can not believe we have that little ability in the secondary and at linebacker and on the DL that we can not man handle teams like spartans at the line of scrimmage.There is no reason for wide open receivers and missed assignments from JRS AND SRS. (DLespecially on the qb scrambles).... Maybe i am wrong and we still have not the experience or talent...or etc...

I see us outscoring ...... if we put away the mistakes and timing problems we had saturday. I think coates not being there put a kink in the rhythm and threw everyone else out of timing and place. We will see. Home field advantage can not be counted out. I see us winning by 10

What are you talking about? We've given up one (fluke) touchdown in the last 6 quarters and are in the top 50 defensively. Monty Adams manhandled SJSU's line and McKenzy was flying to the ball. Not to mention 3 interceptions. With you the glass isn't half empty, it is empty.

San Jose State...SAN JOSE STATE...rolled up big plays and big yards on our starters of this edition of Ellisball. Of the many head scratching issues he's bringing to the table this year, being apparently utterly unprepared for most of the first quarter against juggernauts Arky and SJS is tops. Do that against KState...or most of our remaining opponents...and we're in a 3-4 TD hole. Late in the game SJS was still ripping off big plays against our starters. Ellis needs to donate about half his paycheck to Gus & Rhett. His quote about 60 of the 77 defensive plays being "about as good as you'll ever see" is laughably clueless.

Did Ellis Johnson kick your dog while you were in Auburn? Give it a rest already. It's like your constant complaining about our defense never ends. Our defense is absolutely better then it was last year.

Just for the record...

FSU gave up 322 total yards to the 0-2 Citadel this last weekend....I would be willing to bet that San Jose would beat the Citadel if they met.

I don't understand the handwringing about the Auburn defensive performance thus far.

As I dropped in another thread

Take away the 75 yard td pass and the SJ qb ends up with 179 yards on 18-31 passing. And SJSU finishes with 244 total yards. Almost 25% of their entire offensive production from scrimmage came on one play. SJ ran 77 plays so the defense did pretty good on the other 76. 3.21 yards per play.

This makes to much sense. I'm surprised the server hosting this forum didnt completely burn up during 2012!

Did Auburn field a football team in 2012? I have no memories of it....

What I see is a W on the score sheet. Is it frustrating sometimes watching the defense, sure it is. At the end of the day all I want to see is a W. Nobody cares how our D looked last year, all I cared about was 12-1 and hoped for 13-1, but that didn't work out. Don't be like the other university and nitpick every little thing that goes wrong.

It seems with Ellis we are going to have to deal with an average defense. I am not impressed. I can not believe we have that little ability in the secondary and at linebacker and on the DL that we can not man handle teams like spartans at the line of scrimmage.There is no reason for wide open receivers and missed assignments from JRS AND SRS. (DLespecially on the qb scrambles).... Maybe i am wrong and we still have not the experience or talent...or etc...

I see us outscoring ...... if we put away the mistakes and timing problems we had saturday. I think coates not being there put a kink in the rhythm and threw everyone else out of timing and place. We will see. Home field advantage can not be counted out. I see us winning by 10

What are you talking about? We've given up one (fluke) touchdown in the last 6 quarters and are in the top 50 defensively. Monty Adams manhandled SJSU's line and McKenzy was flying to the ball. Not to mention 3 interceptions. With you the glass isn't half empty, it is empty.

San Jose State...SAN JOSE STATE...rolled up big plays and big yards on our starters of this edition of Ellisball. Of the many head scratching issues he's bringing to the table this year, being apparently utterly unprepared for most of the first quarter against juggernauts Arky and SJS is tops. Do that against KState...or most of our remaining opponents...and we're in a 3-4 TD hole. Late in the game SJS was still ripping off big plays against our starters. Ellis needs to donate about half his paycheck to Gus & Rhett. His quote about 60 of the 77 defensive plays being "about as good as you'll ever see" is laughably clueless.

Did Ellis Johnson kick your dog while you were in Auburn? Give it a rest already. It's like your constant complaining about our defense never ends. Our defense is absolutely better then it was last year.

I picture clowns like you having your fingers in your ears goin "la la la la la". Apparently Ellis kicked Gus's dog too. 20 first downs allowed against San Jose State and last I checked defense is a significant part of a football game. Not nit picking. Ellis appreciates you sniffing his boxers.

Let's be honest. Ellis is old. He doesn't wear boxers, he wears whitey tighties. Gah you can't get anything right aucanucktiger lol

I picture clowns like you having your fingers in your ears goin "la la la la la". Apparently Ellis kicked Gus's dog too. 20 first downs allowed against San Jose State and last I checked defense is a significant part of a football game. Not nit picking. Ellis appreciates you sniffing his boxers.

2013 Stats:

RK TEAM YDS YDS/G PASS P YDS/G RUSH R YDS/G PTS PTS/G

31 San Jose State 5919 493 4271 355.9 1648 137.3 389 32.4

32 Alabama 5903 454 3230 248.5 2673 205.6 496 38.2

33 LSU 5893 453 3263 251.0 2630 202.3 465 35.8

34 South Carolina 5880 452 3300 253.8 2580 198.5 443 34.1

35 Oklahoma State 5834 449 3599 276.8 2235 171.9 508 39.1

I know that SJS doesn't play the same schedule as #32-35 there, but we played a decent offense on Sat. They got 254 passing yards on us, but we got 3 interceptions to their 1 long TD. We held them to 1.4 yards per rush. They scored 13 points on us (7 of which came on 1 bad play). The AU defense isn't as great as we'd all like it to be, but it's good and continuing to improve. And when the AU offense is scoring >50 ppg, the defense has a little cushion. Try to be happy--we're 2-0!

Id give up 50 first downs if it ment we held them to 13 points only 1 td. First downs give you nothing more than an opportunity to score and eat some clock. You can still win the game with 500 or just 1. Doesnt change much but time of possession

I really think you are barking up the wrong tree with Ellis. Not his fault he does not have much to work with at LBer, which I said this spring would be the weak link to the D, and in the secondary. Whitehead is just bad. Jones and Mincey are serviceable. Hosley is having a hard time getting back into the grove after he tore his knee up. Lets see how Ellis does when the younger and more talented guys get some more playing time under their belt.

And what Ellis Johnson did last year with that D was amazing. This is what Joey Jones told a couple of us over the spring. Joey Jones is the head coach at South Alabama and an ex-uat WR. FWIW.

My 2 cents... The AU defense can be the Seve Ballesteros of college football D's as far as I'm concerned. Dude never hit a drive straight. Hitting from bunkers, rough, under trees, out of parking lots... but still shot 65 a walked away with the trophy. The D can give up 750 yards but if they can keep scores under 35 the odds are that AU will come away with the W almost every time.

My 2 cents... The AU defense can be the Seve Ballesteros of college football D's as far as I'm concerned. Dude never hit a drive straight. Hitting from bunkers, rough, under trees, out of parking lots... but still shot 65 a walked away with the trophy. The D can give up 750 yards but if they can keep scores under 35 the odds are that AU will come away with the W almost every time.

No way AU's D should ever give up 35 consistently. I get what you are saying. We need AU's to to be around 25 or better in total D. And that is Ellis and Gus's goal.

And for all of you Ellis haters who do you feel would be better coaching AU's D? Just curious. The Ole Ball coach sure wishes he had Ellis back.

No way AU's D should ever give up 35 consistently. I get what you are saying. We need AU's to to be around 25 or better in total D. And that is Ellis and Gus's goal.

And for all of you Ellis haters who do you feel would be better coaching AU's D? Just curious. The Ole Ball coach sure wishes he had Ellis back.

Completely agree with you. The D definitely should not, and I don't think WILL, give up those kind of points. That was just the number I chose based on my opinion that Malzahn's offense should not, and I don't think WILL :jossun: ever score less than 35. With that said, I'd much prefer a Dye D or Tubs D but in this "day and age" of college football, I truly believe dominant D's will take time to come back. This is the "juiced ball" age of college football offense..... and I'm OK with that!

I can remember the defenses of the late 80s too. That's just not a realistic expectation in this era of College Football.

Our defense is better than it was, and it is improving.

Relax and enjoy! It's going to be a fun year!

WDEWDE, agree to disagree on Whitehead. He has lapses from time to time, but he and Mincy are easily the best players in our DB rotation.

On all the rest, I completely agree. Ellis Johnson has done a fine job with this defense. If canuck is digging for stats to support his bias, point to the 20 first downs and ignore the number of guys we played on Saturday.

At the start of the fourth quarter, our back seven consisted of: Holsey, Moncrief, Roberts, Reed, Ruffin, Mitchell, and Swain. In other words, we didn't have a starter near the field, and in some cases, we were playing the third string. But yeah, that group gave up 3 first downs and 45 yards before Reed's INT. Ellis and the defense must suck. Gimel President had as many snaps as any defensive lineman in the second half, and Kenny Flowers played a large chunk of time in the second half as well. We gave up 7 points in their first five drives while the offense (and special teams) scored 35. The ones were done by that point, if not earlier.

Our starters had an INT, forced two three and outs, and erroneously had a forced fumble taken off the board (the first play), but again, canuck, I think you should focus on the one coverage bust for 75 yards. By all means, ignore everything else.

WDEWDE, agree to disagree on Whitehead. He has lapses from time to time, but he and Mincy are easily the best players in our DB rotation.

On all the rest, I completely agree. Ellis Johnson has done a fine job with this defense. If canuck is digging for stats to support his bias, point to the 20 first downs and ignore the number of guys we played on Saturday.

At the start of the fourth quarter, our back seven consisted of: Holsey, Moncrief, Roberts, Reed, Ruffin, Mitchell, and Swain. In other words, we didn't have a starter near the field, and in some cases, we were playing the third string. But yeah, that group gave up 3 first downs and 45 yards before Reed's INT. Ellis and the defense must suck. Gimel President had as many snaps as any defensive lineman in the second half, and Kenny Flowers played a large chunk of time in the second half as well. We gave up 7 points in their first five drives while the offense (and special teams) scored 35. The ones were done by that point, if not earlier.

Our starters had an INT, forced two three and outs, and erroneously had a forced fumble taken off the board (the first play), but again, canuck, I think you should focus on the one coverage bust for 75 yards. By all means, ignore everything else.

Thats the problem right now as both Mincey & Whitehead are both ok. Whitehead play has been "bad" and this is from an AU coach. Mincey is just well Mincy. Have to get the new DB's some playing time under their belts. There is a reason 3 true freshman DB's have seen action.

And canuck has some valid points. The D has not played that well this year. I believe that the D will be playing pretty damn good midseason. Just have to get the younger guys some playing time. He is just barking up the wrong tree with Ellis. Ellis checked into a situation at AU that he just does not have much to work with. IMO.

Archived