Week 3 Notes - Sunday Update (9/07/14)

RunInRed

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can't hardly speak on here unless you sunshine pump without somebody jumping on you. If we play on D like we played this past week it wouldn't be good enough. Sjs qb wasn't even all that athletic. I wouldn't say we manhandled their o line at all Adams had some nice plays though. I didn't think Jones played all that bad the play he have up was one perfect throw the other I'm pretty sure a safety should have been helping out. Corners played ok they just showed to be susceptible against double moves though. We didn't seem like we could defend the slant that well so we have to get better at that. It's about time we get a consistent pass rush and at least one of the linebackers that can break down and make a tackle in space. We can do those things I know but it's time to stop talking about potential and show something

Sorry Caleb..... i call it like i see it....

As far as Waters' scrambling ability for K State, go back and watch our defense against Texas A&M last year. Obviously we gave up a ton of yards and points, but I really liked the game plan for our DL in that game. Instead of going for the sack, the goal was to create pressure while maintaining the pocket. One of the early interceptions we got and the last TAMU drive were well-executed examples of that strategy. Hopefully, we'll employ the same sort of patient attack against K State.

Which is so ironic. You'd think we'd have a decent idea of how to stop a running QB given we practice against it every day.

Do we? Do our 1's go against 1's? I thought they were more going against a scout team that is trying to implement the opposing teams schemes. How often in season do our 1's go up against our 1's?

It seems with Ellis we are going to have to deal with an average defense. I am not impressed. I can not believe we have that little ability in the secondary and at linebacker and on the DL that we can not man handle teams like spartans at the line of scrimmage.There is no reason for wide open receivers and missed assignments from JRS AND SRS. (DLespecially on the qb scrambles).... Maybe i am wrong and we still have not the experience or talent...or etc...

I see us outscoring ...... if we put away the mistakes and timing problems we had saturday. I think coates not being there put a kink in the rhythm and threw everyone else out of timing and place. We will see. Home field advantage can not be counted out. I see us winning by 10

What are you talking about? We've given up one (fluke) touchdown in the last 6 quarters and are in the top 50 defensively. Monty Adams manhandled SJSU's line and McKenzy was flying to the ball. Not to mention 3 interceptions. With you the glass isn't half empty, it is empty.

San Jose State...SAN JOSE STATE...rolled up big plays and big yards on our starters of this edition of Ellisball. Of the many head scratching issues he's bringing to the table this year, being apparently utterly unprepared for most of the first quarter against juggernauts Arky and SJS is tops. Do that against KState...or most of our remaining opponents...and we're in a 3-4 TD hole. Late in the game SJS was still ripping off big plays against our starters. Ellis needs to donate about half his paycheck to Gus & Rhett. His quote about 60 of the 77 defensive plays being "about as good as you'll ever see" is laughably clueless.

Honest opinion question: if you replaced CEJ with Bud Foster (VaTech's DC) or the fellow in charge of Mich St's D, would it make a difference? Is it personnel or scheme or both?

Last year's D certainly appeared to get better as the season went on and at times as a particular game went on.

A Tubs era D with a Gus O....would be fun, but bottom line: Just. Keep. Winning.

Id hardly call 300 yards big yards in this day and age of offense. One play generated a third of their passing yards. Had 3 interceptions and one bad call negated a fumble. They ran the ball 45 times gained 65 yards. Held to only 3 points in the second half and 0 in the 4th quarter. I'll take that EVERY GAME and twice on Sundays. Some people need to come back down to reality and stop pumping too much and some need to take a chill pill and realize we've played 2 games and everyone knew they were efficient passing the ball and we made them look mediocre at best

We have to understand that right now in college football, the offenses have an advantage over the defenses. So it will not be like it was a few years ago where defenses would win you the game. Our offense will most if not all the games we play in for us. Our defense's job will be to keep our offense in the game and allow them to control the tempo so that they can win. Our defense is okay and it will do the job, until we play an explosive offense that rivals our offense. College football has changed and we can't judge the offenses and defenses like we did 10 years ago. Just saying :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

My plan B hope (after CEJ suddenly coaching the best season of his career) is that Muscamp gets fired, we demote CEJ (which would never happen, but he's brilliant recruiter) and Will returns to the Plains as DC.

San Jose State...SAN JOSE STATE...rolled up big plays and big yards on our starters of this edition of Ellisball. Of the many head scratching issues he's bringing to the table this year, being apparently utterly unprepared for most of the first quarter against juggernauts Arky and SJS is tops. Do that against KState...or most of our remaining opponents...and we're in a 3-4 TD hole. Late in the game SJS was still ripping off big plays against our starters. Ellis needs to donate about half his paycheck to Gus & Rhett. His quote about 60 of the 77 defensive plays being "about as good as you'll ever see" is laughably clueless.

You're laughably clueless...

The sky is not falling. We were 16 points better than Vegas expected us to be in that game. A 46 point win is always a good thing. The big play is a slight concern going forward but definitely a learning point in the many days we have before the Thursday night game. Look for us to be well-prepared for K-State

Id hardly call 300 yards big yards in this day and age of offense. One play generated a third of their passing yards. Had 3 interceptions and one bad call negated a fumble. They ran the ball 45 times gained 65 yards. Held to only 3 points in the second half and 0 in the 4th quarter. I'll take that EVERY GAME and twice on Sundays. Some people need to come back down to reality and stop pumping too much and some need to take a chill pill and realize we've played 2 games and everyone knew they were efficient passing the ball and we made them look mediocre at best

+1

I see us getting K-State in 2nd and long and 3rd and long in many situations and then Waters running that QB draw for a first down, which will be quite frustrating. Gotta have a spy or something. Hopefully Ellis has something prepared. He adjusted to SJSU having their QB scrambling, I think he had Cassanova as a spy at one point.

It's so frustrating watching teams convert 3rd and LONG on us.

I see us getting K-State in 2nd and long and 3rd and long in many situations and then Waters running that QB draw for a first down, which will be quite frustrating. Gotta have a spy or something. Hopefully Ellis has something prepared. He adjusted to SJSU having their QB scrambling, I think he had Cassanova as a spy at one point.

It's so frustrating watching teams convert 3rd and LONG on us.

The same 3rd down defense that generated 2 picks and 3 sacks the last game?

I've had this running conversation with canuck for a while, how exactly do you get in a 3-4 TD hole in the first quarter? How many possessions do you think teams get during the opening quarter? What happened to our offense? Did we forget how to play on that side of the ball as well?

Also, you might want to rewatch the second half. We didn't stay with our starters for most of the second half. We had a few of them mixed into different personnel groupings. Gimel President had more snaps in the second half as any defensive lineman. Kenny Flowers played a ton. Holsey and Reed saw more of the field than Mincy and Jones. Stephen Roberts played a good bit. I think there was a Khari Harding sighting. Tre Williams played a good bit till he was pulled. All of those guys are backups.

The defense is getting better. That was a competent passing offense that burned us on two deep balls. Holsey's play was just a bust. He misread it, and they put the ball up on time. It happens. It happened to FSU twice in the national title game last year. Is Jeremy Pruitt a moron too? On the second deep one (Jones in coverage), he leveraged the WR like he had inside help, but I'm guessing that was his error. He was pulled from the game, and it looked like both Safeties were in man. I haven't looked at the play enough to figure out who messed up, but my guess is Jones was just wrong on his help.

This is the second team we've seen where the only success they had on the ground was with counters and draws. That's a sign of improvement to me. Clearly, they don't think they can line up and drive us off the ball. When Arkansas tried to do that in the second half, they ran for 2 yards. SJSU never really tried. Teams are voluntarily going one-dimensional against us with draws, counters, and pass heavy approaches. It's not really working. We had a bad second quarter against Arkansas. Other than that, we've put 7 good quarters on the tape, but by all means, keep focusing on the negative.

There weren't many plays where it appeared our Defense was out schemed. There were some missed assignments, and I'm not sure how much of that you put on the coach vs the player.

Regarding the bust by Holsey, he was out of football for almost a year due to injury, and now that he's back he is at a different position than he played in this scheme last season. I say we give the guy a break. This Defense has linebackers at new spots, multiple guys back from season long injuries last year (Jeff W., Justin G, and Holsey), new comers in the secondary (Reed, Moncrief) and a shuffled D-line due to the loss of Lawson.

They have had two games to start ironing out the wrinkles. I expect the Defense to improve as the season goes on, barring injury. The fact they play better as the games have gone into the 4th quarter is encouraging.

Step back from the ledge.

I don't understand the handwringing about the Auburn defensive performance thus far.

As I dropped in another thread

Take away the 75 yard td pass and the SJ qb ends up with 179 yards on 18-31 passing. And SJSU finishes with 244 total yards. Almost 25% of their entire offensive production from scrimmage came on one play. SJ ran 77 plays so the defense did pretty good on the other 76. 3.21 yards per play.

I'd give this game a solid B. We made some mistakes but overall we played well. It's game 2. If we play like that all year we won't reach our goals, but we should improve. And if we can improve, I think we have a great chance of making the playoff. So relax. The coaches are not sitting there thinking we have arrived. Look at us in game 2 last year. We are miles ahead this year.

I don't understand the handwringing about the Auburn defensive performance thus far.

As I dropped in another thread

Take away the 75 yard td pass and the SJ qb ends up with 179 yards on 18-31 passing. And SJSU finishes with 244 total yards. Almost 25% of their entire offensive production from scrimmage came on one play. SJ ran 77 plays so the defense did pretty good on the other 76. 3.21 yards per play.

This makes to much sense. I'm surprised the server hosting this forum didnt completely burn up during 2012!

Archived