My Kansas State Trip

watsontiger98

Just looking at their stadium, it's hard to believe it could be very loud.

Actually, the way it's built, I can see exactly why it's so loud. For one, that big vertical glass wall above the stands (for what I assume are offices, skyboxes/suites) would tend to act as a great big sounding board reflecting a lot of the noise back in to the stadium rather than just allowing it to dissipate. And there are other architectural features of that stadium that would tend to do much the same thing as far as reflecting/concentrating the noise.

Think of it like this...

A 500 watt amp and a couple of Peavy speakers in the great outdoors won't be all that loud unless you're right up close. Now put that same amp and speaker set in a 200 seat club and it would be loud everywhere.

Actually, the way it's built, I can see exactly why it's so loud. For one, that big vertical glass wall above the stands (for what I assume are offices, skyboxes/suites) would tend to act as a great big sounding board reflecting a lot of the noise back in to the stadium rather than just allowing it to dissipate. And there are other architectural features of that stadium that would tend to do much the same thing as far as reflecting/concentrating the noise.

Think of it like this...

A 500 watt amp and a couple of Peavy speakers in the great outdoors won't be all that loud unless you're right up close. Now put that same amp and speaker set in a 200 seat club and it would be loud everywhere.

It's a similar effect as that of Auburn Arena vs. Beard-Eaves: funnel the noise down on the field/court. I can't imagine K-State's stadium being on the same level as Jordan-Hare when we're at full capacity, but being that they aren't going to draw 80,000 plus fans too often, the added space would diminish the noise level when those seats were unoccupied.

My wife and I went to the game. Had a great time. Fans were ultra nice. Yes, the crowd was LOUD. Here are some pics. First one is panoramic shot. Edit: My first time posting pics. Looks like it links to album. Open it and click on each pic, especially panoramic to get full effect.

Think of it like this...

That makes acoustical sense. I guess it makes up for the open end.

Archived