Iowa State AD calls out Big 12 officials

cooltigger21

Officials are human and make mistakes, of course. They can certainly be maddening mistakes but if they ARE mistakes, that can be accepted by pretty much anybody who's ever been associated with sports. It's part of the game....

Now, I didn't see the game in question (why would I?) but I'll say this, just going back to AU's experience in K-State. I'm sorry but for there to be an entire football game where one team gets zero, zilch, nada penalties except for the 1 penalty that was quickly cancelled out by a QUESTIONABLE penalty on AU, then that's just plain ole fishy.

I try to never cry about officiating as it DOES come off as sour grapes and cry-babying but I think it's key to understand what is his gripe? Are they complaining about mistakes?? ....or they trying to cry foul play??

If it's mistakes, then just take it like a man (like every team in football has to) BUT if he's claiming something fishy, then that might need to be addressed. And after the AU-KSU game.... one has to wonder if the Big12 DOES have an agenda since they are the conference really on their soapbox leading the anti-SEC rant. Are they trying to steer who wins the conference to make sure they're in the playoffs, etc....

Not saying I think this... just wondering if that's the angle they're coming from?

I agree with the AD. He had a great point and that is that coaching careers and AD careers can be dependent on officiating if they continue to show a pattern of miscalls. If an officiating crew gets suspended, that is no big deal. How much money do they miss out on? Not much. And don't give me the crap about how $1,000 or whatever is a big deal to some people. It isn't when compared to the millions at stake for upper-position jobs, or winning titles for the university.

That said, I have always felt that instant replay is good, but silly. It is good that you can check things like "was the foot down inbounds or not" but I think it is silly that you can't review judgement calls. That is bullcrap on a stick. Everything is a judgement call. Targeting is reviewed and that is judgement. Was there pass interference or holding? Yes a judgement, but why not give the official a second look to re-evaluate his decision. And no, I am not concerned about every play being reviewed. I'm talking about obvious and big plays that make a big difference that provide the head coach a chance to challenge or the booth to review.

That said, I have always felt that instant replay is good, but silly. It is good that you can check things like "was the foot down inbounds or not" but I think it is silly that you can't review judgement calls. That is bullcrap on a stick. Everything is a judgement call. Targeting is reviewed and that is judgement. Was there pass interference or holding? Yes a judgement, but why not give the official a second look to re-evaluate his decision. And no, I am not concerned about every play being reviewed. I'm talking about obvious and big plays that make a big difference that provide the head coach a chance to challenge or the booth to review.

I agree with you 100% on this one. That has been a pet-peeve of mine ever since replay was allowed.

Recommend everyone go watch the post-game presser for HC Butch Jones of UT. His team lost 10-9 on a last second FG by UF. And there's evidence that the FG play occurred after the play clock had reached zero. Jones was asked by a reporter if UT had said anything to the SEC head office. His reply (after a pregnant pause) was a simple, "Yes." No crying, no posturing, no excuses even though he had much more reason to complain than the idiot ISU AD.

I agree with you 100% on this one. That has been a pet-peeve of mine ever since replay was allowed.

You have to leave room for the refs to cheat somehow! That's how Ive always viewed that.

Recommend everyone go watch the post-game presser for HC Butch Jones of UT. His team lost 10-9 on a last second FG by UF. And there's evidence that the FG play occurred after the play clock had reached zero. Jones was asked by a reporter if UT had said anything to the SEC head office. His reply (after a pregnant pause) was a simple, "Yes." No crying, no posturing, no excuses even though he had much more reason to complain than the idiot ISU AD.

I think what happened at ISU was a culmination of at least two such games or maybe more. One time, he doesn't do that I don't think.

Props to him! This needs to happen more often, imo. It's ok for 18 year old kids playing football to get put through the wringer by the press, TV, internet etc, but somehow it is totally inappropriate to call out an 40 yr old officlal that is getting paid when his/their actions are suspect. I don't get it - this code of protecting them as if they are little league volunteers or something. They get paid to do a job. A player screws up, no one hesitates to say it. A ref does it and it's shhhh....dont mention it. I know you have to keep things under control, but imo refs need to be called out more than what happens. It would make them more accountable.

Have you ever officiated a game? If not, I encourage you to call your local tv, radio station or newspaper and find out who to contact to get involved in officiating. Whether you realize or or not, the officials are NEUTRAL. They aren't there for either team. They have a job to do. They don't see things the same way we as fans see them. They also only see the play ONCE. They don't have the benefit of seeing it from multiple angles and in slow motion. They have to see the whole play, decide what if anything is there and then react to throw a flag (or not throw it). What this AD did is a direct violation of the code of ethics he agreed to uphold. It's not up for debate and its not ever going to go away. Since I doubt you've ever officiated a game, let me clue you in on something. ALL OFFICIALS are constantly evaluated. They are critiqued after every game. We had a crew in the SEC that was suspended for a week because of some things that happened on the field (I believe it was last year or the year before). Whether you realize it or not the officials are ALWAYS held accountable. They are held accountable through the proper and ethical forms of communication. This is from the rule book.

Talking to Officials

When an official imposes a penalty or makes a decision, he simply is doing

his duty as he sees it. He is on the field to uphold the integrity of the game of

football, and his decisions are final and conclusive and should be accepted by

players and coaches.

The AFCA Code of Ethics states:

a. On- and off-the-record criticism of officials to players or to the public

shall be considered unethical.

b. For a coach to address, or permit anyone on his bench to address,

uncomplimentary remarks to any official during the progress of a game,

or to indulge in conduct that might incite players or spectators against

the officials, is a violation of the rules of the game and must likewise be

considered conduct unworthy of a member of the coaching profession.

I know that CGM couldn't say anythig without looking bad but that Kansas State game was called so embarressingly biased that the Big 12 should have shame for their refs.

I still don't know why we don't have NCAA ref's in every conference. Instead of conference based refs. I still say there is a bias for top ranked teams with the refs to keep them top ranked. I have seen a lot of calls slip towards the higher ranked teams in years past. Once you get to mid season you end up with a lot of bias coming out of the refs. Just look at all the breaks Number 3 Alabama got at Ole Miss.

Everyone questions the no-call face mask but what about the INT to end the game? Ref quickly called ole miss Db out of bounds when he clearly had BOTH feet in. Typical uat game...

Actually that's not true. One foot landed inbounds and the other foot landed out of bounds. When you understand the concepts of officiating its very easy to understand how and why he may not have seen the first foot land in bounds. The backjudge is the ONLY official that is responsible for the end line. He is looking at the end line to see if they player touches it in any way. Since he's watching the end line, its extremely easy to not see the first foot land in bounds. This is a textbook example of what replay was put in place to correct. The replay booth looked at it and CORRECTLY reversed the call. To assume they are cheating just because they don't see something is just being short sighted.

Wow. Now I am wrong AND short sighted. I have officiated. No, it is not easy. Mostly a thankless job. But, having watched uat linemen holding on virtually every play for MANY years and every uat pass pattern involves an illegal pick , it makes one ponder the possibilities .....just MY humble opinion...

Yes I have officiated games. High school baseball and basketball . It is a thankless job, and I disagree with the nonsense that some officials DO NOT try to influence the game. I saw it all the time. I still know of those who do it. It's why I dont officiate anymore. You either had to constantly deal with incompetence of who you were working with or someone being buddy, buddy with certain coaches.So I would be a fool to think in college football, where there are millions of dollars involved, and many officials very big fans and alums of certain schools, that there isn't corruption involved to some degree. They are too protected in their little club. I think anyone that thinks there isnt some corruption involved - especially in the SEC - has their head firmly implanted in the sand.

Some folks should take a look at where the officials originate from, where is their hometown, where did they play college ball, who employ's them fulltime and where do they make a living, etc.

I think what happened at ISU was a culmination of at least two such games or maybe more. One time, he doesn't do that I don't think.

I would guess probably more. I think the Big 12 tries and protects teams. I am a Texas fan and I have no problems saying the ref's saved Texas against Kansas with that Offensive PI they called the year Mangino said it was all about the BCS.

ISU feels really robbed against Texas before also.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9768337/iowa-state-cyclones-coach-paul-rhoads-blasts-big-12-officiating

Ok State could contend for a playoff spot if they get through with only that loss to FSU.

So everyone knows the AD was fined a record 25k, what does everyone think of that? Was it justified should he have kept his mouth shut, yes Butch did it but he knows the SEC doesn't give a crap and will hammer down but a the end of the day if you were screwed you were screwed.

Of course the fine was justified. The ISU AD is an idiot for speaking out in that venue! Hope he likes Ames, IA because he isn't going to be hired by any other university for such a bone-headed PR disaster. In any sport, the game officials are responsible for making the judgment calls that neither team could make otherwise due to inherent bias. It has to be this way and to allow people in positions of responsibility (coaches, ADs, presidents, etc.) to openly criticize officiating undermines the integrity of the game. That's not to say that officials can't be criticized at all -- fans, sportswriters & other media folks do it all the time.

Of course the fine was justified. The ISU AD is an idiot for speaking out in that venue! Hope he likes Ames, IA because he isn't going to be hired by any other university for such a bone-headed PR disaster. In any sport, the game officials are responsible for making the judgment calls that neither team could make otherwise due to inherent bias. It has to be this way and to allow people in positions of responsibility (coaches, ADs, presidents, etc.) to openly criticize officiating undermines the integrity of the game. That's not to say that officials can't be criticized at all -- fans, sportswriters & other media folks do it all the time.

Ok but what do you do with inept or biased officials that are not dealt with. You have to know that for him to get up and make a public statement like that means that this isn't just a one off incident He has made his thoughts known to the league office but apparently nothing had been done. Sometimes you have shame someone publicly to get them to do the thing they should have done all along. Inept and biased officials undermine the integrity of the game as much or more than any public criticism of them. Big 12 officials do play favorites. I've seen it too many times. Hell SEC officials play favorites too.

Honestly its been a few years of him going through official channels. The rules that keep people from talking against the officials are pretty convenient to the officials even when they are screwing up game results with bad calls. He was right to complain openly. More schools need to complain openly. Maybe the quality of the zebra's will get better if there is open communication on what the fixes need to be.

Specifics, not general statements. If the ISU AD would have specified even ONE controversial call then maybe "something would be done." But to make it a blanket criticism of ALL officials is neither helpful (to his cause) nor productive to getting anything changed. He was wrong. As it stands, the "optics" are of him complaining after a 17-point loss. Not good.

Archived