2005 outlook

Aubie7

AUBURN TIGERS

OFFENSE - 7 ------RETURNING STARTERS------ DEFENSE - 6

KEY LOSSES

OFFENSE: Jason Campbell-QB, Carnell Williams-TB, Ronnie Brown-TB, Jeremy Ingle-C, Danny Lindsey-OG

DEFENSE: Bret Eddins-DE, Jay Ratliff-DT, Doug Langenfeld-DE, Carlos Rogers-CB, Junior Rosegreen-S

Linebacker, Receiver

All three veteran LBs are set to return, led by team leading tackler Travis Williams. The receiver cast is also a veteran group of seniors and juniors. Taylor, Aromashodu, Mix...take your pick.

Running Back, Quarterback

The duo of Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown will now play on Sundays. Left in the fold was a promising TB in Tre Smith until an injury sidelined his campaign. Can lefty Brandon Cox step in and replace Jason Campbell at QB?

WR Courtney Taylor LB Travis Williams

* DEPTH CHARTS were only designed as a simplistic gauge for listing players that departed and players that received the most playing experience (consistent starters). NationalChamps.net recognizes the importance of missing personnel data not listed such as redshirts, transfers, injuries, incoming recruits, back ups and alternates. Their coverage will begin with our full 2005 Preseason Preview due out this coming spring.

AUBURN 2005 DEPTH CHART

Returning Starters/Key Players

OFFENSE

QB Brandon Cox-So ..

FB Jake Slaughter-Sr ..

TB Carl Stewart-So Tre Smith-Sr

WR Devin Aromashodu-Sr Ben Obomanu-Sr

WR Courtney Taylor-Jr Anthony Mix-Sr

TE Cooper Wallace-Sr ..

OT Marcus McNeill-Sr ..

OG Ben Grubbs-Jr ..

C Steven Ross-Sr ..

OG .. ..

OT Troy Reddick-Sr ..

K John Vaughn-Jr ..

DEFENSE

DE Marquies Gunn-Jr ..

DT .. ..

DT T.J. Jackson-Sr Josh Thompson-So

DE Stanley McClover-So Quentin Groves-So

SLB Kevin Sears-Jr Karibi Dede-Jr

MLB Travis Williams-Sr ..

WLB Antarrious Williams-Sr ..

CB .. ..

CB Montavis Pitts-Jr ..

S .. ..

S Will Herring-Jr ..

P Kody Bliss-Jr ..

QUICK ANALYSIS

First question: Can Auburn repeat another undefeated regular season? The quick answer: not likely. Do not let this fact, however, deter lofty expectations. The Tigers are losing both star TBs in Carnell Williams and Ronnie Brown, plus a Heisman candidate at QB in Jason Campbell and two potential All-American DBs in Junior Rosegreen and Carlos Rogers. Outside of these departures, though, Auburn is set to compete for the SEC crown. Ultimately, that has also meant a shot at the national crown these last two seasons. 2004 commenced and the big concern was how well this depleted DL would withstand the grindstone that is the SEC. Oh, that's right, it held up nicely. The AU defense did not allow a 100-yard rusher in 2004 and it took until late October for an opponent to actually score a rushing touchdown (foes only got into the end zone 13 times total - an NCAA low - against their No.1 scoring defense). Much credit can also be handed to the LBs for this high level of play. All three return, so do the math. The receivers are of top caliber and plentiful, however, look for Auburn to be in a defensive mindset until lefty Brandon Cox shows what he can do calling the signals. Cox was named MVP of the 2004 A-Day spring game after completing 12-of-13 passes. His progress, and the maturity of the ball carriers, is what will define the '05 Tigers as either a team falling from grace or continuing their rabid pace to win another title.

2005 FOOTBALL SCHEDULE

9-3-05 GEORGIA TECH

9-10-05 MISSISSIPPI STATE

9-17-05 BALL STATE

9-24-05 SOUTHERN MISS

10-1-05 SOUTH CAROLINA

10-15-05 at Arkansas

10-22-05 at Louisiana State

10-29-05 MISSISSIPPI

11-5-05 at Kentucky

11-12-05 at Georgia

11-19-05 ALABAMA

2005 FOOTBALL SCHEDULE

9-3-05 GEORGIA TECH 

9-10-05 MISSISSIPPI STATE 

9-17-05 BALL STATE 

9-24-05 SOUTHERN MISS 

10-1-05 SOUTH CAROLINA 

10-15-05 at Arkansas 

10-22-05 at Louisiana State

10-29-05 MISSISSIPPI

11-5-05 at Kentucky 

11-12-05 at Georgia 

11-19-05 ALABAMA

131024[/snapback]

Looks like we could possibly be 5 and 0 going into the Arkansas game. Possibly lose 2 straight, win 2, and lose 2 more? Tech will be tough and another possible loss, but we get them early, which may help us more than them. Southern Miss may pull out of our game and leave us with another Citadel situation.

At best, right now, 7-4 or 8-3

11-0....'Till somebody beats us on the field, instead of on paper, I am not gonna' concede ANYTHING ! ! !

WAR EAGLE...O N E at a time. :au:

"At best, right now, 7-4 or 8-3"

or AT WORST 7-4 or 8-3 ;)

How good will Georgia and Arkansas be in '05? Seems they will be loosing some key players similar to Auburn. IMO, Alabama could be the contender for the SEC title with :ut: in the east. LSU will be a tough game but i like our chances with our returning starters on defense.

I think we will go 9-2 with losses from Alabamer and LSwho.

hopefully the younger guys have watched and learned from the seniors. If they have the heart and carry on the attitude of this team, which they will, I cant see us not winning at least 8 or 9 games although they might be closer wins than we had this year. War Eagle

With CTT at coach and our QB we don't have a chance of going undefeated. They always blow a few should win games every season.

Oh way minute; that was last years off-season post.

11 FREAKING 0 till proven otherwise!!!

Remember how USC did with a new QB. 12-1

I think Auburn OFFICALLY has the swagger now.

LOOK OUT FOR KENNY IRONS at RB.

Will be good season but I think lack of experience at QB will hurt us when we go to LSU.

As I said before. 2006 will be the year we rise again. 2005 will be the rebuilding and beginning for 2006.

2006 will be the year if no one leaves early. (McClover) Defense will be great not to mention we will have the #1 LB in high school playing by then if he does not change his mind when signing day comes.

2005: 8-3 probably, 9-2 best. 7-4 wor...... NEVER! 8-3 worse.

I almost agree with TigerTaz but I do not think Cox has the team USC has. I like the idea though.

131062[/snapback]

I saw Kenny Irons on the field several times at South Carolina. He didn't get that much PT, but what I saw was impressive - for real.

Look out is right.

Our biggest obvious concern is the defensive secondary.

We've got Montavis Pitts and Will Herring. Both steady but both caused us some embarassment this year. (AL and TN.) Don't know what to expect out of cornerbacks. (Shudder.)

Normally I would say, "Look at what Chizik did this year after the losses off the '03 team". He worked a not-so-small miracle, but he didn't solve the Pitts-Herring problems.

Just hope we've got some studs in the pipeline, but I dunno'.

Our biggest obvious concern is the defensive secondary. 

We've got Montavis Pitts and Will Herring.  Both steady but both caused us some embarassment this year.  (AL and TN.)  Don't know what to expect out of cornerbacks.  (Shudder.)

Normally I would say, "Look at what Chizik did this year after the losses off the '03 team".  He worked a not-so-small miracle, but he didn't solve the Pitts-Herring problems.

Just hope we've got some studs in the pipeline, but I dunno'.

131129[/snapback]

Don't forget we get David Irons back.

The AU defense did not allow a 100-yard rusher in 2004

Didn't UT have a 100yd rusher in the SECCG???

131168[/snapback]

Yeah, Riggs had 180+ on 11 carries, but I'm sure what Aubie7 meant to say was no 100yd rusher during the regular season. Still a very huge task.

11 FREAKING 0 till proven otherwise!!!

Remember how USC did with a new QB.  12-1

I think Auburn OFFICALLY has the swagger now.

131062[/snapback]

Kenny Irons WILL be THE TB. Stewart will be the other TB in the two back set. Unless Tre comes back healthy...then they'll mix him in too. He could be really good in the slot. I really see Irons as MORE the Carnell type, and Carl the Ronnie type...though some may disagree.

We should be athletic, but inexperienced to a degree (qb), and 9-2 to 7-4 are all a possibility. Anything above 9-2 would be gravy.

Anything above 9-2 would be gravy.

I agree. LSU's season this year is proof that experienced QBs are extremely difficult to replace...despite their claims to the contrary, Russell just couldn't come in and pick up where Matt Mauck left off...Early Doucet and Xavier Carter couldn't replace the production of Devery Henderson and Mark Clayton.

We're getting back the core of our receivers (Taylor, Obomanu, Aromashodu), but whoever the new QB may be, he's going to be inexperienced as far as meaningful game action goes...mop-up duty against the Citadel and others is not even close to leading a team out there when it's 0-0.

The one player we will miss more than any other in 2005 is Jason Campbell.

Archived